Getting around at MCO without a scooter question!

CLR4321

DIS Veteran
Admin, I hope this is ok to ask in this forum. Since it was disability-related for travel to WDW, I figured this would be a good place.
My MIL will be traveling alone, flying from KC to MCO - we are driving and will be picking her up at MCO. KC is really easy to get around in, but of course MCO can be a bit of a walk from the gate to the baggage claim. We will be meeting her at the baggage claim and picking her up curbside. Some airports and airlines have the golf carts that they can transport guests in. Does anyone know if this is a thing at MCO, specifically when flying on Southwest? She might be cramped up from being on the flight and need a ride to baggage claim. We are getting her a scooter to get around when we are there.
TIA!

Thank you! I will give them a call after we book to arrange that. We are meeting my MIL at the checkpoint exit, but we don't want her to feel like she's all alone if she's not feeling up for the walk.

Another question regarding mobility assistance upon arrival at MCO. I know that typically an airport will provide an attendant and wheelchair upon arrival and accompany a passenger to baggage claim area but will an attendant take a passenger all the way over to the Disney Magic Express area. I will be traveling solo and although I plan to have an ECV waiting at resort I will be in need of assistance at the airport.

Another question regarding mobility assistance upon arrival at MCO. I know that typically an airport will provide an attendant and wheelchair upon arrival and accompany a passenger to baggage claim area but will an attendant take a passenger all the way over to the Disney Magic Express area. I will be traveling solo and although I plan to have an ECV waiting at resort I will be in need of assistance at the airport.

I wonder the same thing, and I'll also be solo

In addition to calling Southwest before your flight, when you check in for your flight, make sure the request is noted for MCO. This will ensure that, even though no assistance is needed at your home airport - you will have assistance at MCO. The porter/pusher at MCO should assist you all the way to where ever you need to go. If you need a rest room stop - no problem. If you are heading to baggage claim - they should help you and wait until you have all your luggage and then push you where you need to go.
So - yes - they are supposed to push/assist you to DME. (of course, the longer they stay with us - the better we usually tip)

A note:

I discovered during a trip last year that at some airports if you have airline wheelchair assistance and are collecting checked baggage you are required to use a porter (for which there is a fee, which at the airport I was at was stated up front as a flat fee of IIRC $10). Not using the porter was not an option, and while the pusher was allowed to help with carryon bags they were not allowed to help with checked bags.

Now, at ANOTHER airport I flew to, this was not the case and the pusher (actually, I got two; small airport :-) ) was perfectly allowed to help with checked bags.

I have no idea what MCO's rules are in this regard. BUT, it is something to be aware of and to have some cash on hand "just in case" you end up at one of the first type of airports.

Also:

While the airport may provide the wheelchair assistance service, in the US and Canada it is actually the responsibility of the AIRLINE to ensure it is provided -- they can provide it directly with their own wheelchairs and staff, or in some airports there is an arrangement with the airport where the airport provides the chairs and staff, or contracts it out or whatever. Regardless of the arrangement for whose chair and staff, it ultimately is the airline's responsbility to ensure it happens.

To arrange for it, contact the airline. Advance notice is a good idea and most airlines on their website will specify they prefer at least 48 horus notice. I notify them shortly after making the reservation if I can.

You can specify the legs you will need the assistance for. For example, I am usually fine at my home airport at the start of my trip, but need assistance at connecting airports and probably at the destination airport. Part of it for me depends on the size of the airport, etc.

I have now used assistance for I think 3 trips. Each airport has their own way of doing things, especially for connections (where I discovered you can get handed off from one pusher to another as you travel through the airport). Some are better than others. Some have more delays and waiting than others. I learned that it WILL take longer than just walking would have previously, so I factor that in to considerations for things like connection times, etc.

SW

You can request mobility assistance from Southwest- they will provide a wheelchair and an attendant at the plane.

1) Actually, ANY airline will get you wheelchair at the check-in curb.
2) They will push you around and to your gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter