Give it to me straight! (bed bugs)

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by DaniB, Sep 2, 2010.

?

Have you come across bed bugs in a resort/hotel?

1. Yes - staying at a Disney Resort

2. No - staying at a Disney Resort

3. Yes - staying at any other hotel/resort in the US

4. No - staying at any other hotel/resort in the US

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DaniB

DaniB DIS Veteran

Yeah, I know... another bed bug thread. But this one has a twist!

After reading thread after thread, posting after posting - now I'm wondering just HOW MANY people really end up in a hotel/resort room with bed bugs? :scared1:

I'm looking forward to Disney, but I'm starting to freak out about spending a night in Buffalo, then 9 nights in Disney, and another night in Buffalo!

Lets put a limit though shall we? How about voting only for your last 3 stays somewhere.

BTW, the poll is NOT public.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. angwill

angwill I just want to live at WDW!

I have stayed in 9 different hotels this summer and had 0 encounters with bed bugs. I do a bed check as soon as I get in the room and look in drawers and under chairs. Just be prepared and know what to look for. It is a chance you take if you want to travel nowadays and being informed is important so you don't panic.

HTH

4. dvc at last !

dvc at last ! DVC Member 2006!

When you do a bed check etc. - what do you look for ?

5. nan214

nan214 Mouseketeer

no encounters with bed bugs at ANY hotels.....but at my work, a different story!!:scared1::scared1::scared1:
    I was spraying myself with pure alcohol everyday before leaving work (alcohol dries out the bed bugs and there eggs and does kill them, per the exterminator - but does NOT prevent them or resolve them if you are infested) I guess they are everywhere, even in movie theaters...

6. angwill

angwill I just want to live at WDW!

I pull off the corner of the bedsheets in the corners farthest from the windows and look in the cracks of the mattress and underneath for brown dried blood stains or the bugs themselves. Really look un the seams good. I will turn over and look in the cracks of chairs or in drawers for the same staining/bugs. HTH Do a search for bedbugs and you will get pictures and info on how to look for them. To me they look like a tick.
    HTH

7. of the seas

of the seas Of the ccccccccc

I never have. And we have stayed in some questionable places when we were driving cross country and needed some sleep desperately!

8. suzannekelder

suzannekelder Earning My Ears

i work in a hotel, a reputable chain hotel, that infrequently has a pest problem. you can usually find them in the box spring! they like it there more than the mattress.

9. themilesfamily

themilesfamily <font color=green>Wanna potty with Spongebob Squar

I Googled it. That was horrifying!! :eek:

10. Chaoticsweetness

Chaoticsweetness Mouseketeer

Me & my sister stayed at Pop in 2007, she woke up one morning with a bunch a bug bites on her leg. At first we didn't really think about it, except it occured to us it was Dec & there was a cold spell, which causes mosquitos not be buggy. So we went to one of the parks, I think AK that day. A CM was really concerned because it seemed she was having an allergic reaction, her leg swelled up, very red & very irritated; he mentioned the unthinkable that it might be bedbugs. When we go back to the hotel we went by the front desk & they upgraded us to preferred room (nice, but it was our last night) & said that they would take care of the last night stay. & gave us a $100 gift card for our troubles. But not once did the CM at the front desk acknowledge that there were bedbugs, but instead tried to please us.....we haven't stayed there since.

11. huckster

huckster DIS Veteran

never and we travel alot of places

12. Tinkerbellie16

Tinkerbellie16 <marquee><font color=deeppink>Certified <font colo

13. figmentgirl

figmentgirl DIS Veteran

Please! No more bedbugs threads. I know you're trying to make a good point that people are just being silly. I hope this is the last thread i ever read about bedbugs

14. drag n' fly

drag n' fly Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and din

Bitten at and then brought them home from POR.....let's just say building 14 is wayyyyy overrated. Por is still my fav resort even though we got eaten alive.:happytv:

15. Minnie_at_Heart

Minnie_at_Heart Earning My Ears

Nope not once when I was in Movies. I don't think I have ever encountered them even when I have stayed in other countries

16. carmiedog

carmiedog needs more kool-aid

??? If the CM truly thought it could be bedbugs, then wouldn't he/she have handled the situation wrong by not treating your clothes/luggage and risked spreading the bugs to another room?

17. Mamu

Mamu <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

Not in this Country or Europe, but have been reading about them more frequently lately.

When traveling I always read trip advisories to see if there are any reports on bed bugs. For years European Travel Advisories have cautioned visitors of bed bug problems. Always check your room. It was only a matter of time before the US would start have problems.

18. suzimar57

suzimar57 Miss my Happy Place.

yes, in 2006 at the Movies - my son and i were bitten on the legs all over each night, back then it wasn't as "known" as it is now - will be packing the panti-liners to check the mattress seams next month...;)

19. trac96

trac96 DIS Veteran

we have never encountered bed bugs either and we have stayed in some really nasty places when going to nascar races. {some that didn't have running water} now with that said...

the only reason the bed bug thing is front and center right now is because of the media. it's gone through several major popular stores in new york city including a broadway theater and a movie theater. the threat of bed bugs is the same every time you go into a hotel you are just more aware of it now because of the media attention it's getting. i think that there's no more threat today as opposed to 10 years ago or even a few years ago. go on your vacation and have a good time and don't worry about bed bugs.

20. DaniB

DaniB DIS Veteran

Sorry. ;) After reading all these stories, I really started to wonder just how many people actually run into them and thought a poll would be a good way to answer that. I don't believe I've seen this kind of poll to-date.

Thankfully the results are reassuring!! :thumbsup2

Yes, I sure plan to! I have a whole page written up on how and what to check for upon entering the room. Thanks for the info. Like I said, this poll has been very reassuring!

How does Disney treat clothes/luggage? On another thread I read heat is the only way to kill them, but heat will shrink my clothes! (sigh) I'd rather lose my clothes, but I'm wondering if there's another way of treating them than shrinking my clothes.

21. tony67

tony67 <font color=red>I always get odd looks when I put

I have not seen them at any hotel yet in the US, Europe or Canada.

I have avoided a few hotel because of the threat of them though.
    The Boston Park Plaza seems to have had issues on and off for a few years.

I did have a scare at the CSR last October, but I looked on the web before alerting anyone and it was not a bed bug.

I wonder if this is the H1N1 or SARS of this year?
    A lot of hype and then it goes away. I am confident that with all the money on the line they will come up with something.

New article on this today:
    “We believe that there probably isn’t a hotel in the United States that has not had bed bugs at least once over the last five years,’’ said Ron Harrison, director of technical services for Atlanta-based Orkin Pest Control.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...bug_fears_putting_the_bite_on_hotel_industry/