Goodbye Main Street Bakery....

You haven't heard?

Apparently, Disney is not only replacing MSB with a Starbucks, but they're also converting the Emporium into a Disney Store (like the ones in the mall), turning Casey's into a McDonald's, replacing Tony's with an Olive Garden, rebranding the Plaza Ice Cream Shop as a Ben & Jerry's, and turning the Confectionary into a Dylan's Candy Bar. It's all part of NextGen.

Wow, seriously?!? Somebody better have a waaaaaaaaambulance on stand-by at the DISboards then to deal with the outrage!

:rotfl2:

THIS! :thumbsup2 GMAB people...do some of you hear yourselves? Its a bakery. They are not stripping down Cinderella's Castle to build a Starbucks... and if you're not happy quit your whining on here and cancel your trip - be melodramatic by all means...at least then there will be less of a line up for me to grab a tea in the morning as I stroll down Main St USA. ;)

Ex-squeeze me? Translation please :goodvibes:

Other than that, fully agree :thumbsup2

Give Me A Break. And I also agree. ;)

The coffee and pastry items offered by Starbucks are better than any offered at MSB (the ONE good thing I ever had at MSB was the cookie sandwich, which is offered in multiple other locations) and the atmosphere won't change that drastically, especially if they're even making sure the employee costumes fit the location. So I don't have a problem with this at all.

Could someone really tech savy start an online petition or write a really good letter everyone could copy/paste into an email and send it to Disney. I would sign/do that!!

I saw on FB that someone started a petition on change.org :thumbsup2, but I can't find it??
Hail Mary!

Yeah I'd sign too! Keeping fingers crossed it is a smooth transistion and they keep the bakery stuff and just serve Starbucks coffee :coffee:

I really hate to burst your bubbles, but a petition will do absolutely nothing to change Disney's mind. At this point construction plans have already been drawn up and contracts have been signed. Unfortunately it's a done deal.

While I'm sad to hear they are replacing MSB, you have to remember that WDW is a business and a Starbucks is very profitable for them - especially when they've been hearing so many complaints about the terrible Nescafe coffee for years.

cac5e18cb07b2b9da421db96feba9bf6.png

You haven't heard?

Apparently, Disney is not only replacing MSB with a Starbucks, but they're also converting the Emporium into a Disney Store (like the ones in the mall), turning Casey's into a McDonald's, replacing Tony's with an Olive Garden, rebranding the Plaza Ice Cream Shop as a Ben & Jerry's, and turning the Confectionary into a Dylan's Candy Bar. It's all part of NextGen.
Some of that would actually be an improvement. :rotfl:

Actually, Main Street has already been homogenized and changed like crazy. Gone are the games and magic shop and theater and some of the other things that made it so unique. It's really mostly just one big Disney Store now.

Originally Posted by wdwmaw
Could someone really tech savy start an online petition or write a really good letter everyone could copy/paste into an email and send it to Disney. I would sign/do that!!

A petition will be a fruitless effort. It didn't save VMK, it didn't save the Adventure Club, it didn't save countless attractions and it is not going to keep this Starbucks from being added. The wheels are in motion, contracts have been signed, blueprints are drawn up and hands have been shook.

I am sure Disney appreciates the passion their fans and guests have, but in the end, as we have seen time and time again, it is about money.

Just add this to the list of things that people complain about, but praise after it opens and they realize it wasn't that bad :thumbsup2

Well I am THRILLED that I can get a decent coffie while at wdw:) if everyone hates the idea so much that just means I wont have to wait in a hour long line for my white mocha! I use to get up early each morning to drive to starbucks at the outlet for our coffie before going to the parks so now I can sleep in a extra few minutes. :)

I only hope that the folks protesting so loudly on this thread about Starbucks on Main Street patronize the local bakery businesses in their home towns, cities, & villages.

I am talking about "real" bakeries, and not purchasing baked products in grocery stores, big box stores, etc. After all, the small family businesses are the "authentic" bakery stores and should be helped economically so they are able to stay in business.

Let's not make this a "do as I say and not as I do" type of issue. Make sure you are spending your dollars in your local bakeries and not in chain store imitation bakeries.

disclaimer: this was intended to address the cinnamon roll, croissant, and other pastry issue being discussed. Coffee shops featuring coffee drinks as their primary offering are not meant to be included.

Just add this to the list of things that people complain about, but praise after it opens and they realize it wasn't that bad :thumbsup2

:thumbsup2I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Pretty soon, people will be singing the praises of this place on the Restaurant board the way they praise 'Ohana and Dole Whips. We will see phrases like: "best I've ever had"; "greatest"; and "must do" . And ten years from now when the contract isn't renewed and Dunkin' Donuts starts supplying the coffee, there will be a new thread just like this one with people lamenting the passage of the old and fearing the new.

Well I am THRILLED that I can get a decent coffie while at wdw:) if everyone hates the idea so much that just means I wont have to wait in a hour long line for my white mocha! I use to get up early each morning to drive to starbucks at the outlet for our coffie before going to the parks so now I can sleep in a extra few minutes. :)

I will be right there with you livie1205, except make mine a grande 5 pump cinnamon dolce latte!!! :yay: Welcome to Disney, Starbucks!!!!!

:thumbsup2

Probably in the minority here... but having experienced the "Starbucks" at DCA I am looking forward to being able to get SB on Main Street. At DCA they do not even refer to the place as Starbucks - it's the Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe (named for the three pigs). Believe me, people looking for Starbucks have a hard time finding it because it's so subtle. Also, the CMs are not in Starbucks aprons - they're in costume, albeit I think they are a light green. And they have all the traditional DL pastries - way more offerings than a typical SB. So I think people need to relax - no one has said they're taking away the Main Street pastries... just adding to the offerings.

Are you sure. this story said the main street bakery will close for refurbishment and reopen as a Starbucks. That says to me that it will be more like my corner starbucks than Main street bakery.

I'm just a gal that likes unique items a places. I've only been in starbucks on the East coast and the one in jersey is exactly like the one in Philly.

The Starbucks at MK and EPCOT will look nothing like outside Starbucks. If you google photos of the DCA location, you will clearly see how well it is themed.
I can't believe the hysteria Starbucks has managed to create. :lmao:People are cancelling trips, claiming Disney only cares about profit (they are a business, otherwise entry would be free!)

Disney is a business, first and formost. They actually are listening to patrons who have been complaining about their horrid coffee for years and years!

To all the people who are complaining, I hope that when you're in WDW you don't:

Drink Coke Products - sponsored by Coca Cola
Don't eat Ice Cream Sandwiches - Nestle Toll House Cookies
Never bought anything from the McDonald's Stands.
Rode Test Track - sponsored by General Motors
Rode Mission Space - sponsored by Hewlitt Packard
Bought anything from the Camera Shops or used Photopass - Kodak
Used a Guide Map - Clear Kodak advertising on these
Bought a cup of coffee - sponsored by Nestle
Went into the Land Pavilion - has been sponsored by Nestle
Used your Disney VISA - Sponsored by VISA
Bought or visited The Tea Caddy shop at EPCOT - sponsored by R. Twinings & Company Limited
Bought from or visited Weinkeller, in the Germany Pavilion - sponsored by
P.J. Valkenberg
Bought anything or visited Sculpture D'Arte, in the Italy Pavilion - sponsored by Miller Imports (Giuseppe Armani)

And the list goes on.....................................................

Disney is a business first and foremost. They have corporate sponsors and Starbucks has now been integrated as a presence. I don't think that this is the "end of Disney as we know it" we people seem to think. It's a coffee store!

I just hope there isn't a Starbucks logo sign hanging over Main Street. As long as they theme it to the area and still keep a lot of the baked good you could find at Main Street Bakery, I'll be fine with it.

No, there is no huge Starbucks sign. Check out the DCA location and you will see exactly what it looks like :thumbsup2

The employees in the DCA Starbucks are from Starbucks, but have Disney name tags. A vast member friend of mine said the same will happen at MK and they will receive Disney cast member training.

I thought they were Disney employees with Starbucks training :confused3 Either way, they have both :thumbsup2

I can't wait! The only item I like at the Main Street bakery was the breakfast croissant. I am excited about the new options. I read an article on the Disney Food Blog about the one added to Disneyland. It looks so good. I hope they do as good a job here at the Main Street MK location & the Fountain View location in Epcot.

Here is a copy of the review: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/...-fiddler-fifer-practical-cafe-with-starbucks/

I am excited!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The Starbucks at MK and EPCOT will look nothing like outside Starbucks. If you google photos of the DCA location, you will clearly see how well it is themed.
I can't believe the hysteria Starbucks has managed to create. :lmao:People are cancelling trips, claiming Disney only cares about profit (they are a business, otherwise entry would be free!)

Disney is a business, first and formost. They actually are listening to patrons who have been complaining about their horrid coffee for years and years!

To all the people who are complaining, I hope that when you're in WDW you don't:

Drink Coke Products - sponsored by Coca Cola
Don't eat Ice Cream Sandwiches - Nestle Toll House Cookies
Never bought anything from the McDonald's Stands.
Rode Test Track - sponsored by General Motors
Rode Mission Space - sponsored by Hewlitt Packard
Bought anything from the Camera Shops or used Photopass - Kodak
Used a Guide Map - Clear Kodak advertising on these
Bought a cup of coffee - sponsored by Nestle
Went into the Land Pavilion - has been sponsored by Nestle
Used your Disney VISA - Sponsored by VISA
Bought or visited The Tea Caddy shop at EPCOT - sponsored by R. Twinings & Company Limited
Bought from or visited Weinkeller, in the Germany Pavilion - sponsored by
P.J. Valkenberg
Bought anything or visited Sculpture D'Arte, in the Italy Pavilion - sponsored by Miller Imports (Giuseppe Armani)

And the list goes on.....................................................

Disney is a business first and foremost. They have corporate sponsors and Starbucks has now been integrated as a presence. I don't think that this is the "end of Disney as we know it" we people seem to think. It's a coffee store!

No, there is no huge Starbucks sign. Check out the DCA location and you will see exactly what it looks like :thumbsup2

I thought they were Disney employees with Starbucks training :confused3 Either way, they have both :thumbsup2

I do not support hysteria of canceling trips and I do see Disney as business but why not to place SB somewhere else. Why did they have to mess with icon, I do not get it. Place it somewhere else in parks and put a huge SB sign, I would not care, but MSB, no way. There are plenty of empty spots in parks, why not to use them. I see it as a poor decision.

What a funny thread, thanks for the laughs everyone

How many threads have there been complaining about the coffee at WDW? When they make a change people still complain. Cancelling trips, worrying about a Starbucks sign obscuring the Castle - come on people, that's just carazy talk.

Walt being upset; that one makes me laugfh every time someone uses to complain about a change.

I do not support hysteria of canceling trips and I do see Disney as business but why not to place SB somewhere else. Why did they have to mess with icon, I do not get it. Place it somewhere else in parks and put a huge SB sign, I would not care, but MSB, no way. There are plenty of empty spots in parks, why not to use them. I see it as a poor decision.

I'm not even saying I disagree about the location selection. Mine, however, is more about trying to direct "traffic" flow into two areas for morning coffee and breakfast spots.

However this is the location they have chosen and at the end of the say I'm going to be thrilled to stand in MK, watching the parade with a Frap or Latte in my hand. :thumbsup2 That nescafe coffee was the absolute worst coffee I've ever had!

I'm not even saying I disagree about the location selection. Mine, however, is more about trying to direct "traffic" flow into two areas for morning coffee and breakfast spots.

However this is the location they have chosen and at the end of the say I'm going to be thrilled to stand in MK, watching the parade with a Frap or Latte in my hand. :thumbsup2 That nescafe coffee was the absolute worst coffee I've ever had!

Our family is convinced that the Nescafe "coffee" is actually the dirty dishwater from the dishwashers in the World recycled :thumbsup2

I was thinking about morning coffee. I wonder how many people will actually stop in a morning there. Usually people run to get FPs. Wouldn't it be more logical to bring it to resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter