Gallbladder Support Thread. Leave Your Fatty Food at the Door.

Virgo10

<font color=darkorchid>Really, this year there's n
There seems to be a bunch of us who are anticipating surgery or who have just had surgery on our GB's. How about sharing experiences and ideas? I certainly would appreciate it!

While I've had several surgeries in my life, it's still nothing you ever look forward to or can really just shrug off and say oh well about.

So come on in and chat. Looking forward to hearing from pre and post op DISers. :)

I had mine out a few years ago. Luckily, I was able to have the laparoscopic version of the surgery. I didn't experience any gas pain in the shoulders like some people do. I guess the worst of it for me was the soreness afterwards. It felt like someone had used me as a punching bag. :eek:

It took me two weeks to start feeling normal. However, every day after the surgery was a little better than the day before. Heck, I was out shopping at Sam's Club the day after - moving a little slowly, but moving. I used the shopping cart as my walker. :teeth: Note: I wouldn't advise following my actions here. :crazy:

I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. Its not too bad. I also had an umbilical hernia repaired, now that is what is very sore today. I can't do any lifting for 2 weeks. The pain I feel today is much less than a gallbladder attacks I had. I don't have any of the shoulder pain that some people have when they have the laproscopic type of surgery.

Hugs to you anticipating surgery and to luvmickeymouse....big gentle hugs....no squeezing involved..

I have been there and I am so glad that whole gallbladder thing is behind me..now I just deal with controlling the reflux, which causes pain, but no heartburn....weird..

Take it easy on Thanksgiving....so you get through without any attacks, I will do the same...

Am I going to get gallbladder attacks even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore? I have to be careful what I eat because I don't want that anymore.
We just had Thanksgiving and now I am taking it easy and everyone is cleaning up. I didn't eat much. I hope everything is ok with me.

luvsmickeymouse said:
I just had my gallbladder out yesterday. Its not too bad. I also had an umbilical hernia repaired, now that is what is very sore today. I can't do any lifting for 2 weeks. The pain I feel today is much less than a gallbladder attacks I had. I don't have any of the shoulder pain that some people have when they have the laproscopic type of surgery.

Wow, more gentle hugs to you! Did you have it done as day surgery or spend a night?

Needless to say with only the husband and me, I've skipped the whole TG dinner thing altogether. :( I'm still waiting for approval from insurance so I can go see a surgeon. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my regular doctor submitted a request. It can take up to 3 weeks.

For the most part, I'm feeling OK. I am on a next to no fat diet. It's also severely lacking in calories and vitamins. I'm tired a lot!

I can't wait for this to be over so I can start living life again in a some what more normal fashion.

luvsmickeymouse said:
Am I going to get gallbladder attacks even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore? I have to be careful what I eat because I don't want that anymore.
We just had Thanksgiving and now I am taking it easy and everyone is cleaning up. I didn't eat much. I hope everything is ok with me.

That's a good question. I had two friends who had their GB's out years ago. They both said they could eat almost anything but there were some things that still bothered them and they avoided making them part of their menus. It was quite a while ago but I think at least one of them said food that was deep fried. I also think they said that the pain was no where near a GB attack level, just a gassy feeling.

Someone on the Community Board I think told me that you should wait about 6 weeks before resuming your normal diet. Not sure. I'd call the doctor who did the surgery and ask him. If he doesn't know ask to be put in touch with a dietitian. This is something I want answered as well. The two attacks I had were so bad!!! I don't ever want to go through that again.

I had mine out 10 years ago...I can't believe it has been that long. You absolutely will have continuing symptoms after you've had it removed. It just varies by the person. High fat, high spice foods, or difficult to digest foods are my triggers. I just know that if I eat those things, I have to deal with the consequences.

Wow, more gentle hugs to you! Did you have it done as day surgery or spend a night?

I went home the same day. It really was an easy surgery. The only thing that I can really say, is that every move I make pulls on my stomach which hurts. I think the hernia area hurts more than the gallbladder.

Yes, I have heard both, some people still have attacks and some can eat anything.

I am sticking to the low fat diet that I have been on because I have lost weight and need to lose more. I will have to be careful what I eat.

I am glad that I had it done. I wish I was all healed. I can't do much for the next 2 weeks. I can work though.

Virgo10 I hope you can get back to normal life soon.

Yes the gall bladder attacks were the the worst pain. Worse than surgery.

Virgo10 said:

Needless to say with only the husband and me, I've skipped the whole TG dinner thing altogether. :( I'm still waiting for approval from insurance so I can go see a surgeon. It will be two weeks tomorrow since my regular doctor submitted a request. It can take up to 3 weeks.

For the most part, I'm feeling OK. I am on a next to no fat diet. It's also severely lacking in calories and vitamins. I'm tired a lot!

I can't wait for this to be over so I can start living life again in a some what more normal fashion.

I am too waiting, mine is scheduled Dec 6, I am feeling tired to, have cut back on the intake of food and very little fat. I went shopping yesterday with my best friend and about half way through the day I said we are going to have to cut this short because I am getting tired she said what in the world is wrong with you, I said well I am not able to eat much and I think it is causing me to be run down. She actually acted mad because I was tired.
I came home and was in the bed by 8 slept for 10 hours.

mom+3girls said:
I am too waiting, mine is scheduled Dec 6, I am feeling tired to, have cut back on the intake of food and very little fat. I went shopping yesterday with my best friend and about half way through the day I said we are going to have to cut this short because I am getting tired she said what in the world is wrong with you, I said well I am not able to eat much and I think it is causing me to be run down. She actually acted mad because I was tired.
I came home and was in the bed by 8 slept for 10 hours.

Thanks for telling me that! I've been wondering if the increase in fatigue I've been feeling was all in my head. But it does figure considering my caloric intake each day is probably less than 1500 calories.

I want off this diet so bad! I literally have been eating the same 10 things for the past 7 weeks. :mad: I'm still cooking human food for the husband though and some times it's just hard.

I guess once it's over, adding new foods will be a trial and error experiment. I expect some things to cause discomfort but I'm hoping that it doesn't reach the level of a full blown attack. That's something I want to find out... can you get that type of pain again once the GB is taken out? The fear factor with eating is going to take some getting use to. :(

As for your "friend"... :furious: A little empathy would be nice. ::yes::

I'm really hoping to hear that I've got an appointment with the surgeon this week.

Morning all..

"Am I going to get gallbladder attacks even though I don't have a gallbladder anymore? I have to be careful what I eat because I don't want that anymore."

I wanted to answer this question......my attacks were really reflux attacks, but was diagnosed with gallbladder, I did have stones though in the bile duct.

I probably had a dual thing going on as a week after surgery I was back in the hospital for the same pain. Do not let them tell you it is phantom pain as it was real for me and something I live with. So, in saying that, I know what foods will trigger this kind of GERD reaction, which is pain in the middle of my chest...I try to stay away from them and also stress brings it on for me as well. Amazing that right now I am not having many attacks, but am watching what I eat too. So, you will figure out what irritates your digestive process and stay away from those kinds of foods, with me, it is fried, spicey, too much tomato sauce, and I just avoid them.... I also take 40 mgs of Nexium a day, which my insurance company is no longer going to cover, and now I have to find a new medication for my condition.

Also, this may not happen to you, I did have reflux as well as gallstones....so you may be in the clear and not have any further attacks. You may need to monitor your food for a while, but I would discuss this with my doctor too.

Hugs and take care, get your strength back after the surgery...

Virgo10 said:
Thanks for telling me that! I've been wondering if the increase in fatigue I've been feeling was all in my head. But it does figure considering my caloric intake each day is probably less than 1500 calories.

I want off this diet so bad! I literally have been eating the same 10 things for the past 7 weeks. :mad: I'm still cooking human food for the husband though and some times it's just hard.

I guess once it's over, adding new foods will be a trial and error experiment. I expect some things to cause discomfort but I'm hoping that it doesn't reach the level of a full blown attack. That's something I want to find out... can you get that type of pain again once the GB is taken out? The fear factor with eating is going to take some getting use to. :(

As for your "friend"... :furious: A little empathy would be nice. ::yes::

I'm really hoping to hear that I've got an appointment with the surgeon this week.

Oh it is always about my best friend. If you have been sick she has been sicker, if you have had pain she has been in more pain. She is not the most understanding person. I think she lacks the ability to have empathy for anyone and I kinda feel sorry for her. It is kinda sad.

Hi , reporting in. Surgery was last Tues. , got my sutures removed today. Feel a lot better now. Still some pain in the belly button area but not as much as it was.

How nice to find this!

Ive been battling this for a couple years now. They just can't seem to find anything so they call it a spastic duct.
I had another attack the other night after eating tacos. My Dh was travelling so I didn't feel like doing the whole ER thing.
They told me when it happens go to the ER because there is a better chance of seeing the problem.

What confuses me on the whole thing though is sometimes I can eat a big greasy burger and be fine, but I coud have a slad and it will hurt. I won't have a full blown attack but I get the pain in my side.

It's all so aggravating!

Out of curiosity is it possible to get a tummy tuck at the same time as having your gallbladder removed?

I will be having my surgery on Wed Dec 6, not looking forward to it. But I hope the pain in my stomach ends with this surgery.

My attacks are weird to, I love spicy food that doesn't seem to bother me, but give me any type of beef and I am dying, I have also decided that my gallbladder does not like Italian food, one piece of pizza the other night I was on the couch in horrible pain for several hours. Sometimes mine likes salad and sometimes it doesn't. I would love to have a nice big salad and a nice big juicy steak cooked medium rare. :)

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! I'm going to see a surgeon, also tomorrow.

You're a lot braver than I am. I have been eating the same 9 things for the past 9 weeks. I'm on as close to a no fat diet as you can get. I added carrots last night so now I'm up to 10 things. Whoopee. :rolleyes:

The surgeon's office told me they were booking operations into the beginning of the new year so it looks like I'll be holding on to my GB for at least a few more weeks.

You know, I went on a diet back in April. In 6 months I lost 14 pounds. Then in October I had my first attack and went on this stupid diet. In the past 9 weeks I've lost 17 pounds. :scared1: I should publish this diet for those who want a quick weight loss. :teeth:

Once again... GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! Let us know how you are as soon as you feel up to it.

mom+3girls said:
I will be having my surgery on Wed Dec 6, not looking forward to it. But I hope the pain in my stomach ends with this surgery.

My attacks are weird to, I love spicy food that doesn't seem to bother me, but give me any type of beef and I am dying, I have also decided that my gallbladder does not like Italian food, one piece of pizza the other night I was on the couch in horrible pain for several hours. Sometimes mine likes salad and sometimes it doesn't. I would love to have a nice big salad and a nice big juicy steak cooked medium rare. :)

Weird isn't it? Whenever people talk gallbladder you hear stay away from fats and fried foods. Yet I can eat those one day with no problem but the next time forget it.
Sometimes I can eat something completely bland and wham!
Makes no sense which I suppose is one reason they are having a hard time with me.

Does coffee bother anybody? I drink about 1-2 cups everyday and most of the time I'll develop a pain in the side. Anyone else??

Virgo10 said:
You know, I went on a diet back in April. In 6 months I lost 14 pounds. Then in October I had my first attack and went on this stupid diet. In the past 9 weeks I've lost 17 pounds. :scared1: I should publish this diet for those who want a quick weight loss. :teeth:

QUOTE]

Please do! LOL

I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago when I was 31. I had a gallbladder FULL of stones. Several trips to the ER over the course of 3 years before I finally got told it was my gallbladder. But here is the good news: I had it out and *Poof* no more symptoms. It has been 5 years and I don't have any gallbladder symptoms at all. I have acid reflux but no more gallbladder pain. Thank Goodness. That was worse than labor pain. My surgery went well and I spent one night in the hospital for observation, but I felt good enough that I could have gone shopping ! Sore if I moved certain ways obviously, but nothing more than how a bruise would feel.

Good luck, I will pray for you tomorrow! I hope your surgery goes as well as mine!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter