• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Front of the Monorail

I agree 100%.:thumbsup2 You know people have been killed on rides at disney too.Should we shut them down also? Because of an error in judgement by one pilot they should not end this program! Unfortunately thats the knee jerk reaction to a society that sues at the drop of a hat!

Yep your right the reason it won't be allowed again is more a issue with risk management then it is with true safety. It is Disney's decision but it is driven by lawyers in this case. The list of things that would be closed base on them having deaths associated with them at Disney includes the following.

Disney Buses
Monorail - Front Compartment is no longer allowed
Dinosaur
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
Rock 'N' Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Body Wars
Mission : Space
Soarin'
Moat around Cinderella Castle
Skyway - Gone
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Typhoon Lagoon Wave Pool
Disney Parades with Floats

Decide off that list what you want to cross off if your not willing to take a little risk.

I agree 100%.:thumbsup2 You know people have been killed on rides at disney too.Should we shut them down also? Because of an error in judgement by one pilot they should not end this program! Unfortunately thats the knee jerk reaction to a society that sues at the drop of a hat!

It was not pilot error but someone who did not switch the tracks.

I guess I don't understand what the big deal is..yes, it was a cute thing to do, but they've decided that for safety and/or liability reasons not to do it anymore.I get the feeling the adults are more upset about this than any kid would be. Honestly, I think it's smart..the accident that happened last year was tragic enough-imagine if there had been a family in there too?

This was one of the "free" highlights of our trips over the past 3 years so I am sad to see it go but I do understand. I have noticed that when we rode up front that some of the drivers were young, with little experience. I hope that this is something they looked at after the accident.

This was one of the "free" highlights of our trips over the past 3 years so I am sad to see it go but I do understand. I have noticed that when we rode up front that some of the drivers were young, with little experience. I hope that this is something they looked at after the accident.

How much monorail piloting experience is there to be had? Everyone has to have a first day on the job.

I never realized that they had stopped doing this, though I can understand why.

I am just glad that my family was lucky enough to experience this several times. My kids loved it!

Yes, people have the right to take their own risks, but not at the expense of anyone else's safety. Disney has decided that it is too risky to have families up front distracting the monorail drivers. I wish more people would consider others before demanding that they have the 'right' to risk other people's lives.

And to compare a fatal crash to an E Ticket ride? :sad2:

Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but I hear alot of people saying safety, how bad it would be if it happened again, etc. I guess I wonder, is it possible to have these things completely run by computers? Afterall, there is still a pilot up in that cabin. Not sure how the Monorails really operate, and maybe they do run like that to an extent, with the pilots having "override" capabilities, and being there, in case something doesn't operate properly.

Yes, people have the right to take their own risks, but not at the expense of anyone else's safety. Disney has decided that it is too risky to have families up front distracting the monorail drivers. I wish more people would consider others before demanding that they have the 'right' to risk other people's lives.

And to compare a fatal crash to an E Ticket ride? :sad2:

I don't see how riding up front endangers anyone but the people up front.:confused3The accident that occured with the monorail was when there was only a CM running the monorail and after hours too!It is comparable to an accident on any ride at disney, as they all involve human interaction.Sadly these accidents happen,there is no reason to quit living every time a fatality occurs.I'm glad we got to expierience it once and I feel bad for those who wish to expierience it now won't get a chance!

Ok I know i'm giong to regret this, but when did people die/have an accident on the following:

Dinosaur
Soarin'

Decide off that list what you want to cross off if your not willing to take a little risk.

People have died on numerous attractions. However, in very few cases can it be said that the attraction was the cause of death, especially due to malfunction or operator error.

Maybe I'm out of the loop on this one, but I hear alot of people saying safety, how bad it would be if it happened again, etc. I guess I wonder, is it possible to have these things completely run by computers? Afterall, there is still a pilot up in that cabin. Not sure how the Monorails really operate, and maybe they do run like that to an extent, with the pilots having "override" capabilities, and being there, in case something doesn't operate properly.

The monorail trains are manually piloted.

I'd understand this debate if Disney was choosing to close a ride because of an accident. However, this isn't a ride or attraction; it's a mode of transportation. The simple fact is that Disney has chosen to eliminate the privilege/perk of being able to ride up front. It's their transportation system, and they have every right to do it.

It's not as if they are choosing to close down BTMR or stop having parades. The simple fact is that it's not a ride; it's a vehicle, and WDW has chosen to treat it more like a vehicle.

Gustes are still allowed this form of transportation; they just have to sit in their designated seats. Is it really a big deal? I've had the chance to ride in the front, and I don't see the huge appeal. It's not a ride; it's a fun way to be transported from point A to point B.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal or hard concept to grasp. It's not like they said, "we're closing down the entire monorail system." Now, that would be horrible...not being able to sit up front...not worth getting upset over.

I have been fortunate enough to ride up front in the Monorail when I was a young kid, however my children haven't had the chance to do so. I hope at some point that Disney is able to offer this privilege again, but I completely understand why the don't right now, and may not ever.

I have been fortunate enough to ride up front in the Monorail when I was a young kid, however my children haven't had the chance to do so. I hope at some point that Disney is able to offer this privilege again, but I completely understand why the don't right now, and may not ever.

Well said. A moderator should delete my post and close this thread with yours.

Ok I know i'm giong to regret this, but when did people die/have an accident on the following:

From the following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disney_parks

Dinosaur
Main article: Dinosaur (Disney's Animal Kingdom)

* On April 30, 2005, a 30-year-old man from Mooresville, Indiana lost consciousness shortly after exiting the ride and later died. An investigation showed the ride was operating correctly and was not the cause of his death; the victim had a known heart condition for which he wore a pacemaker.[50]

Soarin'
Main article: Soarin'

* On January 15, 2007, a 67-year-old man from New York suffered from slurred speech and right-side weakness after riding Soarin'. He died two days later. The medical examiner ruled that the victim had a stroke, but did not perform an autopsy.[57]

Both of these are most likely medical conditions but they could have been exacerbated by the ride so the potential for risk could be there.

That being said I'm good to leave this as one of those areas where people will agree to disagree.

I do agree with TomH I'm glad my family had the opportunity to experience the front of the monorail and I hope in the future others will have the chance to experience that as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter