Golf cart advice PLEEEAAASSSE

ram101

Mouseketeer
Just found a 83 club car for $300. Needs batteries and ground wires. Kept in the shed for last 2.5 yrs. Current owner said he bought it for vacation home but decided to sell home and still had cart in shed. Cart looks in fairly good shape for it's age. He told me that he had removed the batteries and the ground wires to replace them 2.5 yrs ago but never finished and lost the wires. Please let me know if you think this is a cart that can be fixed up or if you think it will be too hard to find parts. I've posted elsewhere too but still want your advice!

Here are a few pics I got of it...

golfcart008.jpg

golfcart005.jpg

golfcart007.jpg

I wouldnt pass it up for $300.....25 bucks for cables, 500 for batteries, decent cart for $825. Leaves alotta $ for playing fixup!!

I have to agree with Rog as long as you don't mind doing some wrenching.:thumbsup2 How ever I am die hard gas yamaha.

Such prompt response!! Thank you... I was kinda thinkin I couldn't pass it up too!!. Guess I know where I'll be tomorrow!! Now I just gotta get the trailer unloaded of yard waste (anyone want some leaves?? Gotta a 5x10 full of'em!!!) :)

probably not a bad deal, you might want to consider new tires as well.

I figured the new tires would come after I got it running and decided which way we would go with pimpin it! Was thinkin black and white (LAPD) with red and blue lights on top and flashing headlights!! ;) DS already shot me down on that though!! Said I already had that!

Given the age of this Club Car, it's probably 36V. Ask the owner. Before you spend any $$ on new batteries, you might want to check out converting it to 48V. You'll get more speed (vvrrrooooom) with a 48V. Also, there is a way you can beef up a 48V electic motor & get even higher speed. DH did this to our former CC, and it went around 25mph. For a $300 original investment, you have room to do a lot of playing around!! Go for it, and have fun!!

If you don't buy it, let me know, and I will drive over there and buy it myself. LOL Seriously!

Well, I just got back from pickin it up, Sorry John!!! :cool1: The "donut"'s in the driveway waiting for room in the garage!! I guess the mower can sit outside now!!!

I do believe that the seller was wrong on the year of the cart. Please correct me if I am wrong (I know you will even if I don't ask;) ). To determine the year you must read the serial # and it's 1st two numbers after the letter are the year.. A86261.... That would make this a 1986 cart right!??
He also belives it's a 36v (how can I tell, does the motor have it written on there?) so I will be upgrading the motor 1st. Tires actually look in real good shape (better then the pic) so they will wait.

Well, I just got back from pickin it up, Sorry John!!! :cool1: The "donut"'s in the driveway waiting for room in the garage!! I guess the mower can sit outside now!!!

I do believe that the seller was wrong on the year of the cart. Please correct me if I am wrong (I know you will even if I don't ask;) ). To determine the year you must read the serial # and it's 1st two numbers after the letter are the year.. A86261.... That would make this a 1986 cart right!??
He also belives it's a 36v (how can I tell, does the motor have it written on there?) so I will be upgrading the motor 1st. Tires actually look in real good shape (better then the pic) so they will wait.

WAY TO GO!!! The serial number does indicate it is a 1986 cart. You got the golf cart bargain of the year!!!

Club Cars have 6 batteries. You can determine the voltage by looking at the batteries. It the battery has 3 water-fill holes, it is a 6 Volt Battery. 6 x 6 = 36 volts. If the batteries have 4 water-fill holes, it's an 8 Volt Battery. 8 x 6 = 48 volts.

The motor should have a label on it stating how many volts it is...for instance...the voltage info is on the 4th line on my motor:
b03459d5.jpg

this motor is from a slightly older club car, and it capable of 36 & 48 volt (line 3):
0c856d1c.jpg

Get Trojan Batteries.
And I know where you can get a good used motor.

And who would have one of those???:rolleyes1 :) And would that be 36 or 48?

I checked the motor, no label on it other then the model #. Unless it's in a place I can't see yet with the body still on!

You guys are great thanks for all the help so far!

Actually, Roger.....he's referring to the motor in the second picture that I posted....its for 36 AND 48 volts, so ya cant go wrong with it, and as ya can see...the thing looks brand new, just wouldnt fit my stupid REGEN electrical set up!

Actually, Roger.....he's referring to the motor in the second picture that I posted....its for 36 AND 48 volts, so ya cant go wrong with it, and as ya can see...the thing looks brand new, just wouldnt fit my stupid REGEN electrical set up!

Here's what BDR means by the "Regen" set up:

http://www.ddmotorsystems.com/seriesVSregen.htm

I don't want you to get the wrong impression here, but did you lift off the seat to look for the batteries? That's where they're stored. You will also need the appropriate charger for the batteries. 36V or 48V charger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter