Gas just dropped to $5.09 near me, fluke?

Nuclear energy has zero emissions. It's also one of the safest. Solar is not as green as people think it is. It's also very expensive. The Wind turbines are the ugliest thing out there. I'm not against alternatives but we're very far off...

Nuclear is the way to go...but there's just such a fear factor, which I can't even say isn't partly justified.

It has the cleanest and most environmentally friendly method of delivery (if done right) and the absolute predictability of always available energy levels (like fossil fuels).

When we're serious about moving on from fossil fuels, it will have to be the answer.

As of right now mid day, California electric supply is 65% renewables , wind solar and hydrothermal. Nat gas is 19% , nuclear 10%, oil and coal around 0. So not that far away from green supply.
Can you keep doing that without a bunch of rolling blackouts?

Precipitously? In a few years? I very much doubt it. Maybe in several decades... and even then, I very much doubt it.

Why own a dying business? Sure you can milk it for a few more years but better to be investing in a business that is the next big thing. You can make far more by getting in on the ground floor before the prices go through the roof.

It's $5.09 here and approx 50 cents of that is from state taxes. Thank you, NY (not in "the city")

Nuclear is the way to go...but there's just such a fear factor, which I can't even say isn't partly justified.

It has the cleanest and most environmentally friendly method of delivery (if done right) and the absolute predictability of always available energy levels (like fossil fuels).

When we're serious about moving on from fossil fuels, it will have to be the answer.
We live 40 miles from a nuclear plant. Not concerned at all. We don’t have brownouts. We sell energy to other states. It’s a shame California decommissioned theirs. I know it’s a target in nuclear war, but so is every big city.

The advantage of solar is it produces the most on sunny days. California will export on super hot days
And you are good with ample supply on "most days"? How do you fuel up during a blackout?

And you are good with ample supply on "most days"? How do you fuel up during a blackout?
How do fuel up if you lose power for weeks due to an earthquake or brush fire? Thankfully California doesn’t have hurricanes what a mess that would be.

How do fuel up if you lose power for weeks due to an earthquake or brush fire? Thankfully California doesn’t have hurricanes what a mess that would be.
Mankind doesn’t have much power over natural disasters. The power grid is designed and run by humans and will succeed or fail based on human decisions.

What difference does that make. The sun rises everyday.
Your still on the grid with solar power. You can still have power outages. I think solars great, but I don’t want to depend on electricity to power my car. Business are still going to need generators aren’t they?

I have nothing good to say about California's electric grid. Gas is still $6.29-$6.39 with your card. I am going to suck up the expensive prices and grocery shop in town this week.

Since you own a gas station how are you preparing for the future and more people drive electric vehicles? In the next few years demand will drop precipitously. Are you converting some of your space to charging spots?
The next few years? I don’t think so.

There will be a decrease in demand. But it won’t be rapid. Sure EV new car sales are increasing. To about 3%.

And as far as resale, it’s zero.

So we are looking at millions of regular old cars being sold every year. Then they stay on the road longer then EVs. So we are talking decades.

I will add a charging station or two, depending on incentives and ROI. I won’t do it for appearances though.

Noone has the money to redirect into EV's and people are bathed in so much uncertainty the last thing normal people will do is take on new monthly debt that puts them at risk of not being able to cover necessities. Crummy old cars are the devil normal people know, so they are going to be less inclined to shift to an unknown than ever.

New is a luxury, normal people don't do new in a crisis, that's a rich people thing when they shift for comfort, not survival.

Hopefully prices will keep dropping all over and things will stabilize.

++Came back to say I saw a place that was up to $5.69 now at $5.19 so that a decent drop in a few days time, glad to see it reversing.

Last edited:
Really noticeable drop in weekend traffic on the roads. I am predicting a demand drop, which means prices will follow. Remember two sides to the equation, demand and supply. Dropping demand is just as important, or maybe more important than adding supply

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter