• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Future In-Laws against a Disney Wedding?

I'm in a similar position that my parents can't understand why I want to spend so much money on a wedding, let alone a Disney one. However, they are not paying for it, so it's not their decision. I will be upset if they can't make it, but I also know that I'll be happier having the once-in-a-lifetime wedding of my dreams without them than I would having an average, down to earth wedding in the UK with them. I've also had to come to terms with the fact that my niece probably won't be allowed to come (her mum probably won't let my brother take her out of the country), although I still have my fingers crossed there.
What's most important to me is having my man by my side, being in a place we both adore, with the friends who want to be there rather than feel obligated to!

I say, go with your heart, you'll never please everyone! (A big truth to ALL wedding planning, Disney or not!)

If you and he want a Disney wedding, do it. I didn't have one because my elderly parents said it would be too hard for them to deal with my handicapped brother and a wedding in one trip, and part of me regrets it to this day.

I want to thank everyone for their support. I had forgotten to mention one of the reasons that his family is against the Disney wedding. Of course they do not exactly like the idea of Disney as a whole, but they are also Jewish and worry that it might not be a proper Jewish wedding. This does not really concern my fiance as most of the traditions of a Jewish wedding are out of practice today.

It's a big expense, but I think we will go for it! Probably not for a while since the price increases, but who cares!

This community is so great! :cloud9:

When it comes down to it if you and your fiance agree you want a disney wedding the rest may voice opinions (positive or negative) etc...but in the end they'll either get over it and come (and have a good time especially when you prove them wrong) or they'll be immature and boycott the day. Either way it's on them not you and your groom. My SIL's family gave us grief from beginning to end of the whole process but it was a beautiful wedding and not at all childish or birthday party like. I think it all depends on what you do with theme, decor etc...

You can have a proper Jewish wedding with almost as many traditional elements as you like, given time constraint. Disney planners will help you sort things out and set them up, and I'm pretty sure you can get a rabbi there. I'm Catholic, which means I couldn't have a "real" priest, but that was more due to the Catholic church having certain restrictions than about Disney. I'm pretty sure that if I could have found a priest who would do it, Disney could have fit him in.

I had a Disney wedding due to costs, surprisingly. My mother wanted to do something closer to home, but when she attempted to price it out and started calling around, the figures jumped up to almost the same as Disney. So my parents, who were paying for the whole thing, agreed to do the tour and inquire about costs. The addition of a wedding planner cemented it, and nothing could have been easier or more fun. I asked our officiant to add a LOT of additional elements, and had some family members read passages and the like. Then the day before, my mother apparently told them that she was worried I would pass out due to lack of sleep and asked them to keep things around 30 minutes. I must have asked them to add 10 extra things, and the officiant managed to fulfill all of it in around 35 minutes without it feeling particularly rushed.

Our officiant also told us that he'd been asked to do all kinds of extra stuff, from sand ceremonies to Native American ceremonies, and had fun doing all of them. So I'm sure a Jewish wedding will be no big deal. As for childishness, I think that if they go on the tour with you, they will think otherwise. My parents are quite traditional and were impressed just by the brochures. You can have as few or as many Disney elements as you like, and my wedding ended up simple but classy, which was exactly what I wanted. The only things to show we even had it in Disney were my favors (by choice) and the castle in the background. Oh, and I opted for Mickey confetti at my tables, because why not? XD All my friends loved that confetti.

As Gules mentioned, if you want the wedding to have Jewish elements it can certainly be done. When you meet with a planner and start to organize your wedding they will give you a bunch of tools to organize different components of the wedding including recommended officiants from various religious backgrounds. If you have someone in mind you would like to use that is perfectly fine too, the only thing that will need to be done is to include them in the person count for the ceremony.

Another thing that I wanted to point out is that when you have a date and the funds to put down the deposit, it is recommended to go ahead and make the reservation as you will lock in the current price. If it the price happens to increase afterwards you do not pay the new prices.

The Disney Wedding planners are fantastic at what they do. Regardless of what type of Disney Wedding you have, big or small, Disney does it right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter