Gas stations: Visa?L

Can't say with 100% certainty that ALL Orlando gas stations accept VISA, but haven't had a problem in the past - I use GM-TD VISA.

Most gas stations in Florida accept Visa. However, if you want to pay at the pump, a lot of them now require you to input a zip code. Postal codes will not work. It's a new security procedure. You can still use your credit card but will have to pre-pay inside.

Beth

I just got through a whole fraud ordeal and my bank told me not to use my Visa at gas stations anywhere or "pay at the pump"... in the US or Canada... I'm with Royal Bank.

I just returned from WDW and I was able to use my Royal Bank Visa without any problems at the in park Hess stations, and a Murphy USA / Walmart station. These pumps do not ask for a postal code. I did have problems using a card at a Chevron station where it did ask for a code.

We've never had a problem:) And *always* pre-pay inside.

We always give Visa a call before we leave, and tell them that we're going away, and where.

That way, you don't get the "charge denied, pending communication from cardholder" that my parents received. (They were renting a home privately from owners in the UK, who charged their cc for the rental...and Visa thought that was unusual use:) Mom and dad got a phone call from their customer service center - good service:) )

HTH!
:sunny:

I just got through a whole fraud ordeal and my bank told me not to use my Visa at gas stations anywhere or "pay at the pump"... in the US or Canada... I'm with Royal Bank.

What would be the problem with paying at the pump? I could understand if there's an extra reader put on top of the real reader, but I really don't see that happening.

What would be the problem with paying at the pump? I could understand if there's an extra reader put on top of the real reader, but I really don't see that happening.

There is no liability for the card holder by using paying at the pump.

However, I have read that some crooks will validate credit cards by using "pay at the pump" to ensure they are still useful -- if the pump accepts the card, the thief will then use the card for a higher purchase amount (ie big screen tv, etc). There's no liability for the card holder (besides a minor hassle to get the charge cleared from the account).

NOTE - Using Pay at the Pump does NOT cause any liability problem for the card holder, and is perfectly safe to use (and easy to use). I believe "Pay at the Pump" is safer than prepaying, as no human besides myself will touch the card. It is much more common to have a card "skimmed" when another human is involved, than when only the card holder has exclusive handling of the card.

The previous poster who's bank advised not to use pay at the pump (the poster had previously had fraudulent activity reported on the account) was probably advised not to use "pay at pump" as the credit card may still be on "fraud watch" by the bank. Pay at the pump in this instance, would set off an "alarm bell" (due to the criminal usage of pay at the pump). However, this is would be a unique situation, and far from normal.

The previous poster who's bank advised not to use pay at the pump (the poster had previously had fraudulent activity reported on the account) was probably advised not to use "pay at pump" as the credit card may still be on "fraud watch" by the bank. Pay at the pump in this instance, would set off an "alarm bell" (due to the criminal usage of pay at the pump). However, this is would be a unique situation, and far from normal.

I sucessfully used pay at the pump for years, ever since it first became available. Years. I never had any issue. I've always been super careful, covered my pin, shredded every peice of mail I've gotten...

Then one day, I got a call from the bank, they had cancelled my card. And, they issued a new one... I wasn't on any type of "fraud watch".

I, being quite confused about how this could all happen, asked where the number had been taken from... and how it could have been used, how it could have been compromised so I could avoid it happening again.

They told me to avoid using my Visa or debit at any gas stations inside or "paying at the pump". I may be wrong, but I just thought I'd pass on the information they gave me.

While I wasn't liable and they did eventually "pay" for the other charges that weren't mine, it took a while to sort out. Although they alerted me, and I knew nothing about the fraud, they took all avenues they had available to insure that it wasn't me making the crazy charges and withdrawls... And, I was put through some financial strain since my debit had also been compromised. So, I figure I'll let y'all know... because I wish someone had told me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter