• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gay characters (and couples) in Disney shows and movies

I was pointing out your hypocrisy, I know nothing abut your religion.
If my religious beliefs dictate that homosexuality is wrong, and you believe my beliefs are bigoted that makes you, yourself, a bigot.

Didn't you first say homosexual sex? And now you're changing your stance to homosexuality? They're not necessarily the same; you can be emotionally and physically attracted to someone (or a gender) without intercourse. It's nobody's business who's sleeping with whom, and it's nobody's business who's attracted to whom.

I haven't read the responses yet, but I think this belongs on the Gay & Lesbian board. From past experience with posts regarding homosexual issues, you will not find many willing to say they are opposed to it so why not put it on the board where it is supposed to get support?:confused3

I haven't read the responses yet, but I think this belongs on the Gay & Lesbian board. From past experience with posts regarding homosexual issues, you will not find many willing to say they are opposed to it so why not put it on the board where it is supposed to get support?:confused3

Maybe you should read the thread first, seems like many folks (even conservatives) support LGBTs these days.

I think that a set of gay parents in a Disney animated film could theoretically happen, but honestly, the only way that anyone would know is if the child referred to both parents as Dad. You don't see parents go off to bed together or kiss in an obviously romantic way in almost any animated films meant for children -- the only two that I can think of are the Lion King (Mufasa and Serabi wake up in the cave -- in that really strangely monogamous pride of lions. :rolleyes:), and I think that the one human couple that we see in that situation is in Lady & the Tramp, at the very beginning when Jim Dear tries to kick Lady off the bed (and that's an odd one, too, because in that era with a family with that much wealth, the odds are they would have had separate bedrooms -- AND household help!)

The thing is, Disney animated films are meant for young children, kids who are so young that sexuality is not really something that has meshed in their minds yet. We all know 4 y.o. boys who like trying on high heels and wearing wings, and who grow up to be flaming heterosexuals anyway. (And no, I'm not saying orientation isn't present at that age; just that healthy pre-pubescent kids are not thinking about sex -- the average 4 year old doesn't know what sex is, and if you explained it in detail would be disgusted.) Healthy young kids think of "love" in terms of hugs and holding hands and kisses on the cheek. They don't think twice about dancing with anyone who happens to be dancing, or holding hands with or hugging a friend of any gender, unless some uptight adult tells them that they shouldn't. They don't automatically see two people sleeping in the same bed and think "romantic partners" -- they think sleepover. Now, besides that, how many nuclear families are there in Disney animated films in any case? Very few, because nuclear families don't make for very dramatic stories unless they happen to be superheroes. Having only one parent around makes life much simpler for the writer in the world of family-oriented drama.

As to the Prince/Prince thing -- sorry, that one makes no sense, assuming that you want them to have a legally sanctioned monogamous relationship. Royal marriages are by definition dynastic, so unless the person was so far down the order of succession that they really don't live that "castle" lifestyle, any marriage that they made would require legitimate heirs of the body, which wasn't exactly possible for a gay couple in the 18th century, or even in the 1920's. There have been PLENTY of real princes in history who preferred men, but they either didn't marry at all and left the succession to a younger sibling, or had those relationships on the side, because the whole point of marriage in that mileu is the production of heirs. A prince who wanted a same-sex long term relationship and was unwilling to make a dynastic marriage of convenience wouldn't be looking for another prince, because that prince would be in the same boat. He would be looking at someone who didn't also have a succession issue to worry about. So, unless you are advocating that an animated children's film with a historical setting get into the logistics of how to have sex on the side, I'm thinking that it really isn't workable as a plot in this context.

Now then, we all know that Disney doesn't just make animated films. I think that you will definitely soon see openly gay characters in live-action films that are meant for an older audience, but you won't see them released by Walt Disney Pictures or Pixar. Disney segregates their production companies by target market, and these days WDP productions are firmly in the 7-and-under marketplace. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Princess Mia has a third cousin who is living happily ever after with a same-sex partner. :)

Why would it need to be there? Can't straight people have a discussion and opinions regarding this? Aside from a few snarky posts it's been a very civil conversation.

As far as a Disney animated movie with gay parents... first, Disney would need to make an animated movie where both parents are alive. ;)

Speaking of gay lifestyle, do you want to know what mine consisted of today:

5:00 AM - To the gym for a run
6:00 AM - Shower at home
6:30 AM - Partner gets up takes a shower
7:00 AM - Feed dog
7:20 AM - Walk dog
7:40 AM - Leave for work
8:00 AM - Get to work and start reading e-mails
12:00 PM - Microwave some left over Indian food from Saturday night
1:20 PM - Read DIS and just shake my head

The rest of the day is to come, but it really is such a gay lifestyle isn't it. Cannot wait for more digressions from the straight lifestyle later.

Wake up people, people are gay, no one chooses it, it's part of who you are. You can try to hide it, you can try to ignore it, but it doesn't magically go away. There is no lifestyle, it's just life!

To those who choose to raise your kids in a shelter, I feel sorry for them, not because everything in life needs to be explained to them when they are 2, but the more you shelter them from the life around them, the more they are going to struggle with the life they are going to live.

Disney gay characters:

Sebastian in Little Mermaid
ZaZsu in Lion King
Jafar (and maybe Iago) in Aladdin (But NOT as a couple....hehehe)

And quite possibly those two old gentlemen dogs in Lady and the Tramp (Jaques and Trusty?)

Maybe Cruella de Ville??

Odds would say at least one of the 7 dwarves....(I'm thinking Doc)
Don't think so with Jacques and Trusty...but how about the chef in The Little Mermaid? And Gaston's friend in Beauty and The Beast whose name I can't think of to save my life right now?

Speaking of gay lifestyle, do you want to know what mine consisted of today:

5:00 AM - To the gym for a run
6:00 AM - Shower at home
6:30 AM - Partner gets up takes a shower
7:00 AM - Feed dog
7:20 AM - Walk dog
7:40 AM - Leave for work
8:00 AM - Get to work and start reading e-mails
12:00 PM - Microwave some left over Indian food from Saturday night
1:20 PM - Read DIS and just shake my head

The rest of the day is to come, but it really is such a gay lifestyle isn't it. Cannot wait for more digressions from the straight lifestyle later.

Wake up people, people are gay, no one chooses it, it's part of who you are. You can try to hide it, you can try to ignore it, but it doesn't magically go away. There is no lifestyle, it's just life!

To those who choose to raise your kids in a shelter, I feel sorry for them, not because everything in life needs to be explained to them when they are 2, but the more you shelter them from the life around them, the more they are going to struggle with the life they are going to live.

LOL,
I'm so disappointed Jlewis. With all this talk of "lifestyle" I was hoping it was a bit more exciting than mine. I mean if you insert "feed the kids" in between feeding and walking the dog, it's pretty much my life in a nutshell. ;)

Oh wait, I do get a "yell at the kid for the 5,000th time to knock it off" time slot.

Be still my heart.

I suspect Disney will represent homosexuality in its product about the same way it represents religion. Through the years religious values have been represented in Disney films but very rarely if ever (I can't think of an example now) expressed as such. The "Disney gospel" is always about faith, hope, and pixie dust -and the unstoppable force that is human determination. That could be said to be related to Walt and Roy's upbringing in a home that valued the "Protestant work ethic" if not overt religiosity.

Along that line, I suspect Disney will always choose to bend toward inclusivity (which I think is a very good thing), but not make splashy overt statements about sexuality. Avoiding controversy for the sake of broad public appeal in their corporate DNA.

Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
I haven't read the responses yet, but I think this belongs on the Gay & Lesbian board. From past experience with posts regarding homosexual issues, you will not find many willing to say they are opposed to it so why not put it on the board where it is supposed to get support?

Maybe you should read the thread first, seems like many folks (even conservatives) support LGBTs these days.

Maybe you should re-read my post. I said you will not find many willing to say they are opposed. In other words, even if anybody would be against a Disney movie where there is a prince and a prince, etc. they would not say so on the community board so why bother putting it on here. Whatever.

Maybe you should re-read my post. I said you will not find many willing to say they are opposed. In other words, even if anybody would be against a Disney movie where there is a prince and a prince, etc. they would not say so on the community board so why bother putting it on here. Whatever.

When have you ever known people on the CB to be shy about their views?...No matter how offensive or controversal?:confused3

When have you ever known people on the CB to be shy about their views?...No matter how offensive or controversal?:confused3

:lmao:

We're all shy, retiring violets who never say an unkind word about anyone here on the DIS Community Board! I don't know what you're thinking about! :rotfl2:

Originally Posted by EllenFrasier View Post
I haven't read the responses yet, but I think this belongs on the Gay & Lesbian board. From past experience with posts regarding homosexual issues, you will not find many willing to say they are opposed to it so why not put it on the board where it is supposed to get support?

But putting it on the Gay & Lesbian board people would? I'm failing to see the logic. :confused3

Well, I think a Disney movie with two princes would be a horrible mistake. Disney's biggest audience is little girls, and they wouldn't want to watch that. No pretty dresses! Well, unless the princes happen to also be crossdressers or drag queens...

This.

Well, I think a Disney movie with two princes would be a horrible mistake. Disney's biggest audience is little girls, and they wouldn't want to watch that. No pretty dresses! Well, unless the princes happen to also be crossdressers or drag queens...

I think Jafar was totally gay, and he was just interested in Jasmine as a beard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter