1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Gingerbread house at Grand Floridian

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by nanalisa, Oct 29, 2012.

1. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

How does the gingerbread house stay up? We will be at WDW starting Jan 2 and I would love to snag a piece of that gingerbread before it's gone.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You won't snag any part of the gingerbread house at the GF. They don't sell the house. But they do sell gingerbread from the house. And by Jan 2 it might all be gone.

4. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

LOL, I know you can't eat the house. We saw it last December and I spent over $100.00 on gingerbread goodies (don't tell DH). I hadn't even thought about it until today and just wondered how long they leave it up.

5. sndral

sndral DIS Veteran

Maybe you can volunteer to help take it down and snag a few shingles and save a few bucks in the process!:rolleyes1
    Kidding, just kidding!

6. TigrLvsPooh

TigrLvsPooh Planning WDW Trips Obsessively

You will be cutting it close! We checked in on January 1st this year and it was the last day! In fact they were giving away tons of gingerbread, we ended up with about 5 bags. :lmao:

January 1, 2012:

[​IMG]

The next morning it was almost completely gone by the time we woke up! :scared1:

January 2, 2012:

[​IMG]

7. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

I'm not too proud to snag but I'll probably miss it. We arrive on the 1-2-13 so by the time I could get over there it will be gone.

TigrLvsPooh, thanks for the pictures! Brings back yummy memories of last Christmas.

8. cmadara

cmadara Mouseketeer

Ok- sorry to hijack the thread, but since we now know when it comes down, the next questions is when does it go up?:confused3
    We will be there next week and the 1st MVMCP is also next week. Have always wanted to see it but miss it.
    So........what are my chances of it being up- would love to hop off the monorail to take a peek!
    Thanks so much!

9. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

All decorations are guaranteed to be up by the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

10. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Wonderful pics! :)

11. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

I'll bet they are making gingerbread shingles right now. I can only imagine how good that bakery smells.

12. DVC Kelly

DVC Kelly Mouseketeer Approved Advertiser

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm delicious! :cheer2:

13. Keegansmommy

Keegansmommy Mouseketeer

We're arriving 1/1 and I just asked this question on Disney's Mom Panel. The mom who responded said it's set to close 12/31 this year and will be taken down 1/1. Looks like we'll both miss it. :(

14. doclegler

doclegler DIS Veteran

Just wanted to say that my family of 5 tried the gingerbread samples there were giving out there a few years back, and they were AWFUL!! :eek: Smelled wonderful but tasted terrible...

15. TigrLvsPooh

That surprises me. I wonder if this panelist actually talked to someone high up enough to give the correct information? January 1st is a national holiday, to think they'd have a construction crew working that day (and probably on double holiday pay) seems questionable. Or maybe I'm just bitter and I want them to be wrong. :lmao:

16. TigrLvsPooh

Some of the ones with the jelly inside are gross I agree.

17. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

Oh that makes such good sense. No one wants to deconstuct a gingerbread house on a holiday and certainly no one would want to see it happening. You could be on to something. I'm going to hang on to that thought.

I ate some of the gingerbread I bought last year and thought it was good. Not as good as it looked - the decorated pieces are just beautiful, almost too pretty to eat.

18. TigrLvsPooh

We checked in on Jan. 1st around the middle of the afternoon and there was a CM passing out bags of gingerbread to everyone in the lobby. They were definitely cleaning out all their stock. So maybe "technically" they closed 12/31 and on 1/1 they were just giving everything away??? I'm not sure. But I highly doubt they'll be taking it apart on a holiday. I've got a buddy who works at the GF, when I get there this weekend I'll try to find out more definitive info. :thumbsup2

19. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I always make sure on my trip to enter the second floor on the monorail side; the minute those doors open, you can smell the gingerbread already before you even see the house!::yes::

20. nanalisa

nanalisa DIS Veteran

We did just that last December 22. We smelled the gingerbread and heard the bell ringers playing Christmas music and saw the gingerbread house and tree. It was Christmas for all the senses. DH said he could fly down to WDW and sit in the GF lobby for 2 days. It's something special to have the Christmas spirit and the magic of Disney in one beautifully wrapped package.

21. nancyc

nancyc Mouseketeer

We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving, the house was up. Hope it works out for you pixiedust: