Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

I just returned from 5 days at Disneyland. I am gluten-free (actually it's an intollerance, but I completely avoid it anyway). I was travelling with my sister who can not have any dairy. She is more easily accommodated at Walt Disney World, but for me personally, gluten-free is very easy at Disneyland. I will be happy to write more when I get a chance, in the next few days.

If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Robert

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm heading to Disneyland May 17-25 and it's the first time there with a very strong wheat allergy. I have gone many time to WDW and have enjoyed my food option and now it seems I might be able to do the same I'm land. When I get back I will write about it

Is there a list on this thread of all the GF eateries the OP visited? I'm taking notes but don't want to miss one.

Gluten free at Disney? There's an app for that!

When I mentioned at one of the restaurants that I was disappointed in the lack of a GF list, they told me to go get the app! So, I couldn't find an official app (though Disney should get on that - so much easier to keep updated than the printed list), but I did find one on iTunes. Google Disneyland Gluten Free App. Unfortunately, for me, I have an Android, so it didn't help, but the reviews indicate that this could be a great starting point for those of you with iPhones.

Also, beware the ranch dressing (for now at least). My daughter (with Celiac) was given ranch dressing at Ariel's and told it was gluten free. The next day at Blue Bayou, they wouldn't give it to her, saying the formula has changed and while it used to be, it is no longer gluten free. I put in an email to guest services to complain/clarify. The chef said it contained yeast, which may or may not be gluten free depending on exactly what the ingredient was. Obviously, one of them was wrong. Until I get a response on my email, if you are going soon, there seems to be some confusion on the ranch dressing.

Thx for the info about the app! We are heading to DLR on Sunday for a week (!), so I'll have to check that out :)

the Find me Gluten free app has quite a few entries in it for Disneyland.

I am very sensitive and never had a reaction for any of the GF meals I had. After 8 years of being GF (which resolved decades of health issues) I do occasionally eat gluten now (after discovering the Gluten Ease 2x enzyme) as I do not get a reaction when I use the enzymes, but I only save that for when I can't find suitable GF food. The only place I've ever decided to use the enzymes at DL is at Goofy's Kitchen - the selection was way too small and there were way too many gluten things that I would have preferred so I took a chance on the enzymes and had no reaction.

I've been to DL twice since going GF (Feb 2013 and Mar 2014) and here is a quick summary of my findings:

Disneyland Resort:

Tomorrowland Red Rockett's Pizza Port: order the gluten free shell directly from the chef who comes out to take your order. Takes about 20 min but great pizza. When we were there in Feb 2013 they used the wonderful Venice Bakery crust which is by far the best GF pizza crust out there. We were very disappointed in WDW last Fall as they only use Udis which is OK but in the same league as Venice Bakery.

New Orleans Square:

Blue Bayou - make a reservation and get there early (20 min) and ask if you can wait for waterside (so you have a great view of the Pirates of the Caribbean boats). I had the salmon and DH had the jambalaya - both were great. GF rolls were ok but a nice touch.

Frontierland:

Rancho del Zocalo: wonderful mexican counter service. DH, myself and DD4 split a roasted chicken meal w/ rice, beans & salsa and corn tortillas. Very filling and delicious too - and I live in CA where we have very high expectations for Mexican food.

Critter Country:

Hungry Bear Restaurant: We ordered burgers on GF buns, a grilled chicken salad and the sweet potato fries. All were fine - nothing to write home about but it's always nice to have a burger w/ an actual bun! Next time we'll get a table on the water.

Main Street:

Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor - manager will take your order and prepare it with clean gloves and an unopened ice cream container. We had a hot fudge sundae on mint chocolate chip ice cream. The fudge was kind of light so we asked for more and they gave us a bunch in a separate bowl. Very yummy!

We also had a caramel apple from the candy store next door which has no gluten ingredients and we had no reaction. They make them on site and at the time there were no cookie crumb dipped apples around so we were at less of a chance for cross contamination.

What we'll be trying next trip:
- Big Thunder Mountain Ranch BBQ

CA Adventure

Ariel's Grotto Princess Lunch: I've heard they've changed the format since we went in Feb 2013 but at that time we got a nice gluten free antipasto tower to share, I got steak, DH salmon. Food was just OK but DD loved all the princess interactions- even though she can eat gluten we ordered the FG pasta for her which was kind of gross - pad thai style rice noodles with a flavorless sauce. Same ok GF rolls as Blue Bayou (probably ener-G). We will be coming back here to try the breakfast in August - does anyone know what the GF options are?

Flo's Cafe (CarsLand): loved this place. Same ok GF rolls but we had plates of turkey and beef w/ veggies, rice and I think mashed potatoes. And the milkshakes were fabulous. We got a table in the shade outside with a view of Radiator Springs Racers.

Cocina Cucamunga - counter service Mexican. Good stuff- not quite as good as the place at DL but still worthy. We ate there in Feb 2013 so I don't recall exactly what we had- I think it was probably the same as DL - roasted chicken w/ beans, rice and corn tortillas.

Resort Hotels:

Goofy's Kitchen dinner: I had intended to be GF here but there were just too few options that interested me. They had probably 20 different desserts and the only one that was GF (other than fresh fruit) was soft serve ice cream. I took enzymes. The gluten food was just OK also - the character interactions were good for DD and she can eat gluten so she was as happy as a clam. I preferred my GF meal at Ariel's Grotto if you are looking for a character meal with better food. I've also heard Storyteller's Cafe in Grand Californian is good food but they don't have as many mainstream characters to meet.

Downtown Disney:

Tortilla Joe's - (they have a table service and counter service, we did counter service). This place made me nervous but I did not get a reaction. I had to really talk everyone through every step for making the corn quesadilla and buritto bowl - the staff did not seem all that competent at even handling the gluten food - the line stretched out the door and it seemed to take 5 min per customer to order. I would not return. (note: we were there on a Saturday night but still...)

Rainforest Cafe: We always love coming to Landry's restaurants because the chef comes out and can alter many items to be GF. This last time the food was not as good as usual but we'll still be back. T-Rex at WDW on teh other hand had some incredible food. If you know you are going to go here but not make a reservation, join Landry's Select and the registration fee is credited back to your meal. Virtually no waiting. Bubba Gump's at Citywalk is also a Landry's restaurant.

Next trip we will be trying the Ralf Brennen's Jazz Kitchen Sunday brunch and if we like that we'll likely make another reservation for later on our trip for dinner. I've read a few reviews that they have good GF options.

Anaheim Citywalk (10 min walk from park gates)

Bubba Gumps - we ordered take out to eat back at our hotel kitchen (Marriott Residence Inn Maingate which is right around the corner). Excellent fresh and healthy food. We had grilled fish, grilled shrimp, veggies, rice and I think a baked potato.

Citywalk also has a Roy's (order the chocolate souffle!) and PF Changs both which we frequent regularly when traveling and both have great safe GF options.

I just downloaded the app yesterday and it is called Gluten Free Disney Dining and I think it was 1.99. I have an iPhone, I am not sure if its available on other devices.

Need ideas for a GF birthday dinner. Unfortunately, we won't be in the parks yet, we arrive around 4pm on my birthday. Which restaurant would be the best for dinner and a birthday dessert?? The DLR hotels or somewhere in DTD???

Thanks for advice in advance!!:)

I had a very nice gluten free birthday lunch at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian last month. They use the Venice Bakery flatbread as bread for the table, bread for pizza and sandwiches. It's my favorite GF pizza/flat bread and I actually buy from their web site to use at home. I am sure they have more for dinner but I had a delicious grilled fish sandwich and DH had a spinach salad.

I also special ordered (need 5 days notice) a 6" gluten free birthday cake which was decent and absolutely beautiful. I am sure they have other standard desserts but there was just something special about having someone else make me a GF cake and I would have never been able to decorate one so nicely. I was going to attach a photo but I guess I can't do that on this site- it's only for a photo and I'm not on pinterest or anything yet.

Any of the hotel restaurants will do a wonderful job with a gluten-free meal (well except Trader Sam's, they're more of a bar and not very knowledgeable with allergies). If you want something very special, try Napa Rose - pricey but terrific food. A little more reasonable is Steakhouse 55, which also has very good food. And if there are children involved (or if you're simply kids at heart :cool1:), Goofy's Kitchen has a character dinner. If you want a special dessert, call ahead and they will probably be able to arrange something.

There are also wonderful restaurants in DTD, but these are not owned by Disney and so their gluten-free options might be limited (or even non-existent). I've had good luck with the larger chain restaurants (Rainforest, Tortilla Joe's) but have had to walk out of some of the others, when it was obvious they did not understand cross-contamination issues.

I had a very nice gluten free birthday lunch at Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian last month. They use the Venice Bakery flatbread as bread for the table, bread for pizza and sandwiches. It's my favorite GF pizza/flat bread and I actually buy from their web site to use at home. I am sure they have more for dinner but I had a delicious grilled fish sandwich and DH had a spinach salad.

I also special ordered (need 5 days notice) a 6" gluten free birthday cake which was decent and absolutely beautiful. I am sure they have other standard desserts but there was just something special about having someone else make me a GF cake and I would have never been able to decorate one so nicely. I was going to attach a photo but I guess I can't do that on this site- it's only for a photo and I'm not on pinterest or anything yet.

Thanks so much for the insight. I have had breakfast at Storytellers and was really happy!:)

Any of the hotel restaurants will do a wonderful job with a gluten-free meal (well except Trader Sam's, they're more of a bar and not very knowledgeable with allergies). If you want something very special, try Napa Rose - pricey but terrific food. A little more reasonable is Steakhouse 55, which also has very good food. And if there are children involved (or if you're simply kids at heart :cool1:), Goofy's Kitchen has a character dinner. If you want a special dessert, call ahead and they will probably be able to arrange something.

There are also wonderful restaurants in DTD, but these are not owned by Disney and so their gluten-free options might be limited (or even non-existent). I've had good luck with the larger chain restaurants (Rainforest, Tortilla Joe's) but have had to walk out of some of the others, when it was obvious they did not understand cross-contamination issues.

I'm not sure if I will order a cake or not, but that is a good option. Thanks for the info! Can't wait!:cool1:

Does anyone with gluten sensitivity have any experience with the Fantasmic dessert party?

We may have a chance to go close to Christmas and I was thinking about trying to get reservations as a fun holiday surprise. There's 3 of us and only 1 with gluten issues.

I'm not sure if they can/will accommodate or if they do, the desserts just aren't that tasty to make it worth while.

I'm going to call and talk with the dining people but wanted to ask here as well.

Both my daughter and husband have Celiacs. The dessert package was awesome, in fact they got more stuff than I did lol! They each got a huge fruit plate (like a full dinner plate full of fruit) plus I think two or three pudding parfait a things, gf cookies, gf brownie, the cheese, etc. they did stick in the rice crispy treats but they were packaged. The server told me he added them himself because he knew some people can have, some can't. I happily stuck them in my purse for myself, as DD and DH couldn't eat them.

Hey guys, I am the original poster for this thread. I haven't updated this in a long time, haven't been on the Dis much until recently. And my GF sister hasn't been able to get to Disneyland in the past year or so.

I would like to keep some information available. I guess without the printed sheets being given out anymore, I am sort of at a loss with the best way of storing and keeping information here.

Should I ask the mods to delete the thread? Or shall I comb through the Dis and try to compile a list of recent experiences?

Let me know your thoughts, guys. I am open to ideas! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter