• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Give it to me straight! (bed bugs)

Have you come across bed bugs in a resort/hotel?

• Yes - staying at a Disney Resort

• No - staying at a Disney Resort

• Yes - staying at any other hotel/resort in the US

• No - staying at any other hotel/resort in the US

Results are only viewable after voting.
yes, in 2006 at the Movies - my son and i were bitten on the legs all over each night, back then it wasn't as "known" as it is now - will be packing the panti-liners to check the mattress seams next month...;)

Panti-liners?

Jennasis said:
Panti-liners?

On another thread a poster suggested using the pantiliner. Peel off the paper and rub the adhesive side along the seem at the top of the mattress, also to check the drawers. If you find bed bugs they will stick to the adhesive and you would just take the proof to the lobby.
I'm sure Disney is doing everything they can to combat these bugs, but with so many people checking in and out everyday it's has to be hard. Have to remember it's Guests that are bringing them in.

We stayed at a Hilton in WV and the bedbugs were so bad they were caught trying to take a TV from their room!

Have to remember it's Guests that are bringing them in.
This is a very good point for everyone.
It is not a housekeeping issue, even the best hotels are having this problem.
If the guest before your (or the room next to you) brought them with them you are screwed.

Even if Disney got 100 bug sniffing beagles they could only do around 1800 rooms a day.

I guess they could only check rooms when people are checking out, but still they would need more.
And what to do with people who have dog allergies?

It is a difficult issue to say the least.

This has been going on for a while and I am really surprised that people are just noticing it.
Since there is no H1N1 and no SRS this year I guess the news needs something to talk about as well and is getting everyone up in arms.

I am the last one to defend Disney but IMO you are far less likely to get bedbugs in a Disney value hotel than in a Deluxe hotel in NYC.

This definitely falls into one of those "very few people will go online and post a report about the hotel saying ... 'and NO bed bugs.. it was awesome' ... "

The results of the poll pretty much line up with my thinking..

That doesn't mean it isn't an absolute nightmare for those who do experience it.. but when you got them showing up in movie theatres, clothing stores and the like.. it's no small wonder they can arrive at All Star Sports or the Ritz Carleton.

:)

Just take precautions and you'll be fine.

When you check-in to your room:

Go to your room without your luggage and thoroughly inspect it.

Check the mattress (remove the sheets), headboard, and frame as well as the couch and sofa bed. Pay attention to cracks, crevices, seams, and folds of material. Check any furniture near the bed (drawers in the nightstand, for example). Remember that bed bugs can be 1/16 inch to ¼ inch and young, unfed bugs may be mostly translucent (clear). You're looking either for the bugs themselves, for little red spots, or for brown pieces of the bugs (casings) that they shed off themselves.

If you find bed bugs, immediately request another room.

The biggest mistake you can make is to lay your suitcase on the bed and start unpacking your clothes. In fact, you don’t even want to store your bag on the floor. Instead, use the luggage stand. Just make sure to carefully inspect the wooden legs and cloth straps before doing so (look at it from top to bottom, and under the straps).

Anything you wear in the hotel room, especially your pajamas, could come in contact with bed bugs. The smartest thing to do is to place all of your dirty laundry in a sealed plastic bag so it doesn’t contaminate your other clothing or your suitcase.

When you get home:

If you actually found evidence of bed bugs during your stay, don't even bring your luggage in the house. Leave it in the car and get your clothes laundered or dry cleaned professionally, outside of your home. If your luggage isn't expensive, just throw it away - it's not worth it.

If you didn’t find evidence of bed bugs, it’s still wise to visually inspect your suitcase and contents when you get home. Do not unpack your suitcase on the bed! Unpack directly from your sealed plastic bags into a washing machine (wash and dry on hot-hot-hot). When washing, set both the washer and dryer for the hottest setting that the fabric can withstand. Fabrics which can’t withstand a high amount of heat should be frozen.

Gee...many people don't stand a chance then. DME puts your bags in your room for you while you're out in many cases.

...If you find bed bugs they will stick to the adhesive and you would just take the proof to the lobby.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Sorry, just thinking of the expressions on the CM's face as one marches into the lobby waving around pantyliners with bedbugs on them! ;) :rotfl:

Me & my sister stayed at Pop in 2007, she woke up one morning with a bunch a bug bites on her leg. At first we didn't really think about it, except it occured to us it was Dec & there was a cold spell, which causes mosquitos not be buggy. So we went to one of the parks, I think AK that day. A CM was really concerned because it seemed she was having an allergic reaction, her leg swelled up, very red & very irritated; he mentioned the unthinkable that it might be bedbugs. When we go back to the hotel we went by the front desk & they upgraded us to preferred room (nice, but it was our last night) & said that they would take care of the last night stay. & gave us a $100 gift card for our troubles. But not once did the CM at the front desk acknowledge that there were bedbugs, but instead tried to please us.....we haven't stayed there since.

Sorry to report that's probably not bed bugs.

Bed bugs aren't discriminating.. they won't just bite your legs.. typically, there's enough of them and they are all thru the bed such that the bites will appear everywhere.. including things like your arms, ears, face, chest etc.

But... Pavement rash (or Polymorphous Light Eruption) is pretty much exclusive to the legs.. AND happens a LOT to folks visiting Disney often gets confused for bed bugs.. (happened to me in fact!) ...

I swore up and down my room had bed bugs etc. They checked - nothing.

I didn't believe them and insisted a manager check again with me..

Nothing.

And then I learned about pavement rash... which sure feels like bites and itches like crazy.. And yes, it reacts exactly like an allergic reaction -- and yes, Benedryl or sometimes Hydrocortisone treats it very nicely.

Here is a full thread that describes it..

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1115312

I know that everyone says "Oh no, WE had bedbugs.. " -- I said that too ... I was wrong.

Way wrong... it was embarrassing.. LOL

--

Bed Bug Bites usually proceed in trails or threes.. like this:

bed-bug-bites.jpg

PMLE or Pavement Rash is more like a rash and blotchy .. like this:

RTEmagicC_72143.photo.JPG.jpg

This definitely falls into one of those "very few people will go online and post a report about the hotel saying ... 'and NO bed bugs.. it was awesome' ... "

The results of the poll pretty much line up with my thinking..

That doesn't mean it isn't an absolute nightmare for those who do experience it.. but when you got them showing up in movie theatres, clothing stores and the like.. it's no small wonder they can arrive at All Star Sports or the Ritz Carleton.

:)

Exactly my thoughts. Not to say that the large numbers of people who have not encountered them might have really done so unknowingly, it just never presented itself as an issue. But it really is a testament to the "squeaky wheel" theory. Grain o' salt and all that. Unfortunately, as always, it's the media coverage that's creating this wave of paranoia. Educating the public is one thing, causing panic from sensationalising is a whole other unhealthy side-effect.

I've never encountered them, or at least not knowingly, here in the U.S. or in Europe. I'm not worried about them but I'll still do a quick check when we get our room.

??? If the CM truly thought it could be bedbugs, then wouldn't he/she have handled the situation wrong by not treating your clothes/luggage and risked spreading the bugs to another room?

Like I said, the CM never said that it was bed bugs, but she did compensate us for whatever it was that had bit my sister.

What is disturbing is that someone can walk up to the front desk and say we think/there are bedbugs in our room and show bite marks. Instead of the front desk saying let us send someone up to your room to make sure so we take care of things they move the people and possible bedbugs on their things to another room possibly spreading the bugs.

That is a scary concept.

What is disturbing is that someone can walk up to the front desk and say we think/there are bedbugs in our room and show bite marks. Instead of the front desk saying let us send someone up to your room to make sure so we take care of things they move the people and possible bedbugs on their things to another room possibly spreading the bugs.

That is a scary concept.

I don't believe that's the way it happens exactly - at least from what I have read on here from those that have experienced it. I believe they take their luggage and clothing and have them laundered and treated and then move them.

At least I hope so!

I don't believe that's the way it happens exactly - at least from what I have read on here from those that have experienced it. I believe they take their luggage and clothing and have them laundered and treated and then move them.

At least I hope so!
That is the procedure if they suspect bedbugs. It is highly likely that the CM the PP and her sister spoke to knew itwas pavement rash and not bed bugs and was just trying to pacify them. They see pavement rash all the time and would recognize it.

we have never encountered bed bugs either and we have stayed in some really nasty places when going to nascar races. {some that didn't have running water} now with that said...

the only reason the bed bug thing is front and center right now is because of the media. it's gone through several major popular stores in new york city including a broadway theater and a movie theater. the threat of bed bugs is the same every time you go into a hotel you are just more aware of it now because of the media attention it's getting. i think that there's no more threat today as opposed to 10 years ago or even a few years ago. go on your vacation and have a good time and don't worry about bed bugs.

Respectfully disagree.:flower3:
I think the problem is significantly worse than it was 10 years ago..or for that matter seven years ago when my son first started working in Manhattan. His precinct has had to throw out the couch in the lounge....twice! Mind you..it's a newly renovated building. They didn't have this problem years ago. This is recent..within the past two years. My son does not even go into that room. He's careful not to let any of his clothing touch the floor of the locker...as to not have anything come out of the crevices. His uniforms are taken to the dry cleaner and steamed. His back pack..doesn't come past the hall entry way when he comes in our house. You have to be very careful when purchasing merchandise in the city. These creatures are infesting and making themselves very comfortable in housing in every borough. People are losing their belongings, as they are incredibly difficult if not impossible to get rid of.

Personally, when we travel, I do NOT unpack. I am very careful to check the room. In particular, I remove or look behind the headboard. Then check the mattress and box springs.
While I don't obsess about these things..I think spending a few minutes upon entering your resort room to check the room is worth it, as opposed to the big bucks and heart ache should you have to get rid of your furniture and carpeting by inadvertantly bringing them home with you. That's one souvenier nobody needs.:headache:

yes, in 2006 at the Movies - my son and i were bitten on the legs all over each night, back then it wasn't as "known" as it is now - will be packing the panti-liners to check the mattress seams next month...;)

Double sided tape works better!

Double sided tape works better!

I think the reason for using the pads is for shock value. If you plop one of those babies down on the counter and say bedbugs loud enough every manager on staff will be there instantly to take care of the problem. Double sided tape just lacks the shock effect of a feminine product. :lmao:

Eeek! All this talk of bedbugs lately is just freaking me out!

Fortunately, I've never had an encounter with any - either in the US or abroad.

But now, I will check diligently! (I'm even going to be extra careful when going into NYC in a week and a half for an audition I'll be doing...)

And just have to add that the media "hype" about swine flu last year was because it was a real problem. I know. I got it - a week before the opening of the show I was in - where I was the lead role. Wish I had been more careful of heeding the warnings about swine flu. (Had to miss all but one dress rehearsal and got better just in time for opening night. Scary and stressful. And that darn cough hung around for months....)

I WILL heed the warnings about bedbugs and check every time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter