Get something off your chest here!!!

Round-abouts.
No one knows how to drive or use them.
Oshkosh WI has 4 in one small area.
I am never in the correct lane to exist back to the highway, since you have to change lanes mid turn around in one of the turn abounds. I end up going to the next turn around, doing a full circle to come back to exist onto the highway. Then remember to watch people coming at you, because they have no idea that they need to yield.
Turnarounds is someone's idea of the game Frogger.
I feel your pain! Our town just put in a Diverging Diamond overpass. The residents have a poll going on when the first head-on collision is going to be. For those of you who don't know what it is, when you go over the overpass (over the highway), you switch to the "wrong" side of the road. Then at the end of the overpass, you go back to the "correct" side of the road.
_wsb_392x357_I-44+-+SR+13+DDI.jpg

I'm frustrated that I can't find a job in my field of admin assistant/receptionist anymore. In 2007, I had to leave a job I loved and had been at for just about 7 1/2 years (I was 2 days away from it) b/c the corporate side of the company was closing our location. I did find another job pretty quick, but only had that one for a 1 1/2 before they had to downsize and lay off 8 of us. So in June of 2009 I became a SAHM to our then 7 year old DS. I've had a few temp jobs in 2013 but still needed to be home for DS for another year. I've been a SAHM mom again since then.

Fast forward to spring of this year. DH had two car accidents within two months and totaled both cars. The first one was not his fault, but the second one was. So now he has a fairly new car that has an almost $500 payment per month on top of a 40% increase in our insurance come January if they don't drop us first. By fairly new I mean that it's a 2015 model, but was bought from Enterprise Car Sales (which is part of Enterprise Rent-a-Car). So now I have to get back into the work force so that we have another income coming in to help us.

Here's the problem. My field definition has changed since I was in it last. Now, companies have consolidated responsibilities and have merged them with the administrative assistant. For example: contract proposals and a buyer for purchasing have, in some cases, gone under the umbrella of the admin assistant (from what I've recently seen on at least two companies hiring). In the company I worked in for 7 1/2 years, those were two different departments. Companies now are looking for, and in some cases, requiring a BS degree. This is a field that never required a degree before and now all of a sudden does. It's very frustrating. I have over 10 years experience and b/c I don't have a BS degree and the fact that I've been out of the work force for so long, no one wants to even touch me. On top of that, even the temp agencies do not have anything for me either!

Last edited:
I feel your pain! Our town just put in a Diverging Diamond overpass. The residents have a poll going on when the first head-on collision is going to be. For those of you who don't know what it is, when you go over the overpass (over the highway), you switch to the "wrong" side of the road. Then at the end of the overpass, you go back to the "correct" side of the road.
Who thinks this stuff up? I am dizzy kust looking at it,

I'm frustrated that I can't find a job in my field of admin assistant/receptionist anymore. In 2007, I had to leave a job I loved and had been at for just about 7 1/2 years (I was 2 days away from it) b/c the corporate side of the company was closing our location. I did find another job pretty quick, but only had that one for a 1 1/2 before they had to downsize and lay off 8 of us. So in June of 2009 I became a SAHM to our then 7 year old DS. I've had a few temp jobs in 2013 but still needed to be home for DS for another year. I've been a SAHM mom again since then.

Fast forward to spring of this year. DH had two car accidents within two months and totaled both cars. The first one was not his fault, but the second one was. So now he has a fairly new car that has an almost $500 payment per month on top of a 40% increase in our insurance come January if they don't drop us first. By fairly new I mean that it's a 2015 model, but was bought from Enterprise Car Sales (which is part of Enterprise Rent-a-Car). So now I have to get back into the work force so that we have another income coming in to help us.

Here's the problem. My field definition has changed since I was in it last. Now, companies have consolidated responsibilities and have merged them with the administrative assistant. For example: contract proposals and a buyer for purchasing have, in some cases, gone under the umbrella of the admin assistant. In the company I worked in for 7 1/2 years, those were two different departments. Companies now are looking for and in some cases requiring a BS degree. This is a field that never required a degree before and now all of a sudden does. It's very frustrating. I have over 10 years experience and b/c I don't have a BS degree and the fact that I've been out of the work force for so long, no one wants to even touch me. On top of that, even the temp agencies do not have anything for me either!
:grouphug: So sorry to hear that. I hope you find the perfect job soon! The job market does seem to be recovering, but I agree that the jobs are completely different now. A friend of mine was laid off after years of being a Para Professional at a school because she did not have a degree. Teacher's assistant was typically a job that you could hold without a degree. Now the basic requirement is a teaching degree or something related like a BA in psych or sociology. It is really putting those good people with lots of experience at a disadvantage.

Who thinks this stuff up? I am dizzy kust looking at it,
The whackadoodle engineers claim that it increases traffic flow because you never have to cross the overpass to get on the highway. Funny thing though, the intersection used to be a cloverleaf, so you never did have to stop at a light and cross the overpass to get on the highway.

In theory, this may be an excellent idea. How is it working in real life?

OK, I see that it isn't fully functional yet. Time will tell.

YIKES, that would make me feel very nervous! Especially in the center where they are overlapping! Are there any signs there about yielding? Just by looking at that picture, the set-up looks like an accident waiting to happen.

I need this. Why can't people just answer a simple question via email? I sent you an email, requesting basically a yes or no answer. This does not require a phone discussion, nor a meeting. Just answer the freakin question. It's yes. Or no

Oh my goodness, THIS, soooo THIS...I hate when people do that!!!!

:jumping1:
That's a good thing, right? I remember when you posted that your schools were changing the start date to before labor day and that it was going to mess up people's vacations.
Glad to hear the powers to be actually listened to you teachers and parents and changed it back. Congrats! :cool1: I am jealous, ours go back on the 12th. I am not ready, I want more summer!! That would be my getting off the chest, summer vacation is way, way too short. We get out early, third week of May and go back mid-August. It is still cool and rainy when the kids get out and hot as hades when they go back. I would love school to start later and end later so we could enjoy the long, languishing hot days of August.
yes it is good news every parent and teacher went to the final vote at the school board meeting to get it changed to after labor day.

Yes the rules DO apply to you. I didn't see your name as an exemption in any law:confused3

I am so tired of the " you don't mean me" attitudes.

yes it is good news every parent and teacher went to the final vote at the school board meeting to get it changed to after labor day.

So what did you lose in exchange? Your kids go to the same district where you work, I guess?

we don't go back till September 8th, so we have over a month of summer vacation left

That's when I thought our district would be starting. We've always started after Labor Day. Nope. Not this year. This year we are starting September 3 :eek:. The district officially ends the new school year on June 24, but DS will most likely be done by June 21 or 22. It will depend on when he is done with his Middle school finals.

We have one of these by the Mall of America. Hated it at first - but it has grown on me..

My rant?

DINING!!!!!! NOT DINNING!

Makes my eyes hurt.

In theory, this may be an excellent idea. How is it working in real life?

OK, I see that it isn't fully functional yet. Time will tell.
It is not fully functional yet. We have another couple of weeks. We will see. It was just such a waste of taxpayer money because the old overpass was working just fine. It is a rather small town with a small commercial footprint and without a lot of traffic. It is not like they needed a state of the art overpass. The town council just thought it would make them "relevant" and they could brag on their foresight.

Good for you, your fellow teachers and the parents. Did the rest of NY also change back? If I recall correctly, you said it was much of NY that was changing the start dates due to some kind of testing.

I would love to start after Labor Day!!! It doesn't help that I grew up in an area where schools never started before Labor Day. But unfortunately, our school board wants the high school first semester finished before Winter Break, so we have to start mid-August to get that accomplished.

:grouphug: So sorry to hear that. I hope you find the perfect job soon! The job market does seem to be recovering, but I agree that the jobs are completely different now. A friend of mine was laid off after years of being a Para Professional at a school because she did not have a degree. Teacher's assistant was typically a job that you could hold without a degree. Now the basic requirement is a teaching degree or something related like a BA in psych or sociology. It is really putting those good people with lots of experience at a disadvantage.

Unfortunately, it is :( On the bright side, I did have one interview with a local church looking for a part time secretary (which I found online). They were going to be making a decision yesterday. But that required me doing something different. I hand delivered my resume to the pastor of that church and spoke with him a little bit. A few days later, I was called in for an interview.

All of the jobs that are out there online require you to submit your resume and/or cover letter online. You don't get a chance to talk to someone to let them know you have been a SAHM looking to get back into the work force. It feels like they take a look at the resume and if they don't see a degree listed, it doesn't get another glance. Regardless of how much experience you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter