• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Germanwings Plane Crash - French Alps

I've been reading over at flyertalk about it. I thought maybe co-pilot happened to have heart attack and knocked the controls over.
Doesn't seem possible as the side yolk is on the side of the plane. Not to mention most planes have emergency access codes to get into the cockpit. The thing is, the people in the pilot can deny this code. ONly way they couldn't get in.

I've flown a lot since 9/11 and what happens on US airlines is if the pilot comes out to use the rest room, one of the flight attendants go in. So there is never one person in there alone.

What good would that do though if the co-pilot bonks the attendant on the head? Co-pilot can still send the plane to its quick death.

What good would that do though if the co-pilot bonks the attendant on the head? Co-pilot can still send the plane to its quick death.

thats assuming it was a suicide... but many ask, why such a slow decent? if u want to commit suicide, go uber fast decent, not some slow decent
honestly, suicide seems the most plausible right now...

I read somewhere that people with more knowledge than I think the plane's windshield possibly cracked?

I am perplexed by the pilot being locked out of the cockpit, though...

I read somewhere that people with more knowledge than I think the plane's windshield possibly cracked?

Not that it can bring any of the victims back, but I hope it can be determined definitively what happened and proves not to be a sinister cause.

There certainly have been a string of very unexplained crashes over the past year or so. I guess the best we can hope is that they lead to some new knowledge that brings greater safety.

They are discounting depressurization because they hear knocking and banging on the cockpit door. You need to be able to breathe to do that. Seems deliberate. And they can hear breathing in the cockpit till the moment of impact.

The fact that people were conscious and aware as that plane descended for many minutes is just horrifying.

Off topic I find it funny. They are using every other word they can so they don't have to say the pilot was in the restroom LOL

When I worked for the air lines I recall a term of 'tombstone technology', which means new innovations put into place after too many deaths. I would hope that something can be done to prevent this from happening again, if indeed the co-pilot locked him out on purpose. However, if something was blocking the door, not sure how that could be prevented. But lord have mercy....this was just too awful...

This is such a shocking press conference. Truly unthinkable acts are being alleged.

Not sure what could be done to prevent this in the future. A suicidal maniac bent on destruction is hard to stop. Really hard.

The codes to the cockpit door were put in place to prevent a suicidal passenger from entering the cockpit. I don't think anyone ever thought about a suicidal pilot or co-pilot keeping others OUT.

Did you listen to the press conference? They are discussing what is actually heard on the tape.
My thoughts and prayers are with the passengers and the other pilot who struggled unsuccessfully to get back into the cockpit.

Did you listen to the press conference? They are discussing what is actually heard on the tape.
My thoughts and prayers are with the passengers and the other pilot who struggled unsuccessfully to get back into the cockpit.

No, what I watched didin't have a new conference. All they said was they heard normal converstaion between the pilots. One pilot left and then there was just breathing.

Not sure what could be done to prevent this in the future. A suicidal maniac bent on destruction is hard to stop. Really hard.

The codes to the cockpit door were put in place to prevent a suicidal passenger from entering the cockpit. I don't think anyone ever thought about a suicidal pilot or co-pilot keeping others OUT.
I am sure it was thought of (among others things, i has happened before) but I guess the odds of that happening are slimmer than the odds of outsiders breaking in.

I am a bit surprised that the "rule of three" is not universal--for some reason i thought it was. Though I doubt it would make much difference, and cockpits are pretty small so I think the exiting pilot would need to move out before the replacement crew member moved in, which would still allow someone hell bent on locking themselves in to slam and lock a door quickly in the interim I suppose (or overtake the flight attendant while locked in the cockpit, etc.

There is simply no way to make things 100% terror proof.

can someone do a summary of what was said!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter