• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gobsmacked by rude, presumptuous neighbor UPDATE - post 94!

Congrats on your new addition!!! He is ADORABLE!!:goodvibes

You must be so happy you're getting that fence! I can't tell you how many times we seriously thought about a fence because of certain neighbors. :furious:

We ended up putting our home on the market, not because of neighbors (we won't let anyone run us out) but we've just grown out of this place.

Now we just have to sell it.

Jane,

Congrats on the new baby!!!!!

Sorry you have to deal with neighbors like this, unfortunately many of us have people like this living next door, or behind us! I had the playing in the yard problem too when I first moved into my house. Kids would party in my backyard, because we have a hill that is flat on top. Or they would see if they could hit the ball from the street into my back yard.

I simply let the dog out when they were partying ( I could see they ends of their cigarettes burning ) and say, "go get 'em". After getting leveled by a 90lb dog once, they never came back. :) And she still enjoys the errant ball hit into the yard. If it's there, it must be mine.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will stop being annoying for a while, at least until one of them gets a car. You might want to throw out that you are an attorney. Bet that would stop the parents in their tracks. ;)

VERY VERY VERY cute baby!! Very cute!!!

And I too, would love to see pics of the fence! ((hugs))

I really don't think a tennis ball will cause damage to a house or garage no matter how hard you hit it.

I do agree the rudeness was uncalled for but I still don't see it as a big deal to have a ball hit in the yard. It takes a Village and I would gladly embrace all the balls of my neighbor's kids...lol.

Oh yes a tennis ball will most definitely damage something if you hit it hard. It can dent siding and scuff paint.

Oh yes a tennis ball will most definitely damage something if you hit it hard. It can dent siding and scuff paint.
I know this is an old thread. But my advice to anyone else with this issue is to folllow my example in this one.
As long as nothing is damaged, you canโ€™t involve the police or force compliance, right?
So ... Change the game. Post a sign that says โ€œspace can be rented for sports/ball use with permission and applicable feeโ€. Advise your nigh or, and record it when itโ€™s advised and quite your rates.
Place a nice little camera for $50 from Amazon and wait.
When they do it again? Thatโ€™s theft of services. Which is a crime. And that is why my neighbor stopped hitting golf balls into my yard, and how I managed to make a quick $150 from him.

If I don't go into labor naturally over the weekend, I'm getting induced on Tuesday, and FRIDAY MORNING when I get home from the hospital we're calling the surveyor to stake the property so we can submit a fencing application.

And yes, it will be 6 foot stockade!

I know we're just a few comments in, but thanks for the validation so far - the whole experience was kind of twilight zone-y.

HIS 14 year old is dancing on the property line screaming at my DH, and WE'RE immature?!:dance3:

Jane
Get the behavior on camera. Might need it if the police get involved.

It was an interesting thread to read though. Disappointed that she never posted a picture of the fence thou.๐Ÿ˜

Sorry long!

I dont know whether to laugh or hit something over a conversation DH and I just had with our next door neighbor.

Backstory weve lived in our house for 6 years. Theyve lived here longer. For the past 6 years, we have watched their children cut through our yard to get to friends, and play multiple games on a daily basis which always seem to involve balls flying into our yard, that they think nothing of retrieving. On one occasion, we came home to find them having a BBQ, playing a baseball game, and using our yard as the outfield, complete with at least 4 children stationed half way across our yard. As their children have grown, they can hit and throw harder, meaning they run further into our yard, and commonly hit our detached garage (sided with very nice Certainteed) with a whole variety of balls. Over the years we have occasionally said something to the kids if it gets really bad, like 10 balls in a row. Oldest boy looks about 14 now. These people have never so much as waved to us since we moved in.

Tonight, we watch though our whole dinner as neighbor boy and his friends orient themselves playing baseball so the batter is constantly hitting balls about 100 feet into our yard, and it needs to be retrieved (finally, the outfielder just maintains a position about 30 feet into our yard). All the yards are about an acre, and there are plenty of directions they can play in that dont involve trespassing in our space. After dinner, DH is working in our detached garage, and he asks them 3 times to please stop hitting the ball in our yard. The third time, he spoke to them while three of them were crawling through a 30 foot forsythia inside our yard rummaging for their ball. One of the kids gets quite stroppy with DH, and DH says Ive asked you nicely three times the next time I wont be so nice.

Well, they technically go back into their yard, plant themselves RIGHT ON the property line, and start screaming army chants (I dont know but Ive been told . . . ). This is clearly for our benefit, but DH goes back into the garage. Because no one responds to them, they go back to playing ball, and as Im taking the garbage out, Im standing right there when a ball whizzes past my nose and hits the garage! (BTW I am forty weeks pregnant and TODAY IS MY DUE DATE but no baby yet). DH hears the thunk and comes out. The kids scatter and he picks up their ball and takes it. Ten minutes later the kids are back lurking on the property line. DH goes out again, and is still trying to be nice he explains to them again that he asked them nicely a bunch of times, they ignored him and still hit the ball into our yard, but hell give it back if they promise to switch their game to another direction (he gives the ball back).

We go back into the garage, where I am watching DH make some bookshelves. We are discussing whether I should go call the parents when lo and behold, neighbor dad walks around the corner of the garage. Here is the conversation (parentheses are my mental editorializations):

N Hi guys. Is something going on?

Me Yes we seem to be having a problem with your boy respecting the property line. We asked him and his friends three times to please not hit it towards our house, they got rude with my DH, and just now they hit the ball again into the side of the building while I was standing there watching.

N Well, I think you all are being immature (!!) about it.

DH Really? I think my wife just mentioned I asked them nicely three times to stop, and they got rude with me and promptly hit the house with the ball right after that when my wife was standing right there.

N Well, theyre just kids, its just a tennis ball. I cant tell them not to hit the ball! (ummm why not?) If your son hit a ball in my yard, I wouldnt mind. (not something he needs to worry about, since in 6 years my son has never set one foot in his yard because we have raised him to respect other peoples property. In fact, my dogs, whose brains are arguably the size of small plums, know where the property line is and have only crossed it about 4 times total in 6 years)

Me My son wouldnt hit a ball into your yard you can probably see our soccer goal is oriented in a way that that wouldnt happen, and when he plays with his archery things, we also orient everything so it stays in our yard. Everyone has a large yard theres no need to be playing in other peoples yards.

N Well its no big deal. Theyre just kids theyre not doing it on purpose (ummmm yes they are, and now I know why they think they can!).

Me (Repeating) Theres no need for it. Everybody has a big yard. All the games can be oriented to keep kids and toys in your own space. As you can see, Im about to have a baby in a couple of days, and someone elses kids running through my yard is just something I dont want to worry about right now.

N Fine. Ill try to keep them in my yard. (Stomps off)

Within minutes, the boys are playing tennis in their back yard, angled differently EVER SO SLIGHTLY so the balls are still going into the back corner of our yard when they miss.

Now, when you (the general you) rehearse a confrontation like that in your mind, what makes you choose the version of the conversation where you swan into your 40yo neighbors yard who you dont even speak to, accuse them of being IMMATURE because they dont want your teenage children trespassing in their yard, fail to apologize for the behavior, and then continue to maintain that the property line is NO BIG DEAL, after your neighbor has respectfully and calmly explained to you that it IS a big deal to them? He really swaggered over like HE was going to tell US a thing or two.

Where do people get this sense of entitlement??!!

Jane
Good fences make good neighbors. It's time for you to ante up and buy one for the sake of your own sanity. These people aren't going to change.

e only says, โ€œGood fences make good neighborsโ€.
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
โ€œWhy do they make good neighbors? Isnโ€™t it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall Iโ€™d ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,

robert frost

The fence has been up for nearly 13 years now. ;)
Let's see... since the fence has been built, I'm on my 3rd car and I drive them until well over 150k miles, Oh, we've gone on our first vacation which was Disney. My youngest whom will graduate next year wasn't even in school yet, my oldest who was in 2nd grade has completed her 2nd year of college and has worked at my employment, a manufacturing facility, for her 3rd summer right now, I have gotten a divorce, had a nasty ex wife, then an ex wife who calmed down, and now an ex wife who is practically my best friend (something she never tried to be when married), we've had a housing and economy crash, a housing and economy recovery, an economy that soared, and an economy that came grinding to a halt where just after another more outrageous housing bubble has enormously inflated, we are in our 4th Presidential term, we've had 2 virus outbreaks, we are almost positive Carole killed her husband and we suspect fed them to her tigers, Jeffrey didn't kill himself, and we have pictures of the surface of Mars. Whew!

Well, this is relevant I guess...
ec85d72c49d2d6814cc7712cbf08515e.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter