Gay characters (and couples) in Disney shows and movies

Disney gay characters:

Sebastian in Little Mermaid
ZaZsu in Lion King
Jafar (and maybe Iago) in Aladdin (But NOT as a couple....hehehe)

And quite possibly those two old gentlemen dogs in Lady and the Tramp (Jaques and Trusty?)

Maybe Cruella de Ville??

Odds would say at least one of the 7 dwarves....(I'm thinking Doc)

I can't speak to the movie as I've never managed to watch it all the way through, but I did love the book as a child. In the book she's married to a little man who designs her furs who took her name. Knowing the sort of humour Dodie Smith tended to put into her books, I have no doubt that the de Ville's are bearding for each other (and Cruella's getting her furs designed for free in the bargain)!

On the topic of explaining seeing a gay character to a four year old (one where there is a couple portrayed somehow so it is obvious--like maybe one set of dancers in a ball scene is same sex, or maybe some day a princess and a princess but i think that is very far off):

I would wager that the VAST majority of us posters, no matter what religion we are, no matter how we feel about homosexuality, etc can agree that we do not want our daughters getting married at 16. Even more so, we do not want them to marry someone they hardly know but fell in love with at first sight at 16. Yet that is pretty much what every Disney princess movie up to and including Ariel portrays.

Do you feel it necessary to "explain" this to your four year old?:confused3 Or do you just let her enjoy the movie for what it is and not nit pick every little thing in it and make everything into a lesson in morality? Personally, we just watched and enjoyed the movies when they were that age. We deconstruct them now, becuase at 14 that is fun :lmao: but it truly never occurred to me to think that my DD would grow up to marry the fist handsome guy she saw at 16 if I let her watch Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and the Little Mermaid as a preschooler. I don't see how this issue is all that more "dangerous" (to those who do feel being queer is dangerous somehow--an attitude which I frankly cannot really understand to begin with) :confused3

If you can let a child watch a 16 year old marry a virtual stranger without explaining, why can you not do the same if what they are seeing is a same sex couple dancing or holding hands or whatever?

Very well said! Why do people need to "explain"? If you see and a man and woman get married or holding hands, do you "explain" that to your kids? :confused3

I would wager that the VAST majority of us poster, no matter what religion we are, no matter how we feel about homosexuality, etc can agree that we do not want our daughters getting married at 16. Even more so, we do not want them to marry someone they hardly know but fell in love with at first sight at 16. Yet that is pretty much what every Disney princess movie up to and including Ariel portrays.

Do you feel it necessary to "explain" this to your four year old?:confused3 Or do you just let her enjoy the movie for what it is and not nit pick every little thing in it and make everything into a lesson in morality? Personally, we just watched and enjoyed the movies when they were that age. We deconstruct them now, becuase at 14 that is fun :lmao: but it truly never occurred to me to think that my DD would grow up to marry the fist handsome guy she saw at 16 if I let her watch Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and the Little Mermaid as a preschooler. I don't see how this issue is all that more "dangerous" (to those who do feel being queer is dangerous somehow--an attitude which I frankly cannot really understand to begin with) :confused3

I stand by mine as well, uncalled for, I don't think Wikipeda, is a very good source to use as a dictionary LOL

Look at Websters I think you might find a totally different meaning.

wikipedia.gif

So if I believe homosexual sex wrong, and is against my moral standards, and you think that is bigoted... by your own definition, you are bigoted against my religion.
:rolleyes: You. Bigots. :rolleyes:

True, my religion teaches me not to be gay. But my religion also teaches me not to judge them either. My religion tells me to love them, and let God handle the rest. Any sort of action on my part that negatively affects them, would be a sin in my religion.

And as I recall, the majority of people were not upset that Tiana was black, but that the first black princess was not a princess, she was the "princess" family cook.

Wasnt the other frog a prince? From my understanding, Cinderella was a scullery maid first as well. She wasnt born a princess either.

I would not be holding my breath for the first gay princes. I don't feel like explaining homosexual relations to my children before I explain sex to them. Call me old fashioned.

I did, and there was no mention of the act of sex. Im not old fashioned, Im a Christian.

Disney gay characters:

ZaZsu in Lion King

And quite possibly those two old gentlemen dogs in Lady and the Tramp (Jaques and Trusty?)

Maybe Cruella de Ville??

Wrong.

There is absolutely no sexual orientation implied in any of those characters. Sexual orientation isnt even part of the story.

Get real people. Seriously. Youre imagining things

On the topic of explaining seeing a gay character to a four year old (one where there is a couple portrayed somehow so it is obvious--like maybe one set of dancers in a ball scene is same sex, or maybe some day a princess and a princess but i think that is very far off):

I would wager that the VAST majority of us posters, no matter what religion we are, no matter how we feel about homosexuality, etc can agree that we do not want our daughters getting married at 16. Even more so, we do not want them to marry someone they hardly know but fell in love with at first sight at 16. Yet that is pretty much what every Disney princess movie up to and including Ariel portrays.

If you can let a child watch a 16 year old marry a virtual stranger without explaining, why can you not do the same if what they are seeing is a same sex couple dancing or holding hands or whatever?

I've always wondered about the "explain" thing myself-but then I don't have kids of my own, and my only real experience with them is with my goddaughter. With her, if she didn't ask questions, I didn't offer explanations. When she did ask, I tried to make the answers as simple and matter of fact as possible. We were in McDonald's one day when she was about 4 and a VERY pregnant lady waddled by and my Princess asked in her outside voice "How does the baby get out of there? I know there's a baby in there, how does it get out? Do they cut her open??" I went with the easy answer and said "Yes, they do cut her open, in fact, that's how you were born". She was satisfied with that answer and I was thankful that she was a C-Section baby. :lmao:

Do kids really ask when they see 2 men or 2 women holding hands? I always wondered if they even notice in a place like Disney where there is so much else going on around that's more interesting.

And I agree-I would not have wanted my Princess to have married at 16 to a guy she knew for like, 10 minutes. Honestly, I didn't want her to ever expect a Prince to come in and rescue her from the difficulties in her life. I wanted her to figure out how to do that for herself and then meet a man who values her as the person she is-not for how he can feel like a big man by "saving" her. Luckily, like most kids, she enjoyed the Disney movies we watched non-stop for exactly what they were-fun stories with great music and animation. She didn't use them as blueprints for how to live her life.

I've always wondered about the "explain" thing myself-but then I don't have kids of my own, and my only real experience with them is with my goddaughter. With her, if she didn't ask questions, I didn't offer explanations. When she did ask, I tried to make the answers as simple and matter of fact as possible. We were in McDonald's one day when she was about 4 and a VERY pregnant lady waddled by and my Princess asked in her outside voice "How does the baby get out of there? I know there's a baby in there, how does it get out? Do they cut her open??" I went with the easy answer and said "Yes, they do cut her open, in fact, that's how you were born". She was satisfied with that answer and I was thankful that she was a C-Section baby. :lmao:

Do kids really ask when they see 2 men or 2 women holding hands? I always wondered if they even notice in a place like Disney where there is so much else going on around that's more interesting.

And I agree-I would not have wanted my Princess to have married at 16 to a guy she knew for like, 10 minutes. Honestly, I didn't want her to ever expect a Prince to come in and rescue her from the difficulties in her life. I wanted her to figure out how to do that for herself and then meet a man who values her as the person she is-not for how he can feel like a big man by "saving" her. Luckily, like most kids, she enjoyed the Disney movies we watched non-stop for exactly what they were-fun stories with great music and animation. She didn't use them as blueprints for how to live her life.

There were times when my son questioned, and there were times I used things observed as a conversation starter. Of course, I tend to be one of those talk you to death parents. I can find a lesson anywhere. :lmao:

We were in public when he asked about transgenderism. :confused3 (although he didn't call it that) We were out to lunch at the time with my best friend and her daughter...who was barely 4ish at the time. She understood the explanation as well. And the folks listening at the next table commended me for explaining in both an honest and straight forward way. :lmao:

Kids are questioning beings. They're knowledge seekers. Our job as parents/caregivers is to answer their questions when they arise.

What's surprising to me is that parents will censor rather than teach. What happens when these folks are out in public and they see those things they're attempting to shelter their children from? :confused:

I guess we're cut from a differnt cloth here in this house, because if we see something coming on the news or a TV show, we'll require family viewing time. It's a great way to spurn conversation and teach.

To the first: I imagine SOME kids do. Different kids will notice different things; but overall I think it is not common for them to notice or care at really young ages.
Mine never asked, but then again mine were used to seeing both straight and queer couples on a regular basis just with our friends, at church, etc.
What I have noticed with other kids is that starting around age 11-12 other kids would notice and comment on photos we have up in our living room of us with my best friend and his husband and with another couple we are good friends with. While these is no PDA in the photos at all, the guys send off a "couple" vibe, and kids who never noticed the photos for YEARS, will suddenly ask one of my kids if "those guy are brothers or what?" or some such at about the 11/12 age. My DS (and taking her cue from him my DD) just shrugs and says something along the lines of "that's E & J, they're married. They're like my uncles, because they rock and my mom doesn't have any brothers or sisters" and then the kids go off and do something else.
ONE kid recently responded back that they are not allowed to see things with gay people in them, that's why she can't watch Glee (friend of DD, though her brother is best friends with DS). DD just shrugged and said "well I guess you can ask your mom if that is a big enough to deal to not let you and XXX over here, we're not taking down our pictures though." Other than that ONE time no issue has ever been made beyond the basic comments described above. (and the mother of said kids is a friend of mine, has seen the photos and her kids still come here :rotfl:).

As to the second and third bolded sections--I agree entirely with both (oh and I don't want my son thinking women NEED or WANT recuing either--or ending up marrying someone who just wants the whole princess/recued thign anyway:goodvibes).

Disney gay characters:

ZaZsu in Lion King

Maybe Cruella de Ville??

Oh, absolutely--and these where among some of the characters I was thinking of. Disney artist, writers, imagineers have always placed subtle references in their work. And even though the films are for kids, there have always been the double entendre references.

I am always, always confused when people talk about not wanting to explain what gay means to their children. It doesn't need to be a graphic sex talk.

"Some families have two daddies." Pretty easy, I think.

As a personal anecdote, we have several gay family members. I can't remember an age when I didn't know what gay meant. There was never an awkward conversation about it, I was just told "This is Uncle Mike's new boyfriend." I have a sister who is 17 years younger than me, and it is a treat to watch this same process with her. She doesn't think twice about the fact that some of her uncles date women and some date men. Children, in my experience, are very open, so long as they're given the chance.

I don't get it either...You don't have to explain anything different then you would about a straight couple..."These people love eachother so they are married.".....OR....."Susie has 2 mommies/daddies because people who love eachother have kids...like me and Daddy."

They don't have to know about the sexual side of things...they have to know about the pregnancy/birth/adoption either.

I don't get it either...You don't have to explain anything different then you would about a straight couple..."These people love eachother so they are married.".....OR....."Susie has 2 mommies/daddies because people who love eachother have kids...like me and Daddy."

They don't have to know about the sexual side of things...they have to know about the pregnancy/birth/adoption either.

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's not like you have to explain to your child with two heterosexual live-in parents WHY they have a Mommy and Daddy.

Do kids really ask when they see 2 men or 2 women holding hands? I always wondered if they even notice in a place like Disney where there is so much else going on around that's more interesting. And I agree-I would not have wanted my Princess to have married at 16 to a guy she knew for like, 10 minutes. Honestly, I didn't want her to ever expect a Prince to come in and rescue her from the difficulties in her life. I wanted her to figure out how to do that for herself and then meet a man who values her as the person she is-not for how he can feel like a big man by "saving" her. Luckily, like most kids, she enjoyed the Disney movies we watched non-stop for exactly what they were-fun stories with great music and animation. She didn't use them as blueprints for how to live her life.

:thumbsup2

LOL. Mine never did and they were born and raised in the middle of Manhattan.

I'm a firm believer that kids take their cues from their parents. My kids growing up saw men holding hands with other men, men kissing other men (on the bus), women doing the same with women and the opposite gendars doing it all. they took their cues from me and whatever other adults was with them. Since we did not treat it as any big deal, they did not either.

When they finally asked what "gay" meant and we told them, they were actually a bit disappointed. LOL

:thumbsup2

LOL. Mine never did and they were born and raised in the middle of Manhattan.

I'm a firm believer that kids take their cues from their parents. My kids growing up saw men holding hands with other men, men kissing other men (on the bus), women doing the same with women and the opposite gendars doing it all. they took their cues from me and whatever other adults was with them. Since we did not treat it as any big deal, they did not either.

When they finally asked what "gay" meant and we told them, they were actually a bit disappointed. LOL

I wonder what they thought it was! :lmao:

I'm still trying to figure out what this "gay lifestyle" is and how it's different from the "straight lifestyle." I mean come on. There is no such thing as the "gay lifestyle."

Well, based on what I've seen in the media, it's a lot more nicely decorated than my lifestyle is. ;)

And I certainly don't understand how saying "there are many different kinds of families, and that's ok" is hard to explain to a 4 year old. If a tv show talked about a child who was adopted, would you explain that to them? I bet you would. It's just a different kind of family.

I am always, always confused when people talk about not wanting to explain what gay means to their children. It doesn't need to be a graphic sex talk.

"Some families have two daddies." Pretty easy, I think.

Yes, it was very easy. "You know how most girls grow up to like boys and most boys grow up to like girls? Well, some girls like girls, and some boys like boys." Of course, since there were no openly gay Disney characters, our teachable moment came from The Simpsons. :laughing: She found the explanation of IVF a lot more befuddling than the explanation of same sex families. :)

From wikipedia:

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern English refers to persons hostile to those of differing sex, race, ethnicity, religion or spirituality, nationality, language, inter-regional prejudice, gender and sexual orientation, age, homelessness, various medical disorders particularly behavioral disorders and addictive disorders. Forms of bigotry may have a related ideology or world views.

I stand by my verbage.

I stand by mine as well, uncalled for, I don't think Wikipeda, is a very good source to use as a dictionary LOL

Look at Websters I think you might find a totally different meaning.

Totally different? Not at all - merely less explicit and all-encompassing (note the usage of the phrase 'such as' to indicate examples, not all possible categories, of bigotry):

http://i.word.com/idictionary/bigot (despite the URL, this is the Webster's definition :))
Pronunciation: \ˈbi-gət\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, hypocrite, bigot
Date: 1660
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

As a woman I am more concerned with explaining to my kids that while the Disney movies are great. I don't want them to think they are indicative of real life and that they don't need a a prince to rescue them.
Stepmothers are not always evil and that they can be just as happy single as they can with prince or princess charming. I could care less if they add a gay princess or prince to the movie. I have never thought Disney movies were a great tool for teaching values in the first place.
As for all the Christians they need to stay away from Disney to start with it is full of magic and witchcraft. The bible says suffer not a witch to live. I think that is a pretty strong indicator of what "God" would think of Disney movies.

I think it will be awhile before the public doesn't go nuts over a homosexual Disney character.

As for kids, they're naturally curious so if they ask, you tell them the truth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter