From the Sea to the World - Holiday Edition - Completed

As a Gold Castaway Club member he gets a 10% discount on all onboard merchandise

Now I remember why we are trying to take more cruises! Not only for the advance reservations, but the discount on the ships!

The fun thing in Skyline is that one wall looks like windows, but is actually screens. And you see the skyline of a different city every 12 minutes. It gives you the feeling as if you are in a bar on top of a high building looking out of the evening in your city.

I can't wait to see this!

It also assured the lack of an accidental brat (oh, did I say that? I meant angel!) clamoring on through.

:thumbsup2 I think I'm really going to enjoy meeting you two this summer!

I had heard people rave about how wonderful the servers area on the Disney ships and while we always had totally adequate servers, this was the first time that I felt we had that kind of service.

I think on our first and second cruises they were great, but our cruise on the Magic, the main server tried so hard to please everyone that our meals were laboriously slow. He also had some really annoying traits in the way he tried to bend over backward to please people.

Black Truffle Pasta Purseittes: Pasta Purse filled with Truffle scented Cheese and coated with a delicate Champagne Sauce

I know that there are people here on the DIS who love it, but I am not in that category.

I'm one of those people! I could make a meal of these!

The rest of your pictures are really making me want to just skip a cruise on the Dream and go right to the Fantasy. I'm really looking at rescheduling our canceled trip to include a cruise on the Fantasy and less time at WDW. Mid November with Itinerary A is sounding very appealing! Your pictures really make the ship look so beautiful! And I would love to spend a week dining at Palo and Remy all week!

Hey, I loved the time I got to spend with both of you! You're both pretty cool to me!!! :thumbsup2

Ah, thanks!! :flower3:

Oh so very diplomatic.

:thumbsup2

party: Congratulations, you're the first one to notice...........or at least mention it!!! :jumping1:

I would not have noticed it if not Katharina had commented on it. She is great at spotting things like that. And you don't need to be diplomatic about that! ;) She is the one who sees everything, I am the one who remembers everything. Together we are a great team! :thumbsup2

another great update...makes me long for another Fantasy cruise!

Thanks, and writing this trip report makes me want to go back on a Fantasy cruise as well!

It just didn't appeal to me. And from a buffet you usually pick what you like for a salad….

Yes, that's the point of a buffet I would think...

The last time I saw a diaper add (admittedly that was a long time ago) they didn't use the real stuff for demonstration but some blue liquid. So why not stick to a scientific presentation all the way - so no babies needed!

:rotfl2:That's a fun idea: use car board boxes instead of happy smiling babies for diaper adds!

I don't care, then it was 70 days until vacation. And you leave even one day earlier than me...

Well, today it is in any case less than 70 days! That means today in 10 weeks we are enjoying our first sea day, most likely the weather is going to be equally beautiful as today: slight drizzle and 6 degrees Celsius... :beach:

That was the first thing I noticed, even before I read your comment - at least they got enough of the specialty bread. I felt happy for you immediately!

I guess I am now know as the one who complains about the bread baskets!! :goodvibes And yes, I was very happy after the first inspection of the basket!

Funny thing - or not so funny. But when I had my first look at this update yesterday night on my iPhone, I didn't recognize the grand piano. I just saw a big black shape I I thought it was someone in a huge evening gown!

Since the new DIS makes the pictures smaller when you quote them, I can see why you made that mistake! But it would have been a ginormous ball gown!! :lmao:

And now I even noticed for the first time the mickey heads in the chandelier, although I had already seen pictures of it in other trip reports.

Those are really nice and subtle!

Well, there you go: that's your REAL dessert!

:thumbsup2 See, you get it!

But the company!

Of course the company will be fabulous on my next cruise!! And the classic ships also have the advantage of cruising in more interesting areas...

This cruise seems to be off on a good start! I hope the cabin turns out to have no hidden problems and then I think everything should be all right. I mean, we already know, there is enough bread and the food fits its decryption, there is mango on board and although no Jimmy neither the annoying guy as well….

I think that is a pretty good summary! You left out the pretty bars though!

Now I remember why we are trying to take more cruises! Not only for the advance reservations, but the discount on the ships!

If you want to do a lot of shopping (and I kind of suspect that your traveling companion might be interested in that... :rolleyes1) then it is indeed a nice perk. However, no discount in the shops on Castaway Cay.

I can't wait to see this!

The adult area on the new ships is really very beautiful! Hope you get to see it soon!

:thumbsup2 I think I'm really going to enjoy meeting you two this summer!

:rotfl2: I am really looking forward to meeting you! And I already told Michael that I think you and he will have lots to talk about!

I think on our first and second cruises they were great, but our cruise on the Magic, the main server tried so hard to please everyone that our meals were laboriously slow. He also had some really annoying traits in the way he tried to bend over backward to please people.

I think the job those servers have to do is really hard. Besides being pretty stressful and challenging to get everyone's food on time, they need to please very diverse people who have different preferences in what their server should be like. It really requires great people skills to read different people, respond to them in a foreign language (at least for many servers) and in a different cultural setting from the one they are used to. And at the same time a large part of your income and your career options depend on the passengers to give you tips and an excellent rating at the end of the cruise. I would not survive one single cruise in that job!

I'm one of those people! I could make a meal of these!

I usually love truffle pasta. But maybe I am spoiled and like to have more truffle... :goodvibes

I think however that we share the love of the Grand Marnier soufflee on DCL?

The rest of your pictures are really making me want to just skip a cruise on the Dream and go right to the Fantasy. I'm really looking at rescheduling our canceled trip to include a cruise on the Fantasy and less time at WDW. Mid November with Itinerary A is sounding very appealing! Your pictures really make the ship look so beautiful! And I would love to spend a week dining at Palo and Remy all week!

I know we talked about this already a bit, but in my opinion the longer cruises are just so much more relaxing! And the Eastern Caribbean is really beautiful. Itinerary A is with St Maarten and St Thomas? We both loved our excursion to St John (more to come soon), but I don't think it would be possible to take the scooter along. It did not involve a lot of walking, but it might be too much for Fran. But I am sure there are other options!

Flying Bacon

November 30

Today was our first of three sea days on this cruise. I love sea days. The tag fairy (which is now out of her job due to the new DIS software) even gave me the tag that I still kept (I got rid of the one implying that I am very old, which I am not!!).

So, I had high hopes to enjoy this day. Unfortunately my enjoyment started a bit earlier than I had planned. After our late night the evening before, I intended to sleep in, but was awake at 8am. Anyone who read one of my previous cruise reports knows that this is not a time that Michael would ever think about getting up on a cruise. So, I let him sleep and packed my stuff and left him behind to go in search of some breakfast.

Already during the night I had noticed that we had quite some wave action going on. And this morning while I was waking up and found out that I was too awake to go back to sleep, I was really enjoying the gentle rocking of my bed. Our cabin was pretty far towards the front of the ship and on a high floor, so it was expected to be a location that had more movement than previous cruises. But I quickly found out that the rocking of my bed was not only due to the location of the stateroom, but because the seas were pretty wild! There were definite white foam tops on the waves out there. Alwas a sign of seas being a bit rough.

Spoiler alert:
this was the precursor to feeling movement even when there was none. Like even six days later in Orlando, the ground still felt like it was moving. It never made me ill or anything, but was bothersome. And since I hadn't felt that way in over a decade at sea (that includes many transatlantic cruises and our Panama Canal voyage)I really don't know why that was. The seas weren't smooth, but they weren't what I'd term rough either. It was never unpleasant while onboard. It was unpleasant when everything from EPCOT to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at UNI seemed to be gently rocking under my feet!

My breakfast destination was Cabanas. My goal was to catch one of those outside tables and enjoy a breakfast with a view. That had been one of my favourite things to do on the Wonder.

The food selection for breakfast was wonderful and I had a hard time choosing. I can't tell you what I got, most likely a waffle and some bacon. Well, at least I know there was bacon involved. Once I had fought against the crazy crowds (it was not that crowded, but people were running in this direction and that and that just added to the chaos), I was ready to head outside. There were plenty of tables open as I could see through the windows. I opened the door and realised that there was a reason for it to be so empty outside. It was quite windy... I selected a great table with a view and sat down. I got out my kindle, got my tea bag out of my tea and suddenly I see my bacon flying away from me!! The wind had caught it and blew it over the deck. I quickly secured the left over bacon with my cutlery. And then I saw that there was no chance that I would be able to eat my food without half of it ending up somewhere else on that outside deck. I took my place and went back inside where I found a nice place and enjoyed my food. However, I still had not become a fan of Cabanas. For whatever reason it seemed so much more crowded than Beach Blanket Buffet had been on our two Wonder cruises on sea days. No idea why that was the case.

After breakfast I wandered around on the deck a bit. Here is the main pool:

DSC05258.jpg

I looked into the Cove Cafe - I really missed the Outlook Cafe here. The Outlook Cafe on the Wonder is a great extension of the Cove Cafe and makes the whole space look more inviting, less closed in. However, the Cove Cafe is beautiful:

DSC05256.jpg

DSC05257.jpg

I saw that next to the case with the breakfast pastries they had something that kept things warm in it and I asked about it. The CM told me that the thing had warm croissants in it and offered one to me. I was very tempted, but just had breakfast. But I made a mental note that this was an option. They sounded delicious and that was something I had never seen on the Wonder!

I then decided to head down to deck 4 to sit in a deckchair and read. On the way there I came across D Lounge where we had the DVC meeting the day before and took a picture of the room:

DSC05262.jpg

And then I was disappointed: Deck 4 was closed because of the strong winds! Well, I thought I knew the perfect alternative: I had read about the Fantasy having an aditional adult area all the way forward on the top deck. This sounded like a wonderful sport to sit and read and enjoy a view of the seas.

On the way there I took a picture of the adult pool area from above:

DSC05263.jpg

If you think it looks small and closed on in on the picture, you are right. It is exactly that. This is the one feature on the Fantasy where I think they made a mistake. The asult pool on the Wonder is far superior to the one on the Fantasy. And to me the reason for this design flaw is that they put an additional two floors of concierge staterooms at the front of the ship. Those take up a lot of the space that on the Wonder was available for the adult area. But I guess an adult pool does not earn them nearly as much money as those concierge staterooms do.

The adult pool is on deck 11, I was on deck 12 and ventured further up. On one side of deck 11 above the adult pool is this tiny dipping pool:

DSC05264.jpg

On the other side is a bar and one of the smoking areas. This is one of the bar sitting areas, I think on the non-smoking side.

DSC05265.jpg

I went up one more deck to deck 13 and tried to make my way to the front. But once again there was a sign that this area was closed due to the weather... I had to find another alternative. Finally I found a really nice spot close to the adult pool.

DSC05266.jpg

See the bar in this picture? Behind it were two rows of deck chairs looking out over the sea and I found one in the first row with a wonderful view and settled in there with a drink and enjoyed my book!

I also took one picture of one of the quick service windows on the pool deck:

DSC05267.jpg

After quite some while I decided that it was time for Michael to enjoy his cruise in other ways besides sleeping (to be fair, with all the stress he had the weeks before the cruise, he really needed sleep, even more than usual).

Our first activity together was to go to lunch. We decided to give Royal Court a try as this was the restaurant that served table service lunch and this was something which we had enjoyed a lot during our previous cruises.

Michael got the vegetable quesadila as a starter and the appetizer salad:

DSC05270.jpg

DSC05272.jpg

My notes say that he thought that the quesadila was excellent.

I had the Mango Soup as a starter:

DSC05271.jpg

I love those fruit soups they offer on the cruise ships and this one was excellent. After the previous day's mango disappointment, this lived up to our eat everything with mango rule.

I also had the chicken salad:

DSC05273.jpg

This was very good as well.

Michael then got a Key Lime Pie for dessert and really loved it:

DSC05274.jpg

My trip notes say that it was the best pie he ever had on a cruise ship.

Yes. This was an excellent dessert. Sadly, an aberration.

So, all in all lunch was a success and we once again found the food to be notably better than on the Wonder. Michael even liked dessert!

We also had a really nice server from Thailand who chatted with us during the meal. At first he tried a little to convince us to order more food, but we told him about our Panama Canal cruise and how we felt that we needed to pace us a little and not overeat in the beginning already. We then had an interesting conversation about eating healthy and he obviously felt very strongly about it. It was clear that he only shared it with us because we were interested in it and kept the conversation going. But it was also a bit bizarre as he definitely works in an environment where the business model is to stuff the guests and let them order as many entrees as they want.

Before we left the restaurant I had to document it:

DSC05275.jpg

DSC05276.jpg

DSC05278.jpg

DSC05279.jpg

The following picture is a lucky accident. I was trying to catch as many of the different murals the restaurant has of the different princesses. And when I took a picture of Snow White, I had no idea that I was actually taking a picture of our table at Royal Court. See the table in the middle of the picture. That's where we had dinner the following night:

DSC05280.jpg

DSC05281.jpg

DSC05282.jpg

DSC05283.jpg

DSC05284.jpg

DSC05285.jpg

DSC05286.jpg

After lunch we headed to the shops. This was a much better time for a relaxed shopping experience! And we did take some time to browse in depth. In one of the shops we started talking to a CM whose name was Craig and he was from Scotland. Michael loved a talk show by Scottish guy called Craig Ferguson (which no longer exists I understand) and asked this Craig if he knew of this talk show host. Our Craig had no idea whom Michael was talking about. Which confused Michael. But then I guess the CM Craig does not get to watch a lot of American TV on the Fantasy and certainly not when he has time off and is back home in Scotland... But talking to Craig then led to the question where we were from and when I said I was from Germany, he made a point to introduce us to this shop's manager Tim who was form Germany as well. And even from Southern Germany, so nearly kind of my area! We talked to Tim for quite a while about cruising and the cruise line industry and certain lines that were now trying to specifically target the German market.

It is very odd that everyone I meet from Scotland seems to have no idea who Craig Ferguson is. If you don't, he's been the host of The Late Late Show on CBS from 2005 until last December. Quite irreverent and amusing. I was sad to see him quit. Still, odd that Craig from Scotland didn't know him. For folks who watched The Drew Carey Show when ABC ran it, he played Drew's boss.

At one point while we were hanging out in the shop talking to Craig and Tim someone inquired about the price of a pin that was not marked. They checked it in their register and it turned out that the pin was heavily discounted. It was a 2014 Disney Cruise Line pin. So, Craig started to get all these pins and mark them with the new reduced price. I thought it was interesting that they only found out by their cash register ringing it up for less. Of course Michael and I jumped at the opportunity and each got one of those pins. Since we had cruised twice in 2014 they were fitting souvenirs!

Yes, who knew that they'd then wind up at my local Disney outlet store for the same price and last a good two months? But at least we got them and paid what the pins are basically worth -- about $3.

I also got a DCL Christmas mug with the "Very Merrytime Cruises" artwork they had on all kind of different merchandise. And then I did something which I never thought I would do: I bought a DCL vinylmation figurine!! It is a Donald and he is just so cute...

After a very successful shopping outing, it was time for some pool time!

Up Next: A Relaxing Sea Day

I think Clayton is still my favourite Cruise Director. I am glad to read that he is back on the ships. He was based on land for a while.

I love the sound of the cocktail passport and those cocktails sounded delicious.

I belong to the people who absolutely love the Pasta Pursettes.

What a shame that the weather threw a spanner in the works on the first sea day.

I have had a couple of very wild cruises, but the only time I had issues with me feeling movement for a week after being back on dry land was after our Transatlantic, which was the smoothest cruise we ever had.

I suddenly really want to try out the Fantasy.

Corinna

It looks like the butter knives at Artist's Palette are shaped like paint brushes...how cool!

Along the way I found a very impressive piece of art:

DSC05212.jpg

This art piece reminds me of Gustav Klimt's work, which I came to admire when we visited Vienna.

And then I realised that there was no one around and I became curious and thought that now is my chance to have a look at the men’s room…

DSC05239.jpg

I'm shocked! I can't believe that you went into the men's room! But I'm sure that it was only out of dedication to your faithful trip report followers that you felt it necessary to do this.

I got out my kindle, got my tea bag out of my tea and suddenly I see my bacon flying away from me!! The wind had caught it and blew it over the deck.

Are you familiar with the American expression, "when pigs fly"? :laughing:

I'm dying to try the adult areas on Dream, esp the Champagne Bar. You AP food looked tasty, I actually had the same salad. Loved the figs and the dressing was fantastic, just wish I was more of an arugula person! I must try that London... martini, looks great! I tried gin for the first time during Mixology and was well impressed! That adult pool does look a bit small, too bad it was windy out! I def agree about pacing yourself. I'm a huge salad person but ate so much (and drank :rolleyes1) on my trip! I must have walked a ton though because I lost 5 pounds, crazy! Looking forward to more!

The fun thing in Skyline is that one wall looks like windows, but is actually screens. And you see the skyline of a different city every 12 minutes.

I remember hearing about that feature and thinking it was a really neat idea. Sounds like a great atmosphere.

It was Florence. The CMs were really surprised when I told them my guess and they said that I was the first person ever to guess this one correctly.

Nice work!

And yes, they obviously both have an Eiffel Tower (no, not really…).

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Do you notice something?? The picture fits the description!!!

Will wonders ever cease?!:faint:

So, my theory is that by doubling the galley entry points, the congestion for the servers when they get food is less and hence service can be quicker

I'm sure they learned some lessons like that from the Wonder and the Magic.

Gorgeous photo!

And we started to realize that the whole idea of “getting the Fantasy out of our system” by going on one cruise on her was not really going to work…

Uh oh. Disney strikes again...

Another great one!

And then I realised that there was no one around and I became curious and thought that now is my chance to have a look at the men’s room…

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I was looking at the women's bathroom to see if I could discover the secret that makes them all go in groups.:rotfl:

But I quickly found out that the rocking of my bed was not only due to the location of the stateroom, but because the seas were pretty wild! There were definite white foam tops on the waves out there. Alwas a sign of seas being a bit rough.

I remember that feeling! If I'd had a dollar for everyone who had told me, "Oh, you'll never feel anything on those ships..."

If you think it looks small and closed on in on the picture, you are right. It is exactly that.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the adult pool. Very tiny.

Michael then got a Key Lime Pie for dessert and really loved it:

Looks delicious!

I was trying to catch as many of the different murals the restaurant has of the different princesses.

I love the artwork. Thanks for posting all of those photos.

I thought it was interesting that they only found out by their cash register ringing it up for less.

Hey, whatever works!

I think Clayton is still my favourite Cruise Director. I am glad to read that he is back on the ships. He was based on land for a while.

I had no idea that there are land based cruise directors!! What do they do on land? Organize the entertainment? And I think Michael agrees with you about Clayton.

I love the sound of the cocktail passport and those cocktails sounded delicious.

Yes, that's a great perk! I think they should offer something like that for other bars as well. While we got a discount, I think we spent more money in the bar than we would have otherwise.

I belong to the people who absolutely love the Pasta Pursettes.

Yes, I know, you are a large group of PPLs (Pasta Pursettes Lovers)!

What a shame that the weather threw a spanner in the works on the first sea day.

At least it was not as rainy as our first day after the canal transit in May!

I have had a couple of very wild cruises, but the only time I had issues with me feeling movement for a week after being back on dry land was after our Transatlantic, which was the smoothest cruise we ever had.

Interesting... I had a little bit of trouble after all my cruises so far, but usually it was gone after two days.

I suddenly really want to try out the Fantasy.

Sorry! But you really should!!! I was not expecting loving this ship so much!

It looks like the butter knives at Artist's Palette are shaped like paint brushes...how cool!

Yes, there are some really cute table accessories on the ship! They sell those knives in the shops on the ship (for a crazy price).

This art piece reminds me of Gustav Klimt's work, which I came to admire when we visited Vienna.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought as well! And it is very fitting. The theme of the Fantasy is Art Nouveau (the Dream is more Art Deco) and that is exactly what Vienna at his time was famous for!

I'm shocked! I can't believe that you went into the men's room! But I'm sure that it was only out of dedication to your faithful trip report followers that you felt it necessary to do this.

Exactly! And I learned from the best: @Steppesister

Are you familiar with the American expression, "when pigs fly"? :laughing:

Yes, I have!! I am glad that there was not a whole pig flying around though! That would have been scary!!

I'm dying to try the adult areas on Dream, esp the Champagne Bar.

The adult area is one reason why I really hope that the Dream will start longer cruises soon, so I get to go on her. I think the Dream adult area looks really great, too, especially the Champagne bar there (is it Pink?).

I must try that London... martini, looks great!

If you are going on the Dream, I am not sure they have the same drinks there!

I tried gin for the first time during Mixology and was well impressed!

Gin can be a bit of an acquired taste. A classic Martini, which is gin with vermouth (and it depends on how dry your Martini is as to how little vermouth is in it, some say you just need to put the bottle next to the glass for a second), can be pretty harsh. I love gin, but that is even a bit too much for me. One of my favorite drinks is gin and tonic though. I spent one year at university in London and that was my standard drink there!

I'm a huge salad person but ate so much (and drank :rolleyes1) on my trip! I must have walked a ton though because I lost 5 pounds, crazy!

Oh, I am so envious!!! I never managed to lose weight on vacation!!! But this time I was actually pleased with myself: three weeks only caused three pounds, but then once I was back I fell right into the Christmas eating season and my January weight was not at all anything to be happy about...

I remember hearing about that feature and thinking it was a really neat idea. Sounds like a great atmosphere.

Since then there has been done so much more with modern technology on cruise ships. The new Anthem of the Seas from Royal Caribbean even has Kuka arm bartenders!

At least one person got the joke!!

Will wonders ever cease?!:faint:

Yes, it was a Fantasy come true!! ;)

I'm sure they learned some lessons like that from the Wonder and the Magic.

Oh, one would hope that they take all the previous experience into account when designing a new ship!

Gorgeous photo!

Thanks!

Uh oh. Disney strikes again...

Yes. They are mean in that way!

Another great one!

Michael was making fun of me when I took it as I was lying down in the middle of the atrium to take it.

:lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

I was looking at the women's bathroom to see if I could discover the secret that makes them all go in groups.:rotfl:

No secret, just common sense...

I remember that feeling! If I'd had a dollar for everyone who had told me, "Oh, you'll never feel anything on those ships..."

:rotfl2: Michael has been on a lot of cruises and he kept complaining and saying that this was far more movement than there should be. He suspected the ship saving fuel and not using the stabilizers, I think the wind was really that bad.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the adult pool. Very tiny.

I hope when they build the new class of ships they will learn from that mistake. Actually, they learned already from the Dream and on the Fantasy they added another adult water feature on the top deck where I could not get to that day because of the wind.

I love the artwork. Thanks for posting all of those photos.

I love how it is Disney without being cartoonish!

Hey, whatever works!

And it saved us some money! :thumbsup2

I had no idea that there are land based cruise directors!! What do they do on land? Organize the entertainment?

I think so as well as training prospective cruise staff before they join the ships.

Sorry! But you really should!!! I was not expecting loving this ship so much!

We were just always worried that they are just too big for our liking and for Graham the absence of a decent adult pool is a big deal.

Corinna

We were just always worried that they are just too big for our liking and for Graham the absence of a decent adult pool is a big deal.

I was scared about the size as well and fully expected to be one of those who prefer the cosy classic ships. But the size did not bother me at all. I never felt considerably more crowded than on the Wonder. I think there were occasions on the PC cruise when the Wonder felt more crowded because all the adults were in the same space. However, our Fantasy sailing was not full! I remember that I asked and I think they said that there were 3600 passengers or so. I guess that would be around 85% capacity? But then you would not sail during peak season either.

On the adult pool: Yes, it is tiny and I missed the open feeling the adult pool on the Wonder/Magic has. But we spent quite some time at the pools, mainly later in the afternoon. And often the pool was not full at all and I really liked it! I remember one afternoon (maybe even early evening, we might have skipped the show) when I was even on my own in the pool and I enjoyed that it was such a wave pool! I remember that the two of you tend to hang out at the pool during the off times as well. And then the pool can really be quite lovely - just as the hot tub with a view!

A Relaxing Sea Day

We headed up to the pool area and enjoyed some time in the water and outside of the water. When we got there it was still very crowded, but it got better during the course of the afternoon. Even though we were able to relax, I am still no fan of that area on the Fantasy as I mentioned before.

The it was time to go back to the stateroom in time to get ready for Formal Night.

At least people seem to be getting the idea about dressing for formal night. I've had some experiences where people think it's fine to walk into the dining room on FNs dressed like they're going to Epcot on a summer's day. I don't care how much you've paid for your cruise as I've paid either the same or close. I'd love to go out on deck sans clothes (OK, I'm lying ... just trying to 'splain something), but I don't because spending a certain amount of money doesn't mean you should be able to flout the rules. You want to wear shorts on Formal Night when I've lugged a suit or tux with me? Fine get your butt upstairs to Cabanas or one of the quick serve places.

We went to the show which was Aladdin today. This is very similar to the show they have at DCA in Anaheim. Which Michael has seen often enough, I however had never seen it. We both enjoyed the DCL version. I thought the story was shortened in a bit of a strange way. But then I had watched Aladdin recently on DVD and therefore remembered the story very well. All in all, I really enjoyed it because it was a show which told a story, not just a collection of Disney songs.

It is very similar to the DCA production and is fantastic. I may be biased as Aladdin is one of all-time favorite Disney animated features and I was lucky enough to be a VIP invitee for the premiere of the DCA show back in 2003 (wow, does time fly!) But, to me, this is one of Disney's best shows at sea and is a don't miss for anything! If only they'd replace that dog, Toy Story, on the Wonder with this amazing show then I'd be as happy as Magdalene when Jimmy stops to chat with her!

After the show I wanted to go to the Captain's Reception. On formal night there is an event in the Atrium before each dinner seating where they give you free drinks (and that's a pretty good reason to go there!). But during the Panama Canal cruise I had started to enjoy talking to the officers and finding out interesting things about the ship. So, I thought this would be fun to do. Normally I HATE having to do small talk during receptions with strangers. But I guess knowing that it is part of the officers job to be there to talk to guests makes me less self conscious. And of course there is already a good topic to talk about: The ship and the cruise. We ended up chatting for quite a bit with the Food and Beverage Manager and the Head Chef about preparing the food for so many people. They more or less confirmed that with the newer technology on the new ships they are able to server better quality food than on the older ships.

Was this when we met the French chef from Remy as well? ...

No, we only saw him briefly before our meal there. You watched some show on our stateroom TV where he was being interviewed and there he had a translator as he was speaking French. I am not sure how we would have chatted with him since neither of us is really able to carry a conversation in French...

I had hoped to speak with the head of HR on the Fantasy as we met her on the Magic when on our TA in 2010. And I think M does small talk just fine, maybe not as good as her cooler sister Katharina or as I call her Bucky (yes, that's her nickname and I mean it with lots of love because I'd be afraid to anger her). She may be mild-mannered here, but I wouldn't want to get her angry. Side note: You haven't lived until you've made Rice Krispie treats on a 10-degree day in Berlin with these two lovely sisters!

I had also thought about maybe getting a picture taken. However, the lines were really long! Especially the line in front of the Christmas tree. So, no pictures for us.

I am still disappointed that DCL didn't do a version of the Osborne Lights at sea!

Then it was time to head to dinner. We were in Enchanted Garden tonight. This restaurant has a garden theme and is very light. We both really liked it a lot.

The place setting:

DSC05287.jpg

We were served some really nice bread:

DSC05288.jpg

And read the menu:

DSC05289.jpg

Michael started the meal with the Heirloom Tomato Soup with Sour Cream, Croutons, and Basil:

DSC05290.jpg

He said the soup was very good.

I had the Ahi Tuna and Avocado Tower with Crispy Noodles and Wasabi Dressing

DSC05291.jpg

I really loved this dish. But I generally love tuna. Combined with avocado it was just delicious.

The we both had a salad. Michael got the Romaine Wedge: fresh crisp Romaine topped with a creamy Romano Dressing and homemade spiced Croutons. This was not a surprised - I think I mentioned it already that he loves wedge salads:

DSC05292.jpg

This was another success and was declared very good.

I had the Spinach and Raspberry Salad: tender Spinach tossed with fresh Raspberries, toasted Pine Nuts, and crumbled Gorgonzola and a Raspberry Vinaigrette:

DSC05293.jpg

My salad was really delicious as well.

Once again, one of the things I noted was that the fancy descriptions did fit to the dishes that were delivered. On the Wonder it seemed like the dishes were not really living up to their descriptions, but here they did. Both salads seemed really fresh and well prepared and did not appear as if they had been sitting around for quite some while before being served.

For his main course Michael chose the Slow Roasted Prime Rib, Thyme-roasted Vegetables, Double-baked Potato, Horseradish, and Natural Jus:

DSC05294.jpg

He said that this was the best prime rib he ever had on any Disney cruise ship. And prime rib is another one of those dishes that he likes to order if they are on the menu, so he had his fair share of prim ribs in the past.

I really don't recall the meal right now, only that I it was very, very, very good. ... The food just tasted fresher and less mass produced than what I have had on the older ships. Across the board, it was better than the Wonder, except for the desserts.

I went with something a bit unusual for me, I chose a fish! I eat fish, but often prefer meat and there are some things out of the sea which I am not fond of at all. My choice was the Pan-seared Sea Bass With Saffron and Fennel Risotto with a Sweet Chili Glaze:

DSC05295.jpg

I am not sure that there was fennel in the risotto that was on the menu, but this is the only description I can find online. I usually hate fennel, so I am surprised that I should have ordered that. From the pictures it looks like a pea risotto and fennel on top of the fish, so easily removable. But I know that I had the sea bass and loved it. It was perfectly cooked and not to dry at all. I also thought that the risotto went very well with the fish.

For dessert we got a new menu:

DSC05296.jpg

I am not sure if I had anything, but I know that I had a cup of coffee and Meible, our lovely assistant server brought be a large cup!

DSC05297.jpg

Michael had the date pudding for dessert:

DSC05298.jpg

This was very good again. And maybe I had one as well. I just don't know...

And after dinner we were served some candy for the end of the meal:

DSC05299.jpg

This was a nice touch!

During the course of our meal the dining room had transformed from daytime to night and it was very understated, but still very pretty. All in all we really enjoyed this meal a lot!

We thought about going for a walk, but it was still so windy outside that deck 4 was closed off. The whole day the ship had been reallly rocking a lot! So instead we walked around the ship on the inside and I decided to check out a spot that I had read about: The Outlook. Not to be confused with the one on the Wonder, on the newer ship this is a small space all the way on the top of the ship on deck 14 (I think). It is the highest you can get as a passenger. We found it and it was empty. It really is a shame that they are not really using this space for anything...

DSC05300.jpg

DSC05304.jpg

and proof that we were all the way on the top:

DSC05306.jpg

Afterwards we thought that we would check out the adult evening entertainment which was a band called Atlantic City Boys. They were quite good, but I was getting so tired that I was falling asleep during their show listening to the music. So I told Michael that I was going to be and that's what I did. I think I was asleep before I returned to our stateroom...

I was hoping they'd do more Four Seasons/Jersey Boys music. I'm guessing they did this in their regular show that we wound up skipping as they did everything from the Beach Boys to ... other stuff.

Up Next: Snacking around the Ship

Following along now! I've read your other TRs before and quite enjoyed them (I may or may not have commented, memory isn't helping me right now!) and I'm on board for this one! We sailed the Fantasy on our honeymoon and had the same rotation as you (and same cruise director!) so this is bringing back all kinds of memories for me. Can't wait for more!

Love your trip reports!! I have been lurking (and getting inspired) for a while and finally signed up. Can't wait to read your Scandinavian report and hope you have fun!

Exactly! And I learned from the best: @Steppesister

And she was after something in particular...

IMG_4145.jpg

Hey! You know it, boys and girls! I should have a "special" tour, during my next trip. You know, to raise funds and awareness. I might even have to hand out FastPasses for the really prime attractions, like this one so beautifully displayed above.

:lmao:

Good gravy, this still makes me laugh hysterically whenever I see it. I mean how many margaritas must have been consumed to even have CONTEMPLATED putting that in a public restroom?! At DISNEY of all places. I'd travel 1,000 miles to see that over and over.... because well, I mean, just wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter