Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

Not sure about the GF menus at DLR, but I did have experience with them recently at WDW. They were pretty good as far as choices went, I'm a picky eater and hated waiting til a chef came out only to find there wasn't anything I liked. Even with the menu, they still had a lead/chef come out to write the order down and cook it for me so it didn't really save any time as far as ordering went.

Does anyone have recommendations on which of three restaurants that offer WOC packages have the best gluten free options? We have a gluten free adult (me) and my 5 year old son.

We've eaten at all 3 places. It depends on what you like. Based on my experience, I'd rank them:
(1) Carthay Circle- food was delicious. I had a salad, pork chop meal and panna cotta for dessert. Plus gluten free rolls at the table. And the CC WOC reserved section is great- dead center and raised up a bit from the water. My husband had salmon which he liked but he said my pork chop was better.

(2) Wine Country Trattoria - I liked the food here better than Ariel's but I like the ambiance at Ariel's better. I did not do WOC dining here so I can't comment on the menu but I ate ala carte and had a Caprese salad, veal main course and I don't recall if we had dessert. I do not know where their WOC section is but I think it's the same as Ariel's.

(3) Ariel's - I have not been there for WOC or dinner - I've been for Princess breakfast and lunch. The lunch was decent - I think I had a salmon dish and dessert was a bunch of enjoy life cookies & brownies with some fruit. DD had a pasta dish with rice pasta which was barely edible - lots of stringy rice noodles with very bland tomato sauce. If they did WOC dining during the princess lunch time I'd say go for it just for that experience but I"m pretty sure you can only do WOC dinner at Ariel's where there are no princesses.

For our upcoming trip our only table service in DCA will be Carthay Circle for lunch - and that was the last place we dined at on our last trip so that says a lot about how good it was- usually we try to go to different places from trip to trip.

Honestly I think the place with the best GF options in the whole resort is not WOC but is Storyteller's Cafe for lunch or dinner. You can get flatbread at the table, pretty much any sandwich on flatbread, GF pizza, and most entree's are naturally gluten free.

Ralf Brennan's Jazz Kitchen allergy menu. Just ordered huckleberry lemonade (YUM), jambalaya and some veggie sides.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm sorry, gluten free goldfish crackers?!

I totally agree, I hope the fad stays for a long time. The cookies I ate growing up tasted like cardboard and fell apart when you took them out of the box. White it's true that unless you are intolerant to gluten or celiac, there isn't an upside to eating gf, there also isn't a downside. And it often encourages people to eat healthier anyway. But thanks, Davey Jones, for the unnecessary lecture on the gluten free thread.
Yes! They are sold under goldfish puffs I think but it's the same brand. The cheese is definitely similar which is what I really crave anyway.

Ralf Brennan's Jazz Kitchen allergy menu. Just ordered huckleberry lemonade (YUM), jambalaya and some veggie sides.
FYI the asparagus, green beans and crawfish mashed potatoes sides are all GF as is the banana split, crime brûlée and bananas foster desserts. We had the green beans, asparagus and banana split. Everything was delicious. The jambalaya had some serious kick!

Piano player started at 6 and we ate inside (air conditioning!). All in all a great start to our final AP visit, especially after an all day drive from our camp site in Big Sur, which got us to DL 2 hours later than we planned and 10 min past our reservation time- we had called ahead and they were fine with our being a little late . Then we had time for one art class at AA (Sully) then some dancing at the mad T party before back to the room for a much needed shower and bed.

Now the big question- will I be able to get DH and DD5 up to make 8am rope drop after 2 nights of rough sleep in the tent? Wish me luck!

Today we are lunching at Carnation Cafe-I will post the menu if they have one. Tomorrow is Blue Bayiu and Thursday Carthey Circle- all lunches.

So other than TS menus - what GF CS or Snack options are a must have? I will def be getting a Dole Whip - and read somewhere about baked potatoes. What are the places that are on your "I gotta get X at X spot while I'm at X park" list?

So other than TS menus - what GF CS or Snack options are a must have? I will def be getting a Dole Whip - and read somewhere about baked potatoes. What are the places that are on your "I gotta get X at X spot while I'm at X park" list?

We were just there and ate GF all week without issue. I will have a longer post later, in a new thread.

Short answers:

We were just there and ate GF all week without issue. I will have a longer post later, in a new thread.

Short answers:
  1. Ask for the Chef
  2. Stand to the side and watch for the black hat/scarf
  3. Ask what's safe for your allergy
  4. Ask for "recommendations" IE... do you suggest the burger or the ribs (at Flo's-Ribs, they are only $1 more)
  5. Have them talk to the register operator to get the order ready and into the computer.
  6. Stand to the side to wait for the chef to come back with your order (it will be a wait while they make your order fresh)
I would say the list
  1. 1/2 chicken mole (Zocalo) $12.99? The tacos were boring (we got both) $10.99?
  2. the half and half chicken and steak teriyaki bowl at Lucky's Chinese in DCA were the best I had. We almost went back. $10.99
  3. The ribs at Flo's were great 12.99?
  4. Pulled Pork sliders at Trader Sams (with a Navy Grog). 10.99
  5. Brownie (packaged OMG brand, warmed) at Jolly. $3.59, not a bad deal.
? means if I remember correctly.

We took our own snacks, for the most part. Walmart fruit snacks, fruit and nut packages from Trader Joe's, protein bars, ... bananas from hotel snack shop ($1 each) each morning.

Short answers:
  1. Ask for the Chef
  4. Ask for "recommendations" IE... do you suggest the burger or the ribs (at Flo's-Ribs, they are only $1 more)
  5. Have them talk to the register operator to get the order ready and into the computer.
  6. Stand to the side to wait for the chef to come back with your order (it will be a wait while they make your order fresh)
I would say the list
  1. 1/2 chicken mole (Zocalo) $12.99? The tacos were boring (we got both) $10.99?
  2. the half and half chicken and steak teriyaki bowl at Lucky's Chinese in DCA were the best I had. We almost went back. $10.99

We took our own snacks, for the most part. Walmart fruit snacks, fruit and nut packages from Trader Joe's, protein bars, ... bananas from hotel snack shop ($1 each) each morning.

Do they have GF buns for those sliders?

I agree that the Teriyaki bowls at Lucky's are just dee-lish! I would have torn the carton apart and licked it clean if I wasn't so mannerly. LOL

Thanks TechGuy! Sounds like a Teriyaki Bowl is in my future.
Anyone know about the possibility of GF beignets?
Also I read that someone was able to get a GF lobster roll by having the bread from Hungry Bear - I am hoping if I ask REALLY nicely I might be able to get a repeat performance of that option. (really - they should just have the rolls EVERYWHERE that has a sandwich type food. But that's just my opinion hehe.

Here's the reality of getting a GF bun at Harbour Galley. It's really small and not that high volume. With one sandwich on the menu, they're not going to keep GF buns around. Plus, by the time you ordered it, who knows how long they've been storing it. Sending a runner to Hungry Bear (and it would be a hamburger bun if it comes from there, as I don't believe they have a hot dog on the menu) is pixie dust. If they're not able to do it, have a plan B ready. I think you'd have a pretty good chance of getting the shrimp po boy at French Market on a GF bun as they have an actual kitchen at that location and do much more volume.

Oh, and you can ask for the teriyaki sauce on the side. It makes licking the dish clean a little easier.

Short answers:
  1. Ask for the Chef
I would say the list

I can't wait to try the teriyaki bowl! Thanks for the details!!!!

Thanks TechGuy! Sounds like a Teriyaki Bowl is in my future.
Anyone know about the possibility of GF beignets?
Also I read that someone was able to get a GF lobster roll by having the bread from Hungry Bear - I am hoping if I ask REALLY nicely I might be able to get a repeat performance of that option. (really - they should just have the rolls EVERYWHERE that has a sandwich type food. But that's just my opinion hehe.

I'm the one who had the lobster roll. Yes, it was on a hamburger bun (are lobster rolls usually on hotdog buns? I didn't even know that). Honestly, the guy just offered when I said I would love to try a lobster roll sometime. I was talking to him about getting a baked potato. Good luck, I hope you are able to get it. :)

EDIT: And yes, I did give him a compliment at guest services later that day.

Ashley - thanks for sharing your experience. I love lobster anything - so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can either get a bun from HB or see if they will put the lobster in a potato for me. Either will work :-D But if not, I know I will still have plenty to eat anyways.

We arrive at the hotel late afternoon, so planning on eating in DTD or the DLH (since our park passes don't start until the next day). Anyone have any recommendations for restaurants there?

I ate GF for 3 days when we were there in January. Carnation Cafe, Steakhouse 55 and Cafe Orleans. All of the chefs came and talked to me. ALL very nice and helpful! Carnation cafe even had fries that were from a GF fryer!! So yummy!! Cafe Orleans I had a delicious ragout of some type with chicken and a polenta cake with it, so good!!

The most disappointing was Steakhouse 55. We went there for my birthday dinner. After telling our waiter 3 times I was GF he still did not remember. He brought me out a cake with a candle for my birthday, yes nice gesture, and I said, "oh is this GF?" He said, "oh no, it's not sorry". It was such a let down. Especially when it was the most expensive meal of our trip.

Most places were very understanding!!

I ate GF for 3 days when we were there in January. Carnation Cafe, Steakhouse 55 and Cafe Orleans. All of the chefs came and talked to me. ALL very nice and helpful! Carnation cafe even had fries that were from a GF fryer!! So yummy!! Cafe Orleans I had a delicious ragout of some type with chicken and a polenta cake with it, so good!!

The most disappointing was Steakhouse 55. We went there for my birthday dinner. After telling our waiter 3 times I was GF he still did not remember. He brought me out a cake with a candle for my birthday, yes nice gesture, and I said, "oh is this GF?" He said, "oh no, it's not sorry". It was such a let down. Especially when it was the most expensive meal of our trip.

Most places were very understanding!!

This is unsubstantiated, but I was told (by another guest, not a CM) in late May that Carnation is no longer doing the GF fries due to some type of change in either the kitchens or food 'rules' (they had to go to another restaurant to make the fries). I didn't check on it as we were planning on eating elsewhere, anyway. If anyone can verify, please post it. It was so wonderful to have their delicious bacon cheeseburger and fries!

I had fries in park, last week. Not at the the Carnation, at the Village Haus. I simply confirmed with the chef that the fries were "safe" and she said they were. Very good burger, with bacon. I also had fries at the Carthay with the best burger ever... the Angus burger with pepper bacon, and with my short ribs.

I had fries in park, last week. Not at the the Carnation, at the Village Haus. I simply confirmed with the chef that the fries were "safe" and she said they were. Very good burger, with bacon. I also had fries at the Carthay with the best burger ever... the Angus burger with pepper bacon, and with my short ribs.

Oh yes, there are still places you can get fries (thank God!). It was specifically Carnation Cafe I was talking about. They have (or had) to get the fries cooked at another kitchen because Carnation doesn't have a dedicated fryer. If what I was told is true, they'll no longer go get the fries from the other kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter