Getting Sick from Eating?

It's not some super bug that's sweeping the country as many people here seem to think. "You got sick in Florida? OMG, my sister just got sick in Montana!" Come on, people..

People *think* there's a bug that lots of people are getting? Huh. I'll tell myself that when I'm up tonight coughing for an hour to the point of being sick and crying from misery.

I'll also tell my son, who got this before I did.

Now, we haven't been to WDW, but we were at DLR, and the transmission time works out for getting it while there. Probably from some railing where someone from somewhere else had put their germs accidentally.

And then while we weren't yet sick BUT contagious without knowing it (as things work with colds and flus and pretty much every communicable disease out there) we were spreading it ourselves. To people who might not be from around here, who will then get sick at their home in their state, and then spread it to others.

That's kind of how these things spread. From community to community, and state to state b/c not everyone you come into contact with (even by a shared railing, LOL) is from your own community.

I don't find it to be dire; I find it to be part of life, part of being an organism not coated in Teflon or covered in a plastic bubble...but it IS something that happens.

OP, sorry you got sick.

As for the timing of food poisoning, who knows? What I learned in food services health class said one thing; what the owner of a pizza place that we called to make them aware of a problem said, based on the food services class HE took was entirely different. Exactly opposite, actually. Some people say food poisoning starts very quickly, others say there's a delay.

If only we could go to walk-up, no doctor required, labs to give them whatever we feel is needed and ask them to test it for whatever we want them to test it for. Would make things much more scientific, to KNOW what's going on in our bodies, than to rely on "if you have a fever, it's most likely THIS, but if you feel faint it's most likely THAT", etc.

Tropical Wilds said:
Ok, I'm not sure where the attitude is coming from with some people about the topic...

I have a fairly well-traveled blog related to Disney and I'm the staff writer for two highly popular Disney-related travel websites. As such, I know an absolute ton of people who work at Disney, and one of my best friends in the entire world works in Disney's test kitchens. I talk to most, if not all of these people on a regular basis for personal and for work related reasons.

After I returned home from my trip on October 7th, I was horribly, horribly sick with what I thought was a cold, but it developed into a bad cough, which developed into bronchitis. As such, I was away from my work for awhile. While I went through the process of notifying my employers that I was unable to work for a few days, they stated that they'd had a number of staff writers who'd traveled during my same window who became ill with the same cold and/or a stomach bug (something I was asked if I got because I was ill on the first day I was at WDW, but that was regular old nasty Burger King food poisoning). When I cancelled my post-Food and Wine interviews with some Disney CMs, stating I'd gotten really sick, all of them stated that there was a bad respiratory and stomach bug hitting a great deal of the CMs and it was making life miserable for a lot of people who were already stressed with F&W, MNSSHP, the advance tours of the new Fantasyland, and re-training for TT all going at once. My good friend said the same thing independent of the others I'd spoken... She told me that she had to go to the hospital for the same cold everybody else was getting sick with where she worked on property.

It's now to the point where we joke that we all came down with the "Florida Flu."

So... Did I pass the "how come you know this?" test? Do my credentials pan out? Can we set the rudeness aside?

I don't know why people are choosing to be nasty about it... When a bunch of people get sick with the same thing where you work, don't people talk about it? Why would it be any different at Disney? And more importantly, why would it be such a suspicious thing that somebody knows about it? It's hardly intimate, insider information to say that you know a lot of CMs are getting hit with a bad flu and respiratory illness.

As for when the Yeti gets fixed, I have the same theory as everybody else does on the subject, but no solid answer. Though I doubt you were asking to be chatty.

What a bunch of nonsense.. I guess it's a conspiracy?

When I was in Orlando last year I had the most awful flu and this year my DH got something similar towards the end of our holiday.

We just thought we were unlucky. Hoping for no flu next year. Lol

What a bunch of nonsense.. I guess it's a conspiracy?

Obviously. Everybody is lying about getting a cold so that, when somebody mentions it on a forum, I can come here and act like I have Disney-altering, super secret information. Clearly, it could be nothing else. :rotfl:

OP I'm so sorry you got sick. Last year, this same week I remember reading posts about an awful stomach virus that hit Disney. I was terrified as we were leaving in a week. We were lucky and had no problems and saw no sickness.

We leave again in 7 days and are hoping for the best. I have all my Lysol wipes ready to wipe things down.

OP I'm so sorry you got sick. Last year, this same week I remember reading posts about an awful stomach virus that hit Disney. I was terrified as we were leaving in a week. We were lucky and had no problems and saw no sickness.

We leave again in 7 days and are hoping for the best. I have all my Lysol wipes ready to wipe things down.

I remember that one... That actually made the news.

If you become sick from some sort of bad food, you can get feeling better, fairly fast by drinking a glass of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinger in it, cures what ales ya, or you can get apple cider vinger tablets, they will also do the trick. something to remember when eating strange foods. :thumbsup2

A couple of times that it's been yellow for us, we were fairly sure it was food poisoning. Glad you are feeling better!!!! I'll eat beef medium but that's it for me!

If you become sick from some sort of bad food, you can get feeling better, fairly fast by drinking a class of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinger in it, cures what ales ya, or you can get apple cider vinger tablets, they will also do the trick. something to remember when eating strange foods. :thumbsup2

Not to put people off further by the open sharing of knowledge, but for those who suffer from acid reflux or heartburn, this solution will exacerbate the problem as opposed to help it. If you've got an acid issue, which often comes with an illness or food poisoning, an alkaline will be the solution to the problem.

Taking cider vinegar or cider vinegar supplements on an acid stomach will compound your misery to borderline intolerable levels... The best assistance for illness is something neutral or alkaline, like Tums, Rolaids, or better yet, Pepto. If you want to go more natural, taking acidophiles or something like enzymes of papaya or probotic yogurt BEFORE you eat foreign food MAY help.

I used to have stomach issues constantly (hazard of the job), but I have to tell you, daily acidophiles intake made a world of difference. It works the best if you take it regularly for a week or two first.

:O. I want in!!!

It's a super secret club involving secret handshakes with anti-bacterial treated hands, cough suppressants, and tinfoil hats. Only for the weakest of stomach and immune systems. Participate at your will, at the expense of your health and the damage of credibility for all Disney related knowledge. :sick:

Oh no! I hope they this lovely stomach flu is gone by thanksgiving. We all had something similar while visiting last January and it wasn't pretty. It went through our party of 10 like a freight train! Not pretty.

We had the same thing go through our grand gathering of 22 at this time last year. My MIL ended up going to the Dr. when she got home and being told it was probably the norovirus. Luckily for us it only lasted for two days and my one year old did not get it very bad.

Unfortunately for some viruses such as the norovirus hand sanitizer is believed not to be effective in killing it and may actually increase the risk of an outbreak. The best you can do is wash your hands as frequently as possible with soap and water.

That was my third time getting sick at disney with the other two times being colds with some flu like symptoms. We are hoping that our upcoming trip is sick free.

Not to put people off further by the open sharing of knowledge, but for those who suffer from acid reflux or heartburn, this solution will exacerbate the problem as opposed to help it. If you've got an acid issue, which often comes with an illness or food poisoning, an alkaline will be the solution to the problem.

Taking cider vinegar or cider vinegar supplements on an acid stomach will compound your misery to borderline intolerable levels... The best assistance for illness is something neutral or alkaline, like Tums, Rolaids, or better yet, Pepto. If you want to go more natural, taking acidophiles or something like enzymes of papaya or probotic yogurt BEFORE you eat foreign food MAY help.

I used to have stomach issues constantly (hazard of the job), but I have to tell you, daily acidophiles intake made a world of difference. It works the best if you take it regularly for a week or two first.

You are right in one way, wrong in another, it has nothing to do with intolerable tummy levels, the apple cider vineger will make you throw up anything that is causeing the sickness, fairly fast I might add, making you feel much better. try it the next time. :eek:

You are right in one way, wrong in another, it has nothing to do with intolerable tummy levels, the apple cider vineger will make you throw up anything that is causeing the sickness, fairly fast I might add, making you feel much better. try it the next time. :eek:

I think I'm going to pass... Throwing up has rarely made me feel better and the misery and pain of throwing up due to an overly acidy tummy isn't a feeling I'd like to experience intentionally.

Posted this on another thread, but am trying to get answers. I'm intrigued by the talk of a flu bug going around the CM's. Any info would help.

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?

Posted this on another thread, but am trying to get answers. I'm intrigued by the talk of a flu bug going around the CM's. Any info would help.

My wife also got either food poisoning or a bad stomach bug at Disney starting on 11/8. We ate breakfast at Kona, lunch at the BBQ CSR at AK (cant think of the name), and dinner at Narcoossee's. We then spent some time at MK, went back to WL where she used her refill mug for a hot chocolate (it was pretty cold outside that night).

Two hours later, she woke me up vomiting in the bathroom, with severe stomach cramps, and all the other symptoms of food poisoning or stomach flu that I will not get into on these boards. The vomiting and other symptoms lasted the entire night. At 9am, I began to get worried as she was shaking uncontrollably, was apparently dehydrated, and could not keep anything down. I spoke to the front desk manager at WL, who suggested I call 911.

Reedy Creek Paramedics arrived within 10 minutes, took one look at her and said she needed to go to the hospital. They loaded her in an ambulance and took her to Celebration Hospital. At the hospital, they found her BP to be extremely low (dehydration). She was medicated with Zofran for nausea, Bentyl for the severe stomach cramps, given Potassium as it was frighteningly low, and hydrated via IV. The ER doctor felt it was more likely food poisoning but could also have been the flu.

Interestingly, while in the ER, we saw a news segment about Nestle hot chocolate being recalled throughout the US because of salmonella poisoning. I called WL and asked what type of hot chocolate they used in Roaring Forks, and it turned out to be Nestle. So there is a strong possibility this all started from her hot chocolate at Roaring Forks hours before the symptoms started.

Anyone else have a similar experience this week?

Sorry she got sick. That doesn't sound like a pleasant experience at all :(

A couple of years ago, we were going to eat at 'Ohana for breakfast our last day. I woke up a few hours before and felt perfectly fine. When I got on the monorail to head to the Polynesian, I started feeling nauseous but didn't think much of it. When we got to the Polynesian and we waiting to get into our ADR, I kept having to rush to the bathroom because I felt like I was going to vomit but nothing happened. When we finally got into our ADR, I tried their juice that I love but that didn't help any. Finally, I got some soda water and that just made it all worse. I rushed to the bathroom and my mom told the staff and they had the onsite paramedics come and check my vitals (which were low) and I was dehydrated. They took me by ambulance to the hospital where I stayed for a few hours. They gave me something for the nausea which didn't even help me because I fell asleep for a short while and when I woke back up, I was still nauseous. They also gave me some Tylenol and that's about it. They wanted to keep me longer but we had a plane to catch. When I got back home from Disney, I went to the doctor's but she couldn't really verify what caused me to be sick.

The day before, I hit my head really badly while getting up on the Disney transportation bus (one of the buses with an upper level and a low ceiling) and rode on Mission Space. For dinner, we ate at Garden Grill and the fish didn't taste right.

Our DD13 got very bad food poisoning this summer at Capn Cooks at the Poly. We were staying there, grabbed something to eat, and the rest of us were fine so it wasn't the flu.

It seems like the "flu" breaks out around this time year after year at Disney.

I'm a germaphobe so we always wash hands and try to get enough rest and eat good during winter, not just on our after Thanksgiving trek to WDW.

Let's hope that this winter is healthy for all of us!

bluehawaii - If you hit your head really bad, it sounds like you had a concussion. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting...

bluehawaii - If you hit your head really bad, it sounds like you had a concussion. One of the symptoms is nausea and vomiting...

Yes but I didn't have any vomiting and it wasn't until well over 18 hours later I started feeling nauseous. I also ended up getting laryngitis as well so I think it was something else :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!