• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

From the Sea to the World - Holiday Edition - Completed

But even so, we had an amazing time and managed to pull off some pretty stinkin' fun touring. Let's see, not one, but two churches, the castle, the toy museum, the Albrecht Durer Haus, some freakishly amazing restaurants (my favorite was the Bratwurst place near the first church we saw), visiting you, the underground tour... OH MY! I'm tired just reading that. And want to go back so bad!

It was a great visit! And I do hope that you will make your bed back to Germany one day! The good news is that if it is not all seven of you, I now have a very nice guest bedroom in my new flat! :thumbsup2

That will be awesome, crazy fun!

Somehow your spring break did not turn out to be so much DIS fun... You had computer problems and I was tired out from work... :confused3 Let's make better use of your next break (but then you are working to earn money for your spectacular graduation trip...)

There actually is a 2nd part of this trip that I'm not sure I mentioned yet?? I'd have to go back and read... but more on that coming up.

Oh, I don't think you mentioned a second part yet! I am looking forward to reading about it!

Believe it or not, there actually is a fair amount to do there, and the Hoop should be done once for sure. Even if only to wander into the men's room. ;)

A report of my first time at the Hoop is coming up... You will need to wait to find out whether I went to have a look at the mural or not..

I'd go back and do that again for sure, but since I've not done F&W yet, I want to tackle that first. THe last time I did F&G was in 2003? with my parents and we had FAR too little time to really do it justice.

You know, for someone who lived in the Central Asian Steppe for such a long time, you have been to WDW quite often! ;) I will comment on your F&W plans on your trip report.

I"m sure they probably did, but more of the labels I'm finding are landscape style with orchards and such.

I really like those as well. Do they pack oranges in paper in the US? I think it kind of has stopped here now, but until some time ago, a few oranges out of a box would be wrapped in thin paper with the producer's logo.

I'm WAY too stubborn to not finish this program- or at least stick it out until I am kicked out.. ;)

:thumbsup2 That's the right attitude!!

$8,000 on spa treatments? I guess I can think of plenty of other things (like another vacation) I'd want to spend that on. That would pay for a trip to Europe, or WDW. And there ain't NO ONE that ugly. Or tired.

I agree totally. I would not even want to spend so much of my vacation time on using up all these spa treatments!!:scared1:

Anyway, sailaway looked fabulous. As did you room. I think my favorite was the rocket assembly bldg in the distance. Really gave it some perspective!

It looks impressive standing out there in the middle of nowhere, doesn't it? I really need to make time for KSC on a future trip... Now I have been so close and did not go there.

I"m on a neighbor's desktop and should probably sign off as to not be rude, but I did read the replies and will anxiously await the return of my laptop so I can reply. Meantime, I am taking Zach to test for his driver's permit, cleaning my house, returning some items at a store, taking Zach to the eye dr. and making dinner.

(((((sigh)))))

Now I am so nostalgic. I thought I would see one of these next month and now it may be six months, if even then.....
So cool. And again, I'm feeling envious....

So sorry that your trip was cancelled! I was thinking of you when I posted the update and how bittersweet it must be for you to read my TR now. You were so much looking forward to me writing about the Fantasy as preparation for your plan... I hope you get to go on lots of cruises to make up for it!!

I actually can imagine how someone could do this. Not that I would, but I can understand it. Just wondering how they have so much money to throw around, but then sometimes I ask that of Fran.

I think it really depends how much you are into spa-ing. I would not want to spend so much time of my cruise in the spa...

No, I can't see why you don't wear caps like that. I think you look very nice in the cap. But I feel the same way. I hate seeing pictures of me in ball caps.

Well, I guess then you know what I am talking about! :thumbsup2

I can see that, but since I don't have kids, nor do I want them (being waaaay past the child bearing age) I would just blow it off, but I can see how it could be manipulative to folks who would buy into it. I drank the Kool Aid freely and actually with how many points I own, was probably doing shots in the back room! :rotfl2:

I guess it was a different kind of Kool Aid that you drank - not the kiddie version!! :laughing: You know, I think even a few years ago, buying into DVC through a direct sale still made sense for certain people. But looking at the current pricing? :confused:

I've never made to a meeting so I haven't had an opportunity to win, but I've never got a prize, just what they hand out at the kiosk on the ship. It would be nice to get the $200 OB credit!

I am not sure that I will keep going to these events just for the small chance of winning the OB credit. I went this time because when they were at 9am, Michael never came along. So, this was for him to experience it. It will be up to Katharina if she wants to do it on our Norway cruise. The novelty wears off... And I think if you go to the desk during the first day, they will give you the gift they handed out at the Members Celebration.

I'm glad you found them and figured out what to do in the event of changing rooms in the future. This is the second time I've heard of this problem.

I think Disney should be more honest about the fact that the scanning the bar code system is not fool proof instead of saying that the old luggage tags work perfectly.

Ooooh! I wish I were having one of those sometime soon!

Well, rumor has it that you will soon enough be close enough to acquire drinks from Trader Sam. And I can tell you that his drinks are far superior to any drink I bought on the pool deck of a DCL ship!!!

That's soo cool! We toured the Kennedy Space Center on one of our trips about 7 years ago, it was really neat!

I really need to go there when I am in Florida, I have been talking about it for years!

I"m on a neighbor's desktop and should probably sign off as to not be rude, but I did read the replies and will anxiously await the return of my laptop so I can reply. Meantime, I am taking Zach to test for his driver's permit, cleaning my house, returning some items at a store, taking Zach to the eye dr. and making dinner.

That sounds like a full schedule!! Time flies, Zach is getting a driver's permit!!! :eek:

I love wandering around the resorts or ships first thing in the morning when hardly anybody is around. It is so peaceful. Your lobby photos have come out great. What a nice way to start the day with a walk along the beach. That business with the shuttle was a pain, but I am glad that it ended up saving you some time.

It was a really nice morning! There is something magical about a sunny, but cool morning at the sea. Immediately gives me this romantic idea of a North Sea or Baltic Sea vacation (something we never did when I was a kid - and most likely it would not be nearly as sunny in reality as in my imagination...).

I will be so upset if I don't get to walk through the Mickey head the next time we sail out of Port Canaveral. We have not done this since 2011. The atrium of the Fantasy looks gorgeous.

Since you are Platinum, I guess you will just have to escape them if they try to let you bypass it. I am sure the CMs will understand though!

I can imagine what Cabanas would have been like. I loved Cabanas on our last trip on the Magic, but we did not brave it on embarkation day. We ended up at Beach Blanket Buffet for the embarkation lunch on one cruise and that was a complete zoo.

I was lured by the promise of more food offerings, but I am not sure that that's with it. On the other hand, I am now starting to think that Michael's comment about it quieting down at 1:30pm might be the key to a successful meal there. Don't bother rushing to lunch. Find a nice deck chair, get a drink and watch the craziness. At 1:30pm drop your bags off in your room and then go to lunch at Cabanas. I think with that strategy one might get the best of both worlds...

I wonder why they do the DVC Member Celebration on embarkation day. This makes it so hectic. I do rather like that they had Stitch there. Stitch is the second biggest love of my life.

I have no idea. I kind of liked the first sea day morning for it, it gave the sea day a bit of a structure. And I prefer the mimosas they had there to the drinks they served on the Fantasy.

The adult hot tubs sound nice despite the potential for noise and the Rainforest Room on the new ships is my idea of heaven.

Oh, the Rainforest Room!!! :cloud9: Will write about that in more detail...

I have heard of others locking you in a room or just plain not letting you leave. Being told I could not leave when I wanted to would unleash all sorts of this NY girl on the poor salesman. It would not be pretty. :rolleyes1

Ok, some new information to file away: Don't do anything that unleashes the NY girl in Pat!!! :scared1:

I will say if I did not grow up with a German mother I probably would not know. Your English and accent is on par with my mother's that has been in this country for over 50 years. :worship:

Thanks! :blush: It is funny that you can hear it - a lot of people can hear that something is a little off, but have no idea what it is. The strange thing however is: I can hear a German accent when a German speaks English. But if an American tries to do a fake German accent, I have no clue what they are trying to do (at least with most, I am sure there are some that are good at it - when Michael tries it, he sounds like a Ukranian Count...).

:disrocks: Now just to make it his idea the next time. :rolleyes1

Well, one step at a time! :rotfl2:

:drinking1:drinking1 Good German Stock. :)

So, should we have a drinking contest next time we see each other??? :lmao:

Hi there! Read another report of yours, loving the tag team effort! The hotel looked beautiful, tempting! That drink looked amazing :drinking: 8,000 on spa treatments?! That's 2 more cruises for me!

:welcome: Happy to hear that you enjoyed my previous efforts!

And I agree with you there - I would rather use the 8,000 on another trip (or two or three...).

True. I guess I look at the total cost since I knew I wouldn't be able to buy into DVC to begin with!

I actually think that you would not be the right candidate for DVC anyway - you love to travel to so many different places that being tied down with DVC does not seem to be your style. I am sometimes struggling with it a bit that I want to do more other stuff, but end up back at Disney (which I love and enjoy immensely), just because those points are there and easy to use. Not the thing you want to if you have the challenge of visiting all 50 states with your kids!

You guys are too kind. All I can say is Julie and I are doing our best and making it up as we go. We both love traveling, so it's rewarding to see that attitude rubbing off on the kids.:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

Many of us are glad you're hooked on writing them. I know it's a lot of work with all of the detail and photos you include. (Not sure if Michael is being paid as a copywriter or editor :rotfl2:.)

I am not sure as what Michael is being paid - but I think my lovely company on the trip was worth a lot, so he has no reason to complain about his pay grade! :lmao:

I did a trip commentary, not a full blown TR, after our trip to Aulani last year and like you, partly it was for myself to refer to in the future.

Ah, Aulani!! :cloud9: I really want to go to Hawaii. It is just so far far away from here!! Truly halfway around the world...

And, I'm pretty sure it was Captain O who alerted us to the $100 gift card that would be ours for sitting through a painless DVC spiel.

That's a great tip!! I have already filed @Captain_Oblivious Hawaii trip report as a valuable travel resource for when I finally make it to Hawaii!

Photos of bathroom signs would make a great coffee table book. I'm sure it's been done.

There used to be a website with the "Happiest Potties on Earth" about Disney bathrooms. :goodvibes

When my husband and I were first dating we visited an army buddy of his in Arizona. I looked at the signs on the restrooms and had to go back to the table to ask -- in front of his friend -- if I was a pointer or a setter. As I heard myself asking the question I figured it out. :blush:

It took me a moment as well to figure it out! :rotfl:

I think it is in Poland where they have signs for Men/Women: a circle and a triangle. I think that is pretty difficult to figure out!!

Ah, Aulani!! :cloud9: I really want to go to Hawaii. It is just so far far away from here!! Truly halfway around the world...

Aulani is worth it. It is not that much closer for us, but it was so magical that I would not hesitate going again.

Corinna

struggling to catch up!
I think we all are!!!

Yes, even me!!!

What's your definition of a smart phone????? There ARE other ones beside IPhones, you know….

One that has a touch screen? :flower:

You already travelled a lot with one of the sisters, so you should be used to this attitude by now?!

Well, on our first trip together, the safety cushion helped us not to miss our train from Paris to Berlin. I had read the bus time table the wrong way...

She looks very elegant!

Yes, she does. She appears on formal night in that dress for pictures as a walk around character

Michael and I definitely have not the same taste in salads!

Ok, what is so offensive? (But I agree, I would not want to eat his salads either!)

I don't know anything about cooler???!!!

Says the girl who once had green hair! :crazy:

I also own only about half as many shirts ;-)

Maybe only 2/3..

I think we can assume Michael doesn't correct all your typos.

No, I often wear a typo of a hat! :rotfl2:

We always say child labour should be abolished when we hear or see ads with kids...

So, how would you design a diaper add??? ;)

I vote for the big price!!!

I don't think it works the way that you can vote which price you get...

You mean "so that she does not feel like me on my first cruise"?

Exactly!!

I guess I should start training…

Soon it is only two months!!! I think you can also use the current weather as training weather for what June in Norway will be like...:umbrella:

I'm glad you made it on the ship without any bigger problems, I hope you'll also make it off the ship without any problems!
I'm taking notes for our cruise - first day: huge drink in funny glass and stupid hats.

Yes, those are the most important things to remember! :confused:

:lmao::rotfl2: Katharina my dear friend, you always make comments that brighten my day.......

you're welcome!

See, and you ask about "cooler"???? I am pretty sure Marv agrees with Michael there!

I was wondering wether I accidentally "unwatched" this TR, as nothing was happening here although I heard rumours of several updates having been written.... I hope the vitamin pills kick in soon! Only 70 days left!!!!

71 days - your countdown is off! But you are right! I better get working!!! :rolleyes1

Aulani is worth it. It is not that much closer for us, but it was so magical that I would not hesitate going again.

Corinna

The problem is that I want to do a proper Hawaii trip and see the other islands as well. And with that the trip becomes really expensive. But I know that it needs to happen in the next few years, but I need some time to fill up my travel budget again...

Another Kind of Passport - Part 1

Once we were cleaned up we headed to the show. I like to see the show on the first evening. It kind of is a neat introduction to the cruise, the cruise director welcomes you and tells you a little bit about the cruise. I think especially on a first cruise, or even on a new ship it is worth it to go there. We met Clayton, our cruise director for the week. He was a lot of fun. But no, he was no Jimmy… (the cruise director we had on the Wonder and which I thought was fabulous!) For me that was sad. I think Michael thought that this was good.

A little Jimmy goes a long, long way! I liked Clayton just fine. I don't like Brent on the Magic. I find him to be cool and pretentious. You're a cruise director, dude, not a member of the royal family!

The show itself was called “A Fantasy Come True” and it is about a family embarking on a cruise on the Disney Fantasy. So it kind of had the exact same story as the welcome show on the Wonder. But it tried to be more “modern” – and in my opinion failed a bit in that regard. It was fun enough to see once. Not sure I would want to watch it again.

I'd agree as I'm having a hard time recalling it right now. When that happens on cruises, I tend to think the show wasn't all that special!

After the show we had a quick look at the shops. They are much larger on the Fantasy than on the Wonder. But I am not sure that there is so much more merchandise. It just seems to be far more spread out. Which is good as the shops on the Wonder were quickly overcrowded. We saw some neat merchandise, but did not buy anything. However, I made sure to let Michael know that all purchases in the shops were his responsibility: Not that he had to pay for my stuff, but he had to buy it. As a Gold Castaway Club member he gets a 10% discount on all onboard merchandise (there might be a few exemptions). But only if his Key To The World card is used for the purchase. He was quite pleased to hear about this. I think there was a tiny note with the gift he got in his cabin that alluded to this. But it really was not obvious and had I not read about it on the DIS, we might have missed it totally.

Yes, I had no clue about this. I do think DCL could do better though since their cruises are so pricey to start. It wouldn't kill them to offer 10% to silver, 20% for gold and 30% to platinum. Really, I mean how much of a markup is there on that $16.95 Vinylmation? Oh, I also liked the shops, but was disappointed in the lack of ship-specific merchandise. I don't really need much DCL logo stuff, but I'd like something from the Fantasy and beyond a pin, I don't recall seeing much of anything!

After a brief visit to the shops I wanted to check out the adult area. So, we ventured over there. And even though it was between show and dinner, so the best time for drinks, the bars were nearly empty. We first looked into OhLaLa as I love champagne. We thought it was a beautiful space. The CMs were quite excited to see us and told us a little bit about the bar. They were really nice, not pushy. We promised we would be back.

A promise that we did not keep and I am a bit sad about this. But we had a good reason. The next place we checked out (after walking through the hallway with the bathrooms and the night club called “Tube”) was Skyline. Here again the CMs were excited to tell us all about their bar. The fun thing in Skyline is that one wall looks like windows, but is actually screens. And you see the skyline of a different city every 12 minutes. It gives you the feeling as if you are in a bar on top of a high building looking out of the evening in your city. When we came in the CMs asked us to guess which city we were seeing. Well, the whole adult district is called “Europa” (the Latin name for the continent of Europe – and for the lady who impressed Zeus, but that’s another story). So, all the cities being displayed are European cities. As a European I felt that I needed to show off my knowledge of my continent and guessed very hard. And then I saw one thing that told me where I was: A church with a very distinct black and white striped pattern: It was Florence. The CMs were really surprised when I told them my guess and they said that I was the first person ever to guess this one correctly. I am sure there was some flattering going on… And I kind of lost all my credentials later on during the cruise when I declared Budapest to be Paris. I guess that was an easy mistake since they both have a river run through them. And yes, they obviously both have an Eiffel Tower (no, not really…).

I really liked the separation between the adult clubs and the rest of the ship. It seemed more like a labyrinth or maze to wind through and I really liked that. It also assured the lack of an accidental brat (oh, did I say that? I meant angel!) clamoring on through. I do agree with Magdalene, I would have enjoyed spending more time at the bars and clubs, but it just wasn't meant to be. I guess one day when the Fantasy starts doing 9-11-12-14 night cruises we'll get our chance!

After having fun with the city guessing game the CMs told us about this special deal they had going: Buy a “Passport” which gives you 7 of their signature drinks for the price of 5. Their drinks are all a bit pricier (around 10-12$) than your usual drink of the day, so this seemed like a nice deal. They also ensured us that we were not limited to order one from each country and that we could share the passport. And with that we were sold. We decided that that was a great idea and we had to get a passport. However, since it was getting close to dinner time we had to postpone the passport purchase until after dinner.

I totally failed to take pictures of the adult area, but if you want to get an overview, I can recommend this video:

After a quick stop in the room to retrieve the camera (I did not take it to the show as you can’t take pictures there, but that’s why you had to endure so much text without pictures…) we headed to our first dinner. We had gotten the rotation AERAERA. On DCL ships they have three different dining rooms for dinner and you are assigned a specific one every night, but it changes every evening. So you are rotating through the dining rooms, therefore it is called “Rotational Dining”. AERAERA is the order in which we were going to eat at the different restaurants. We started in Animator’s Palette (A), then the second night was Enchanted Garden (E) and third night was in Royal Court (R) and then we started over again. Originally I had requested a different rotation that would have us in Animator’s Palette on Day 5 for a specific reason, but I knew that having Animator’s Palette on Day 4 was going to be nice as well (which we will talk about more on Day 4). Our main request was a table for two, so as long as we had that we were not too concerned about rotations.

Heading to AP we kind of ended up going in the side entrance and that was just right for us as we were rather close to this. We had a table directly next to a screen that currently was showing an aquarium. AP is special as there is some kind of show happening while you eat. There are screens all around the restaurant and during the dinner Crush from Finding Nemo floats around and talks to the people. But there are also other little things floating by and entertain you. It was really neat. Our table was kind of a little bit off to the side and I really liked it. I had horrible stories about AP on the new ships being so noisy. We found it to be very nice and relaxed.

I do not like AP on the Wonder at all. I like it slightly more on the Magic since its rehab. But on the Fantasy, I loved it. Instead of black and white and drab, you get splashed with color right from the start. Almost as if you were truly in an animator's studio and it just is a very festive and fun mood. I wasn't thrilled being in front of a screen because I feared we'd wind up playing with that Duuuuuuuude Crush in the middle of dinner because we were closest, but that fear proved unfounded!

Once we were seated we met our fabulous serving team: Sughit from India as our server and Meible from (I think) Indonesia as our assistant server. We did not really notice it yet on the first day, but they were absolutely wonderful. I had heard people rave about how wonderful the servers area on the Disney ships and while we always had totally adequate servers, this was the first time that I felt we had that kind of service. However, I think people have different ideas of what a truly excellent server is. We loved them for being very efficient, nice and friendly, but in an understated way. Sughit told us that he was on the opening team of the Fantasy as a new hire and that he loves the ship and working for Disney. He said that when they were getting they first got the ship to Port Canaveral (he had boarded the ship already in Germany after it was built there) they had the opportunity to spend one day at the Magic Kingdom as part of their training and he absolutely loved it! Meible was the funnier of the two and a bit crazy in a nice way. They really made a huge difference on our dining experience.

Yes, I agree. I tried to recall our servers from our very first cruise together, which was less than two years ago and I can't recall them at all. I'm going to guess that one was a guy and one was a gal, but my family and I had an all-male serving team on our 2010 Transatlantic on the Magic, so who knows? But I do remember these two because they were prompt, professional and friendly, but not in that over-the-top cruise way where people think these CMs are part of their family and not simply trying to do a great job!

The table settings at AP are really nice:

DSC05195.jpg

And the menu looks cute as well:

DSC05196.jpg

The menu for tonight was the Pacific Rim Cuisine: http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/animators-palate-menu-dream-fantasy/

We started with the bread basket:

DSC05193.jpg

Which was served with an olive oil and garlic dip:

DSC05193.jpg

The bread was pretty good (and we got more “speciality bread” than standard rolls – that was one of my pet peeves on the Panama Canal cruise).

Michael ordered the Tomato Tarte with Glazed Goats Cheese and Radish Salad:

DSC05199.jpg

He really liked his tarte – and especially the fact that this was an appropriate size for an appetizer.

Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes: Pasta Purse filled with Truffle scented Cheese and coated with a delicate Champagne Sauce

DSC05200.jpg

Just a word of warning, the light that came off the screens did strange things to the pictures. I am pretty sure that the little juliennes of carrot were not THAT orange!

The pasta dish was very good. I know that there are people here on the DIS who love it, but I am not in that category. I would happily order it again, but it is not a must have for me.

It seems like I tried to catch a scene on our screen after the first appetizers.

DSC05201.jpg

For our next course Michael and I both ordered the same salad:

DSC05203.jpg

The description is: Arugula and Curly Endive Salad with Sliced Chortzo, Dried Figs, Herbed Croutons topped with a Cider Dressing.

Do you notice something?? The picture fits the description!!! We both really enjoyed the salad and commented on that this salad was better than any salad that we had during our 15 days on the Wonder earlier that year.

It was VERY tasty!

For our main course we once again ordered the same, the Ginger-Teriyaki dusted Angus Beef Tenderloin on Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with Bok Choy and a Tamarind-Barbecue Reduction

DSC05204.jpg

We both declared our steaks to be excellent! We were so surprised. So far this meal had definitely been a step up from any main dining room meal on the Wonder. And we also felt that our servers were able to pace our meal perfectly! We never waited around for long, Meible had our drinks topped up regularly. It was so wonderful all around.

Then it was time for dessert… Michael went with the Sweet Temptations which was a trio of desserts:

DSC05205.jpg

His comment was that they were ok, but he did not feel like he would have wanted more of any one of the three on his plate.

Yep, they were just OK. No, they didn't come close to be as good as the simple hot fudge sundae at Shutters in Vero Beach. DCL needs better desserts. They really are the weakest, BY FAR, I've had at sea.

I got the Mango Mousse (on our last cruise we came up with the rule: If it has mango – eat it.).

DSC05206.jpg

This was good, but it did not really wow me either. It kind of failed our mango rule.

So, after dinner we were happy that Disney was able to improve the dining experience on the newer ships. But the desserts failed us once again.

One thing I noticed was that it seems that on the Fantasy the servers have two different entries into the galley to get food. One on each side of the dining room. While the dining room is larger than on the classic ships (Magic and Wonder), it is not double the size, it should be about 1.5 times the size. So, my theory is that by doubling the galley entry points, the congestion for the servers when they get food is less and hence service can be quicker. We also never felt that any of the dining rooms on the Fantasy was more noisy than on the Wonder.

After dinner I insisted that we go and sign up for the one of the Midship Detective Agency. This is a kind of scavenger hunt where you go from clue to clue. The interesting thing is that the clues are hidden in the so-called “Enchanted Art”. Those are screens that look like pictures. You unlock those with your Detective Badge (actually a card with a bar code on the backside that you hold up to the screen which recognises it and then plays your appropriate clue). Michael was not too excited about it, but humoured me and agreed to play a little.

She humors me at other things, so I felt this was only fair. And I did enjoy the Muppets (love them) game we played as the cruise went on.

We went to one of the sign up stations which was on deck 5 at the side of the atrium, so I got some pictures while we were waiting:

DSC05207.jpg

DSC05208.jpg

We chose the Muppet Mystery. We then headed off to the first location and started the game and did the first clues with the plan to continue later on. We had great fun with it! We also came across the Muppet Call Board that provided clues as well:

DSC05209.jpg

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05211.jpg

But then we decided we better go and get our passport!

Along the way I found a very impressive piece of art:

DSC05212.jpg

And then we settled in at Skyline. It was filled with a few groups, but not crowded at all. We got a nice table with a view of the “windows” and looked at the menu. Michael chose to get an Ooh La La, which is kind of a mojito with elderflower liqueur. We had that as the drink of the day during the Panama Canal cruise and both really loved it there. This one looked a bit fancier and Michael loved it:

DSC05213.jpg

I had the Londinium which has gin, freshly muddled lemon, orange, mango puree and champagne. I really loved this drink!

DSC05214.jpg

We also got a bowl with peanuts that were really good! They were served in a dish that kind of was like a gravy boat and you could pour them out in your hand. Nice idea to prevent others touching your peanuts!

Yep. I recall when WDW resort bars served snacks. Apparently, they just can't afford them unless they raise room rates from obscene to insane!

We had a wonderful time enjoying our drinks, watching the cityscapes turn over and just enjoy being on the ship. I think after the fantastic dinner and then enjoying the bar and the drinks we started to be totally happy that we were on the cruise! And we started to realize that the whole idea of “getting the Fantasy out of our system” by going on one cruise on her was not really going to work…

No, I'm ready to leave again this weekend! Who's coming? More importantly, who's paying?

Continued in Part 2...

Another Kind of Passport - Part 2

After our drinks we felt like we needed to move a little and walked through the now pretty empty ship. Great opportunity for lots of pictures:

Carpet in the atrium:

DSC05215.jpg

Another picture of Minnie:

DSC05220.jpg

The chandelier from below:

DSC05224.jpg

And some random Atrium pictures:

DSC05222.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

DSC05230.jpg

And then we headed up to where Palo and Remy are to check these out. They were already closed for the day, but the lady at the welcome desk said that we were welcome to have a look around.

This is Remy:

DSC05233.jpg

I had to peek into the bathroom there as well as I had read that it was very pretty. This is the ladies’ room:

DSC05234.jpg

DSC05235.jpg

And this is a view of the elevator lobby looking towards the welcome desk for both Palo and Remy:

DSC05237.jpg

And then I realised that there was no one around and I became curious and thought that now is my chance to have a look at the men’s room…

DSC05239.jpg

I loved how the men’s room had the same style, but in a more masculine décor than the ladies’ room!

Above Palo/Remy is the sports area, so the stairwell leading up there had this lovely picture:

DSC05238.jpg

Walking back we came across Stateroom 5148 1/2:

DSC05242.jpg

This is Pepe’s stateroom. He was part of our Muppet Detective Adventure. We had to come back here at a later point in our adventure, but we just came across it now and I took the opportunity to take a picture.

And here a detail from the door:

DSC05243.jpg

Finally it was time to head back to our stateroom, it was getting really late and the only people still out besides us were CMs being busy cleaning the ship everywhere.

Back in our room we started to check out the offerings on the TV. The new ships have TV on demand and we had to investigate what they were offering. It seemed that they had more or less every Disney film imaginable. It was so nice to see what was there and to be able to watch at your schedule. They do have a lot of nice Disney films on the TV on the classic ships, but there it is kind of a continuous loop and you need to try to catch something in the right moment. Also, there is no real schedule available, so you have no idea when the right moment is.

I actually think they have fewer options in some ways than the older ships. It's just the on demand ability that people like. Instead of always walking in during part of Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin or Cars as I seemed to do on my last few cruises.

Michael got started on watching the new Mickey Mouse short films. I think I watched the first with him and then I was just falling asleep...

And I was lying there in the wonderfully comfy bed I just thought about how beautiful and amazing this ship was and whether I would ever be able to go back to the classic ships without feeling that those were the poor cousins of the Fantasy...

Up Next: Flying Bacon

Ok, what is so offensive? (But I agree, I would not want to eat his salads either!)

It just didn't appeal to me. And from a buffet you usually pick what you like for a salad….

So, how would you design a diaper add??? ;)

The last time I saw a diaper add (admittedly that was a long time ago) they didn't use the real stuff for demonstration but some blue liquid. So why not stick to a scientific presentation all the way - so no babies needed!

71 days - your countdown is off! But you are right! I better get working!!! :rolleyes1

I don't care, then it was 70 days until vacation. And you leave even one day earlier than me...

DSC05193.jpg

The bread was pretty good (and we got more “speciality bread” than standard rolls – that was one of my pet peeves on the Panama Canal cruise).

That was the first thing I noticed, even before I read your comment - at least they got enough of the specialty bread. I felt happy for you immediately!

Funny thing - or not so funny. But when I had my first look at this update yesterday night on my iPhone, I didn't recognize the grand piano. I just saw a big black shape I I thought it was someone in a huge evening gown!

And now I even noticed for the first time the mickey heads in the chandelier, although I had already seen pictures of it in other trip reports.

I had the Londinium which has gin, freshly muddled lemon, orange, mango puree and champagne. I really loved this drink!

DSC05214.jpg

Well, there you go: that's your REAL dessert!

And I was lying there in the wonderfully comfy bed I just thought about how beautiful and amazing this ship was and whether I would ever be able to go back to the classic ships without feeling that those were the poor cousins of the Fantasy...

But the company!

This cruise seems to be off on a good start! I hope the cabin turns out to have no hidden problems and then I think everything should be all right. I mean, we already know, there is enough bread and the food fits its decryption, there is mango on board and although no Jimmy neither the annoying guy as well….

another great update...makes me long for another Fantasy cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter