Giving Thanks for How Far We've Come at the Happiest Place on Earth

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your pre-trip report. I hope you and your kids have a wonderful, magical trip.

Been reading and I might have missed up but when are you surprising DD and how?

I surprised my kids the first time we went (the week after thanksgiving) I told them on thanksgiving day that I wanted to give them one of their presents early but they had to hunt for it. I did a scavenger hunt with Clues...even when they got the last clue it took them awhile to figure out we were leaving for disney in 2 days.

I am telling her the day that we leave. We leave on Sunday 11/21 and have a 1:40pm flight, so we'll get up and do our normal Sunday morning routine until after breakfast. Normally we get up and I shower and bathe both children, then make and serve breakfast. Then after breakfast, we get dressed for church. Once breakfast is done, I'll let her know I have something for her that came in the mail.

Another poster mailed us a post card from Disney with a note from Tiana (dd's favorite princess) telling her what a good girl she has been through all that has happened this year, how much I love her and her brother. Then it finally says, "Your mom is bringing you and Elijah (ds' name) to see my friends and me this week..your bags are packed so just get on the plane...can't wait to meet you." Love Tiana.

I'll have the camcorder running while she reads it.

Enjoy the surprise...that expression is almost as precious as the first time she sees the castle.

My kids are older now and have me pegged...I don't think I could hide a Disney trip if my life depended on it.

Well, I'm feeling pretty good about our trip after tonight. I took the children to UNC for a women's basketball game. First game of the season and first game back for one of the players who battled Hodgkins Lymphoma last season.

What does that have to do with the trip? Well, tonight, ds met this guy. And he liked him.

tell-em-ramses-sent-ya.jpg

Whoever was in the suit was great. Approached him slowly, sat down so he wasn't towering above him and was really gentle when he finally did touch him. Ds had a great smile.

I can't wait to see their reaction!!!!! I hope you plan on posting it. My DD needs the computer, so I will be back on later.

Wow, ds is 10 months old and we leave in 11 days. Tomorrow I get to do online check-in.

Wow…just wow.

Guess it is time to start getting that large pile of stuff in the walk-in closet into the suitcase.

I am earning my vacation for sure. Due to an upcoming deadline I had to put in 5 hours of work after I put the children to bed. I am so sleepy one of my eyes feels like something is in it.

Oh well, OT means more spending money.

Wow, ds is 10 months old and we leave in 11 days. Tomorrow I get to do online check-in.

Wow…just wow.

Guess it is time to start getting that large pile of stuff in the walk-in closet into the suitcase.

I am earning my vacation for sure. Due to an upcoming deadline I had to put in 5 hours of work after I put the children to bed. I am so sleepy one of my eyes feels like something is in it.

Oh well, OT means more spending money.

I'm am doing the same thing, but going in early so I can clear most of my desk off and not have any worries on my brain while I am in WDW. I claim that my cell phone just doesn't work down there. :cloud9: DH on the other hand is self-employed and needs to keep up on things - his only rule is not in front of me - I don't want to hear it.

Well, online check-in is done.

I am going to really enjoy this vacation. Work is stressful right now, to the point I'm ready to find a college to go to so I can change careers. :headache:

Add in I have a 40 minute commute on the interstate after dropping 2 children off every morning and have been a contractor there for over 2 years, I am about at my end.

After this vacation it is probably time to make a change. As the children get older I feel I am going to need to be closer to home and being alone now, I don't want to work that far from home. They've been accommodating of my situation and I'm good at my job and I hate the process of looking, but after this vacation I'm going to take the 3 months my contract just got extended to look for another opportunity.

But enough negativity. Online check-in is done. When I wake up, I'll be doing the single-digit dance.

:dance3:

I just found your PTR, but wanted to say that I admire your strength and resolve with the things you've faced.

I'm hoping for LOTS of pixie dust for you and your kiddos!

Well, online check-in is done.

I am going to really enjoy this vacation. Work is stressful right now, to the point I'm ready to find a college to go to so I can change careers. :headache:

Add in I have a 40 minute commute on the interstate after dropping 2 children off every morning and have been a contractor there for over 2 years, I am about at my end.

After this vacation it is probably time to make a change. As the children get older I feel I am going to need to be closer to home and being alone now, I don't want to work that far from home. They've been accommodating of my situation and I'm good at my job and I hate the process of looking, but after this vacation I'm going to take the 3 months my contract just got extended to look for another opportunity.

But enough negativity. Online check-in is done. When I wake up, I'll be doing the single-digit dance.

:dance3:

Take some relaxing quiet time while the kids sleep for yourself to think. Someone commented to me the other day that I always get very stressed out about my job every year right before we go to WDW. :rolleyes1 It was like a light bulb over my head...yes I do...

However, as a working Mom that is a long commute and on top of it juggling two young children - that adds to the stress. But if you can handle all that you have been through as you have described to all of us, you can do this to and your family deserves it. Take this time though just to enjoy the moments with your children!!! :santa: The only thing I have planned out for our trip is our ADRs otherwise we relax and go with the flow (don't flame me DISers - but to much of my life is scheduled - this is where I get away from schedules and we see and experience what we get in).

Okay...it's been a few years, so let me jog the memory here. Not in any particular order here are some of the things I really remember:

1. You have a good stroller, which is good but will be challenging when getting on and off a bus with a baby in your arms. Ask the bus driver for assistance (I don't know if they are allowed) or see if there is someone in line that can assist you. I had one time where I decided to leave DTD with DD4 (then 8 mos) and tried to get on the bus with a stroller and DD in my arms with a diaper bag on my shoulder - it wasn't a pretty sight and no one offered to help. Finally, someone came and helped me out otherwise there was no way - my arms were to full.

2. Bring dish detergent (keep it in a zip lock bag in your checked in luggage so it doesn't leak) so you can wash baby bottles in your room. WDW does not have it there and will not wash these items for you.

3. Get to parades early and get your spot if they are important to you. When my DD4 was that little she was a character magnet at the parades! We have some great video! Be aware that some people get rude in WDW and don't hesitate to think that they won't try to push your stroller out of the way.

4. I don't know if you are planning mid-day breaks because of the inconvenience of having to go back and forth on a bus. But there are some quiet places you can find in the park and just relax a little.

Okay, I know nothing genius but my DD4 also was sick 1/2 our trip (the water there did not agree with her) so a lot of my tips may be things your not worried about (extra clothes for DS in case of accidents leaking through the diapers, extra shirt for me in case baby vomitted all over me, etc.). Plus, you are used to the different temperature changes and seem to travel with them already.

Oh...one more for your DD get a hot chocolate and chocolate covered Mickey rice krispy treat before walking over to see Osborne's Family Lights (if she likes that kind of stuff)...it made it so Christmas-y for us. :santa:

Thanks for your tips.

I will remember the dish soap. That worked really well on our last vacation. That treat before the Osborne Lights sounds yummy.:cloud9:

For the bus I actually plan to fold the stroller as soon as we get to the stop and have ds in his Ergo and use a backpack for a diaper bag so I will have my hands free. I usually try to travel with the notion that no one will help me. I'm going to try to limit any purchases to things I can just put in the backpack or just stick to the resort gift shop. Going to have dd bring her backpack too.

I put ds in his Ergo all the time. He's going through this stage of leaning back really far, which makes carrying him quite awkward. I love that carrier. When we went to Homecoming a couple weeks ago I got us a hotel room. I had to make a couple of trips back and forth to the van to get everything (groceries and our stuff) to the room and I had him strapped to me in it the whole time. Thankfully they had the luggage carts.

I had a snugli when we went on vacation in June. Thankfully the hotel also had the luggage carts as I brought everything but the kitchen sink on that trip. I strapped him to me, loaded up the cart and pushed it from the van to the room and back. Last trip I had to get on my hands and knees in the back of the van to get something. I looked at him and he had the funniest "I hope you know what you're doing" look.

I planned on us taking our midday break near the parade Route so we would have a good spot, but some of the stuff I'm reading on here makes me wonder if I even want to bother with parades at all. I can stay home and deal with that kind of stuff. We'll try on Monday and see how it goes. But I do plan to take about 90 minutes to just rest each day around the same time. That combined with our meal times should give us enough time off our feet.

You're right I won't be going back midday as my son won't sleep more than an hour and my dd would drive me crazy. That and we are not a late night bunch so the midday break then park til closing touring style won't work for us. Dd is a bit of a night owl, but after a certain time she needs to be chilling out.

And with the crowds that are expected, I want to do early rising, early resting, with the exception of Tuesday/Wednesday. Wednesday I only have World Showcase planned and since it doesn't open until 11:00, we'll try to sleep in some, or at least I'll let dd sleep in. Ds has not slept past 7am once in his entire 10 months. We're doing Epcot Tuesday afternoon/evening, so I am toying with the idea of seeing Illuminations that night.

I was in the kitchen this morning dancing around singing "single digits...single digits".

Now if I can just get packing. I did put a few things in the suitcase last night, but I have a boatload of laundry to do this weekend. I did start stashing dd's and ds's jeans though. I hope the weather forecast I am seeing now holds up. A couple of days next week are predicted to be in the mid-80's. I did find the children some shorts and tanks on clearance and I'm putting those in the suitcase. I'm going to get dd some loose fitting warm-up pants so we can layer.

Thanks for the encouragement about my job. There's a big deadline coming up and music to a single parent's ears is "next week working only 8 hours won't be acceptable".

Nevermind my child has homework that I have to sign off on having helped her with. They don’t accept another person's signature. They wan the signature of the person the child lives with everyday.

They did allow me to work at home on Tuesday, so I'll be asking to do so again. One day a week I can do, but several in a row…when I leave on 11/19, they may hear my tires screeching.

It's been rough, but my main thing is I spend most Saturdays either cleaning, running errands or doing laundry and that isn't how I want to spend every Saturday. I have great help. Their Godparents are amazing and live 2 minutes from us. Last year they picked dd up from school, but this year, the mom's hours changed plus their dd got her license and now drives herself to school.

We have an effective routine and are out of the house every morning by 6:50am. I drop them off at 7 and get to work around 7:40, work straight through, eating at my desk, leave at 3:40, pick them up just in time to avoid extra fees for dd. Of course if there's a traffic accident, then it all goes to pot.

Working on the paperwork to allow the sitter (Godparent's daughter is a junior at the school) to take dd home. Of course when ds is bigger and decides he wants to take off running after each piece of clothing is put on, then that routine might not be quite so effective. I'm told the job market will improve in my field at the start of 2011, so I'm going to look for something closer. I think it's time.

I just found your PTR, but wanted to say that I admire your strength and resolve with the things you've faced.

I'm hoping for LOTS of pixie dust for you and your kiddos!

Thank you for your kind words. I try to remember how brave my husband was in all he went through and how he managed to enjoy his life. My children though are nothing short of amazing. I'm fortunate I wake up every day with 2 perfect examples of the beauty of life.

Hi. Add me to your list of interested readers. Your story has touched my heart and my family sends prayers and pixe dust for all you have gone through. I can't wait to hear all about how the trip goes.

Welcome to the new readers. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

Today after I picked up the children we hit Wal-Mart and of course I got a few things. I got dd some pants for layering and I picked up my carry-on bag. I got myself a pretty big backpack with lots of sections. The sweaters I ordered to go over dd's Akershus dress (and over her other dresses she wears later) came today.

After dinner, we wrapped up and went to see dd's school's football team compete for the NCISAA state championship (Private schools, 8 man football). The team won 67 to 28 to take the championship and finish the season undefeated.

Glad to be in my warm bed now. The name of the game tomorrow? Laundry, laundry, laundry.

Well, no laundry got done yesterday. :sad2:

I'll have to do at least 2 loads today.

But I did get a lot of packing done. Dd wears uniforms to school so I was able to pack everything for her except undershirts and socks. She doesn't have enough undershirts for me to pack up 6 yet and she didn't like the new socks I bought. Said they were itchy :confused3 When I turned them inside out, they did have a few more strings hanging than normal...that child.

I got everything packed for ds except onesies and socks. Need to do more laundry.

I got my warm weather clothes packed, but need to go shopping for jeans. I only have office clothes. I own two pairs of jeans and I don't want to take them on the trip.

I went to Babies R Us yesterday afternoon hoping to get a bag for ds' carseat, but they were out:eek: In the nearly 8 years I have been shopping there, I have never found them out of anything I needed. Guess there's a first time for everything. Holidays coming I'm sure a lot of people are traveling. They carry two kinds, one with wheels and one without and they were both out. Even the cheap red gate check bags were gone. All they had was the gogo Kidz thing you snap your carseat into, but I want my seat covered when it goes under the DME bus, plus, wouldn't you know it, I have two car seats, ds' Symphony and the Scenera I bought for the trip and neither of them is compatible with the thing anyway.

Anyway, I asked the guy to check on the computer to see if Toys R Us had any in stock and he said they had both tom. I'm going in to work late tomorrow to take the children for flu shots, so after I drop them at school, I'll go by there on my way to work.

I was able to get everything else I planned to pick up there for the trip (and any other trip we'll take while ds is in the infant/toddler stage). Even found a clip for his pacifier. He doesn't take a pacifier often, but when he does, he likes the soothies...the ones they give out in the hospital. I didn't think they made a clip for them, but there they were. I also picked up some other things.

I got take and toss spoons, cup holders to attach to the stroller, two snack trap bowls, disposable changing pads and bibs, extra pack and play sheets and one of those tethers to put around ds' bottle so if he drops it, it won't hit the ground/floor. Also got some food that wasn't available at Garden Grocer and some for travel day.

Wow, we leave one week from today :cheer2::yay::cool1:

Anyway, I'm considering telling dd the day before we leave now. She hardly knows anything about Disney World and I figure telling her on Saturday will give her time to watch my planning DVD and get an idea of how much is there. I don't want to spend 6 days looking at that castle or trying to convince her that we're not leaving Disney World if we leave Magic Kingdom.:rotfl2:

That is the soonest I will tell her though. She has 3 tests every Friday and if I tell her before that, it would not be good.

I am NOT a nurse, but I do work in a hospital. I would check with your pediatrician about giving your kids the flu shot just before you leave on vacation. My pediatrician did not recommend giving it within a week of leaving, not knowing how it would affect the kids. But I understand the pros and cons of going either route. I would just double check with your pediatrician.

Two of my kids got sick within a few days of getting the shot. I am not saying they are related, but they did get sick. I just don't want anything bringing a damper to your trip....you've all earned it.

By the way are your doing BBB for your DD?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter