Getting Sick from Eating?

I got super sick a few years ago after eating at CRT. I was unaware that there was bacon in the potatoes and I haven't eaten meat in over 20 years. I only had a few bites before realizing they tasted off to me. I was in the bathroom the whole next day. It was bad!!!

DH got sick a few years ago. So much so that we ended up having to call an ambulance to take him to Celebration hospital. He was the sickest I have ever seen him. They had to give him IV fluids and we found out it was Rotavirus. They said that he probably got it on the airplane, since he got sick the day after we flew in. On the up side, Celebration hospital is beautiful! :rotfl:

I'm sorry that you are sick and I hope that you feel better soon!!

I didnt think food poisoning appeared that quickly after eating; but I dont know...We were there 10/22-10/27, no sickness for us and I did have the lamb.... LOVED IT..

I hope your trip wasnt too ruined....

We have been dropping like flies at our office; I had it last week with the throwing up part and ended up sleeping on the floor in the bathroom for two nights.

Norovirus is going around really badly right now in many states. My husband and I and 3 of our kids all had it about 3 weeks ago. Started out just my daughter. Then about 2 hours later, I got a phone call that my oldest had it while at a friends. Then my hubs about an hour later and finally myself. My middle son didnt get it until 3 days later and thankfully the baby never did. Symptoms include wretched stomach pains, nausea (with or without vomitting), diarrhea, cold chills, body aches and sometimes a fever. Clears up on its own within 3 days but it is highly contagious. It hits like a ton of bricks. I was probably worse bc I was still up taking care of everyone else while I was sick so it took a bit longer to recover (4 days fully).

At first we thought it was food poisoning as we had been out at a restaurant just the night before and it has some of the same symptoms. Once I got the call that my son was sick too (he had not been with us) I knew it wasn't food poisoning.

Best wishes to all. Fluids, fluids, fluids. Its all you can do or else you will have a horrible dehydration headache.

When DD got Salmonella years ago, they said food poisoning times are different with different bacterias. We try very hard to keep hands from the face because people carry germs unknowingly and knowingly. Many wash hands only before eating when they walk in a restaurant. We wash going in and again after handling menus or sitting down after carrying trays,condiments, etc. I look at all the people using ketchup dispensers, spoons at buffets, etc. and think how many didn't wash their hands or didn't wash them properly. I've seen some just stick their hands under running water for a couple of seconds and dry them. They truly believed they were washing their hands. Some will go because they paid thousands to go and took vacation time and are not going to stay home or in the resort. We've had a lot of nasty bugs in our area already. Many friends are having it run through their families.

On another note, concerning stomach issues, we've learned that I have to drink bottled water when I travel even in the states. There is something about drinking water from areas that I'm not used to that make me sick every time. It took several vacations learning the hard way. It was finally a desk manager that mentioned that I might benefit from drinking only bottled water when traveling even in the states as she was sensitive, also.

I am a huge water drinker so I often times will order water at a restaurant. We ate at a dinner before we left for the vacation (I am from Ontario, Canada but we always fly out of Syracuse, NY because we live so close to the border). My mom had ate there before with some relatives and really enjoyed it so we stopped in. I ordered a glass of water, took a sip, and it was absolutely horrible. My mom tried a sip and suggested I get something else to drink.

When I requested Sprite or 7-Up (the only soda I will actually drink is a lemon based soda (even Sierra Mist), they were all out of those (something to do with their soda fountain or something) and only had Pepsi and Diet Pepsi left (which I hate both). Fortunately, I had a bottled water in my car with me that I brought in and drank from that.

The water was horrible... they should have been able to offer more than Pepsi and Diet Pepsi though or they should have had bottled water for customers.

So how long is this lasting for people?
I think I am getting better - but feeling a little dizzy today

I started with this Sunday morning and just thought it was a reaction to the food at la Hacienda the night before

I had eaten at La Hacienda the week before and had the same issue the following day and had thought it was just a reaction to the extra spicy sauce I had requested

This time though it has been several days so I think the La hacienda thing is just coincidental

So how long is this lasting for people?
I think I am getting better - but feeling a little dizzy today

I started with this Sunday morning and just thought it was a reaction to the food at la Hacienda the night before

I had eaten at La Hacienda the week before and had the same issue the following day and had thought it was just a reaction to the extra spicy sauce I had requested

This time though it has been several days so I think the La hacienda thing is just coincidental

Mine lasted about 2 days. I had nausea within 3 hours the first day. The second day, I just was very weak and tired, had a loss of appetite and still had some nausea, and had diarrhea (yellowish color) so I stayed in and rested the entire day. By the third day, I was feeling much better.

My body was just very weak on the second day. I couldn't even throw a pillow off the bed without getting tired.

Mine lasted about 2 days. I had nausea within 3 hours the first day. The second day, I just was very weak and tired, had a loss of appetite and still had some nausea, and had diarrhea (yellowish color) so I stayed in and rested the entire day. By the third day, I was feeling much better.

My body was just very weak on the second day. I couldn't even throw a pillow off the bed without getting tired.

Ok thanks - I did not have the weakness or the need to rest so much- but I suspect I have had it for several more days do to the long flight home with no sleep and going to work at 5:30 every day this week

Hopefully it is almost over and the rest of my family does not get it

bluehawaii19 said:
I have been coming to Walt Disney World for the last 24 years and have eaten at many of the restaurants on property.

This year, we decided (after becoming APH) to visit in October/November which means we visited the Food & Wine Festival a couple of times. The first, my mom used a snack credit for the baklava and really enjoyed it.

Last night, I bought the Lamb Chop (from Australia) (she charged me instead of using a snack credit). It was good but very rare (which I am not used to). Some of it was more cooked than other parts and one part was so rare it was almost dripping with blood. It was alright and I actually didn't like the mint pesto and potato crunchies topping. After a couple of hours, I ate some of the ravioli from Italy (which was fantastic) but couldn't finish it because I started to get really full. After about 3-4 hours (around the time Illuminations began), I started feeling nauseous to the point I had to keep putting my head down and missed some of the fireworks. I also had a fever

It has been almost 24 hours and thankfully the nausea has subsided (not by a lot though) and there was no vomiting at all. However, I have had diarrhea which was a very pale yellow colour (sorry for the kind of gross info).

My mom came back to the room a few minutes ago and said she talked to a woman who's daughter was also sick (from eating a salad) and had to go to the hospital.

I have a feeling it was the lamb that got me sick but you never know.

The worst part is we are leaving tomorrow. I hate being sick in bed while on vacation :(

Well, we are here right now and my son got violently ill last night. He was fine and all of a sudden he started vomiting and had diahrea for about 6 hours straight. Thank goodness he slept all night and he woke up as good as new.

I was perusing the Disney Food Blog website and was viewing the Food and Wine menus and photos. I came across one someone took of the grilled lamb chop and it looks way more cooked than mine did. It looks like it is possibly medium or maybe rare while mine was bordering on raw.

Also, the lamb had absolutely no flavour whatsover. I had to add salt and pepper to it to even get any taste from it.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/australia-2012-epcot-food-and-wine-festival/

Like I said, I got symptoms around 3 hours after consuming the lamb (the people in my party said they would have returned it (after I ate it of course)) which included nausea, diarrhea, and weakness. It lasted for just over 24 hours and I was fine after that.

Ask your doctor for a perscription for Cipro before you leave on a trip. It will clear up most food related baterial infections. Now with a virus...you are out of luck. It helped me when came back from Cancun this year. And I didn't drink the water. Glad I had it with plenty of Pepto!

I'm a preschool teacher. I was exposed to a stomach virus because so many of my students were sick. Guess what? Wouldn't you know I get the virus on the way down to Disney, and spent the first 3 days sick.

Glad we are not the only ones to get this. I started on Monday and had it through Wednesday. not getting sick anymore but don't feel 100% yet and don't have all of my energy back yet. Wasn't sure if it was a virus or just a reaction to the food but my son came down with it tonight... So virus it is

Literally just got home from our trip. We had to pull over twice for my oldest son to vomit. He started feeling queasy right before we boarded the airplane. I first assumed all of our yummy treats and meals from the week just caught up with him. Now I am worried he has a virus. Guess only time will tell if the rest of us start with it. So far the rest of us feel fine (fingers crossed it stays that way).

We wash our hands frequently and take reasonable steps to avoid touching things that other people may have touched since a lot of viruses are transmitted that way. It is a little distressing but out in public it does help to treat every handle, knob, button and even doors as something that could be contaminated. :(

vacationer1954 said:
We wash our hands frequently and take reasonable steps to avoid touching things that other people may have touched since a lot of viruses are transmitted that way. It is a little distressing but out in public it does help to treat every handle, knob, button and even doors as something that could be contaminated. :(

That's great! We do too... But it still found us!! :-(

That's great! We do too... But it still found us!! :-(

Yes, I wash my hands quite frequently as well, considering how many germs get passed around, people don't wash their hands after going to the restroom, etc. I also carry hand sanitizer around with me when I am unable to wash my hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter