Goodbye Main Street Bakery....

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by WEDWDW, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Disney_Princess83

Disney_Princess83 DIS Veteran

They won't. :) DCA has very subtle signing. :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. floridagirl61

floridagirl61 Mouseketeer

Walt would be ashamed:sad1:

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Hi HO, hi ho, it's off to work we go

I wonder whose bright idea it was to refurb the outside at a different time than the inside. Seems it would have been more efficient to do them at the same time rather than closing the place down twice in less than a year.:confused:

5. CentralFloridian99

CentralFloridian99 The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they w

I don't get what the big deal is. Cinnamon Rolls are at Gaston's and a bunch of baked goods are at Storybook Circus. It is sad to see the bakery being replaced by something that isn't in that era.

6. Disney_Princess83

Disney_Princess83 DIS Veteran

I never really understand this argument. It always comes up anytime there is any kind of change at Disneyland or WDW :confused3 Walt was a business man, otherwise entry into Disneyland would have been free! He would have changed with the times as necessary to keep making money. While WDW will certainly continue to make money with or without a Starbucks, for years on these boards and I would imagine to Disney directly, people have been complaining about the coffee they offer so they are doing something about it. Like Starbucks or hate it, it seems to be the most popular coffee chain in the USA.

7. dreamcruiser

dreamcruiser Mouseketeer

I thought the same...BOO HOO is right! I hate Starbucks and the thought of them changing MK Bakery to a Starbucks "store" is just wrong.:sad1:

8. labdogs42

labdogs42 <font color=darkorchid>I managed to wrestle a play

Exactly! I would love to have access to good coffee in the parks, but I shouldn't have to lose the Bakery for it!

9. MrsBlovesDisney

MrsBlovesDisney DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info!! Have you purchased them there? Just curious on their hours. I need to do more research.....
    :thumbsup2

Thought Sleepy Hollow had very limited hours....will have to look into it again.

I don't drink coffee, but agree.....change the coffee, NOT the Bakery/offerings. From the Original post it sounds as if they are going to replace the Main St Bakery goods with Starbucks pastries, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.....

10. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

FWIW - you can get the cookie ice cream sandwiches at Sleepy Hollow. I don't agree with this change either, but at least you can get those somewhere else!

11. vacationer1954

vacationer1954 DIS Veteran

And it was actually under Walt Disney that Disney started having shops like this sponsored by major brands of the day.

12. momof2minnies

momof2minnies DIS Veteran

Do not like Starbucks- read this and my initial reaction outloud to myself was -ARE YIOU KIDDING ME???

I know they use other sponsers like Nestle but having the whole bakery taken over stinks.

They just bought Lucas films for $4 billion they can't need the extra revenue-HAHA!!!!

Linda

13. thedonduck

thedonduck DIS Veteran

It wasn't closed during the exterior remodel of I remember correctly. I have a feeling it has always been in the plans and they were just prepping for the change!

One thing I'm hoping for is that they fix all of the wasted space. The area around the checkout is so vast and under utilized that I hope the rearrange and fix it! I think there would could more a lot more seating and bakery case area if they do!!

14. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

My initial reaction to this recent announcement was a short and simple "Oh, carp." :headache:

I'm sure the outside facade will be understated and in keeping with the rest of Main Street. It probably will just be a replacement of the current signage. And I'm equally sure that the interior changes will be similarly treated.

And, unlike some of the PPs, I'm not concerned that yet another corporate sponsor has arrived- that's been going on since Day 1 at DL and is simply a fact of life in the Disney Parks. While I do like good coffee, I've never considered Starbucks to be that, but that's just my opinion. At least it's better than Nescafe.

My only concern is the possible loss of the current offerings at the bakery. Yes, I am aware that some of the items are available elsewhere. That's not the point. I want to be able to stop into the bakery on my way into (or out of) the park and get my x, y, or z. I'm not a big fan of the current Starbucks baked goods.

No amount of protesting by us is going to make any difference, however. This move has been in the works for a long time now. I'm sure it was a consideration when the major refurb was done last year. As with all things, we'll just have to wait and see, and hope for the best. :(

15. nmmom95

nmmom95 <font color=teal>I'm a pregnant lesbian in an inte

Whew! I'm good then.

16. WaltDaddy

WaltDaddy Earning My Ears

Is this for real? This is crazy - I worked for Starbucks in college - I love Starbucks - I would be fine ADDING Starbucks to WDW but not replacing TWO of my favorite spots!

17. reelmom

reelmom DIS Veteran

I am more upset about the EPCOT location also. We always go there on our first night of the trip. We sit outside by the fountain, eat our ice cream, and soak up the atmosphere. I'm not so upset about the Starbucks label, I'm upset about possibly changing our tradition. However, Walt said, "keep moving forward". I guess this is Disney's way. It is truly about the bottom line whether we like it or not.

18. MMrules

MMrules DIS Veteran

The Main Street Bakery is a classic tradition which will be missed. This saddens me so much b/c it changes the integrity of what Walt intially envisioned. I know times change but getting rid of that bakery and those amazing cinnamon buns is just heartbreaking:worried:

19. LucyBC80

LucyBC80 DIS Veteran

Am I the only one excited by this move? The DCA location is BEAUTIFUL and the signage really fits with the rest of stores around it. I'm sure the DI won't make the Starbucks in Main Street look like a sore thumb.

20. 720L

720L DIS Veteran

This! The outside doesn't scream Starbucks, so Main St isn't changed. I'm guessing they will still have the cinnamon rolls, because the one in DCA had Disney items in with the Starbucks items. I LOVED the one in DCA & am so excited for this. When we spend 10 days at Disney, I am dying for a decent cup of coffee after a couple days. This makes my favorite place in the world even better :cool1:.

21. momof2minnies

momof2minnies DIS Veteran

I have had 2 Starbucks coffees in my life and threw them both away-buckets of mud.

Linda