Goodbye Wishes! Hello Happily Ever After!

We'll probably try to do the SW dessert party on our next trip, but wish that the reserved area really did give a better view.

Agreed, I let my son sit up front with some other boys and I was at the rope. But some fellows with a woman in an ECV basically parked themselves right in front of me so that didn't help much. It felt like a lot of people packed into a small area. I got to see pretty well but I'm glad my son had a really good view since he's rather short. Next time I might try to hang further back on the left side of the section, maybe there will be some more breathing room. And hopefully people will be in Animal Kingdom instead ;)

I think this is great news - it is time for a change. I doubt they will reduce the number of fireworks either, as that will have a detrimental effect on all those reservations at California Grill and fireworks cruises.

Hmm we'll have to wait and see...

Projection shows elsewhere have generally meant less fireworks... plus you'll obviously be missing out on a lot of the storyline outside the parks anyway if you cant see the projections. Are disney stupid enough or rather so obsessed with cost saving that they'll not only cut down on fireworks but also not bother with the sound into Cali Grill / etc going forward??

From recent form from Disney, I fear the answer will not be possitive on this.

My very first thought on this news was "what about Cali grill and those that watch from the Poly" - a projection heavy show really wont work for them surely?

So in all the discussion about the new FW show, I think I zigged when I should have zagged...

Are you thinking now that the projection show will be a PART of the FW show, rather than like now, where the projection show is before the FW? I missed that somewhere....

So in all the discussion about the new FW show, I think I zigged when I should have zagged...

Are you thinking now that the projection show will be a PART of the FW show, rather than like now, where the projection show is before the FW? I missed that somewhere....
They are 2 different things but based on their names, going to be related.
They will continue to have the brand new Projection show Once Upon a Time
They will also have a new Fireworks and Projection show called Happily Ever After

They are 2 different things but based on their names, going to be related.
They will continue to have the brand new Projection show Once Upon a Time
They will also have a new Fireworks and Projection show called Happily Ever After
Ah...OK, thanks...I get it now. Duh.

Others have mentioned the increased use of projections.....
.... as well as the cruises, and "Fireworks viewing from the CA Grill".

Anyone ever considered.... ALL of the venues that involve remote viewing will be de-valued. You can not SEE Castle projections from a cruise, or Restaurant.

Others have mentioned the increased use of projections.....
.... as well as the cruises, and "Fireworks viewing from the CA Grill".

Anyone ever considered.... ALL of the venues that involve remote viewing will be de-valued. You can not SEE Castle projections from a cruise, or Restaurant.
Been discussed a lot. The Blog post said that all current viewing locations will still be good locations for viewing the new show. I agree that seems strange considering projections. May be whoever wrote it is blowing smoke and may be whoever wrote it knows what they are talking about. They'll have a dickens of a time selling a Fireworks Viewing Cruise if you can't view it, that much I know

:sad:

That said, the video looks amazing. I think I'm extra upset because of MSEP leaving not that long ago, and now Wishes. Its like a double shock in a relatively short amount of time. I'd honestly be more excited about this show if it wasn't replacing an "iconic" on for me.

We were planning on checking in May 14th, but looks like we will need to book something for a few days earlier to see Wishes one more time. Another new thing for us to look forward to, I suppose.

Just booked the dessert party for the 11th. Don't want to have to fight for a good view for the last showing. Was thinking about doing a dessert party this trip anyway, but this announcement convinced me to book it.

Last edited:
Hmm we'll have to wait and see...

Projection shows elsewhere have generally meant less fireworks... plus you'll obviously be missing out on a lot of the storyline outside the parks anyway if you cant see the projections. Are disney stupid enough or rather so obsessed with cost saving that they'll not only cut down on fireworks but also not bother with the sound into Cali Grill / etc going forward??

From recent form from Disney, I fear the answer will not be possitive on this.

My very first thought on this news was "what about Cali grill and those that watch from the Poly" - a projection heavy show really wont work for them surely?
I could be wrong but doesn't Wishes currently include projections? I know it's firework centric but that there were some images. I could be thinking of the preshow ( can't remember the name right now. Stupid brain!)

Last edited:
I could be wrong but doesn't Wishes currently include projections? I know it's firework centric but that there were some images. I could be thinking of the Preston ( can't remember the name right now. Stupid brain!)
Not really. It's mostly lighting changes during Wishes.

:sad:

That said, the video looks amazing. I think I'm extra upset because of MSEP leaving not that long ago, and now Wishes. Its like a double shock in a relatively short amount of time. I'd honestly be more excited about this show if it wasn't replacing an "iconic" on for me.

We were planning on checking in May 14th, but looks like we will need to book something for a few days earlier to see Wishes one more time. Another new thing for us to look forward to, I suppose.

Just booked the dessert party for the 11th. Don't want to have to fight for a good view for the last showing. Was thinking about doing a dessert party this trip anyway, but this announcement convinced me to book it.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm feeling like I am on the same page about Wishes being "iconic" to me.

I remember seeing it my first time on a 13th Birthday trip with my best friend and our moms, and since then its become the one thing I MUST do each trip. I have such a connection with this show. On a recent trip, I found out my grandfather died the first day we were there and I found out right before Wishes and thought the show would be ruined for me. Then last month, my boyfriend proposed to me during it and it meant the world to me. This was a dream proposal for me and I am so happy he did it when he did.

We thought we would get the chance to see it on our honeymoon in October and relive the moment. So naturally I am heartbroken.

I am attempting to plan a two day trip solely to see the last showing (or second to last) with my best friend and fiancé. The only problem is I can't seem to get a value resort now, so if anyone has any thoughts on how to get there for cheap, please share! (we are even considering camping!)

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm feeling like I am on the same page about Wishes being "iconic" to me.

I remember seeing it my first time on a 13th Birthday trip with my best friend and our moms, and since then its become the one thing I MUST do each trip. I have such a connection with this show. On a recent trip, I found out my grandfather died the first day we were there and I found out right before Wishes and thought the show would be ruined for me. Then last month, my boyfriend proposed to me during it and it meant the world to me. This was a dream proposal for me and I am so happy he did it when he did.

We thought we would get the chance to see it on our honeymoon in October and relive the moment. So naturally I am heartbroken.

I am attempting to plan a two day trip solely to see the last showing (or second to last) with my best friend and fiancé. The only problem is I can't seem to get a value resort now, so if anyone has any thoughts on how to get there for cheap, please share! (we are even considering camping!)
Probably have to look offsite.

Thats what I was thinking, but I've never stayed offsite, so I'm not sure where to look!
I'm not sure what your transportation situation is but do a search on one of the travel websites and it will give you an idea of what is available. Most have a function to show options on a map to gauge distance from WDW

Our favorite spot to watch wishes has always been Fantasyland. I hope that you won't have to have a direct view of the castle to still enjoy the fireworks!

Our favorite spot to watch wishes has always been Fantasyland. I hope that you won't have to have a direct view of the castle to still enjoy the fireworks!
I think @lockedoutlogic brought this up early on, but my only concern about this new show (because it looks beyond incredible) is that Disney will create a similar problem as DHS, where there is a very small piece of real estate from which you can see the projections. On the scale of an MK crowd, that could be a massive problem if everyone in the park that day has to physically try to squeeze into the hub and Main Street. It feels like everyone does that already, but plenty watch from other parts of the park, which eases congestion in front of the castle.

For all those concerned about the introduction of projections into the nighttime spectacular, have a look at what they do in Disneyland Paris. Disney Dreams has been running since the 20th anniversary and is just gorgeous. They are about to get an upgrade for the 25th anniversary with better quality projections and a new story line which I'm excited to see. Reviews have often said that Dreams is the best of the Disney fireworks shows.

They can't use as many fireworks (its rather close to residential areas) but with this as an idea of what we are looking at, I'd say the addition of projection will enhance, not detract.

I love wishes, but we will all have our memories. I'm really excited to see what comes of this. The music sounds fantastic :goodvibes

I think @lockedoutlogic brought this up early on, but my only concern about this new show (because it looks beyond incredible) is that Disney will create a similar problem as DHS, where there is a very small piece of real estate from which you can see the projections. On the scale of an MK crowd, that could be a massive problem if everyone in the park that day has to physically try to squeeze into the hub and Main Street. It feels like everyone does that already, but plenty watch from other parts of the park, which eases congestion in front of the castle.
Didn't someone say that in DL they project on the Main Street Buildings also. Maybe also project on the backside of the castle, Space Mountain, and other biggish buildings.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter