Giraffe Watch 2012 - BABY IS HERE!

She moved to the other side of the barn. I can see one hoof and the end of her tail.

Can somebody please give me the link again, I don't think I'm seeing the right thing, there is too much daylight.

Some interesting info from: http://www.giraffeconservation.org/giraffe_facts.php?pgid=41

Giraffe - The Facts

Starting Life

What is the gestation period of a giraffe?
The average gestation period for giraffe is approximately 15 months (453-464 days).

Where and when do giraffe give birth?
Giraffe give birth in a ‘calving ground’ and mothers will often return to where they were born to have their own babies. Giraffe have no formal breeding seasons as they are designed to be able to shift feeding patterns in order to maintain a high nutrient diet throughout most of the year. Calving is often synchronized to provide safety in numbers against predators. Giraffe give birth standing up, requiring the newborn to fall just under 2 meters to the ground! Designed for such an abrupt entry into the world, a newborn calf can stand up and run within an hour of being born.

What is a baby giraffe called?
A baby giraffe is called a calf.

How many giraffe can be born and how big are they?
Usually only one calf is born although twins have been recorded. The average height at birth is just under 2 metres with a tendency for the females to be very slightly smaller than the males. A newborn calf weighs about 100kg. Newborn calves grow very quickly and can nearly double their height in the first year.

For how long will the giraffe rely on its mother’s milk?
A newborn giraffe will suckle its mother’s milk as soon as it can stand up. Calves are reliant on their mother’s milk for up to 9-12 months. Solid food (leaves) can be eaten from about 4 months at which time calves begin to ruminate.

What is the biggest threat to a baby giraffe and how can a mother protect them?
The first few months of a giraffe’s life are the most vulnerable; predators such as lions, hyenas, hunting dogs and leopards all see a baby giraffe as prey. The giraffe mothers are extremely protective and will meter out a powerful kick to any other animal that comes too close. During the first few days a newborn giraffe will be left sitting in grasses while the mother goes off to feed, but after a few weeks the youngster is introduced to the rest of the herd and nursery groups are formed where one mother will ‘keep watch’ while the others have a chance to go and find food.

When do giraffe ‘leave home’?
Male calves will leave their mothers at about 15 months and form all-male groups. The female juveniles however don’t leave until they are about 18 months old and stay in the same areas as the family herd they grew up in.

Thank you but that is what I've been looking at. Call me crazy, but it is night time and all I see on this webcam is daylight? Is it that bright in there right now or is it just me?

Either the camera has a night filter on it to make it seem brighter or the barn is lit. Probably so zookeepers and vets can keep an eye on her at night.

Thanks, so I'm not crazy, is anyone seeing her right now? Or is it completely empty?

I see her body and neck, but her head is out of the frame.

Ah forget it, it must be the iPad. It's not showing anything live tonite. I saw a great live picture last night. I think I'll just give up for now.

GiraffeCam_20121019233709.jpg

This is what was showing a couple minutes ago

I see her standing by the divider.

Is it just me or is her stomach moving?

No, her stomach appears to be moving. That baby is awake. Hope he or she makes an appearance soon, but not tonight because I have to go to bed now.

Thanks Carolyn, I saw it perfectly last night, I don't understand why I can't tonite. I wonder if anyone else is viewing from an IPad and having the same problem?

Thanks Carolyn, I saw it perfectly last night, I don't understand why I can't tonite. I wonder if anyone else is viewing from an IPad and having the same problem?

I know on my computer I had to update my Flash player to get it to work.

You're quite welcome! I'm glad I could help you see her tonight! I'm on a MacBook and not having a problem.

She was laying down sleeping by this time last night. She seems like she is trying to sleep standing up, like she is tired but her body is telling her not to lay down.

She is standing pretty still and I can see her belly move during inhale and exhale, maybe it will be today.

Now she is eating again....

Looks like Walter is in the barn. The FB page said Autumn would be out in the exhibit till 1:30 then they will switch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter