Getting my daughter to bundle up

Aw... actually, I was kind of hoping to make you see the silliness of it all. Share a chuckle. We all know you didn't actually mean you've got hurricane force winds. This is no different than the ribbing another poster got for using "lemur" instead of "lemming", or I got when I mixed up ovaries with cervixes. We all say hilarious things sometimes.

And look, it honestly doesn't matter that much. You've gotten some good parenting advice in this thread. Use it, or don't, as you choose. If you find yourself getting genuinely upset, it may be time to step away from the boards and take a breather.

I do that, on a semi-regular basis!

To be fair, I tend to not think so straight at 3am either.

OP - I hope you see the thread in a better light after some sleep. As Magpie says, teasing is part of the territory when people mistype.

In terms of your questions (which appears to be HOW can I force my child to bundle up, rather than SHOULD I force my child to bundle up), I'm honestly not sure. I'd go the "she has to take the stuff with her/put the jacket on route", but that doesn't work for you. Not sure how to manhandle her into it (and zip it up) other than manhandling her into it and zipping it up. Doesn't help for coming home though (I don't see a teacher being allowed to (or wanting to) do that.

Be careful with this because it seems questioning aspects of another posters stories is against a rule or something. I know it's happened to me and several others here, and I'd certainly hate to see such a thing happen to you.

But the real question is: will you regret this post 47 1/3 days from now????

OOPS, ETA: ;) for good measure.

Well, as for me... at this point I am way past how one wants to 'force' another human being to do anything.
I am peeking in here for the pure entertainment value!!!

Please don't call me a troll because IF you did, I'd be angry.
54287927.jpg

You really hate me this much huh!!?

Good work, I'm now away from this forum for good :'(!

You've posted on two threads (both of which you started) and joined three days ago - why would you think any even knows you, let alone hates you?

But, if you get this upset over things on a message board (that weren't even attacks), you're right, you are probably best leaving it. Enjoy where ever else you find to post.

It's after 3am in your neck of the woods. If this is the only time you can get online, then giving up the forums is probably a very good idea. Turn off the screen and go get some sleep! (And do see a doctor if insomnia is becoming a real issue.)

For the record, no one 'hates' you. Folks are just highly entertained by you.

Either this is your first time on a message board, or you're just playing with us. Since it seems that this board likes to assume it's not the latter, I'll give advice assuming it's the former.

When you ask a question on a discussion boatd such as this, you will get a variety of responses. Some will be sugar-coated, some won't be, and some will find the humor in your post or someone else's. My advice is to lighten up, stop taking everything personally, and have fun. This is one of the tamest boards I've ever been on. If you can't handle this one, discussion boards might not be your thing.

Everyone is different all I can say is offer the jacket and gloves to you daughter

Just because you are cold does not mean she is just means it is q good day to offer her the jacket and gloves

Be careful with this because it seems questioning aspects of another posters stories is against a rule or something. I know it's happened to me and several others here, and I'd certainly hate to see such a thing happen to you.
Damn - I hope my keyboard recovers from all the coffee that just got spewed all over it :rotfl2::rotfl::rotfl2:

As for the OP, I would trust your daughter that she knows her body best. If she gets cold, she can always ask to have her coat zipped. Her body, her decision.

When I would volunteer at my kids' recess, it always amazed me that the adults were shivering, bundled from head to toe and the kids were throwing their coats on the blacktop. The rule was that at 30 degrees and below, first and second graders had to at least bring their coats outside with them. 3-5th had their choice. But if they came later and said they were cold and could they go get their jacket, they had to go to the office and read a book until recess was over. Gave them the power to decide and after being cold, most at least brought their coats with them just in case.

Last edited:
Here's what used to happen in my house:

Me (to 6 year old)Put on your coat, it's snowing outside.
6 year old: I don't want to, I'm not cold.
Me: fine. Just take it with you in case you change your mind.

End of problem. The kid had her coat, if she got cold, she put it on, if she didn't get cold, she didn't put it on.

Of course come fifth grade, I got a call from the teacher at school. "K was outside at recess today, and wouldn't zipper her coat, so she had to sit at the picnic table instead of playing". Me "Was she complaining that she was cold?" Teacher: "No" Me: "so what's the problem, I'm sure that if she was cold, she knows how to zip the zipper, and if she's running around with the kids, she's probably sweating anyway. Don't call me about this again"

Here's what used to happen in my house:

Me (to 6 year old)Put on your coat, it's snowing outside.
6 year old: I don't want to, I'm not cold.
Me: fine. Just take it with you in case you change your mind.

End of problem. The kid had her coat, if she got cold, she put it on, if she didn't get cold, she didn't put it on.

Of course come fifth grade, I got a call from the teacher at school. "K was outside at recess today, and wouldn't zipper her coat, so she had to sit at the picnic table instead of playing". Me "Was she complaining that she was cold?" Teacher: "No" Me: "so what's the problem, I'm sure that if she was cold, she knows how to zip the zipper, and if she's running around with the kids, she's probably sweating anyway. Don't call me about this again"

But, in the teachers defense, if her coat was unzipped in 90mph winds, the violent flapping of the fabric of the coat would be a serious hazard to her and anyone around her. Safety first! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter