Giving Thanks for How Far We've Come at the Happiest Place on Earth

I want to start by saying thanks for reading/commenting my trip report. I cant believe how similar our trip plans are. Even down to adding the extra day and savign money. I was very touched by your story fo your husband. My dad passed away when I was 18 and my brother was 9. I know what it has been like on us, I couldnt imagine being as young as your children. You are a very strong mom and you and your children definitely desrve this trip.

Enjoy your vacation!

I want to start by saying thanks for reading/commenting my trip report. I cant believe how similar our trip plans are. Even down to adding the extra day and savign money. I was very touched by your story fo your husband. My dad passed away when I was 18 and my brother was 9. I know what it has been like on us, I couldnt imagine being as young as your children. You are a very strong mom and you and your children definitely desrve this trip.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your kind words. I wish our trips had one more thing in common. I would love to go to MVMCP, but I'm guessing because of the holiday they are not having it the week we are there. I am super excited though about being there to see the Christmas decorations, especially the Osborne Lights at DHS. I wasn't aware they'd be up during our trip until after I booked.

Can't wait.:cool1:

Well, this time next month our dream vacation will have come to an end. :sad1:

We'll likely be either on the DME bus headed for MCO or in the airport cherishing our memories. I hope I don't cry. Guess I'll just have to comfort us by coming home and planning the next one. :goodvibes

Three and a half weeks out, it is almost scary how much I still have left to do.

Need jeans or I'll be wearing my office clothes all week.
Need SD cards for the cameras and the camcorder
AA batteries for dd's camera (giving her my old digital since I got a new one)
still need to make the t-shirts
packing, packing, packing
Garden Grocer order..thinking I'm going to do this Thursday night.

Working on tweaking my plans so our journey through the airport goes smoothly. I'm thinking the 3-1-1 deal is going to be tossed aside since I'll be carrying ds' carseat. I'm going to bring what I need that doesn't have to be in one of those bags, ds' milk, food, Tylenol and Zyrtec and dd's Motrin and Pediacare and put all our toiletries in a gallon sized ziploc bag and check them. I'm sure they'll be a place to buy toothpaste at the resort if our bags don't arrive by bedtime. I just hate pulling that little bag out. No way I'm going to multiply that inconvenience by 3.

Dh hated it too. He always put his toiletries in his suitcase when we flew. Of course it didn't make getting through security any easier for him. I laugh about it. Every single time we got on a plane, it was something. Once he even tried to walk through with a pocket full of change. :rotfl2:

Won't get a thing done this weekend. It's Homecoming at Carolina and we'll be headed to Chapel Hill Friday after I pick them up. It's only 45 minutes away, but we'll get a hotel so ds and I can hang out on campus Friday evening while dd goes to Carolina Kid's camp. She went 2 years ago and had a ball. When I asked her if she wanted to go again, I wasn't sure she'd remember, but without hesitation she said, "Oh yes, that was fun." Then we can sleep in a little on Saturday morning before we head to campus and check in for the Band Alumni Reunion pre-game meal.

Yes, I was a band geek. Looking foward to seeing some college friends and their children. One of my friends has a son born within hours of me having dd. They came within 1 hour of having the same birthday as dd was born at 11pm. I haven't been back to campus since I had ds, but we usually have season tickets to women's basketball games and dd loves going there. When we went last time after the game, dd was on my shoulders screaming "GO TAR HEELS!" at the top of her lungs. We couldn't get out of there for people coming up to us telling me how adorable she was. Not getting that long legged 55lb child on my shoulders anymore, but I'm looking forward to a great time.

Sunday we have church then from 3-6 Halleleujah Day. Our church's youth department puts this on annually for an alternative to Halloween. There's hay rides, games, a costume contest and of course plenty of candy. Dd loves this as she is frightened by the traditional Halloween stuff. Her only condition was that I not put her in an angel costume again.

So she is going as Tiana.

:confused3

I got a 2nd packet today. It was the packet with the luggage tags and coupon vouchers again. I looked at the photopass card inside and they had different numbers.

I also though have 2 of everything else, Planet Hollywood vouchers, Arcade cards, etc. and they all have different reference numbers and barcodes.

Oh well, the extra luggage tags are nice and it can't hurt to have 2 photopass cards. Other than the arcade card, I wasn't going to use the other stuff.

Put away with the rest of the Mickey Mail.

I am so happy to have found your PTR! You are an amazing woman and so very strong. We will be leaving the day after you arrive, otherwise I would have loved to met you and your little ones. :(

Garden Grocer WILL take coupons...just send it to them via mail. So if you have coupons for formula, definitely send it to them. I remember that being a huge $$$ difference and consideration for us when we went last time. But it really was worth it to have all the food there for us. We overordered and I will this time too, but it's hard not to with a little one.

As for the Ergo, I still use it with my 2.5 year old (who is 38 lbs!)! So happy you got it! It will be a lifesaver for this trip and beyond! Don't forget about the Baby Care Stations. The attendants will help you as well so please ask for their help if needed.

I can't wait to hear about your DD's reaction to when you go! Is there anything I can do to make your trip more magical since I will be there right before you???

No planning this weekend, but we had a blast. Friday I picked them up and we headed for UNC for homecoming weekend. Dd went to the Kids' Camp Friday night while ds and I picked up some groceries and got settled in the hotel. I gave him dinner and relaxed while he explored the room. He was all over the place.

Went to pick her up around 9:00. She wasn't ready to go, but last time I let her stay until 11pm and missed the free hotel breakfast the next morning and was late for registration on campus because she wouldn't get up.

Next morning we had the breakfast and checked out of the hotel. I put the children in matching UNC shirts and we headed to campus. I'll admit to being a bit nervous. This was going to be a long day…homecoming activities, lunch on campus, lots of walking, lots of noise, then a college football game. We'd be out from morning to night. If this didn't go well, I'd officially be nervous about the trip.

Well, I'm happy to say, it could not have gone better. I had my Jeep 3-wheeler, which is similar to the OSR strollers. I lined it with a stroller blanket I bought at Wal-Mart. I put my Ergo and diaper bag in the basket. You'd have thought ds had done this lots of times. He sat there laughing and clapping taking everything in while the band rehearsed. So many people were talking to him and dd and saying how cute they were. They had on matching sweatshirts (will post pictures later) and he had on a little cap. We went to a pre-game lunch with my classmates and their children. Put ds in the Ergo and parked the stroller outside. This was the only time of the day ds whined at all. The line was long and he was ready to eat. Once he was done eating he was ready to roll.

After lunch we watched the band do a pep rally then march off to the stadium. I put ds back in the stroller and we made the trek over. I parked the stroller outside the section we were sitting in, put ds in the Ergo and we headed inside. He stayed in the Ergo most of the game. He slept most of the first half right in it, coming out to be changed and when one of my classmates offered to hold him to give me a break. I let her hold him, but the Ergo is awesome. I barely felt him the entire time.

Dd spent most of the game with my classmates children. They are all around the same age. One of my classmates has a son who is less then 24 hours younger than dd is. She was born at 11pm on April 28th and he was born at 6:45pm on April 29th. He has a sister age 5. Two of my other classmates got married and have two girls ages 8 and 6. When the university alma mater is played, students and alumni all sing with their arms around each other. When it was played on Saturday, all our children (minus my ds of course) came together to sing it. It was a sight all of us fumbling around to get out cameras out to get a shot of them.

UNC fell behind 17 to 7, but came back to win the game 21 to 17. I'm 38 years-old, but when I go back there it's like I'm in college again. The looks my son gave me when I lost my mind cheering were priceless. He has seen me be silly with him and his sister, but he saw the another side of me on Saturday for sure. Dd loves seeing me act like a fool, so she's always asking to go back there. She'd say, "I want to go to Carolina so you can be silly mommy." :rotfl:

After it was over, we said our goodbyes, put ds in the stroller and took our time getting back to the van to give the traffic time to thin.

Yesterday after church I took dd to Halleleujah day, (our alternative to Halloween). She went as Tiana (will post pictures later). She had a good time and brought home enough candy for 6 months.

Today, back to the daily grind. But I'm even more excited about our trip after seeing how ds handled that very long day.

I am so happy to have found your PTR! You are an amazing woman and so very strong. We will be leaving the day after you arrive, otherwise I would have loved to met you and your little ones. :(

Garden Grocer WILL take coupons...just send it to them via mail. So if you have coupons for formula, definitely send it to them. I remember that being a huge $$$ difference and consideration for us when we went last time. But it really was worth it to have all the food there for us. We overordered and I will this time too, but it's hard not to with a little one.

As for the Ergo, I still use it with my 2.5 year old (who is 38 lbs!)! So happy you got it! It will be a lifesaver for this trip and beyond! Don't forget about the Baby Care Stations. The attendants will help you as well so please ask for their help if needed.

I can't wait to hear about your DD's reaction to when you go! Is there anything I can do to make your trip more magical since I will be there right before you???

Thank you for your kind words and for the heads up about Garden Grocer. I will likely be mailing them several coupons as I will also be getting diapers, wipes, and baby food. Either way, I'm very grateful for the service. It will make my trip a lot easier, so I concluded it was worth the money to use them even if I have to pack formula. But I will see if I can come up with a coupon to use. Most of my formula coupons are store specific.

I'm sure I will over order too as I over shoppped when we went on vacation in June, but especially when you'll be without a car, it's better to have things you don't need than to need things you don't have. My main goal is not to overpack since I'll be navigating the airport with 2 children.

I can't say enough about the Ergo. There is no store that carries them around here, so I had to order it without being able to try it first. I figured though so many people can't be wrong about this thing. We haven't been on the trip yet and I'm thinking this thing is amazing. So wish I'd been able to afford it sooner. I held him in it an entire football game on Saturday, and I was standing the entire time except for timeouts. A friend offered to hold him to give me a break in the 4th quarter and I let her, but not because I needed a break. I thought he might. He is very happy in it though.

Thank you for your offer. Another poster has taken on being dd's fairy godmailer and sent us a post card for the trip. I hope you have a wonderful time. Is there a TR from your previous trip? This is our first but I hope won't be our last. I want us to keep going, probably around this time each year for dd's fall break, but I want to go at least one more time while ds is free.

What a way to celebrate November coming in! :cool1::banana::woohoo:

I secured an Akershus reservation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just beside myself.

Persistance paid off! Stalking the site each night was taking away from my planning activities, so I was about to give up and hope they let us in with my son on the day of the meal, but decided to call Disney for the 3rd time today.

After calling earlier today twice and being told nothing was available the whole week checking Akershus and CRT from 7am to 7pm, I got an Akershus reservation for 3 a few minutes ago and I couldn't believe the best part. It is for the same day of my old one, just for lunch instead. Even the CM was excited for me about that part.

I cancelled the one I had and posted to the November Cancellation thread. Hope someone there gets it. I had also booked Via Napoli for lunch that day and cancelled that one.

This trip was going to be great regardless, but now it is officially made. I feel so fortunate to have been able to get 5 of my 6 reservation adjusted after making the mistake of not counting my son when I made them, especially considering when we are going.

The 6th one is Tusker House, but as great as I've heard the food is, I’m not concerned because we have Chef Mickey's earlier in the week. Plus, AK is opening at 8am that day, so we should be able to run through Camp Minnie Mickey that morning. I may just cancel it and let someone else have it if I can get something else we might like instead.

Oh and JillyB if you're reading this, something must have changed, because I did have to give my CC information for Akershus. They don't charge anything to the card, but it's $10 per person if I don't show up and haven't cancelled 2 days out.

OP: You are a very strong mom and I am enjoying your PTR. I am so glad you and your kiddos are going to be at WDW soon. You deserve some magic! I hope this trip will be the source of some very happy memories for many years to come. My dd11 cheers for a Pop Warner team and we will find out the day after Thanksgiving whether or not we will be participating in the National competition at Disney World on Dec 6th. If so, we will be there shortly after you, on Dec 4th-11th. Her cheer squad made it to Nationals last year and we had an awesome time. We hope to be back to the World soon! Take care and have a fantastic time! Oh, and I have to tell you- I used Garden Grocer for the first time last year (as a recommendation from these boards) and I could not say enough great things about their service! I ordered snacks, breakfast foods and 2 cases of water and the convenience of having it brought to my hotel room was PRICELESS! You will love it! Take care!

What a way to celebrate November coming in! :cool1::banana::woohoo:

I secured an Akershus reservation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just beside myself.

Persistance paid off! Stalking the site each night was taking away from my planning activities, so I was about to give up and hope they let us in with my son on the day of the meal, but decided to call Disney for the 3rd time today.

After calling earlier today twice and being told nothing was available the whole week checking Akershus and CRT from 7am to 7pm, I got an Akershus reservation for 3 a few minutes ago and I couldn't believe the best part. It is for the same day of my old one, just for lunch instead. Even the CM was excited for me about that part.

I cancelled the one I had and posted to the November Cancellation thread. Hope someone there gets it. I had also booked Via Napoli for lunch that day and cancelled that one.

This trip was going to be great regardless, but now it is officially made. I feel so fortunate to have been able to get 5 of my 6 reservation adjusted after making the mistake of not counting my son when I made them, especially considering when we are going.

The 6th one is Tusker House, but as great as I've heard the food is, I’m not concerned because we have Chef Mickey's earlier in the week. Plus, AK is opening at 8am that day, so we should be able to run through Camp Minnie Mickey that morning. I may just cancel it and let someone else have it if I can get something else we might like instead.

Oh and JillyB if you're reading this, something must have changed, because I did have to give my CC information for Akershus. They don't charge anything to the card, but it's $10 per person if I don't show up and haven't cancelled 2 days out.

So glad you got the Akershus lunch ADR!

That's so odd that they asked for your CC. We've got an Akershus dinner ADR on 11/22 at 5:05 and I didn't have to enter any CC information when I booked online. I originally had a CRT ADR, which I also booked online, and I had to go through another link to do that ADR and I did have to enter CC for that. Something doesn't sound right here.

I can't remember...are you on the dining plan? Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Plus, Akershus is always the fall back ADR for people who don' want to use 2 table service credits on the dining plan cor CRT because Akershus is only 1 table service credit on the dining plan.

So glad you got the Akershus lunch ADR!

That's so odd that they asked for your CC. We've got an Akershus dinner ADR on 11/22 at 5:05 and I didn't have to enter any CC information when I booked online. I originally had a CRT ADR, which I also booked online, and I had to go through another link to do that ADR and I did have to enter CC for that. Something doesn't sound right here.

I can't remember...are you on the dining plan? Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Plus, Akershus is always the fall back ADR for people who don' want to use 2 table service credits on the dining plan cor CRT because Akershus is only 1 table service credit on the dining plan.

When I originally made my reservations, I didn't have a trip booked. I made my reservations on 8/23 after orientation at school. I booked the trip 2 days later after I got my vacation approved at work, so my reservations were not linked to the dining plan originally. Course today my trip is paid for and the CM was very well aware my package includes the dining plan.

One thing I can think of though is that your reservation being on 11/22 is before the Holiday period officially starts (at least as far as when the rooms go up) whereas mine is on 11/24, the day before Thanksgiving. Perhaps that was the difference.

I'm thrilled to have gotten it on the same day I had it. I couldn't have asked for anything better to happen. I'll have to adjust our touring plan a bit, but I was thinking of doing that anyway. I'm also planning on doing pick a pearl that day. I got us Cinderella carriages and I want her to have her necklace done before this meal. We'll probably just go to Japan first, which might be a good idea anyway before the store gets too busy. Hopefully we can get a couple of other countries in before we have to change her clothes for lunch then do the rest after. Hoping to get the stuff outside World Showcase done on Tuesday and sleep in on Wednesday since World Showcase doesn't open until 11:00.

Still toying with the idea of staying for Illuminations. A bit uneasy about being in any park when it closes.

I've noticed that you've mentioned several times about not wanting to be in the park at closing time. Remember in your post about being at UNC and you said you "just held back and let the crowds die down?" That's exactly what you do at WDW at closing time and you will be fine. Let all those who want to make a mad dash to the exit do so while you and the kids just relax and take your time. The unexpected treat is how much more magical the parks are when hardly anyone is there. HTH!

I've noticed that you've mentioned several times about not wanting to be in the park at closing time. Remember in your post about being at UNC and you said you "just held back and let the crowds die down?" That's exactly what you do at WDW at closing time and you will be fine. Let all those who want to make a mad dash to the exit do so while you and the kids just relax and take your time. The unexpected treat is how much more magical the parks are when hardly anyone is there. HTH!

Yeah, I understand and I have heard that about the park being great if you move slow after it closes. It's just going to be a bit late for my crew and then hanging around for an extra hour while the crowds thin would make it even later. If I was bringing a vehicle or staying in one of the hotels you can walk to from Epcot, instead of doing the Disney busses I'd probably be a bit braver about it. This is the one day I might do it though because dd will have the opportunity to sleep in that morning since we're only doing World Showcase. Ds has never in his almost 10 months slept past 7am.

There's also the possibility of staying in MK for Wishes our first night since they extended the hours and the park won't actually be closing afterwards. It's going to depend on how we feel after traveling that day.

Well, our big trip is getting closer and closer. Tomorrow we'll be at 2 weeks. :cool1:

Still finalizing things and working on some things. I'm making a pile in the walk-in closet of things that I need to pack. Dd's dress for Akershus came in the mail yesterday.

It comes in a variety of colors, but I figured royal blue would look good on dd and look good with any princess that might be there.

I also ordered her a Disney Princess backpack for the plane (also off ebay). I couldn't find one with all of them, but I found one with 6 of them (Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Cinderella, Snow White and Tiana). It's cute, has sparkles and is full size. Only ones I could find here with that many princesses was a miniature one.

I also got my Garden Grocer order put in. I wanted to put it in 2 weeks ahead of time and when I couldn't find any coupons to mail, I went ahead and did it. I've actually switched formulas since I first started looking at them and there wasn't as much of a price difference in the Enfamil as the Similac. I hope I didn't over do it. When I bought stuff for our trip in June, I ended up with so much left over...stuff that didn't even get opened.

Of course on our last vacation I was trying to obey the rules and not bring outside food to the places we went (Science Museum and the Zoo). At the zoo, I went back to the van to return some snacks I'd brought when I saw the sign outside about no other food. It was lovely sitting down to a $20 lunch (2 4 piece chicken tenders and 1 order of fries) while other people pulled out full picnic lunches they'd brought with them. :rolleyes1

So, since it's okay to bring outside snacks at Disney, I'm getting some things to bring in-Chex Mix for me, cheese crackers for dd, Gerber puffs and yogurt bites for ds and some bottled water for me, juice boxes for dd, juice for sippy cups for ds so he doesn't have to have milk all day.

I'm glad I got that done. Every time I log in, there's a message that says they are no longer accepting orders for a day or 2 later due to high volume. I thought they had a 48 hour time constraint anyway, but given we're going Thanksgiving week, I figure they will have a lot of orders for that week and I wanted to get mine in.

Today dd has choir rehearsal then my mom is dropping her off at the salon to get her hair braided. So, I'm going to take the time to do some stuff for the trip...mainly the last shopping and printing some designs on the computer. She also has choir rehearsal in two weeks, the day before we leave and one of her friends has been asking for a play date, so I told the other mom what I was planning and said it would be great if she'd take her after the next rehearsal. She said she would.

I haven't forgotten that I am supposed to post pictures. Here's one from Homecoming.

043.jpg

About to call it a night, but wanted to get updated. I got the rest of the shopping done. Noticed temps are in the 80's in Orlando so far this month so I picked up some little things on clearance for ds and dd in case it stays hot.

I got SD cards for both cameras and the camcorder and I finally got my new suitcase. Was all ready to print some designs only to come home with the wrong printer ink:headache:

Will I get any t-shirts done? It isn't looking too good. :confused3

Might have to figure out a way to get rid of dd again next Saturday. :rotfl:

I'm in...late, but I'm in and will look forward to your TR. We will be overlapping by a few days this year and I pray that you and your family have a wonderful trip.

After reading everything I just wanted to mention a few pre-planning things:

1. The last couple of years airport security has been making us take our sweatshirts off. They may not make you, but just be aware it may happen. I would hope that if you mentioned that you were traveling alone with two small children they would let you go to a special line, but who knows. I'm just glad not to be behind the business traveler huffing at how long it takes me.
2. Are you aware of the security bag checks before you enter the park? They search every bag (including bags in bags and your DDs) and the stroller. I just wanted to make sure you were aware, because it can be crazy especially on busy days around the holidays.
3. Speaking of the holidays be prepared for some crazy crowds and up and down weather. The mornings/evenings can be cool and then in the 80s by lunch time. We always need to layer, so it makes for more to juggle during the day. We end up leaving things in the stroller in an extra bag - if they really want to steal then so be it; at least I'm not dragging it around.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have done WDW with a 10 month old (now 4); this will be her 5th trip. I am not an expert, but would love to let you know any of my hard lessons learned.

By the way...TSM is fantastic! Don't stress out trying to make it, but grab a FP if you can. Here is some pixie dust your way....:wizard:

I'm in...late, but I'm in and will look forward to your TR. We will be overlapping by a few days this year and I pray that you and your family have a wonderful trip.

After reading everything I just wanted to mention a few pre-planning things:

1. The last couple of years airport security has been making us take our sweatshirts off. They may not make you, but just be aware it may happen. I would hope that if you mentioned that you were traveling alone with two small children they would let you go to a special line, but who knows. I'm just glad not to be behind the business traveler huffing at how long it takes me.
2. Are you aware of the security bag checks before you enter the park? They search every bag (including bags in bags and your DDs) and the stroller. I just wanted to make sure you were aware, because it can be crazy especially on busy days around the holidays.
3. Speaking of the holidays be prepared for some crazy crowds and up and down weather. The mornings/evenings can be cool and then in the 80s by lunch time. We always need to layer, so it makes for more to juggle during the day. We end up leaving things in the stroller in an extra bag - if they really want to steal then so be it; at least I'm not dragging it around.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I have done WDW with a 10 month old (now 4); this will be her 5th trip. I am not an expert, but would love to let you know any of my hard lessons learned.

By the way...TSM is fantastic! Don't stress out trying to make it, but grab a FP if you can. Here is some pixie dust your way....:wizard:

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Sweatshirts off...well, why am I not surprised. Last time we flew with my dh he had on a denim outfit and the top was a button down shirt and they made him remove it. All he had on was one of those sleeveless undershirts underneath (thank God a new one I bought for the trip). I could tell he was a bit put out. He had 3rd degree burns on one shoulder.:sad2:

Looks like it will be long sleeved shirts and jackets and jackets off and in the bag before security.

We're leaving on a Sunday so hopefully not too many business travelers. Around here they usually fly out on Mondays. I'm going to have ds' carseat in a bag and my backpack in the seat. If they say they need it taken out with a 20lb infant that will be out of his Ergo at that point, I'll say, "sure, you are welcomed to remove it, just put it back when you're done."

I was aware they check bags at the park. I'm used to stuff like that. Bags get searched at every sporting event at UNC and at tournaments I have been to. I only plan to carry two bags, one will be ds' diaper bag that will also have extra stuff for dd and me. The other a smaller pack with the cameras, money, etc., except Wednesday and Thursday when I have dd's dresses for the character meals. But they'll just be in see through plastic.

I've read a lot about the weather. We'll layer. NC weather is kind of crazy too. We just don't experience the wide ranges of temps in the same day. Here it's 75 one day and 45 the next. We have t-shirts, but long-sleeved shirts to go under them and I plan to toss hoodies in the stroller basket with ponchos.

Feel free to leave any coments here on going with a baby. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Two weeks from now we'll be there. :banana:

Been reading and I might have missed up but when are you surprising DD and how?

I surprised my kids the first time we went (the week after thanksgiving) I told them on thanksgiving day that I wanted to give them one of their presents early but they had to hunt for it. I did a scavenger hunt with Clues...even when they got the last clue it took them awhile to figure out we were leaving for disney in 2 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter