• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Germanwings Plane Crash - French Alps

I worked as a flight attendant for a Lufthansa group airline for 13 years on the Airbus 320 fleet as well as longhaul planes. On all of our planes there were fire axes in the cockpit as well as the cabin. The philosphy behind it was that a fire has to be attacked immediately without having to run to the cockpit first and as it is a fire axe not a regular one (therefore not sharp), the danger of having it in the cabin is significantly lower than the importance it could play in a fire fight.

The first quoted post above explains what was likely on the A320.

And the discussion about what Lufthansa said? From what I'm reading on other flying boards, its likely word parsing. They didn't say only ax. They just admit to one being in the cockpit.
And at this point, I'm not sure I'd take anything that Lufthansa is saying as the gospel be all end truth. They did say the co-pilot was fit to fly early on. We now know that they knew better, even then. Sad.

Last edited:
The first quoted post above explains what was likely on the A320.

And the discussion about what Lufthansa said? From what I'm reading on other flying boards, its likely word parsing. They didn't say only ax. They just admit to one being in the cockpit.
And at this point, I'm not sure I'd take anything that Lufthansa is saying as the gospel be all end truth. They did say the co-pilot was fit to fly early on. We now know that they knew better, even then. Sad.

Are you saying then, that the pilot's mental health issues in 2009 (which is what Lufthansa knew about, NOT the more recent medical issues, which we still don't know details about) disqualified him FOREVER from being a pilot?

I guess I disagree with that. It's precisely this kind of thinking that makes people unwilling to admit to having mental health issues...sort of like being branded with a scarlet letter for the rest of your life.

What other jobs would they be disqualified from performing (for life?). Police? Firefighter? Bus driver? Over the road trucker? Cab driver? Teacher? Physician? The list is potentially endless, isn't it?

Are you saying then, that the pilot's mental health issues in 2009 (which is what Lufthansa knew about, NOT the more recent medical issues, which we still don't know details about) disqualified him FOREVER from being a pilot?

I guess I disagree with that. It's precisely this kind of thinking that makes people unwilling to admit to having mental health issues...sort of like being branded with a scarlet letter for the rest of your life.

What other jobs would they be disqualified from performing (for life?). Police? Firefighter? Bus driver? Over the road trucker? Cab driver? Teacher? Physician? The list is potentially endless, isn't it?

Huh? Wow. I said nothing of the sort. Where did you get that idea?

I said: And at this point, I'm not sure I'd take anything that Lufthansa is saying as the gospel be all end truth. They did say the co-pilot was fit to fly early on. We now know that they knew better, even then. Sad.

Yes, you can put me on record as being shocked that Lufthansa deliberately lied from very early on in the investigation. I believe it's extremely important that the airline is TRUTHFUL about anything and everything they knew. There are 150 dead people. The dead and their loved ones deserve the truth. I made no judgments about whether their pilot should fly or not. I can't possibly know what his actual diagnosis is, or was. I have no independent information on what his mental health status was between 2009 and 2015. Should he have been monitored every 6 month or yearly? It's done for many medical conditions with pilots. Should that step have been taken? Fit to fly? Grounded? I will leave that judgment to the accident investigation board, the prosecutors, and the airline.

Last edited:

But he WAS fit to fly when he got his pilot's license. There is NO evidence to the contrary. So, I don't get why you think Lufthansa was misleading? Unless you are saying that his diagnosis in 2009 (when he took a lengthy break from his training) made him "unfit to fly" WHEN he came back to complete his pilots training (IIRC, his break was 9 months, he went back, completed training, and THEN became a pilot....so a period of time AFTER his diagnosis and AFTER his treatment).

Maybe I'm just confused.

You indicate that Lufthansa wasn't "truthful" about him being "fit to fly." (or in your words "they knew better," which certainly implies that he WASN'T fit to fly.) What did they "lie" about? I don't know why you reach that conclusion unless it was because he, at one time, had mental health treatment. Shrug.

They are saying that they found a passanger cell phone and video of what went down right before the crash it being held by a tabloid. If it does exsit I hope it NEVER sees the light of day.

They are saying that they found a passanger cell phone and video of what went down right before the crash it being held by a tabloid. If it does exsit I hope it NEVER sees the light of day.

The tabloid that claims a video exists is the same one cited above about a crowbar. Like I've said previously, I'd appreciate the media just reporting facts they've verified and clearly identify anything else as opinion or rumor/speculation. The victims deserve the truth be known, as do their loved ones and the flying pubic.

The tabloid that claims a video exists is the same one cited above about a crowbar. Like I've said previously, I'd appreciate the media just reporting facts they've verified and clearly identify anything else as opinion or rumor/speculation. The victims deserve the truth be known, as do their loved ones and the flying pubic.

I didn't see it posted above. 100% agree with you about everything needs verified before it's reported.

Why is that so funny? She makes a very valid point.

She doesn't actually. If a 250lb flight attendant was in the cockpit with a 100lb female pilot and he noticed she was trying to sabotage the plane, 1 swat and she would be flat as a pancake. Get real.

She doesn't actually. If a 250lb flight attendant was in the cockpit with a 100lb female pilot and he noticed she was trying to sabotage the plane, 1 swat and she would be flat as a pancake. Get real.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't 250-pounds be a bit large for a flight attendant of any gender?

As I stated earlier, regardless of relative size, a pilot seated in that tiny space in the cockpit is always at a disadvantage against a person standing at the door behind him/her.

No I think you need to get real!

With everything that would be happening at the time - a person with a purpose is capable of almost anything.
My daughter has a Girlfriend that I doubt weighs 100 lbs. she's a 3rd degree blackbelt ame I don't doubt she could take down a 300 lb man - or woman!

This sums it up perfectly.

http://www.freerangekids.com/what-a-suicidal-pilot-can-teach-us-about-trying-to-predict-all-risk/

"After every tragedy that involves numerous casualties has been analyzed from every conceivable angle; after it has been Monday morning quarterbacked to death by the 24 hours news cycle, a mantra is born. It is always the same question, over and over again. Whether it’s a school shooting or the crash of an airliner, the chant has become: How can we keep this exact circumstance from happening again?

The truth is; it is only possible in retrospect….

The litigious society we live in now sees negligence at every turn, demanding that somehow, someone should have seen it coming. Every tragedy is boiled down to a mere lack of vigilance, the implication being, if somehow we could “increase” our vigilance enough, fate would be assuaged and safety assured."

"Risk management is an oxymoron.

This is dangerous and superstitious thinking. The scary truth is, we can’t foresee or prevent every calamity, no matter how cautious, no matter how many rules, regulations and government security organizations we create. Our anger and our pain drive us to demand that some “one” or some “thing” be held accountable. We demand action for the future, because in our arrogance we presume that it will tip the scales in our favor."

http://southgeek.blogspot.com/2015/03/shouldawouldacoulda.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter