From the Sea to the World - Holiday Edition - Completed

Continuing the Cruise Pattern: Dinner and Show

And then it was time for our lunch reservation. This was a “special” reservation as we had a Candlelight Processional package. This means that we would eat lunch and then we would receive tickets for preferred seating for the Candlelight Processional show that is held three times every evening at Epcot during the Christmas season.

Our choice was the Biergarten in Germany for this package. Partly because we had really enjoyed it on our last visit, but also because it was the least expensive of the options.

We also thought that it was a style of food that we would not get on the cruise.

The Biergarten has long tables that are set up in a crescent shape around a “town square” with a stage. All tables are for 8, so if your group is smaller, you share a table. We ended up at a table very close to the stage, not the best view:

DSC05988.jpg

We shared the table with a group of 6 people, one seemed to be a family friend who was currently on the College program. It kind of was not the best combination: one large group and us as a couple. But we knew that something like that could happen. However, after not such a great placement last time either, I think Biergarten now is a restaurant that will only be visited if I am part of a group of at least 4 people.

Yes. Dining here can be a challenge. You wind up with strangers and even if they're friendly, and this group was, it's awkward. I also really like this restaurant. But between having a cold and having just gone from Thanksgiving to a week on a cruise ship I'm not sure a buffet was a great choice for meal No. 1 at WDW!

There were some lovely Christmas decorations, unfortunately I missed out a bit with pictures, but managed to remember just before we left:

DSC05991.jpg

But you want food pictures!

Michael’s first plate had lots of salads:

DSC05984.jpg

I tried all the different sausage offerings:

DSC05985.jpg

I really was a bit disappointed as in my opinion they had cut down in variety quite a lot. We were there the last time for lunch as well and I remember there being far more selection in sausages and cold cuts as compared to this time.

Yes, They did. But many extra choices appeared as we were having desserts. Yes, they are dinner selections. But there's nothing stopping a late luncher from partaking in them either. We didn't since we were pretty much done by then.

But they still has the delicious cheese and beer soup:

DSC05986.jpg

I got seconds – including more soup!

DSC05990.jpg

The small sausage at around 1 and 2 o’clock was really delicious!

I know we had desserts, but I seem to have failed on the picture taking…

Outside I took some pictures of the German Christmas market area:

DSC05992.jpg

DSC05993.jpg

Michael did not feel that well and thought he should take some ibuprofen. I was wondering where we could buy some in Epcot, but Michael knew where to get it: at the First Aid Station! I had no idea, but we were able to get him a few pills there. Very convenient!

If only I could get my crystal meth there too! But alas ... ;-)

Once we had done that, it was time to get to the area for the Candlelight Processional. The First Aid Station is in the building called the Odyssey Building. It is the strangely shaped building kind of between Test Track and Mexico in the middle of the lake there. It used to be the home of a counter service restaurant called Odyssey. The CP was held at the theater outside the American pavilion. So, we thought the obvious way to get there would be to go past Mexico, Norway, China, Germany. No. We found out that that was stupid when we got to the theater. The line for the CP dining package ticket holder was only to the side that goes from the American pavilion towards Japan, France etc. So, we had to continue walking to find the end of the line. And we kept walking and walking and walking. By then the line was moving in our direction already. Since it was moving quickly it also already had started to really frazzle out. It seemed less of a line than just people walking in that direction. We thought that we would never find a real end of the line if people who came from the other side of the World Showcase would just kind of walk up to the end of the line and decided to just join in. Wow, were people getting angry at us!! So we stepped out again thinking that this was really getting stupid (we were getting close to the International Gateway by then!). Kind of 30 people after the people who had shouted at us, there was finally a more obvious end of the line, so I really don’t understand what these people had been so outraged about. They really could not have been standing in line for ages…

Remember when I mentioned I can be quite angry and aggressive with strangers? I came very close when we were yelled at like simple line-cutters. I'm sorry, but if Disney can't organize a line properly and some people are headed to a show and others are simply walking the World Showcase Promenade, then just how are people supposed to know who is who. And it's not like there's assigned seating. Even if we accidentally got in front of two dozen people, we didn't measurably decrease the quality of their viewing experience.

Well, we then walked all the way back to the American pavilion where we were herded into the theater. People were rushing around like crazy and it was really already very full. By the way, that was with showing up over 30 minutes before show time!!

We found a spot and then moved a few seats as the spot we had found was already inhabited by some ants and we did not feel like becoming close friends with them.

This was our view:

DSC05994.jpg

They kept trying to get more and more people into the theater and I think another family finally moved in with the ants because the CMs were very pushy about filling up all available space. In my opinion ant space is not available space. But they seemed to be able to deal with that…

I tried to get a CM lead's attention and she just rudely ignored me. So, we sat and people walked past us and had a chance to have ants in their pants. Some days ... well, you can't save the world, so why try?

After some more waiting the show finally started and I realized why it was called a “Processional” – the singers all had a procession walking up on stage!

DSC05996.jpg

As you can see, at the first show of the evening it is still light outside when it starts. It got dark during the show and I actually enjoyed that change of the light as the show progressed.

The CP consists of the choirs (local school choirs in yellow, CM choir in green) and the singers from the Voices of Liberty performing various carols. And then there is a celebrity narrator who reads the Christmas story. Our celebrity was Whoopi Goldberg. She was the reason why we got a reservation for that specific day. All the other celebrities for the rest of my stay night be celebrated in the US, but they were rather unknown to me. And I really like Whoopi Goldberg. So that was perfect!

Except that it was very warm out, so much so that Whoopi mentioned it. The joys of paradise. And I like the woman as well.

DSC05999.jpg

(bad zoom on my tiny camera with low light, this is the best I can offer!)

DSC06002.jpg

All in all the show was very enjoyable and I am glad that I have done it. However, this is really not a must repeat for me. I think I might have enjoyed it more if it had been full of Christmas carols that I am familiar with. I knew some that they performed (Oh Come, All Ye Faithful has a German version and of course I am familiar with Silent Night), but most where foreign to me.

On a later visit to Epcot, I realized that you could easily hear and see a lot of it by just being in the walkway behind the theater. And I think I would be perfectly fine with that. Listening to the beautiful music I don’t need to see every single performer.

Michael and I continued on our tour around the World Showcase afterwards, browsed through the store in Japan. I love that store and could spend a fortune in there! I really need to travel to Japan – just for the souvenirs I could buy there!!

While we were there, a friend of Michael met up with us. We continued on to France where we all got treats. Michael had some ice cream, I had some champagne and our friend had ice cream in a warm brioche. Here it is being made:

DSC06005-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

He was not too convinced that this was a wonderful combination though.

These were Michael’s and my treats:

DSC06007.jpg

Some more shopping around in France:

DSC06009.jpg

And then I forced everyone to wait for the next showing of the film in France. Those World Showcase films are attractions that I haven’t done a lot, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity. I really enjoyed the film!

I started to realize that I needed some dinner at some point. And somehow we thought we would find something tasty at Sunshine Seasons in the Land Pavilion. However, it was getting late and the selection was not that great. I finally picked a veggie sandwich:

DSC06010.jpg

It could have been really good, but somehow it just did not really work for me that evening. But it prevented me from being too hungry later on.

Worst meal of the WDW visit, really. I just had veggie soup and a side salad (that wound up back in the villa and had as a snack the next day or maybe two days later.) The soup tasted like it came out of a can. The salad was ordinary. You can get a better one at Wendy's for $1.49

After dinner we headed out to catch Illuminations. During the Christmas period Epcot is open until 9:30pm, so Illumination was at 9:30pm. I liked it that the park was open longer!

I was annoyed that my favourite spot to watch it from is now take over as a FP+ area and dessert party area. I loved the space just at the front of World Showcase when you come over the bridge from Future World between the two shops. We were standing behind that area. The view was not perfect, but it had the huge advantage of a speedy park exit after the fireworks. Illuminations gets a special additional ending during the Christmas season and I really liked that a lot!

After the show we quickly walked out to our bus stop and were lucky to quickly get on a bus which also left before it was too full as the next one was already pulling up. This was a nice bus ride back to the resort. Once back we finally started to unpack our stuff… It really was a very long day, but I enjoyed it a lot!

Up Next: Michael Throws Me Out

What a long and exciting day!
We have never been at Octoberfest in Epcot - they usually have DJ Ötzi blaring, which really turns me off. :crazy2:

What an unorganized line for the CP - when we did it in 2009 they had everything roped off.
And you stayed for Illuminations as well, wow! Well thought about the spot though as it helps to have a quick "escape" route once the fireworks are over.

The thread that Michael mentioned, which got him interested in SSR is this one: The Beauty of Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

Thanks, I will check it out when I get a minute.

Ah, I have the fitbit one which I carry in my pocket or on my bra. I would not want anything around my arm!

I have the Fitbit Flex and this works great for me.

It seemed that they were quite happy that it was something so simple. I have read quite a few horror stories here on the DIS about people having all kind of troubles.

I know that when I was last at Walt Disney World, they were still testing, but for me every time I tried to use Fastpass+, the Mickey head turned blue. During that holiday, the only time it did work is when I changed a Fastpass+ on short notice.

It absolutely is! This was my overall favorite season at Epcot. It even beat the Flower and Garden Festival. And since I now have two seasons that I love, there is no reason to ever return for Food and Wine!

I have yet to make it to the Flower and Garden Festival. That was planned for this year, but never happened. I love the holiday season and I love the Food and Wine Festival. I can't wait to get back for this in autumn.

It seems that no one here in Germany knows anything about a tradition of hiding pickles on the Christmas tree...

I had a heated discussion about this with a cast member at the German pavilion in 2012. I made the mistake asking her which region from Germany this comes from as I had never heard about this even though I was German. She got quite aggressive with me.

owever, my family even used to have a Christmas pickle.

I think you are the only German person I know who actually had a Christmas pickle.

I can totally see that! I just looked it up and that one week at WDW I am going to write about we really did not do any crazy touring and the days are all over 20.000! One day was even 25.000.

I can't wait to get my Fitbit a good workout in the parks. It will be interesting to see how the distances covered will compare between Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

I think I would be tempted to do the water park at Atlantis even if it is really expensive, but I love water parks and that one seems totally cool!

I would recommend it. I have not been to the one in Nassau, but I have been to the sister park in Dubai a few times and Aquaventure is easily the best waterpark I have ever been to.

The interesting thing is that the official line is that "certain elements" of My Magic + will make it to the other Disney parks as well.

I just heard that they are starting to test Fastpass+ at Disneyland in August. I wonder how this will work.

My ticker says 2 weeks until Sister's Summer Sailing to Scandinavia!! Soon we will find out whether the ship will sink (we very much hope that not!!!)!!

Time will just fly until then. I got very excited when I saw my ticker yesterday and it said 4 months.

This was a “special” reservation as we had a Candlelight Processional package.

I really like those packages.

Our choice was the Biergarten in Germany for this package. Partly because we had really enjoyed it on our last visit, but also because it was the least expensive of the options.

That was my original choice the last time I did this, but then I was joined by friends and switched to Restaurant Marrakesh at the 11th hour.

It kind of was not the best combination: one large group and us as a couple. But we knew that something like that could happen.

The same thing happened to us when we had lunch there. Again, the extended family we sat with was lovely, but it felt a little strange.

I did not know they did this. I have a bit of an obsession with the cheese soup at Le Cellier.

we were getting close to the International Gateway by then!)

Goodness, that was a serious line. The first time I was parallel to the Japanese pavilion when I got in line and the second time at the beginning of Morocco.

As you can see, at the first show of the evening it is still light outside when it starts. It got dark during the show and I actually enjoyed that change of the light as the show progressed.

I really liked that transition from day into evening. It somehow made it feel even more magical.

Our celebrity was Whoopi Goldberg.

Oh, you were lucky. She was our narrator in 2013 and I thought she was excellent.

I think I might have enjoyed it more if it had been full of Christmas carols that I am familiar with. I knew some that they performed (Oh Come, All Ye Faithful has a German version and of course I am familiar with Silent Night), but most where foreign to me.

I have an advantage there. Most of the Christmas carols included are very popular in the UK so I was familiar with them. I have to admit though that I started to get a big lump in my throat when they sang the first verse of Silent Night in German.

Worst meal of the WDW visit, really. I just had veggie soup and a side salad (that wound up back in the villa and had as a snack the next day or maybe two days later.) The soup tasted like it came out of a can. The salad was ordinary. You can get a better one at Wendy's for $1.49

That really surprises me. Normally this is my go to place in Epcot as this is a cut or two above the normal counter service offerings.

Corinna

The Biergarten has long tables that are set up in a crescent shape around a “town square” with a stage. All tables are for 8, so if your group is smaller, you share a table. We ended up at a table very close to the stage, not the best view:

We lucked out when we ate there, we had two parties of three, so it wasn't as awkward as being the only outsiders with a group of six. Because Fran can't do the steps we were seated on the top level, but you were really close to the stage and far from the buffet.

We were there the last time for lunch as well and I remember there being far more selection in sausages and cold cuts as compared to this time.

I remember there being a lot of sausages and cold cuts, but it was a long time ago when we ate there, like 2011.

:rotfl2: That's probably in the back bathrooms of the American Adventure!

Wow, were people getting angry at us!! So we stepped out again thinking that this was really getting stupid (we were getting close to the International Gateway by then!). Kind of 30 people after the people who had shouted at us, there was finally a more obvious end of the line, so I really don’t understand what these people had been so outraged about. They really could not have been standing in line for ages…

People really get testy about folks getting in line, and I'm sure they would have not been affected seating wise, but they just like to complain.

Well, we then walked all the way back to the American pavilion where we were herded into the theater. People were rushing around like crazy and it was really already very full. By the way, that was with showing up over 30 minutes before show time!!

I have heard that people line up crazy early for shows like that.

All in all the show was very enjoyable and I am glad that I have done it. However, this is really not a must repeat for me.

We saw it at DL a few years back, and while it was nice. I really don't need to repeat it either. It was a little to churchy for me, so I'd rather let the people who like that sort of program attend and we can do something else.

While we were there, a friend of Michael met up with us. We continued on to France where we all got treats. Michael had some ice cream, I had some champagne and our friend had ice cream in a warm brioche. Here it is being made:

He was not too convinced that this was a wonderful combination though.

I just saw this on another TR and it really didn't sound all that great to me. I was happier with the Ice Cream Martini!

Illuminations gets a special additional ending during the Christmas season and I really liked that a lot!

Hmmm, I will have to look at our schedule for December. I didn't account for viewing Illuminations, but perhaps I should!

Me too!

I just heard that they are starting to test Fastpass+ at Disneyland in August. I wonder how this will work.

I just read in the LA Times that Mary Niven has said that Magic Bands will not be coming to DL in the near future. Since so many of the park attendees are not out of town guests, using them as room keys isn't effective, so I wonder how they will implement FP+ there?

I just read in the LA Times that Mary Niven has said that Magic Bands will not be coming to DL in the near future. Since so many of the park attendees are not out of town guests, using them as room keys isn't effective, so I wonder how they will implement FP+ there?

Actually, that makes life easier. It would be quite straightforward to replace the existing annual passes with RFID versions. I would assume that for the tests they would use hotel guests so again they would issued RFID keys.

Corinna

What a long and exciting day!
We have never been at Octoberfest in Epcot - they usually have DJ Ötzi blaring, which really turns me off. :crazy2:

I never heard them play DJ Ötzi!!! How horrible!! I agree that you would not want to go there. The band that they have is actually really good. I totally forgot to mention that they added a few Christmas songs to their normal show. That was really really nice! I think you would have fun there, but it is a buffet and I know that you are not keen on those. But if you are meeting up with some other DISers in the park, it might be a fun activity! You would be able to tell them what the stuff really is. I know that last time we went with Michael's friend, he thought it was really fun to hear my perspective on the different dishes.

What an unorganized line for the CP - when we did it in 2009 they had everything roped off.

The first bit was roped off, but that was far from being long enough to hold all the people.

And you stayed for Illuminations as well, wow! Well thought about the spot though as it helps to have a quick "escape" route once the fireworks are over.

I love Illuminations (minus the boring part with the globe, even though the music is nice). I actually like parts of it better than Wishes. I am not too fond of the children's choir in Wishes since I am generally not too fond of children's choirs in general. I much prefer adult singing voices.

It is amazing how much difference it can make to have a quick exit out of the park with regard to bus wait time!

I think I am vain and don't want anyone to know that I am counting my steps! :lmao:

I know that when I was last at Walt Disney World, they were still testing, but for me every time I tried to use Fastpass+, the Mickey head turned blue. During that holiday, the only time it did work is when I changed a Fastpass+ on short notice.

Not nice!! Hope it works better for you on your next trip!

I have yet to make it to the Flower and Garden Festival. That was planned for this year, but never happened.

Sorry, I am sure you will get another possibility! To me it was truly amazing how beautiful Epcot was during that time!

I love the holiday season and I love the Food and Wine Festival. I can't wait to get back for this in autumn.

I know i am odd for not liking the Food and Wine Festival, but to me the whole World Showcase just feels far too cluttered with all the different food booths. Both the other seasons are more about enhancing the park itself with beautiful additions. F&W uses the park more as just a background. I also never really enjoyed munching around the world as much as I thought I would in theory. I guess I prefer my food to be served at a nice table.

I had a heated discussion about this with a cast member at the German pavilion in 2012. I made the mistake asking her which region from Germany this comes from as I had never heard about this even though I was German. She got quite aggressive with me.

Oh, how unpleasant!! Was that a CM from Germany??

I think you are the only German person I know who actually had a Christmas pickle.

Well, we are a special family!!! :thumbsup2

I can't wait to get my Fitbit a good workout in the parks. It will be interesting to see how the distances covered will compare between Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Make sure to report your findings after the trip! I will be interested to hear about it! One thing I noticed was that I had trouble changing the time zone on my fitbit. That was a bit annoying.

I would recommend it. I have not been to the one in Nassau, but I have been to the sister park in Dubai a few times and Aquaventure is easily the best waterpark I have ever been to.

Sounds great!

Time will just fly until then. I got very excited when I saw my ticker yesterday and it said 4 months.

4 months is starting to get closer! I always find that the last three months waiting for a vacation usually go by very quickly.

I really like those packages.

They are very convenient. And seeing how many people got into the theater with the package, I think if you want to sit in the theater, they are your only choice.

That was my original choice the last time I did this, but then I was joined by friends and switched to Restaurant Marrakesh at the 11th hour.

I am thinking that Restaurant Marrakesh would have been a good choice for Michael and me as well.

I did not know they did this. I have a bit of an obsession with the cheese soup at Le Cellier.

They had that in 2013 as well. It is very similar to the one in Le Cellier and very very good! A little less thick I would say.

Goodness, that was a serious line. The first time I was parallel to the Japanese pavilion when I got in line and the second time at the beginning of Morocco.

It was crazy! We got the impression that they are selling more and more of the packages...

I really liked that transition from day into evening. It somehow made it feel even more magical.

Yes, I liked that, too!

Oh, you were lucky. She was our narrator in 2013 and I thought she was excellent.

She was really excellent!

I have an advantage there. Most of the Christmas carols included are very popular in the UK so I was familiar with them. I have to admit though that I started to get a big lump in my throat when they sang the first verse of Silent Night in German.

Yep, I was kind of singing along... Being the only one around knowing the words in German!

Interesting that the American and the British carols are the same.

That really surprises me. Normally this is my go to place in Epcot as this is a cut or two above the normal counter service offerings.

That is why we picked it. But somehow the menu had gotten rather limited, at least it felt that way. I think the problem was also that we were there so late and things were kind of picked over already.

Oh, how unpleasant!! Was that a CM from Germany??

Yes, she was definitely German. I have to admit that the first thought that came to mind was "And this is why I no longer live in Germany."

Make sure to report your findings after the trip! I will be interested to hear about it! One thing I noticed was that I had trouble changing the time zone on my fitbit. That was a bit annoying.

I am planning to include this information in my trip report. It had not even occurred to me that I needed to change the time zone on my Fitbit. I better figure out how to do this.

Corinna

Well, I refuse to believe that rumor just yet. It was put out by the guy who claimed that on May 4, 2013 when there was the Limited Time Magic Star Wars Day event at DHS that Bob Iger and George Lucas would come out on the the stage to announce the huge Star Wars expansion that was coming to DHS starting in 2013. No, that did not happen. Sorry, if someone puts out nonsense like that I wait until a better source confirms it before I believe it. Mileage still hasn't said a peep about it and usually they are the ones with the most accurate rumors about Disneyland.

Also, keen in mind that "testing" can be anything. It might be just a temporary thing like putting normal fastpass on a few more attractions to watch the impact on the lines. They started doing stuff like that a long long time before anyone could ever book the first FP+ at WDW.

Keep in mind that Magic Bands and FP+ are two totally separate elements of the whole system. One can exist without the other. Magic Bands just mainly mean that you carry your admission media around your wrist. It is still possible to visit WDW and use FP+ without a Magic Band - offsite guests don't get them, they can only purchase them for 15$. They also have a small transmitter in them which makes them detectable from a further distance. For example, when you are on a ride that has ride pictures, those will now show up in your My Disney Experience account automatically if you were wearing your Magic Band. They know that you were in that ride vehicle because of the band. Supposedly there was all other kind of fancy stuff being connected with that, but so far nothing has really materialized.

FP+ on the other hand is just a different way of getting your FP. Since you don't get a printed ticket anymore, there needs to be some mechanism to identify the FP+ holder though. That could even be done with the existing ticket media, they could either swipe the magnetic stripe or scan the bar code, just as they do for entrance. The RFID chip that is in the current WDW tickets as well as in the Magic Bands just makes the scanning a bit easier.

Actually, that makes life easier. It would be quite straightforward to replace the existing annual passes with RFID versions. I would assume that for the tests they would use hotel guests so again they would issued RFID keys.

I am sure that RFID tickets and room keys will come to all Disney parks. It is just the current technology used for stuff like that. Even my local swimming pool has a system that uses RFID chips. So many public transport systems use it. Credit Cards are using it more and more. It is much more reliable than the magnetic stripes. It would be crazy if Disney did not upgrade to that.

However, I think a first very limited test could even be done with just scanning the barcode on your ticket. They already have those hand held devices at DL with which they scan your ticket to see your picture.

We lucked out when we ate there, we had two parties of three, so it wasn't as awkward as being the only outsiders with a group of six. Because Fran can't do the steps we were seated on the top level, but you were really close to the stage and far from the buffet.

That sounds like a better combination.

I remember there being a lot of sausages and cold cuts, but it was a long time ago when we ate there, like 2011.

We were there last in 2013 and there was definitely less this time. I guess that stuff is not that popular...

:rotfl2: That's probably in the back bathrooms of the American Adventure!

I would more think that "Breaking Bad - The Ride" would be a better fit for Universal than for Disney! :rotfl:

I have heard that people line up crazy early for shows like that.

Which kind of negates the point of the whole package... :confused3

We saw it at DL a few years back, and while it was nice. I really don't need to repeat it either. It was a little to churchy for me, so I'd rather let the people who like that sort of program attend and we can do something else.

I can understand that. And I think that will be my approach towards it in the future as well.

I just saw this on another TR and it really didn't sound all that great to me. I was happier with the Ice Cream Martini!

I was pretty happy with my champange without any ice cream! :thumbsup2 But I agree with you, ice cream Martini sounds far better than ice cream brioche to me as well.

Hmmm, I will have to look at our schedule for December. I didn't account for viewing Illuminations, but perhaps I should!

Oh, that tag is actually really nice!!

I would recommend checking it out in this video:

Martin Smith does excellent videos of the parks - I think he is working in TV professionally and knows what he is doing. The tag starts at around 19:00 if you don't want to see the whole normal Illuminations. The video is from 2009, but I think the only things that have changed are the new lasers (those were really amazing!) and there is a new narrator for the American voice.

Yes, she was definitely German. I have to admit that the first thought that came to mind was "And this is why I no longer live in Germany."

What a strange occurrence. I mean, why would there be any reason to be nasty about it.... And sorry that you feel that way about Germany. I understand what you mean, that is one of the things I really love about the UK as well, how friendly and polite every one is there. But I find that Germany has gotten much better in the last 15 years with people in shops etc. being more friendly than they used to be.

I am planning to include this information in my trip report. It had not even occurred to me that I needed to change the time zone on my Fitbit. I better figure out how to do this.

I think I changed it in the app. If you don't change it, it will count the UK day as your day, so at 7pm or 4pm (depending which coast you are on) it will start counting the steps for the next day. I did not want that. But changing the time zone somehow really screwed up the alarm function. I usually use my fitbit as my alarm in the mornings and that just did not work out. Maybe that issue has been resolved now, I am not sure.

Before we start the next update, I want to add something about the previous day: One nice feature of our visit to the Biergarten was that the band did not only do their usual program of playing all kind of traditional German songs, but instead added quite a few German Christmas songs to the line up. I really enjoyed that!

But back to the story:

Michael Throws Me Out - Part 1

December 7

The previous evening when we had talked about plans for the coming day Michael was very much in favour that I should get up early to go to a park. His point was that since I had only a ticket for a few days, I should make sure to make the most out of my ticket as expensive as it was. He has an annual pass, so walking into a park fro 3 hours in the evening is not a big deal. But if that eats up one of your precious days, it is. Of course he was right!

He usually is. I figure she'll realize this by 2023 at the latest.

(No way!!)

So, my plan for today was to get up and make my way to Animal Kingdom as this is my favourite park at WDW and it is a park that is difficult for evening touring.

I have to warn my dear readers that starting today the trip notes stop. So, I am recounting the story of our trip solely depending on my pictures and my memory. I hope I can add enough detail still, even thought the trip was nearly half a year ago now!

Since I wasn't here for this part, I was wondering if you'd like me to make up my version of what happened?

I got up and got ready and then headed out. It was a very overcast day. The bus stop for The Paddock is directly next to the pool there, so I got a quick picture of the Paddock pool:

DSC06011.jpg

There is a little snack stand selling drinks and some food items as well, so it really is quite a substantial pool and not your usual quiet pool. But this also meant that it was locked in with a fence and had hours of operation. No late night swimming in that pool…

I was surprised how long the ride was to AK, but then it is quite on the other side of property. Once there I was greeted by a lovely Christmas tree:

DSC06013.jpg

At that time AK had gotten a new theme: Construction walls. You can see them just in front of the Tree of Life:

DSC06014.jpg

There were plenty more around and I had a deja vu from my trip in 2011 when the MK was the park of construction walls…

But it still is pretty at AK!

DSC06015.jpg

My first destination was Africa as I wanted to check out the new Festival of the Lion King theater now that Camp Minnie and Mickey is closed and they have a new home in Africa:

DSC06017.jpg

DSC06020.jpg

I was really impressed with how it looked:

DSC06019.jpg

As if it had always been there.

It was not yet show time, so I ventured into Africa itself. They had stand there with two CMs displaying African crafts.

DSC06021.jpg

I later realized that this is part of a new activity for kids at AK, the Wilderness Explorers. You sign up at the bridge leading into the park from the Oasis, You get a handbook and then you can go around the park and collect badges (i.e. stickers) at different stations. I made Michael sign up with me on a later visit and thought it was a fun thing. I really thought that it added a lot of interactivity and you could learn something from the CMs about the animals or their culture in Africa and Asia. In my opinion this was a brilliant addition. Very low tech, but high quality!

I decided that I needed some breakfast and headed to the Kusafiri Coffee shop which had sold me many lovely pastries in the past. Well, they had updated their offerings and the one thing that I wanted, a cinnamon roll, was now a giant cinnamon roll. And since it was being sold at a Disney Park, it also came with a price that was at least equally gigantic as the roll itself… Still, it looked delicious and I really wanted a good cinnamon roll. And since I did not have to use money to pay for it, I could just show them my Magic Band, it did not hurt too much…. ;-)

DSC06023.jpg

This was an entrée size plate, not a small pastry plate. The cinnamon roll was delicious and I very much enjoyed my breakfast in the park! I also had a cappuccino and some water.

Then it was time to head to the new theater for the Lion King show – together with the masses:

DSC06024.jpg

Lots of really neat detail in that area:

DSC06026.jpg

DSC06027.jpg

DSC06029.jpg

DSC06030.jpg

I want this quilt:

DSC06028.jpg

I just walked through the waiting area:

DSC06031.jpg

The show was wonderful as always. Once inside the theater it really is the same as it was before. I was just wondering if there used to be more dancers in the show. It seemed a bit empty at times.

After the show, I headed on to the Safari:

DSC06032.jpg

DSC06035-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

DSC06048-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

DSC06051-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

DSC06055-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

Saw a cheetah walking around!!

DSC06060.jpg

I think our safari guide said something about a new family that recently moved in. Seems like the new family was more active than the old ones…

DSC06065.jpg

DSC06068.jpg

I love the shops in Africa:

DSC06077.jpg

DSC06070.jpg

Inside they had “African” Christmas decorations:

DSC06072.jpg

I just love the merchandise that is all so fitting with the location and not just another shop full of Donald t-shirts and Cinderella mugs.

DSC06075.jpg

Continued in Part 2

Michael Throws Me Out - Part 2

I made my way over to Asia along the backside of the Tree of Life:

DSC06077.jpg

Unfortunately the Flights of Wonder show had already started, so I only took a picture outside:

DSC06080.jpg

And then I continued on through Asia:

DSC06081.jpg

I noticed new storage lockers that one can use while on Kali River Rapids:

DSC06083.jpg

I think those are a great addition. I know that DCA had them at Grizzly River Run from the start and I always wondered why they did not have them at AK.

I doubt I'll ever ride KRR again, unless I am paid to ride. I generally hate water rides, unless they are water parks. Being soaked in your clothes and shoes and having your wallet, phone, cards etc ... damaged or ruined just ain't my idea of fun. And KRR is a lousy ride too. Never miss a thing.

I walked the Asia trail, but there was no tiger:

DSC06086.jpg

There were signs warning of tigers though:

DSC06087.jpg

DSC06091.jpg

Here she is:

DSC06093.jpg

And another one:

DSC06100.jpg

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is still one of my favourite areas in AK with all its details:

DSC06097.jpg

DSC06103.jpg

DSC06104.jpg

And then it was time to head back to SSR to see whether Michael had woken up already.

I hope he was blissfully in slumber, but I think he was up!

I think he was enjoying his second favourite activity after sleeping: soaking in a hot tub! So, you don't have to be so sad for him!

Some more Christmas decorations:

DSC06109.jpg

DSC06110.jpg

And then I left AK to hop on a bus back to SSR. When I got there I thought that maybe I would find my boyfriend soaking in the hot tub at the pool (his favourite place), so I headed there from the bus stop. No, no Michael. So, back to our room. When I left the pool area I saw a guy walking just in front of me who looked familiar. It was Michael who decided that he had soaked enough and that he should head back to the room to take a shower. I told him all about my morning adventures and how grateful I was that he more or less threw me out of the room that morning. And then we both got ready for the adventures for the rest of the day!

Alone time in the parks is very special to me. I may love being with M and other family and friends at Disney, but, sometimes, I enjoy just having 3-6 hours by myself, doing anything I want.

I agree!

Up Next: Lights! Spectacular Lights!!

What a strange occurrence. I mean, why would there be any reason to be nasty about it.

I suppose she knew only too well that this is just an urban legend and was not very happy to be asked about it.

But I find that Germany has gotten much better in the last 15 years with people in shops etc. being more friendly than they used to be.

That is nice to hear, but was not my experience when I visited Frankfurt last year.

If you don't change it, it will count the UK day as your day, so at 7pm or 4pm (depending which coast you are on) it will start counting the steps for the next day. I did not want that.

That would really annoy me.

But changing the time zone somehow really screwed up the alarm function.

Fortunately I don't use the alarm on mine. I tried this when I first got it thinking this would less disruptive for Graham than my normal alarm. However, he manages to sleep through my normal alarm more often than not and the alarm on my Fitbit woke him up without fail.

I later realized that this is part of a new activity for kids at AK, the Wilderness Explorers. You sign up at the bridge leading into the park from the Oasis, You get a handbook and then you can go around the park and collect badges (i.e. stickers) at different stations. I made Michael sign up with me on a later visit and thought it was a fun thing. I really thought that it added a lot of interactivity and you could learn something from the CMs about the animals or their culture in Africa and Asia. In my opinion this was a brilliant addition. Very low tech, but high quality!

This sounds like a lot of fun.

I enjoyed all your photos from Animal Kingdom.

Corinna

I have heard horror stories of people having to walk off the ship in their pajamas without any shoes because they packed everything after they had gotten ready for bed! :scared1:

Holy crap! That's both ridiculously hilarious and kinda sad all at the same time. I'm... how...?

And they are still hoping for repeat customers.

Well, you do have a point. Any Disney is very good at making sure you come back with your wallet wide open.

Unfortunately none of the possibilities would bring us to Florida in October...

That stinks.

I can only recommend to use the child size if you have smaller wrists

Good to know! I love picking up these little nuggets along the way.

but since then he has been much better

Phew! That is great news!

Soon we will find out whether the ship will sink

Wha....!!?? This ought to be a riveting sort of tale...

Candlelight Processional:

1) Some people just really suck at their interpersonal skills- or lack thereof. Seriously, are they just that uptight or too silly to realize that honest mistakes happen?

2) Yes, super annoying that your favorite spot was eaten up by changes. No fun to have to make yet another adjustment.

3) Biergarten was fun, but I too was saddened by the lackluster variety of offerings.

And pretzel bread! Perfect combination.

Don't worry, I know a guy. Go to a place called Los Pollos Hermanos. Ask to see the manager.

Wow, were people getting angry at us!!

:sad2:

And it's not like there's assigned seating. Even if we accidentally got in front of two dozen people, we didn't measurably decrease the quality of their viewing experience.

Entitled people will always fail to see the big picture.

On a later visit to Epcot, I realized that you could easily hear and see a lot of it by just being in the walkway behind the theater. And I think I would be perfectly fine with that. Listening to the beautiful music I don’t need to see every single performer.

Good tip! I have a feeling I'd be just fine with the "redneck" version of the processional.

Worst meal of the WDW visit, really.

I think I see the problem. It starts with "veggie sandwich" and "salad".:rotfl2:

I was annoyed that my favourite spot to watch it from is now take over as a FP+ area and dessert party area.

No! I hate that the regular folks keep getting squeezed out of the good spots.

Of course he was right!

He usually is. I figure she'll realize this by 2023 at the latest.

Michael, I have bad news for you. No wife/girlfriend has ever realized this.

At that time AK had gotten a new theme: Construction walls.

:crazy2:

I really thought that it added a lot of interactivity and you could learn something from the CMs about the animals or their culture in Africa and Asia. In my opinion this was a brilliant addition. Very low tech, but high quality!

Sounds like fun! I think my kids would really enjoy it.

Still, it looked delicious and I really wanted a good cinnamon roll.

Looks fantastic!

I want this quilt:

Yes! That would look great hanging on my wall. They did a great job with the theming there.

I just love the merchandise that is all so fitting with the location and not just another shop full of Donald t-shirts and Cinderella mugs.

Amen.::yes::

The Maharajah Jungle Trek is still one of my favourite areas in AK with all its details:

Agreed! I love the theming there, too.

And then it was time to head back to SSR to see whether Michael had woken up already.

I hope he was blissfully in slumber, but I think he was up!

About time. What was it, about 3:00 p.m. at this point?:rotfl::rotfl2:

Alone time in the parks is very special to me. I may love being with M and other family and friends at Disney, but, sometimes, I enjoy just having 3-6 hours by myself, doing anything I want.

I agree!

Maybe someday I'll get to experience that....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter