Gidget Goes Hawaiian- Kauai & Aulani 8/2012 TR- 5/24 COMPLETE!!

Thanks for the Sandy update, not too much about the problems in the news lately. Glad help will be decided on today.

Love me some lazy river time, don't do the slides, hate getting my face wet!:thumbsup2

Love the blue toes, most stylish!:cool2:

Love how you spent your afternoon. Yeah, I have the drool pool guy here just sitting and sleeping while "watching" a game, but he won't sit on the beach, or do a float around for long either. :confused3

The Red Hot dog looks great! I guess I didn't know about that one - so many reasons to go back! :banana: If I don't catch up to you before you leave, have a great time in Mexico!

We eventually headed up to our room with the boys- time to get ready for our dinner at Roy's!

Loved your update. So nice to remember...we did that...uh huh, we were right there by the quiet pool...we sat there during Starlit Hui... :cool1:

I'm interested to hear your review of Roy's. DW and I enjoyed it much more than Ama Ama. I guess it didn't hurt that they knew we were celebrating our anniversary and treated us accordingly! :thumbsup2

Great pix Ellen !! Now the Lazy River is something I CAN handle especially if kids aren't around to splash/dunk me:rotfl2:I do believe I may be talking to Carol about a Hawaiin Free trip:thumbsup2

Glad you didn't have too much damage from Sandy. But the bad looks like it was really close. Hope your neighbors get relief soon. It was such a terrible storm. Many thoughts and prayers for those who were so affected by it.

What a nice relaxing afternoon at the resort. Love me some lazy river time. And I hate to say this but so does my DH. But he loves his naps too! lol. And I can't believe you are still going after the surfing and sliding and wandering around the resort. I bet you were pretty exhausted by the time you called it a night.

Can't wait to see what was for dinner though.

Wow! Learning to surf is one of my dreams too. Seems like that is the place to do it! Although am sure I would not do as well as you- way to go standing up on the board!!

Aulani definitely on my someday wish list. Looks AMAZING!!!

I didn't even know Aulani had a lazy river and water slides. It really does have something for everyone and totally looks like paradise.

I'm with C - its moving higher and higher on my list!

1) Ok Gidget.....I'm impressed with yer sufing ability.:worship:

2) Your pics are WONDERFUL!!

3) All of Allstate and Statefarm claims reps are staying at the hotel where I work at
(doncha love it).:rolleyes1
and some of the stories they have told me....OUCH!!

Oh and by the way....... recently I ran across the MOST PERFECT person that you JUST NEED TO MEET ON YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE:

SANFRAN-DEC13004.jpg

(I saw this at Cracker Barrell the other day & it just screamed YOU):lmao:

Keep up the nice updates as between you and "We came , we saw we kicked its AFT" DCL trip report, I just may have to venture out again into the waters sometime in 2014.:goodvibes

T.T.F.N.

Fran and I are both getting over an upper respiratory thing, since we got back from the cruise. She had to postpone her arthritis drugs from next Monday to the following week. Her main wound is getting smaller, but another opened up. I think we will still be changing dressings on our WDW trip at the end of the month.

I'm sorry- :hug: I hope she is doing ok without the arthritis drugs. All good thoughts coming her way for those wounds healing up!

I didn't notice your dates had changed, but since I live near DL, I would have only noticed if you changed it to a time when I would be out of town. We'll have to met up for a drink!

YES!!! Maybe the night my family goes to the Angels game- I would love a buddy to hang with!

Love me some lazy river! Men just don't get it do they? :confused3

I guess most don't. Why laying on a chair and snoring all day is somehow more entertaining for him I will NEVER understand! Wouldn't you rather float around and see a different view than just lay there and look at the SAME thing OVER AND OVER???? :rotfl2: I guess that explains why he prefers AI's and I prefer cruises! :rolleyes:

You look super tan in the one photo. Have fun in Mexico! We're at 8 weeks out for our FLA break, a week in Orlando at the timeshare. I better not say it on here but we may not hit a park at all this year, except for Legoland. We just enjoy the warm and pool time.

ANY winter getaway is a great one- so nice to be in that warm weather when you can't be at home. :thumbsup2

You know you are tortouring me, Ellen, don't you? :lmao:

Sorry girlfriend!

Okay, yes, I love all the pics and that lazy river looks just AWESOME!!!!!!! All those Aulani pics just make me want to go there ....... now all I need is the airfare to plummit. :rotfl2: :rotfl2: (which it won't!)

And another vacation coming up. Hope you are doing another report! I just LOVE reading those! :goodvibes

Not sure- I'll probably do just a little mini TR (like I should for the trip to WDW we took in November).

Thanks for the Sandy update, not too much about the problems in the news lately. Glad help will be decided on today.

And they DID vote to help. People in Brick Township were alloed to move back into their homes yesterday- with a ton of curfews and restrictions. There's a lot of rebuilding to do.

Love me some lazy river time, don't do the slides, hate getting my face wet!:thumbsup2

Why am I not surprised? :rolleyes:

Love the blue toes, most stylish!:cool2:

Thank-you! Still trying to decide what color to pick for Mexico- maybe blue again, but darker....SUCH a big decision! :rotfl:

Love how you spent your afternoon. Yeah, I have the drool pool guy here just sitting and sleeping while "watching" a game, but he won't sit on the beach, or do a float around for long either. :confused3

GEEZ! At least Pods will drool on the beach or by the pool- in fact, he prefers drooling by the ocean, right at the water's edge.

Ok- seriously. He has a drooling preference. Does anyone see a problem here? Other than the fact that I am spending waaaaaay too much time talking about my husband's saliva? :rotfl2::rotfl2:

The Red Hot dog looks great! I guess I didn't know about that one - so many reasons to go back! :banana: If I don't catch up to you before you leave, have a great time in Mexico!

Pods got one the first day- it was good, but I liked the regular dogs better- although, THAT one is the one my tastebuds remember the best. :confused3

MAGICFOR2 said:
what? You're not going to the game? I love the Angels! Fireworks when they score! :thumbsup2

:sunny:

Well, by August I will have sat through 2 kids x 2 baseball teams x 2 seasons of games, so..... I think I will be ok missing one more, even if there ARE fireworks. Lol-
Besides, I am waaaay more excited to go to DL than they are, and this will give me a chance to go on rides they won't, like Mr Toad, ans IASW which no matter how pretty it looks, i am pretty sure they won't go near....

And if I'm lucky, I'll get to hang un-interrupted with a DIS friend or 2! :)

Well, by August I will have sat through 2 kids x 2 baseball teams x 2 seasons of games, so..... I think I will be ok missing one more, even if there ARE fireworks. Lol-
Besides, I am waaaay more excited to go to DL than they are, and this will give me a chance to go on rides they won't, like Mr Toad, ans IASW which no matter how pretty it looks, i am pretty sure they won't go near....

And if I'm lucky, I'll get to hang un-interrupted with a DIS friend or 2! :)

Sounds like a good plan! I will ride IASW with you!:goodvibes

Loved your update. So nice to remember...we did that...uh huh, we were right there by the quiet pool...we sat there during Starlit Hui... :cool1:

I'm interested to hear your review of Roy's. DW and I enjoyed it much more than Ama Ama. I guess it didn't hurt that they knew we were celebrating our anniversary and treated us accordingly! :thumbsup2

I'm honestly not sure which I liked more- we had 3 good experiences at Ama Ama, and the lunch on the last day was AWESOME....Roys was very good, but we really didn't feel like it was better than AMA AMA, but maybe that is because we had built it up to "this is going to be the best!!" :confused3

Great pix Ellen !! Now the Lazy River is something I CAN handle especially if kids aren't around to splash/dunk me:rotfl2:I do believe I may be talking to Carol about a Hawaiin Free trip:thumbsup2

GO ROSIE!!! :banana:

Glad you didn't have too much damage from Sandy. But the bad looks like it was really close. Hope your neighbors get relief soon. It was such a terrible storm. Many thoughts and prayers for those who were so affected by it.

Mine too-:)

What a nice relaxing afternoon at the resort. Love me some lazy river time. And I hate to say this but so does my DH. But he loves his naps too! lol. And I can't believe you are still going after the surfing and sliding and wandering around the resort. I bet you were pretty exhausted by the time you called it a night.

Yes- by the end of the day, I was EXHAUSTED!

Can't wait to see what was for dinner though.

:goodvibes

Wow! Learning to surf is one of my dreams too. Seems like that is the place to do it! Although am sure I would not do as well as you- way to go standing up on the board!!

Aulani definitely on my someday wish list. Looks AMAZING!!!

It is a great place for it- the boards are SO big but they are light, the waves are constant but not too big, the water was warm, the firemen- well, who doesn't feel safe and secure with those guys around? It was PERFECT!:)

I didn't even know Aulani had a lazy river and water slides. It really does have something for everyone and totally looks like paradise.

I'm with C - its moving higher and higher on my list!

It is a magnifenctly beautiful resort. You REALLy need to go!

1) Ok Gidget.....I'm impressed with yer sufing ability.:worship:

2) Your pics are WONDERFUL!!

3) All of Allstate and Statefarm claims reps are staying at the hotel where I work at
(doncha love it).:rolleyes1
and some of the stories they have told me....OUCH!!

Oh and by the way....... recently I ran across the MOST PERFECT person that you JUST NEED TO MEET ON YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE:

SANFRAN-DEC13004.jpg

(I saw this at Cracker Barrell the other day & it just screamed YOU):lmao:

Keep up the nice updates as between you and "We came , we saw we kicked its AFT" DCL trip report, I just may have to venture out again into the waters sometime in 2014.:goodvibes

T.T.F.N.

I had that monkey when I was a kid!!!! How cute that you thought of me and my monkey love! :love::rotfl: Thanks for the cute pic!

And glad to hear you are enjoying yourself with the Insurance reps- don't think I realized you work at a hotel. Which one?

Sounds like a good plan! I will ride IASW with you!:goodvibes

Great! Did you see our dates changed AGAIN? Now we are going to be in DL 8/21-26. We are hoping for lighter crowds because Cali schools will be back in, and we saved a little $$$ on our Ahwahnee stay in Yosemite (MAN!! That is an expensive hotel! :eek:).

you will have a blast in CA...love all the Hawaii photos. I really would love to go there soon. Maybe that's where christmas should be next year.

Tonight we were having dinner at Roy's, right across the street. Our starlit Hui night had been moved to this evening, no doubt due to the Electric Slide wedding the night before, and I tried to make a new reservation as early as possible- but, we still got to the Hui late. Anyway...we didn't know that yet! So on with dinner-

We entered like we were going golfing again-

Hawaii2012KandAulani365.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani366.jpg

And had about a 5 minute wait once we were inside-

Hawaii2012KandAulani368.jpg

We were seated at a window, with this particular view-

Hawaii2012KandAulani371.jpg

Funny they knew what we wanted to see! :rotfl:

Their menu is HUGE- even their cocktail menu offers so much! I had The Original Hawaiian Martini
In classic Hawaiian fashion, our Maui pineapples are drenched in SKYY Vodka, Stoli Vanil Vodka & Malibu Coconut Rum. Hand shaken to order.

Hawaii2012KandAulani369.jpg

And it was goooooood. REALLY good. For apps, Pods and I shared Roy’s Style Dim Sum Canoe for Two 30.5
Spicy Tuna Maki, Shrimp Tempura, Blackened Island Ahi, Baby Back Ribs, Chicken Spring Rolls

Hawaii2012KandAulani372.jpg

Here are some close ups-

Hawaii2012KandAulani375.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani376.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani377.jpg

Hawaii2012KandAulani378.jpg

OOPS! One of the ribs was already missing. Pods......

The boys ordered their own- Tyler wanted Chinatown Chicken Spring Rolls Black Bean Dragon Sauce 11.25

Hawaii2012KandAulani374.jpg

And Timmy predictably ordered Wood Smoked Mongolian Spiced Baby Ribs 13

Hawaii2012KandAulani373.jpg

As you can see, the food is gorgeous, and BIG- I think I was full after just the apps!

the sun was setting across the street....

Hawaii2012KandAulani379.jpg

In a bit, our dinners came out. And I'll be back in a few with all of that!

Ok- sorry about that- needed to upload a phone pic, and ended up doing a few more while I was at it. Here is my phone pic, taken during our apps-

iphonenov2012181.jpg

And looking at it, I am remembering that the boys split and shared their apps. :)
On with the main courses...I believe Timmy had Sous Vide Shinsato Farm “Berk’s” Pork Pot Roast
Garlic Grilled Shrimp & Paniolo BBQ Sauce 39

Hawaii2012KandAulani380.jpg

A very impressive (and expensive) dinner for a 13 year old, huh! :rotfl: But, we knew that going in, and like you, Bill, this was our "Anniversary Dinner" of the trip- so bring it on!

Pods and I ordered the same thing, which was CLASSIC DUET
Roy’s Classic Macadamia Nut Crusted Local Mahi Mahi & Misoyaki Marinated Butterfish 40

his-
Hawaii2012KandAulani383.jpg

mine-
Hawaii2012KandAulani382.jpg

It was good, and I liked tasting the different fish, but- we weren't going crazy over it, sorry. Tyler had RIBEYE & SHRIMP DUO
Sizzling 16 oz. Ribeye & Collossal Shrimp Duo
but it was prepared differently than what I see on the menu now, so to be completely fair, this is a huge guess on my part, and I apologize!.

Hawaii2012KandAulani381.jpg

He was very happy with it. Dessert menus were brought out, and I knew we had to order at least the chocolate souffle, even though we were stuffed.

Hawaii2012KandAulani385.jpg

I think the other dessert we chose was some kind of (one would assume, macadamia, but not sure) nut tart-

Hawaii2012KandAulani384.jpg

And we were wished Happy Anniversary.

:confused3

I guess 26 years of wedded bliss wasn't that impressive to our waiter, lol-

To be honest, he just seemed really, really busy, so maybe that was why our BIG EXPENSIVE anniversary dinner at Roy's was really, really so low key.

Anyway, I would go back, but NOT on a night when there was a Starlit Hui to attend. Because...we got back to Aulani just in time. And...NOT on a Friday, when it is jam packed, in August. Just a thought-

Up next- who's dancin with their Momma?:dancer:

Their menu is HUGE- even their cocktail menu offers so much! I had The Original Hawaiian Martini
In classic Hawaiian fashion, our Maui pineapples are drenched in SKYY Vodka, Stoli Vanil Vodka & Malibu Coconut Rum. Hand shaken to order.

Hawaii2012KandAulani369.jpg

You had me at "Hawaiian Martini". :love:

I just started reading your report, I just got to the part about the North Shore and loved it. My DH and I stayed there for our honeymoon this September at the Turtle Bay Resort... wouldn't ya know we saw NO turtles! I think it was the time of year maybe? We also didn't see many people... it was secluded so it was worth the lack of waves and turtles. :laughing:

It is so fun to see the pics of your time there, I was in all those same areas! The North Shore is definitely a place I recommend anyone to stay at. Turtle Bay is one of two resorts there and it has an ocean view out of every room! We had an amazing time. I'm actually writing a TR about it. :thumbsup2

We didn't do kayaking while we were there but after seeing the pics you took I definitely need to add that to the list of things to do next time!! Awesome TR so far. I am a huge Disney fan and never thought I'd stay anywhere but a Disney hotel but Hawaii has made me broaden my horizens a bit! We did not stay at Aulani but I can see it is an amazing resort! Next time we're in Hawaii we'll be stopping by for some dinner at Ama Ama. popcorn::

I'll have to finish the rest later! Thanks for this awesome report, sounds like you had a great time! :yay:

Great! Did you see our dates changed AGAIN? Now we are going to be in DL 8/21-26. We are hoping for lighter crowds because Cali schools will be back in, and we saved a little $$$ on our Ahwahnee stay in Yosemite (MAN!! That is an expensive hotel! :eek:).

I didn't. I need to put it in my calendar. I know - those National Parks hotels charge and arm and a leg!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter