Frustrated about "new" cruise meet groups VS "the olden days"

YES! I got my hand slapped recently on a DCL enthusiast page on a social media site for providing a link to another DCL enthusiast site with helpful information. I know the same is true here on the DIS. I assume this is because they're all competing for clicks. Feels petty. This is what I like about the social media cruise meets. We can link to whatever we want in them. Or at least in the few I've participated in.

Petty is the perfect word to describe it.

I think there is something to say for each format. I found here on the dis it was often hard to follow. You would have a post about FE's and then 27 million posts between Janet and Joan about having their children hook up. Then a post about setting up a tasting and 27 million more posts about magnets. Then, when you wanted the information about FE's, you had to go back through tons of pages to try and find it. With FB its a lot easier to keep things organized. Janet and Joan can do their talking in one conversation and the FE's can be in another.
What I liked about dis was it was as anonymous as you wanted it to be where as on FB your information is out their. Its great to feel the excitement everyone has leading up to the cruise however I like to mostly sit in the background and occasionally pop in but its harder outside of the dis.
So you see, in my eyes, each has a plus and a minus.

ETA-I have had good an bad admins in both formats. If the person is pushy than they are going to be pushy here or there.

It's funny, I was just thinking about this very subject. Our last two cruises, we used the "other" social media group to participate in FE. I don't ever post on social media and really just created an account to be able to participate in that larger FE group because the one here seemed to have fizzled out. Well, I joined the online group for our October cruise (it's also the 22nd OP, but it's the Fantasy) on the "other" site and it's just too much. Too many people. Too many issues. The FE groups are huge. The mixology groups are huge. And to be perfectly honest, the times we've done FE through social media, the gifts were nothing more than Oriental Trading trinkets. No personality. No imagination. Nothing worth keeping. And I'm not even sure everyone participated who said they would. This is our sixth Disney cruise in four years and I'm definitely going back to basics. In fact, I'm heading over to my cruise meets group right now to get involved!

YES! I got my hand slapped recently on a DCL enthusiast page on a social media site for providing a link to another DCL enthusiast site with helpful information. I know the same is true here on the DIS. I assume this is because they're all competing for clicks. Feels petty. This is what I like about the social media cruise meets. We can link to whatever we want in them. Or at least in the few I've participated in.

I think she's notorious for that. The admin makes all of the difference. In all honesty, if you get a good one the FB format is much nicer than here.

Petty is the perfect word to describe it.

The difference to me is that the DIS Boards are owned and paid for by a private citizen. He allows it to be free. It's his playground, so to speak, so whoever doesn't like the rules can take their ball and go home.

FB is different in that it's no longer owned by a private citizen, and it's free, BUT FB itself doesn't impose rules like that, the rules that the admins in these groups are imposing are their own decision. I didn't like the admin, (who doesn't pay a cent to FB), so I left the group. I didn't leave FB altogether.

Calling both forums petty for that reason is like comparing oranges to apples.

P.S. I don't feed trolls, so I won't get into an argument or conversation about this. When Pete Werner makes a rule, then I listen to it because I enjoy playing on his playground. :surfweb: :disrocks:

There are a couple of people on FB who start cruise groups as soon as the dates are announced as an attempt to sell their own FE. We've dealt with it before, even going so far as to start a second group one time that got rid of all the drama and left her out. People are people. There are whiners and complainers everywhere. That said, all of our BSM site groups have been fantastic once the control freaks are weeded out.

The difference to me is that the DIS Boards are owned and paid for by a private citizen. He allows it to be free. It's his playground, so to speak, so whoever doesn't like the rules can take their ball and go home.

FB is different in that it's no longer owned by a private citizen, and it's free, BUT FB itself doesn't impose rules like that, the rules that the admins in these groups are imposing are their own decision. I didn't like the admin, (who doesn't pay a cent to FB), so I left the group. I didn't leave FB altogether.

Calling both forums petty for that reason is like comparing oranges to apples.

P.S. I don't feed trolls, so I won't get into an argument or conversation about this. When Pete Werner makes a rule, then I listen to it because I enjoy playing on his playground. :surfweb: :disrocks:

I get that the owner of DIS and the admins of various FB groups can make their own rules. I respect that and follow them but it doesn't mean I don't think some of it is petty.

I get that the owner of DIS and the admins of various FB groups can make their own rules. I respect that and follow them but it doesn't mean I don't think some of it is petty.
100% agree. I'll follow the rules for the forums I visit, but doesn't mean I have to like the rules or don't think they get in the way of better serving the people that visit these communities.

I think its just the luck of the draw, I was in one of those social media groups for our Alaska trip this year and it was an awesome group, in fact we are all still chatting even though the trip is over. Its sad that a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone.

I think its just the luck of the draw, I was in one of those social media groups for our Alaska trip this year and it was an awesome group, in fact we are all still chatting even though the trip is over. Its sad that a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone.

I have BSM cruise groups that are still talking three years later.

Never join a group that does not fully consist of ticketed passengers.

Of course there's NO way to guarantee that.

I know the same is true here on the DIS. I assume this is because they're all competing for clicks.

Eh. IN many ways I trust the Dis on their reasons for banning certain sites. (not in all ways, but in many) I believe that one of the reasons for not allowing links to at least one social media site is because the groups are often run by TAs who are then using the info for marketing. And that info being given wasn't being kept private enough. I don't think it's all about "clicks". I think that there actually is some care behind it, because let's face it, not everyone knows what they are doing online. I have a friend whose mom died last week and the family was TRYING to keep it private. They let *some* people know. Then this one jerk posted about it on my friend's public FB page. And so they all had to "come out" about it BEFORE the whole immediate family was together. My friend and her dad were obviously VERY irritated with that person. They hadn't even checked the page to see if she had said anything (or if her dad had). Or people here who give full names and email addresses?

This is what I like about the social media cruise meets. We can link to whatever we want in them. Or at least in the few I've participated in.

I feel as though you haven't read the thread. :)

I'm on your cruise and am also part of the infamous facebook group ;) I did notice all of the posts about leaving and redirecting here (which appear to have now been deleted;)), but I must have missed the disputes that triggered them.:confused:

Anyway, I too miss the dis meet threads of old - whilst I do belong to facebook, I'm not the biggest fan, and much prefer the dis for my disney cruise discussions! But sadly over the recent years, people seem to haven preferred to branch off onto other social medial, which i personally find a shame :(

I am going to make my way over now to 'our' dis meet page and join you guys too if that's ok? - although I have decided not to participate in a group fish extender this year, (I'm still hanging it outside the room, but will fill it myself for my children - that way they will still be happy and I won't have the stress over getting my gifts sorted - they just might end up with shop bought candies some days - but that's fine!:D)

I'm on your cruise and am also part of the infamous facebook group ;) I did notice all of the posts about leaving and redirecting here (which appear to have now been deleted;)), but I must have missed the disputes that triggered them.:confused:

Anyway, I too miss the dis meet threads of old - whilst I do belong to facebook, I'm not the biggest fan, and much prefer the dis for my disney cruise discussions! But sadly over the recent years, people seem to haven preferred to branch off onto other social medial, which i personally find a shame :(

I am going to make my way over now to 'our' dis meet page and join you guys too if that's ok? - although I have decided not to participate in a group fish extender this year, (I'm still hanging it outside the room, but will fill it myself for my children - that way they will still be happy and I won't have the stress over getting my gifts sorted - they just might end up with shop bought candies some days - but that's fine!:D)

Yay!!!! :yay:

You know, back in the day it wasn't about FE gifts (they weren't "born" yet), it was about talking about the cruise and getting to know your fellow cruisers! I'm so glad that you're joining our thread. See you over there!

Yay!!!! :yay:

You know, back in the day it wasn't about FE gifts (they weren't "born" yet), it was about talking about the cruise and getting to know your fellow cruisers! I'm so glad that you're joining our thread. See you over there!

Totally agree! I have been on a dozen cruises and have always participated in meets and events the group plans. But I have never done the FE thing. I just don't feel like hauling dozens of gifts across country (or the globe) just to receive dozens of trinkets from others. I really don't have the luggage space for all that. :)

Perhaps one reason for having cruise meets and greets on social media platforms is that you can set up closed groups. I think there are some anti-DCL folks hanging out here on the Disboards, who like to argue with other posters. These folks have a harder time getting into the invitation only groups that can be set up on other sites.

First of all, Mods, if this is not OK to be posted here and you need to move or delete it, I apologize.

:mic: Looking back, forming and being a part of a cruise meet group for our 2004, 2006, and 2012 cruises was so much fun here on the DIS boards. :disrocks:

Now, with the increase of popular social media, it seems that most people are going there to make contact with their fellow cruisers. Way less people here on the DIS, sadly. :confused3

Anyway, I am part of the DIS Boards cruise meets, and in fact recently volunteered to start an FE group. So far, it's me and 3 other cabins of 1 family.

I've also joined a cruise meet group on other social media. I'm not sure if ALL of the non-DIS groups are like this, but the group that I'm in feels like it's being run by a dictator. Totally ridiculous, harmless "rules" are being 'strictly enforced'. What the heck?!?!?!? :mad:

My problem? A lot of people are participating in that group so there are a lot of people signed up for FE groups, mixology, etc etc.

I so wish there were more people participating here on the DIS. On past cruises it was always fun to bump into new friends on the ship; to come back to find something in your FE; to share tips, form a feeling of a fun group. That other group is not fostering a fun atmosphere at all.

As I'm tying this, I've decided to leave that other group. I'd rather not be a part of something that's being run by a control freak.

So hey.... if you're on the October 22, 2016 Magic cruise, head on over to the very friendly DIS Boards cruise meets thread! :sunny:

Ok, vent over. :surfweb:

I am currently on the Magic people " choose" other places to post, there was a thread here as well but people know how to " Google" 99 % of cruisers choose elsewhere - not just for the meet up, but general questions and answers and not coming here to ask general say to day questions.

We had say 20/30 or more posts a day. Reason :- access, knowing people personally/ real names, privacy control, - main forum here answered by the same few with their own views that are " defended" strongly. IE first to answer and in their first answer, then for fine reason have to undermine other posters who haven't posted but may have different views or knowledge. This puts people off and they do not return, hence this board is so light on posts.

I am in a Fe group on another social media site and the group is awesome! No dictatorship, no keeping track of who gives what or money amounts. No kicking out of members for mentioning other sites. It's a good group!

That said, I've also joined other Disney cruise themed groups on other media sites and they ARE dictatorship like. One person is in charge and you will be banned for mentioning, linking or saying anything about other sites (including here). I've had a lurker experience there - people contributing to the page seem nice!

It's unfortunate you had such a horrible experience. I hope you are able to find a happier group!

In all fairness, DIS was the one who started giving people infractions for mentioning other sites and didn't want to 'share' the FE. That ultimatum resulted in people having to pick one or the other ---- and in this case, the OTHER kinda won.

In all fairness, DIS was the one who started giving people infractions for mentioning other sites and didn't want to 'share' the FE. That ultimatum resulted in people having to pick one or the other ---- and in this case, the OTHER kinda won.

That's unfortunate and only pushes people away.

#CantWeAllJustGetAlong ???

I like the DIS, and I'm fairly new to the site. But like other social media sites, the DIS is a community, and tool, for research about Disney stuff. and like other sites, there is drama!

There are a couple of people on FB who start cruise groups as soon as the dates are announced as an attempt to sell their own FE. We've dealt with it before, even going so far as to start a second group one time that got rid of all the drama and left her out. People are people. There are whiners and complainers everywhere. That said, all of our BSM site groups have been fantastic once the control freaks are weeded out.

Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by sell their own FE?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter