Gidget Goes Hawaiian- Kauai & Aulani 8/2012 TR- 5/24 COMPLETE!!

Thank YOU!! Me too!! :hyper: How is Fran? Did you see we changed our dates again? Now going to be in Anaheim 8/21-26....I think the first night they will be going to an Angels game- I will be in DL. :goodvibes

OK noting in my phone We can go hang out in my "special place" while they are at the game! :thumbsup2

Fran's wound is doing really good. To me (a civilian) it looks like it might actually be healed before our trip. Not going to be that hopeful, but it is really healing well! :thumbsup2

you will have a blast in CA...love all the Hawaii photos. I really would love to go there soon. Maybe that's where christmas should be next year.

I bet that would be great!

You had me at "Hawaiian Martini". :love:

REALLY was sooooo good- if I was less of a lightweight, I would have had a bunch!

I just started reading your report, I just got to the part about the North Shore and loved it. My DH and I stayed there for our honeymoon this September at the Turtle Bay Resort... wouldn't ya know we saw NO turtles! I think it was the time of year maybe? We also didn't see many people... it was secluded so it was worth the lack of waves and turtles. :laughing:

Hi! Thanks for reading! :goodvibes The first thing Ricardo (scuba guy) said when I spoke with him on the phone to plan that day was, "Are you staying at Turtle Bay?" :thumbsup2 It really looks like a beautiful resort- there is an Aloha podcast, and they always speak highly of it- I would LOVE to go one day!

It is so fun to see the pics of your time there, I was in all those same areas! The North Shore is definitely a place I recommend anyone to stay at. Turtle Bay is one of two resorts there and it has an ocean view out of every room! We had an amazing time. I'm actually writing a TR about it. :thumbsup2

Where? I would love to read it!

We didn't do kayaking while we were there but after seeing the pics you took I definitely need to add that to the list of things to do next time!! Awesome TR so far. I am a huge Disney fan and never thought I'd stay anywhere but a Disney hotel but Hawaii has made me broaden my horizens a bit! We did not stay at Aulani but I can see it is an amazing resort! Next time we're in Hawaii we'll be stopping by for some dinner at Ama Ama. popcorn::

I'll have to finish the rest later! Thanks for this awesome report, sounds like you had a great time! :yay:

We did have a great time- best vacation EVER, and that is saying a LOT! Come back soon-:)

I didn't. I need to put it in my calendar. I know - those National Parks hotels charge and arm and a leg!

Yes they do- and I think this is the most expensive one.:crazy2:

OK noting in my phone We can go hang out in my "special place" while they are at the game! :thumbsup2

Where's the special place? Can't wait!:goodvibes

Fran's wound is doing really good. To me (a civilian) it looks like it might actually be healed before our trip. Not going to be that hopeful, but it is really healing well! :thumbsup2

I will keep my fingers crossed for her. I have been catching up on your TR- I read it last night until my ipad ran out. Haven't posted because I don't want to lose my place. But can I just say, WOW! What a cabin!! :worship: And Holy Tanzanite, Batgirl! You did some jewelry shopping!

It really is a nice resort. And for the money it is a great value! Every room has an ocean view. You pay extra for the "best" ocean view but we had the cheapest one and the ocean was like 5 feet from us haha! I got shrimp from one of the shrimp trucks too, and I don't like sea food normally but that shrimp was GOOD! Mine was from Tony Romas. Excited to start back up on the reading again!

Ohh and this is my TR link :) I should probably put it in my signature. ::yes::

All caught up! Congratulations on learning to surf! You and the family did really well! Looks like it was a great time.

Aulani still looks wonderful, and happy belated anniversary! as well.

Glad you were spared from Sandy, but your neighbors...:scared1:

That food really does look amazing. I want one of each. :rotfl2: I love the view - just perfect.

Sorry you ended up running late. Live and learn. You'll know next time. And there will be a next time - right? ;)

I got behind again! Surfing looks so fun. So they must've taken photos and gave you a CD of them then? That is so cool to be able to document it with pics.

Aulani is just beautiful. I really hope some day we can bite the bullet and fly there. But right now my husband has a hard time biting the bullet to fly to Florida! :)

That looks like one expensive dinner, but like you said, it's your big anniversary dinner, so you can go all out. Honestly, though, it's on par with some Disney restaurant prices.

It really is a nice resort. And for the money it is a great value! Every room has an ocean view. You pay extra for the "best" ocean view but we had the cheapest one and the ocean was like 5 feet from us haha! I got shrimp from one of the shrimp trucks too, and I don't like sea food normally but that shrimp was GOOD! Mine was from Tony Romas. Excited to start back up on the reading again!

Ohh and this is my TR link :) I should probably put it in my signature. ::yes::

Your view was beautiful! I am subbed to your TR- looking forward to reading more! Thanks for the link-

All caught up! Congratulations on learning to surf! You and the family did really well! Looks like it was a great time.

It was really, REALLY awesome- thanks! :goodvibes

Aulani still looks wonderful, and happy belated anniversary! as well.

Thank-you!

Glad you were spared from Sandy, but your neighbors...:scared1:

Yea- what a mess. So many without flood insurance, because it never flooded before.

That food really does look amazing. I want one of each. :rotfl2: I love the view - just perfect.

Sorry you ended up running late. Live and learn. You'll know next time. And there will be a next time - right? ;)

Of course!! I'm more than half way to mileage tickets! :rotfl: But just Pods and I next trip- I think....:guilty:

I got behind again! Surfing looks so fun. So they must've taken photos and gave you a CD of them then? That is so cool to be able to document it with pics.

Yes- they had a photographer (fireman) taking pics the first 45 minutes- when you were done, you could watch the CD and see if you wanted it, then paid for it (it wasn't crazy expensive- maybe $40?) and it came 2 weeks later at home.:thumbsup2

Aulani is just beautiful. I really hope some day we can bite the bullet and fly there. But right now my husband has a hard time biting the bullet to fly to Florida! :)

It is very, very worth it. Soooo different from the Caribbean- does he like it there? Does he do DCL?

That looks like one expensive dinner, but like you said, it's your big anniversary dinner, so you can go all out. Honestly, though, it's on par with some Disney restaurant prices.

Yes, and many NYC restaurants- and we are used to all that, but not usually with the kids!

I will tell you upfront, my pics from Starlit Hui are atrocious! But....the experience itself was excellent. We did miss all the pre-stuff, but my kids are maybe a little old for that anyway, so that would have just been me making things with 6 year olds while my UBER cool teenagers hung their heads in shame.

Hmmm...too bad I missed that. :laughing:

Anyway, when we arrived, the show was in full swing. It was PACKED! But no sooner than we had gotten to the entrance than a CM came up to help us find seats on one of the mats. I was VERY impressed by that! :thumbsup2

The uncle who had done the storytelling was the "MC", and he was great. Here are a few short videos of him and of the show-

click to play-

Those two were VERY talented. This is Uncle, click to play-

The main reason I wanted my kids to see this was I wanted them to see the beauty of the Hawaiian culture, not just the beauty of the landscape. I wanted them to have the memory, even if they wouldn't fully appreciate it until later in their life. It's all just so magical-

Hawaii2012KandAulani391.jpg

click to play-

At the end, all of the characters come up, and then- it's time to dance!
click to play-

But who was going to dance with ME????

Hawaii2012KandAulani394.jpg

Yeah, that's right- the baby drew the short straw. :rotfl:

To be honest, though, Timmy loves to dance. When he goes to a Bar/Bat Mitvah, or a social, and all of his friends are standing in the corner, Timmy is out on the dance floor surrounded by girls.

He's no dope.

Tyler, of course, is too cool for dancing, so, he watched in horror from the sidelines. :cool1: Both of them were too cool to go up and say hi to the Mouse-

Hawaii2012KandAulani395.jpg

But...I was happy Timmy was gettin his dance on with his Mama!

Hawaii2012KandAulani396.jpg

It's ok, Tweeler- Mama loves you, too-

Hawaii2012KandAulani399.jpg

But it's too bad you missed out on all the fun!

Hawaii2012KandAulani400.jpg

After the Hui, the boys went off to see if anything was happening in Painted Sky, and Pods and I went to see if anything was happening in Off the Hook!

Coming up next-

We had not been to Off the Hook yet, so we thought let's give it a try! I ordered my favorite drink at the resort (so far- there was still my MOST favorite that I was to have tomorrow.....), the Lilikoi Mojito-

Hawaii2012KandAulani401.jpg

And Pods had a Tropical Mai Tai-

Hawaii2012KandAulani402.jpg

Not a whole lot of people here, but that ended up being really nice- because we got to talk to the bartender alot, and she was nice and informative. :goodvibes She explained that they would soon be adding another counter service over on the other side, I think she said it would replace a GV on the ground floor.... she told us about the Hui moving to another lawn, and that area becoming a larger waterplay area....and that there was a bigwig from Disney there right then- but I have no idea who she said it was. :confused: It sounded like everyone was very excited for what was happening at the resort, and they all loved their jobs with Disney. :mickeyjum

Hawaii2012KandAulani406.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani407.jpg

The tv was on.....

Hawaii2012KandAulani411.jpg

And we did hang out for a little longer- but then it was time for bed. It had been a loooooooooong day! I took a few very poor night shots on the way to the elevator-

Hawaii2012KandAulani416.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani419.jpg

Looks like I took a detour into the lobby-

Hawaii2012KandAulani421.jpg

Before making it back to

Hawaii2012KandAulani423.jpg

Where the boys were already snoring it up!

Up next- relaxing at Aulani, and our visit to Laniwai, the incredible Aulani spa!

Wonderful evening. Claire likes to dance, but she can't stand to see me do it. UNLESS she is being shy then she drags me out with her till she makes new friends.

Here we go again ........... another great update, Ellen. I love how you spent your evening and it's awesome to hear that Timmy was all in for dancing with mom! :thumbsup2

Wonderful evening. Claire likes to dance, but she can't stand to see me do it. UNLESS she is being shy then she drags me out with her till she makes new friends.

Ahhh...the old ditcheroo.....:scratchin :joker:

Here we go again ........... another great update, Ellen. I love how you spent your evening and it's awesome to hear that Timmy was all in for dancing with mom! :thumbsup2

Tim was wonderful that night- he was so charming! :love:

The baby always draws the short straw. :rotfl: Joshua is our baby and he always hangs out with me. :thumbsup2 The girls, who are teenagers, are high pressed to do little more than admit I'm not a total goof but Joshua, he's my buddy. Smart boys!

Great update, the drinks look delicious.

My men have all gone to Brooklyn to see the Nets play Phoenix, so.....On Saturday, we had originally planned to go out to Kualoa Ranch and go on a 2 hour horseback ride. But, about the time we were eating un-filled malasadas after the North Shore, we decided to cancel and just hang and relax at Aulani.

It made for a very chill morning before our already scheduled couples massage at Laniwai, I can tell you that! :cloud9:

I was sad we didn't make it out there, but, ya know, there's always NEXT time!

Before I keep going, I have two pics from surfing that were on my phone that I like- so you will now have to look at them whether you like it or not:wave2:

iphonenov2012179.jpg

iphonenov2012180.jpg

Anyway, as per my am ritual, I went down to Olelo to pick up breakfast- and this time I took some pics of the brekkie situation-

HAwaiiwater2012259.jpg

Yummm...in the bottom right of that pic were the almond croissants- ohhhhhh......sooooooo...goooood.....::yes::

HAwaiiwater2012260.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012261.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012262.jpg

Back up to the 10th floor- this was right near the elevator, and right next to our room. It really reminded me of AKV Jambo with the windows every so often to see animals- only here, you saw Hawaii. Hard to say which I like looking at more-

HAwaiiwater2012264.jpg

After some coffe and croissant, I went to say thanks to Jaren-

HAwaiiwater2012266.jpg

I apologized for being such a mess the day before, and he was the NICEST about it- he said no one should be that stressed in Hawaii, and he wanted to make sure everything was better for us with the key, etc by the time we got back. He tried to talk me into the valet for free, but I said it really was not neccessary, I was just having a "moment" (which ya gotta think the super duper uber planner and tour guide is allowed at least ONCE per vacation). :rotfl: SHEESH. It's a LOT of pressure always having to know EVERYTHING!!! ::yes::

Well, I had a nice chat with Jaren, he was cute as a button, and an absolutely PERFECT CM, so lucky me that I chose to be a freak when I was around him and not someone else.

Pods was already at the pool, showin me how it's done-

HAwaiiwater2012267.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012268.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012269.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012270.jpg

We were gettin hungry, and today we decided to order by the pool from the servers who are circulating- here is the poolside menu-

HAwaiiwater2012271.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012272.jpg

HAwaiiwater2012273.jpg

What was that on the first menu? A Cucumber Lychee Fizz? Oh...oh yes...I'll try that one, please.

HAwaiiwater2012275.jpg

It was light. It was refreshing. It was PERFECTION. :cloud9: Effen Vodka, oh where oh where hast thou been all my life??? Who knew? Cucumber Vodka is IT! :banana:

For lunch (besides the cucumbers) I had ordered an Upcountry Romaine Caesar Salad with Chicken.

HAwaiiwater2012276.jpg

And Pods had a Ham and Swiss Panini, I believe....

HAwaiiwater2012277.jpg

A delicious lunch that required less than zero effort! PERFECT! Much better than riding horses! The boys were off swimming and then checking out Painted Sky- they got their own nuggets/burgers for lunch. We decided it would be nice to go for a little walk, just to see what there is to see around that Ko Olina beach....next!

The baby always draws the short straw. :rotfl: Joshua is our baby and he always hangs out with me. :thumbsup2 The girls, who are teenagers, are high pressed to do little more than admit I'm not a total goof but Joshua, he's my buddy. Smart boys!

Great update, the drinks look delicious.

That's true!! :rotfl: OOH! I just saw Timmy on TV! :yay: They are sitting 3 rows off the floor at the Nets game- it wa sa Christmas gift.

Yea- Timmy does draw the short stick in that way- but Tyler is the one who does anything I ask at home, so, I guess they both have short sticks to draw! :laughing:

Woo hoo I'm caught up again. I'm enjoying your pics of Aulani, it makes me want to be there right now.

I was going through Hawaii withdrawals and have already booked the Big Island for the end of May. I had a airline credit to use up, ok I'll confess it was only $182...I'm so out of control.:lmao:

Woo hoo I'm caught up again. I'm enjoying your pics of Aulani, it makes me want to be there right now.

I was going through Hawaii withdrawals and have already booked the Big Island for the end of May. I had a airline credit to use up, ok I'll confess it was only $182...I'm so out of control.:lmao:

I'M SO JELLY!!!!!! Lucky you! All I do is plan other vacations, and the whole time all I can think is, I wish it was Hawaii again! :rotfl: I think 2015 might be the year....or 16. But I am going to go before it's 5 years, THAT is a promise. But MAy??? Again- SOOOO JELLY!!!

I forgot to tell you that in that Christmas Aulani video, my friends daughter was in it too. She is in the 2nd to last scene. How awesome to "know" 2 people in it now.

The paninni looks darn good.

I'M SO JELLY!!!!!! Lucky you! All I do is plan other vacations, and the whole time all I can think is, I wish it was Hawaii again! :rotfl: I think 2015 might be the year....or 16. But I am going to go before it's 5 years, THAT is a promise. But MAy??? Again- SOOOO JELLY!!!

I hope you make it back before 2015.

The thought of waiting until June 2014 to go back to Aulani was too long. We were going to go to Victoria BC, but the flights were too expensive so we switched to the Big Island and we had enough points for 5 free nights so we're only paying for 2. It's my after budget season reward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter