Frustrated about "new" cruise meet groups VS "the olden days"

SeaSpray

Disney World fan since 1976
First of all, Mods, if this is not OK to be posted here and you need to move or delete it, I apologize.

:mic: Looking back, forming and being a part of a cruise meet group for our 2004, 2006, and 2012 cruises was so much fun here on the DIS boards. :disrocks:

Now, with the increase of popular social media, it seems that most people are going there to make contact with their fellow cruisers. Way less people here on the DIS, sadly. :confused3

Anyway, I am part of the DIS Boards cruise meets, and in fact recently volunteered to start an FE group. So far, it's me and 3 other cabins of 1 family.

I've also joined a cruise meet group on other social media. I'm not sure if ALL of the non-DIS groups are like this, but the group that I'm in feels like it's being run by a dictator. Totally ridiculous, harmless "rules" are being 'strictly enforced'. What the heck?!?!?!? :mad:

My problem? A lot of people are participating in that group so there are a lot of people signed up for FE groups, mixology, etc etc.

I so wish there were more people participating here on the DIS. On past cruises it was always fun to bump into new friends on the ship; to come back to find something in your FE; to share tips, form a feeling of a fun group. That other group is not fostering a fun atmosphere at all.

As I'm tying this, I've decided to leave that other group. I'd rather not be a part of something that's being run by a control freak.

So hey.... if you're on the October 22, 2016 Magic cruise, head on over to the very friendly DIS Boards cruise meets thread! :sunny:

Ok, vent over. :surfweb:

^I don't know about any other forums concerning specific cruise dates other than here. What I'm seeing is 100% devotion to this FE and Pixiedust thing. Nothing, at least on the cruise thread I started, about excursions, on board activities discussion, food choices- nothing. Third cruise so I know how it typically goes and this one is a dud. I'm giving-up on visiting my own cruise thread!

I noticed this too. Who knows maybe the end of Twitter/Facebook may start soon, especially now that it seems they have decided to get into politics and pick and choose which sides are allowed to discuss their opinions.

I noticed this too. Who knows maybe the end of Twitter/Facebook may start soon, especially now that it seems they have decided to get into politics and pick and choose which sides are allowed to discuss their opinions.

I am so shocked at the sense of ownership and entitlement on the specific social media platform that I was a group of. Geez.

^I don't know about any other forums concerning specific cruise dates other than here. What I'm seeing is 100% devotion to this FE and Pixiedust thing. Nothing, at least on the cruise thread I started, about excursions, on board activities discussion, food choices- nothing. Third cruise so I know how it typically goes and this one is a dud. I'm giving-up on visiting my own cruise thread!

That's kind of how I'm feeling on my thread too, but I'm hanging in there. Even if it turns out to be just a handful of people/cabins, then that's fine with me. :)

FE groups are supposed to be fun. I would never join a group that had strict rules. Glad you got out!

Thanks. It's absolutely ridiculous.

oh gosh, such a pity to hear all this. I havent been on a cruise but I was part of the Magic British Isles Cruise Meet Thread here on Dis as my home city was one of the ports. It was a very active thread , with everything from port excursions to FE to pre and post cruise transport etc etc being discussed. They even posted a time and location onboard meetup for embarkation day so everyone in the thread could meet up on the first day on board. I guess that thread was the exception rather than the norm :(

On our last European cruise we had a wonderful group over on Other Social Media Platform. Organized all kinds of activities, brunches, excursions, etc. and shared tons of great info. We wouldn't have done half the stuff we did were it not for the group. I think a lot depends on the mix of the group and probably who initially sets that up. Sorry you are dealing with a control freak!

oh gosh, such a pity to hear all this. I havent been on a cruise but I was part of the Magic British Isles Cruise Meet Thread here on Dis as my home city was one of the ports. It was a very active thread , with everything from port excursions to FE to pre and post cruise transport etc etc being discussed. They even posted a time and location onboard meetup for embarkation day so everyone in the thread could meet up on the first day on board. I guess that thread was the exception rather than the norm :(
Well, it's more the exception NOW. Time was that was the way they all mostly were.

I think a lot of "older" DISboard/DCL cruisers who were the driving forces behind the Cruise Meet threads in the past are no longer here. So we have a lot of "newbies" who really don't know all the stuff that used to be done on the meet threads. Primarily they seem to be "where's the Fish Extender & how do I sign up for it?"

They don't seem to understand that the cruise meet threads were primarily to "meet" with others on your specific cruise and discuss ALL areas of interest for the cruise.

In fact, Fish Extenders were not "invented" until 2005. Not sure how long DISboards cruise meet threads have been in existence, but I think it's longer.

I am in a Fe group on another social media site and the group is awesome! No dictatorship, no keeping track of who gives what or money amounts. No kicking out of members for mentioning other sites. It's a good group!

That said, I've also joined other Disney cruise themed groups on other media sites and they ARE dictatorship like. One person is in charge and you will be banned for mentioning, linking or saying anything about other sites (including here). I've had a lurker experience there - people contributing to the page seem nice!

It's unfortunate you had such a horrible experience. I hope you are able to find a happier group!

Thanks for all of the comments. I have been on some WoNDERFUL Disney cruise meets groups right here on the DIS. I'm just sad that so many people either aren't finding the DIS anymore, and/or they're just joining other meet groups or FE groups.

Our 2nd Disney cruise and first being super involved in a cruise group was great. I'm still friendly with a family we met due to shared interests (even though there is a large age gap) and are such good friends with one couple we met on that cruise that we went to their wedding! Now the 3rd cruise we did some the meet up the first day and nobody introduced themselves to anyone. I honestly don't know anyone who was in the group. For our 4th Disney Cruise I'll join the group here but not doing another FE group or meet group on the other page. I also found it was full of people pushing themselves as Disney travel agents. As soon as we got off the boat there were messages about switching your on board booking to them. It was over bearing.

Thanks for all of the comments. I have been on some WoNDERFUL Disney cruise meets groups right here on the DIS. I'm just sad that so many people either aren't finding the DIS anymore, and/or they're just joining other meet groups or FE groups.
The biggest problem is that, with only newer, inexperienced, cruisers setting up cruise meet threads here, it doesn't take long before someone shows up saying "Hey - we're all over on (insert site here), come on over"

Making it sound like it's all the same thing and effectively gutting the DISboards groups.

When I first started on DISboards, we had great Cruise Meet groups. All cruise-related discussions were on the DIS. But those who wanted more personal communications (how's the job; what problem little Johnny is having in school; the weather; whatever) use other sites that were more practical for immediate back & forth discussions.

But, that didn't last long, as big (other site) promoters would just direct everyone over to the other site.

I was in one cruise meet group here on DIS toward the end of my involvement with such things, that was really on FB. They'd set up mixologys, FE groups, all sorts of other things and, while they agreed to "keep those of you not on that site in the loop" it basically came out as "we've planned this, do you want to participate?" We had no say about times/dates/what events to set up.

I have notice the decline, at least on my last cruise and the September 10 Med one for this year. There are only a couple pages of posts on the DIS and the cruise is in 50 days. On our past cruises we met a lot of people through the DIS Cruise Meet board. We even linked ressies with people and ate dinner with them. Hasn't been the case lately. Had to go to social media to meet up with people on our cruise. Strange too, a number of them are members here but haven't even posted on the meet board at all. Maybe it is the cruises we picked, but it seems more difficult to meet people on the DIS anymore. By the way, our social media group is pretty good. We have a couple FE's going and an open bar afternoon planned in one of the lounges. Maybe we will have better luck on our next cruise.

Our September 5th Dream cruise will have a Breakfast Meet. If you're on that cruise and have not joined the thread here, please do.

I'm also on the mentioned dictatorship social media group and it is ridiculous. Deleted posts for even mentioning DISboards, crazy rules on what you can and can not post. If she doesn't like a post or a comment, it gets deleted. Now she is completely redoing the FE that people have been signed up for for months. My wife already started making gifts and now may have to start over. I've been on other social media groups and they were nothing like this one.

This will be our 3rd Disney cruise and I was on here all the time planning the first 2. We even ended up seated at dinner with one of the couples that was in the group on our 1st cruise, so we already kind of knew each other. I've noticed the drop in interest on this cruise and it's a shame.

I understand. Before social media, using these boards was a great "back and forth" so to speak, or being able to message one-another and actually build connections previous to sail. It felt far more solid to me, to interact this way. I now can't help but feel a little befuddled and even awkward trying to speak to people in my FB Cruise group. Now I have been lucky and they've been fantastic and very kind to me, but I still feel so very disconnected trying to start any kind of conversation or even commenting on other's posts; social media is just a different breed and now I really feel old thinking about it, lol. I am a late addition to it, and I feel like I'm forcing myself into a social situation that's already been established (as much as it can be, I suppose), which doesn't help the awkward feeling. :scratchin I understand that it's easier to manage groups that way, for some, I just wish we could stay in the forums and keep it in one place unless we choose to branch out and add people individually elsewhere. I feel so scatterbrained constantly having to check different places to see if I'm missing anything important. :surfweb:

Your groups "over there" may be run by the same dictator who ran out December Magic group. A few months before we sailed I found out she wasn't even sailing with us!! - running the group was "just a way to help others." She put a total newbie in charge of the FE. I buddies up with a couple of Platinums for some inside info I chose not to share with the group, and scored myself a cabana!

Never join a group that does not fully consist of ticketed passengers.

That said, our April 23 2017 WBPC groups (here and "there") are amazing. Perhaps it's the furor over such a fabulous itinerary. We also have a lot of repeat cruisers. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for an awesome experience already. Can't wait to sail with my new friends!

The biggest problem is that, with only newer, inexperienced, cruisers setting up cruise meet threads here, it doesn't take long before someone shows up saying "Hey - we're all over on (insert site here), come on over"

Making it sound like it's all the same thing and effectively gutting the DISboards groups.

When I first started on DISboards, we had great Cruise Meet groups. All cruise-related discussions were on the DIS. But those who wanted more personal communications (how's the job; what problem little Johnny is having in school; the weather; whatever) use other sites that were more practical for immediate back & forth discussions.

But, that didn't last long, as big (other site) promoters would just direct everyone over to the other site.

I was in one cruise meet group here on DIS toward the end of my involvement with such things, that was really on FB. They'd set up mixologys, FE groups, all sorts of other things and, while they agreed to "keep those of you not on that site in the loop" it basically came out as "we've planned this, do you want to participate?" We had no say about times/dates/what events to set up.

First of all, PrincessShmoo, thank you for posting the history and basic info of FEs on my cruise meets thread! I started the thread for my cruise, so no newbie here! lol

I'm also on the mentioned dictatorship social media group and it is ridiculous. Deleted posts for even mentioning DISboards, crazy rules on what you can and can not post. If she doesn't like a post or a comment, it gets deleted. Now she is completely redoing the FE that people have been signed up for for months. My wife already started making gifts and now may have to start over. I've been on other social media groups and they were nothing like this one.

This will be our 3rd Disney cruise and I was on here all the time planning the first 2. We even ended up seated at dinner with one of the couples that was in the group on our 1st cruise, so we already kind of knew each other. I've noticed the drop in interest on this cruise and it's a shame.

I think it's a control issue. Why redo all of the lists that we had already signed up for, with all of our info?? I'm not going to be involved at all on *that* group. I'll be here, on the DIS boards, on the Oct 22, 2016 Magic cruise meet thread that I started. :sunny:

We've had the same experiences of getting to know people here on the DIS before the cruise and feeling comfortable enough to link reservations and dine with them. :)

Your groups "over there" may be run by the same dictator who ran out December Magic group. A few months before we sailed I found out she wasn't even sailing with us!! - running the group was "just a way to help others." She put a total newbie in charge of the FE. I buddies up with a couple of Platinums for some inside info I chose not to share with the group, and scored myself a cabana!

Never join a group that does not fully consist of ticketed passengers.

That said, our April 23 2017 WBPC groups (here and "there") are amazing. Perhaps it's the furor over such a fabulous itinerary. We also have a lot of repeat cruisers. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful for an awesome experience already. Can't wait to sail with my new friends!

I feel a disconnect on the other groups, for some reason. 2017 WBPC? Hmmm...good chance that DH and I might book that one! It's good to know there is already a great group here for that one. :)

I am in a Fe group on another social media site and the group is awesome! No dictatorship, no keeping track of who gives what or money amounts. No kicking out of members for mentioning other sites. It's a good group!

That said, I've also joined other Disney cruise themed groups on other media sites and they ARE dictatorship like. One person is in charge and you will be banned for mentioning, linking or saying anything about other sites (including here). I've had a lurker experience there - people contributing to the page seem nice!

It's unfortunate you had such a horrible experience. I hope you are able to find a happier group!

YES! I got my hand slapped recently on a DCL enthusiast page on a social media site for providing a link to another DCL enthusiast site with helpful information. I know the same is true here on the DIS. I assume this is because they're all competing for clicks. Feels petty. This is what I like about the social media cruise meets. We can link to whatever we want in them. Or at least in the few I've participated in.

Your groups "over there" may be run by the same dictator who ran out December Magic group. A few months before we sailed I found out she wasn't even sailing with us!! - running the group was "just a way to help others."

I think she's notorious for that. The admin makes all of the difference. In all honesty, if you get a good one the FB format is much nicer than here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter