Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

Do any of you know about any medication that can be taken if you have a reaction after an inadvertent exposure to gluten? Another poster had mentioned his wife taking medication in the other GF thread but I've never heard of anything. My DH has Celiacs and it is awful when he inadvertently eats something that has been contaminated so I'd love to have medicine for him, especially before our trip to the parks next month.

No, No! Don't delete!! This thread is great!!!

ExcitedMama, there really isn't anything to prevent glutening symptoms if you have Celiac. It's an autoimmune reaction and they haven't come up with anything to block it. It may be a different situation for someone who has a gluten allergy or is just gluten-sensitive. I know some people swear by probiotics, but again, the science just isn't there to prove they do any good as far as preventing symptoms. God knows, I wish they'd come up with something!! There are a few drugs in various testing phases, but it'll still be years.

I've used Imodium in the past to help afterwards with the, um, lower GI stuff, hoping it will shorten the duration, but honestly I don't know if it really makes a difference or not.

I posted this in another thread and will happily post it here. Dh is very gluten intolerant . As we've changed his diet I've discovered that I am as well. Anyhoo.... We had burgers at steakhouse 55 lounge on Halloween. They used huge slices of gf bread. No bbq sauce though. They were amazing. Amazing. I say....... Amazing. Side of toasted fruit. And we were stuffed. Oh. It was a bacon cheddar burger. Amazing.
As far as something to take if glutened....... Probiotics, aloe and juice, a tspoon of Manuka honey and sleep......

I am not diagnosed celiac but going gluten free did stop other autoimmune disease going on in my body. I swear by Gluten Ease 2x enzymes (gotta be the 2x - the regular ones do not work for me). I also tried a different gluten enzyme which is not on the market yet and that one did not work for me either. The enzymes are not considered effective for someone who is celiac because they cannot guarantee they will break down 100% of the gluten but I take them either when I am starting to feel like I've been glutened or when I know I am glutening myself by consuming say a few pieces of gluten pizza or a piece of gluten birthday cake - for the former, my symptoms go away within 30 min and for the latter I never experience any symptoms (digestion, foggy head, lethargy). It's a miracle for me but I use them sparingly - maybe once a month if that. I take 2 capsules generally. I buy them on Amazon and the company who makes them is Enzymatica.

Re: keeping the thread, I agree - please don't delete it. I think I posted our most recent info when we went in Aug (including the GF birthday cake I ordered) and we'll be back at Christmas where we'll be trying Steakhouse 55, Plaza Inn breakfast, Wine Country Trattoria and the Chinese place at CA now that I hear I can get a GF teriyaki bowl there! We eat so well at Disney resorts above anywhere else we've traveled so we got AP's this last trip so we'll be back as often as we can before they expire and Disney now gets nearly 100% of our travel budget. (We are in NorCal).

While Gluten Ease 2x is not marketed for celiacs I know of several who use it if they are glutened and it too cures their physical post glutening symtoms so IMO it's worth trying out but realize it is probably not stopping autoimmune reactions within the body.

Thanks so much! Even if it's not for sure it would probably be worth the risk for DH since it is just awful when he gets glutened!

My experiences this past weekend (Friday 12/12-Tuesday 12/16): (xposted in the gf meals thread)

Friday -

Jolly Holiday - They brought out a chef to talk to me and made my sandwich on a gf Udi's bun right then, totally fresh. The chef brought it out herself. Served with chips which are gf. They also offer a gf blueberry muffin (it was prepackaged Udis), brownie, and chocolate chip cookie (I did not try the latter two, so no idea if they are prepackaged or not). I had the roast beef sandwich and it was excellent!

Cafe Orleans - The chef came out to talk to me. He gave me the run down of what was pretty much gluten free and the few things they could not make gluten free and things he advises against because he can't be sure it's gf from the supplier. I had the ragout with salmon and it was very good.

Saturday -

Ariel's Grotto - Again, the chef came right out. Told me what things were gf as were and what things weren't. Said they could make almost everything on the menu (but not the soup offering). The starter salad was quite good. For my entree I had the steak medallions, which were ok. Nothing special, but it's a character meal, so not surprised. For dessert they brought me out a gluten free brownie. They had heated it up so it was warm and gooey and the chocolate chips were all melted. It was absolutely divine!

Sunday -

Blue Bayou (Fantasmic Package) - They said they'd send a chef out, but never did. The waitress did tell me what was already pretty much gf on the menu. I'm not highly sensitive, so I didn't worry about it, but if you're worried about minor cross contamination I'd be more pushy and insist on seeing the chef. I asked and at that point they did bring out absolutely delicious gf bread and a separate plate of butter. Had the surf and turf which was good, but nothing special. The filet mignon was cooked perfectly, though. I avoided the potatoes because they were scalloped and I had a feeling they might have had flour in them and didn't want to risk it. For dessert they brought out creme brulee which was fantastic (one of my favorite desserts).

Monday -

Carnation Cafe (late breakfast) - Unlike BB, the chef came out to talk to me. Told me they could make most everything gf, including pancakes and waffles. He also told me they could do a gf eggs Benedict since they had gf buns (again, Udis hamburger buns). That's one of my favorites, so I got that. When the food came out, they set down a regular eggs Benedict (it was obviously an English muffin). I told the food runner I had ordered gluten free and he immediately took it back. Our waiter came out a few minutes later to explain there had been a mix up in the kitchen and apologized over and over. They did bring me out a freshly made eggs Benedict a bit later. It was fantastic. And chef Oscar was there and came over to say hi! We'd met him our first time dining there YEARS ago, so that was really fun! But lesson is, verify that your dish is gf. Had it been a waffle I may not have known, so ask and double check!

Carthay Circle (WOC package) - Like BB, they never sent out a chef! What is with the nicer restaurants being so lax? It was a bit disturbing. But, like most higher end restaurants, most of the food was obviously gf. Our waiter did tell me some of the options and such. I ended up getting the salad (good) and the pork chop over grits (excellent, best pork chop I've ever had). He did note my order as gf, so that was good and I did feel like it was handled separately. They also brought out gf bread, which was literally an Udis hamburger bun, toasted, buttered, and sliced. For the price I personally think that is RIDICULOUS! They should, at the least, have the same gf bread as BB. The dessert was a pineapple rum caramel semifreddo (can't remember what it was called exactly on the menu). I don't really like rum, but it was subtle enough in this dish that I didn't notice. And it was REALLY good! This was by far my favorite meal in the parks, pretty much ever.

Tuesday -

Jolly Holiday - Went by for a late breakfast snack and got the gf udis blueberry muffin (they heated it up, which made it all the better) and coffee.

Lucky Fortune - Yes, they do have a gf teriyaki sauce (or so they said). I had the tofu teriyaki. No idea why the curry is not gf, I did not ask... It was ok for quick Asian style food, but as expected way too much rice and not enough vegetables.

We ate dinner tonight at Wine Country Trattoria in California Adventure. Nice meal. They had an allergen menu for (separate adult & kids menus) which included what one could eat gluten free, peanut free, egg free and so forth. The GF selection was decent. We had caprese for an appetizer and shared the Osso Bucco which was served over polenta and veggies. We also ordered a side of broccoli (we always order extra veggies when we split an entree- most restaurants don't put it on the menu but they always offer it as an option if you ask.) DD5 had grilled salmon w/ spaghetti and veggies, plus a kids appetizer w/ grapes, carrot and celery sticks. Our server brought warm gluten free rolls- I think they are the Ener-G whole grain ones. They had at least 3 different pasta dishes we could get with GF penne or spaghetti plus a couple of entrees like grilled fish, grilled chicken, scampi and the osso bucco.

Dessert was a warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream with some fresh fruit and raspberry sauce drizzle. Delicious. The 3 of us gobbled it up very quickly!

i had low expectations for this place given mixed reviews but figured we'd try it and I'm glad we did. We had a really nice relaxing time.

Tomorrow we try breakfast w/ Minnie @ the Plaza Inn.

Just out of curiosity, do you think the new allergen menus cut down on your meal 'waiting time' since the chef didn't need to come out and discuss options?

The one thing I like about TS is that they are able to serve everyone at the same time. With QS and CS it always seems that I'm having to gobble down my food as everyone else is half-finished since it takes longer for me to get mine.

Wanted to add that pizza press on Harbor has GF pizza lists. We're planni g to tr them this weekend and hope it's good!

Our experiences on our last trip, F 12/19 - Su 12/21:
(all reservations were made noting that dd8 was GF)

Fri 12/19
Blue Bayou: our waitress Carrie & chef Jesse were wonderful! Our waitress was told before we sat down that dd8 was GF, so she let us know that the chef would be out to speak to her; he came out before our waitress finished getting our drink order!

Dd8 was able to order the salmon from the kids' menu, and the chef said he'd use only salt & pepper to season it instead of the regular seasonings. Since she couldn't have the regular pasta with it, she was offered GF penne, potatoes, or (something else I think but can't remember). She chose the penne. In addition, he said he'd send out warmed gf bread for her...sweet!

Dd8 loved her meal! Couldn't stop talking about how delicious it was, and how yummy the warmed bread was (especially since it's rare she can have bread with her meal).

Holiday Tour: Upon check-in, dd8 was asked if she'd like a chocolate chip cookie, chocolate chip brownie, or a blueberry muffin in place of the gingerbread cookie. She opted for the chocolate chip cookie. She's had the brownie before as well, and loved them both, so it took her a minute to decide. I know the brownie & cookie are from OMG! It's Gluten Free! and dd loves them (I've tried them too & they are very good). I'm assuming the blueberry muffin is the same, but I have no idea.

When we got to Trolley Treats in DCA, we were given chocolate caramel covered marshmallows, which are not GF (because they are made in a non-GF kitchen), and the chocolate is shared. We were asked if we'd like an alternative treat for dd, but since she's had these before, without a problem, we let her have it. I was impressed that our guide knew to ask us though! :cool1:

Whitewater Snacks: We ate dinner on our way back through the Grand. We've eaten here before (as recently as this past June), and the chef has come out before to let us know what is GF. Dd8 always gets the Chicken Caesar Salad, and eats most of it (it's huge!).

Sat 12/20:
Plaza Inn Breakfast with Minnie: This is our 3rd time dining here, and we've always had the chef come out & offer to make fresh waffles & bacon (the bacon there is in a serving pan on top of bread to absorb the grease). And we've always gotten her food within a few minutes of sitting back down at the table after we've filled our trays at the buffet. This time, it took forever, and I had to find another server to get her food. Once I did talk to someone, she got her waffles (8 of them!) and bacon within a couple minutes. I'm willing to chalk it up to holiday madness.

And since we ate a big breakfast at 10am, we didn't eat again until dinner...well, we had cotton candy, but we didn't have a meal :rotfl:

Turkey leg & caramel apple in DCA: The turkey leg came from the stand by TSMM, and the caramel apple came from Trolley Treats. The turkey leg IS gf, and the apple is-ish. Like I said before, it is dipped in a common bowl of caramel & chocolate, and it isn't made in a "clean" kitchen, but we haven't had a problem. She had the Christmas Minnie apple, which doesn't have any gluten on it. The Olaf apple does; I think it's a bugel dipped in orange chocolate for his carrot nose; we found that out in June when she bit off his nose & then screamed "I have gluten in my mouth! I have gluten in my mouth!!" until we said "spit it out!"

Sun 12/21
Storyteller's character breakfast: Wow! First time here & loved it! Our waitress told us the chef would come out, and he did. Dd8 was made pancakes & bacon; I wasn't at the table when he came out so I don't know if she was given the choice of waffles or not. But she loves the Mickey waffles so I'm going to guess that her only option was pancakes.

She was able to choose lots of fruit & smoked salmon from the buffet, and while I was helping her we saw eggs benedict, which she loves (sans english muffin). So we asked our server if it was possible to get a gf/muffin free eggs benedict, which we were! Sweet! She was even able to get it on a bun, which was a hamburger bun toasted. Dd said next time she'd get it without the bread, because it was too much bread for her, and she's used to eggs benedict without bread (when we go out she frequently gets it on hash browns).

Technically the macaroons are gluten-containing ingredient free, but they don't consider them GF because they are 'dipped' in a shared pot & made in a kitchen without allergen precautions.

****Updated 1/9/2013****

First, let me say that I am hopeful that this thread will be updated regularly and that others will scan their gluten free lists after their trips so that we can keep this as current as possible. I do want to warn people to use the information here only as a guideline and for planning purposes. When you arrive at the park, get an updated list, or be sure to check with the manager or chef at the restaurant to make sure the item is still gluten-free. Changes do happen and I would hate for anyone to have a reaction because they assumed something was gluten-free. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for this thread! I will be visiting Disneyland for the first time in 15 years over the Summer and for the first time with Celiac Disease. This is extremely helpful for planning out our trip.

Hi,

When I was at Disneyland in 2013 I remember the Matterhorn macaroons had (I think) wheat flour in them. Is that not the case anymore?

For anyone who has had breakfast at both the Carnation Cafe and Plaza Inn, which one would you recommend (service, GF variety, price)?

Thanks,
Robert

I'm still trying to get through a lot of this thread so forgive me if this has been asked 8 billion times, but what are you must have treats? It's clear that eating at DLR won't be much of a problem for me but it's always the treats that kill me. I've been looking forward to a Mickey Beignet for a lot lot longer than I've been gluten free so it's going to be a long trip without treats like that. Right now all I have on the list is a dole whip.

I'm still trying to get through a lot of this thread so forgive me if this has been asked 8 billion times, but what are you must have treats? It's clear that eating at DLR won't be much of a problem for me but it's always the treats that kill me. I've been looking forward to a Mickey Beignet for a lot lot longer than I've been gluten free so it's going to be a long trip without treats like that. Right now all I have on the list is a dole whip.

Pretty sure the mickey ears (chocolate covered vanilla ice cream) are GF.

Alas, (at least the last time I was there) the chocolate mousse parfaits that they serve at the counter service locations are made in a common kitchen (therefore not *guaranteed* to be gluten free even though they are, by ingredients) and the chef/manager will refuse to give it to you if you present as gluten free. :(

At the Jolly Holiday you can get a GF brownie or a GF chocolate chip cookie. They also have a GF blueberry muffin.

There are things at DLR that are GF ingredient wise, but could be mildly cross contaminated. It depends on how sensitive you are. For example, the caramel apples. So use your best judgement based on your level of sensitivity (if you were Celiac for example, I'd say don't, but if you just have mild digestion discomfort and a small amount won't bother you, then you're probably fine). You can ask about ingredients and they are usually pretty good about telling you.

At the Jolly Holiday you can get a GF brownie or a GF chocolate chip cookie. They also have a GF blueberry muffin.

Are these fresh or pre-packaged?

(I greatly dislike the dry pre-packaged options. I can buy those at my local grocery store and not like them anyway at home. I opt for fruit over those any day.)

Unfortunately, there is a dearth of 'treats' for us. Virtually NO fresh-baked goods. Zilch, if you're Celiac because we can't take chances. There are prepackaged brownies, cookies, & muffins. The brownie & cookie are pretty darn good. Some of the sit-down places might have a GF choc cake but it's hit or miss. Dole Whip is a definite for me. The popcorn is GF and there are a few pre-packaged candies in the candy shops that are OK (I've had the caramel corn and English toffee with no problem). Other than that & fresh fruit, nothing. I know some take the chances on some treats that 'read' GF, but I've never done that. I don't want to ruin a vacation as a result of a gluten catastrophe!

Are these fresh or pre-packaged?

(I greatly dislike the dry pre-packaged options. I can buy those at my local grocery store and not like them anyway at home. I opt for fruit over those any day.)

The GF brownie & choc chip cookie are really very good. The cookie is moist and buttery, the brownie is moist & fudgy. I've never had the muffin. Pretty good size, too. I usually have a cookie for breakfast at least once. I have yet to see fresh baked GF goodies in the bakeries.

Believe me, I email Disney after every trip to let thin know how nice it would be to just have ONE GF cupcake! I encourage everyone to let them know that, too!

Does any know if DL caters to other food allergies besides gluten? or basically, are there many food options?

DS and I both have gluten (me)/wheat (him), soy, dairy, eggs and almonds (me)/peanut (him) allergies. Luckily, they are not severe but avoiding them completely is ideal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter