FYI, passports are taking between 5-6 months right now

The last time I renewed my passport, it took less than a month. Are you paying for expedited?

Wow, that's terrible. I don't doubt that it's true (It took this retired cop 10 months to get Global Entry), but it really doesn't seem right.

I think some governmental agencies are more hiding behind Covid than trying to work through it.
DH and I applied for Global Entry renewal 2 days apart. Mine was processed in 2 weeks but his took around six months. Our passports expire before our next trip at the end of the year. I just flew internationally and sending mine in this week. Hope it makes it on time. I will expedite it but… who knows. This is absurd!!!

DD(18) needed to get a new passport. Because she just turned 18, it's not a renewal and is instead a new application. She got it done at the post office and was told it's taking 5-6 months to get back due to COVID.

I hope that they're just trying to scare people away from applying. I renewed my passport back in May and it only took 4 weeks to get it.

I hope that they're just trying to scare people away from applying. I renewed my passport back in May and it only took 4 weeks to get it.

Unless you're renewing by mail (where it now gets processed in two different places) it may depend on which passport office processes your application and their particular backlog of routine applications. I believe that strictly depends on which passport acceptance facility you use. The last time I was at one (and not a passport office for expedited service with a travel itenerary) I saw the envelope for the applications - sent directly to the San Francisco Passport Agency. And the return address on the envelope was that office.

I applied for mine 12 weeks ago and it still isn't even showing up in the system.
I am beginning to wonder if how busy the specific Passport office you use is the factor. Someone posted this week they got theirs in three weeks, renewal, expedited.

I visit another board/forum frequently and someone there posted the same thing. She actually had to cancel her trip because she's not getting her passport in time. My daughter's expired. Not renewal, need new one because she's 16 now. Plan on getting this done very soon.

Wanted to add that there were quite a few people on the other board/forum I visit who called there local senator and actually got help. They said after contacting their local representative, they received their passport(s) in about 2 weeks.

My passport that I applied for mid-May came in the mail yesterday and they have my birthday wrong!!!!! How did they get that wrong - they had a copy of my birth certificate?????

Oh no! To say I’d be irritated is an understatement. I hope they can fix it quickly. You need to be moved to the head of the line for their mistake.

Thank you @lifesavacation for starting this thread. I knew mine was fine, but it reminded me to check dd’s. It expired. Thankfully, I checked on an afternoon dh was not on the road so we could go in and have dd apply. Yahoo, this was the last time we had to do a minor passport application! I get why it’s a hassle, but it’s still a hassle.

Sent in last Wednesday. Let’s see how long it will take. My guess it went to Chicago if history repeats.

Thank you @lifesavacation for starting this thread. I knew mine was fine, but it reminded me to check dd’s. It expired. Thankfully, I checked on an afternoon dh was not on the road so we could go in and have dd apply. Yahoo, this was the last time we had to do a minor passport application! I get why it’s a hassle, but it’s still a hassle.

Sent in last Wednesday. Let’s see how long it will take. My guess it went to Chicago if history repeats.

Did they tell you how long to expect?

Did they tell you how long to expect?

12-18 weeks. But I do really wonder how long it will truly be because it seems to be all over the place. I think the location your passport goes to is real factor.

We weren't heading anywhere we needed it ASAP. But once the world starts reopening we will be ready to go! I miss travel so much.

I agree -- thanks for this thread.

My daughter's passport expires in January. Her marching band was supposed to march in the London New Year parade on January 1, 2021. When it was first being planned I checked her passport and it's good till January of 2022, so I thought "don't need to worry about that." Of course, the trip got canceled, so it didn't matter anyway. When it was canceled, they said "we're rescheduling it for 2022" but 1) I didn't even think of the passport, and 2) we have not heard a WORD about the trip since then. (No deposits requested, etc.)

But, being optimistic, we went ahead and renewed her passport last week. They also told me 12-18 weeks. Eighteen weeks would get it back to us about 2 weeks before I think they'll leave (if they go), but I hated to pay to expedite since I don't know if they'll actually go. (But I also didn't realize they'd collect her current passport with the application, so now she has no valid passport at all. Argh.) Hopefully it will all work out.

Thought I’d give an update: DD’s passport came in the mail today. That’s around 5 weeks. Not even close to the 5-6 months for a non-expedited passport she was told when she applied. Now we can move on to her global entry renewal.

ETA: It doesn’t have her middle name on it. Is that a mistake? I’ll have to go pull out mine and look.

I applied for mine 12 weeks ago and it still isn't even showing up in the system.

We applied on Oct 12th, and all 3 of ours show as processing. Didn't do expedited. Did do both the card and book.

Lady at the post office working the passport counter said she appreciated I had everything done, in order, (copies, photos, etc), except for having the checks filled out to who they had to go to. :rotfl2: (I think that was the most checks--6--I've written in one month in at least 15 years, maybe longer....I do everything online now!) The lady who had the appointment before me took an hour to do just hers...it took us about 20 minutes for all 3 of us.

Got mine Oct 1; it took almost exactly 4 months.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter