Gift for stepmother going to China?

Bnb0627

Mouseketeer
The company my stepmother works for is expanding to China and they have asked her to go over and help get things started. She will be leaving in April for 8 weeks and then again from August to November.

I would like to get her a gift, just to say congratulations or possibly something she could use there. I know she will have a personal interpreter and has already been learning the language.

The company my stepmother works for is expanding to China and they have asked her to go over and help get things started. She will be leaving in April for 8 weeks and then again from August to November.

I would like to get her a gift, just to say congratulations or possibly something she could use there. I know she will have a personal interpreter and has already been learning the language.

A super-cool carry-on bag for the plane rides already stocked with a kindle (or books/magazines) and candy and comforts of home like swarm socks for the plane and a neck-pillow?

That's all I can think of as I've never been there myself. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Well if she is going to Beijing I would give her a mask. The air quality is terrible there. My dh goes there a lot and is going again in May. He usually comes back coughing up lots of black crud.

2 of my ds went with him the other year. I sent them with peanut butter and beef jerky. It was gone by the time they got back.

So if there are any favorite foods she likes send them with her.

Also maybe some dvds of movies she likes. My ds said the tv shows there are strange. Like one was a recycling game show?

Also I would bring a supply of meds. Is she going to access to the "good" hospitals. My dh work sends him with a health care kit that contains antibiotics etc.

I wouldn't get anything physical that she has to tote. She will probably be going with full bags, as it's a long trip, and will certainly come home with purchases. So, I'd stick to something digital (iTunes gift card?) or consumable (a bag of her favorite snacks?) Maybe just take her out for a celebratory dinner at a great restaurant before she leaves?

It's very nice of you to do this for her. What a great opportunity she has. Can you go visit?

Well if she is going to Beijing I would give her a mask. The air quality is terrible there. My dh goes there a lot and is going again in May. He usually comes back coughing up lots of black crud.

2 of my ds went with him the other year. I sent them with peanut butter and beef jerky. It was gone by the time they got back.

So if there are any favorite foods she likes send them with her.

Also maybe some dvds of movies she likes. My ds said the tv shows there are strange. Like one was a recycling game show?

Also I would bring a supply of meds. Is she going to access to the "good" hospitals. My dh work sends him with a health care kit that contains antibiotics etc.

Agree with all of this. I lived there for a bit in 2011 and I was desperate for DVD's of American TV shows. Hopefully she also has a Kindle or ebook reader.

I also got a few very useful apps - one on my iphone that converted english text to a chinese speaking voice and it came in handy all the time while traveling on the subway.

[

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will call my Father and see what she might need. I never thought about movies that's a good idea, maybe a subscription to Netflix or Hulu? I'll have to see what type of device she'll have, I know she'll have a laptop.

I wish I could visit but our trip to Disney in 46 days is the only vacation in our budget this year!

She is going to be working hard. I would give her a treat. Maybe a gift certificate to the spa at the Four Seasons in Beijing or Shanghai (assuming she will be in Shanghai). Something to look forward to after the long days at the office.

[

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will call my Father and see what she might need. I never thought about movies that's a good idea, maybe a subscription to Netflix or Hulu? I'll have to see what type of device she'll have, I know she'll have a laptop.

I wish I could visit but our trip to Disney in 46 days is the only vacation in our budget this year!

I doubt she can access Netflix or Hulu in China, even without their restricted Internet. I'd go with a compact case logic type DVD carrier and fill it with a few DVDs if she's bringing her laptop- and definitely a few food goodies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter