Galveston will they come back

mommy2allgirls

DIS Veteran
Does anyone think that maybe DCL may come back to Galveston in 2015 or 2016? It would make my world if they would but knowing my luck the answer will be no

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

They were losing money hand over fist sailing out of Galveston and slashing prices by half to try to get people onboard.

So much so that they paid a massive fee to break their contract and leave early. I'm sure that didn't make the port officials very happy, nor would they be eager to enter into a contract with them again.

Short answer? Very, very unlikely.

But....Houston just built a new port, and the city has a Texas-themed theme park opening in 2015....so maybe someday?

But....Houston just built a new port, and the city has a Texas-themed theme park opening in 2015....so maybe someday?

The port terminal for "Houston" has been sitting there for at least 2 years, maybe longer. We used to live in nearby Kemah. ;) Would love to cruise from that port, tho. NCL & I believe Princess will have sailings from there next year.

I would doubt it, the amount of promos they had to run here. Also the logistics of flying into one of the most expensive cities for flights and the hassel of getting to the port, and that Galveston isn't the "prettiest" of areas

Princess is sailing out of the Houston port now. Have a friend getting off a cruise today.

While I wish they weren't leaving, I am thrilled with the prices we got on a 7 day cruise this December!

Princess is sailing out of the Houston port now. Have a friend getting off a cruise today.

I was gonna come back to correct myself. DH called on his way home from work today saying there was a cruise ship at the terminal. He often drives the port road to avoid the traffic snarls in Seabrook. :D

I assume that part of the issue Disney had was the Texas laws requiring school attendance or face fines and jail time. When I lived in California we took my stepdaughter (assuming her grades were good) out for vacations and she was given a contract with assignments that needed to be completed. I wouldn't dare take my first grader out now. It's sad that we will not get to take her on some of the trips in Europe and Asia like we planned because our work schedules tend to be opposite of school breaks.

Well I guess the Texas law helps keep Texas students ranked near the top in the nation. Oh wait.... :sad2:

I assume that part of the issue Disney had was the Texas laws requiring school attendance or face fines and jail time. When I lived in California we took my stepdaughter (assuming her grades were good) out for vacations and she was given a contract with assignments that needed to be completed. I wouldn't dare take my first grader out now. It's sad that we will not get to take her on some of the trips in Europe and Asia like we planned because our work schedules tend to be opposite of school breaks.

Well I guess the Texas law helps keep Texas students ranked near the top in the nation. Oh wait.... :sad2:

I live in Texas and have pulled my kids out of school each year for a week. Just pulled them out earlier this year for a Disney Cruise out of Galveston, in fact! I think people who live here are scared of the laws....but really, you have to be absent for 10% of the time in order to get into real trouble. That's 17 days in a school year. I took my kids out for 5 days. We let the school know in advance, and the teachers were very accommodating. We're pulling them out again in January for another Disney Cruise.

I live in Texas and wouldn't chance taking mine out.

A parent not only faces jail time, but may also have to pay the school district back for lost revenue if the child is absent. While some school districts may not care if you take the child out, the district isn't required to give make up work resulting in zeroes for all missed work.

Years ago, my son was ill and we followed the required school policy on illness. We received several letters from the state about repayment, retention, and jail time. Tool scary! We live an hour and a half away from Galveston and missed the Disney cruises for this reason.

mommy2allgirls said:
Does anyone think that maybe DCL may come back to Galveston in 2015 or 2016? It would make my world if they would but knowing my luck the answer will be no

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I was talking to a Disney agent on the phone and she said that they won't come back permanently but they might come back every once in a while to just keep watching for new itineraries :)

My boys attended Texas schools before I pulled them to homeschool in the 7th & 9th grade. Attendance laws and enforcement thereof depends on each individual Independent School District (ISD). Where my boys used to attend pulling them for a week wasn't a big deal. I got the automatic letters when they reached 10 absences for the year but that's not even close to the limit so I really never paid it any mind. I figured if I got hauled into a courtroom there'd be no arguing the well above average grades.

One thing that's gaining popularity with parents in strict ISDs is to pull their students, sign off on the homeschool paperwork, then re-enrolling after they return. This negates the attendance thing. Technically the ISD can make it a PITA when re-enrolling but then that would also create a lot of work for the schools. I'm not saying I agree with or support this practice but I've heard about it quite a bit.

The port terminal for "Houston" has been sitting there for at least 2 years, maybe longer. We used to live in nearby Kemah. ;) Would love to cruise from that port, tho. NCL & I believe Princess will have sailings from there next year.

Princess docked & had her first sailing out of Bayport just the other day.

Maybe DCL will somehow keep an eye on how Princess & NCL do out of Bayport (not that I even know if this can really be done by DCL; wishful thinking though) & if it's positive, maybe they'll come back to sail out of Bayport since it's it's nice & 'new' & such a better terminal set-up for cruise ships.

Had great time, but port of New Orleans is offering to much and has the people already coming. Look for 4 month deal 2015.

Princess docked & had her first sailing out of Bayport just the other day.

Maybe DCL will somehow keep an eye on how Princess & NCL do out of Bayport (not that I even know if this can really be done by DCL; wishful thinking though) & if it's positive, maybe they'll come back to sail out of Bayport since it's it's nice & 'new' & such a better terminal set-up for cruise ships.

Yep! My DH saw the ship at the Bayport terminal on his way home from work on Saturday afternoon. I think part of the problem with that terminal location is that there aren't hotels like riiiiight there by it. But, the location is also a great proximity to JSC and Kemah so....who knows?

I'm totally eyeballing the NCL sailings from there, tho. I mean, that really is our backyard. So simple for us to sail!

My boys attended Texas schools before I pulled them to homeschool in the 7th & 9th grade. Attendance laws and enforcement thereof depends on each individual Independent School District (ISD). Where my boys used to attend pulling them for a week wasn't a big deal. I got the automatic letters when they reached 10 absences for the year but that's not even close to the limit so I really never paid it any mind. I figured if I got hauled into a courtroom there'd be no arguing the well above average grades.

One thing that's gaining popularity with parents in strict ISDs is to pull their students, sign off on the homeschool paperwork, then re-enrolling after they return. This negates the attendance thing. Technically the ISD can make it a PITA when re-enrolling but then that would also create a lot of work for the schools. I'm not saying I agree with or support this practice but I've heard about it quite a bit.

Great points the tx school laws are among the most ridiculous we've ever come across, out district says they will send the letter with potential court hearings after the 6th missed day in 6 weeks. And since the sailings were all scheduled. During the school year it makes it tough for lots of families.

Seeing that dcl attracts more of the family cruising how princess and others do out of Galveston probably isn't a great example.

We are sailing out of Galveston during Thanksgiving week. I am sure the cruises that are over the holidays and spring break last year were almost sold out. It is tough when the majority of sailings are during the school year. My kids are in 7th and 10th grades. I can't imagine the amount of work to make up even if the teachers did give them stuff to work on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter