From Fantasyland to the Fantasy: We came, we saw, we kicked it's AFT! UPDATED 1/10!

I'm really intrigued by this. I go back and forth on whether to do a Disney cruise or Oasis/Allure cruise. We've never been on a cruise, so I am way over-thinking this. We have food allergies and restrictions (DD has food allergies and I'm vegan and gluten-free) so I lean toward Disney, but the price is so high. I haven't heard much about Oasis/Allure accommodating food needs. I worry that we would go on a RCCI cruise and I'd wish we were on a Disney ship.
Every cruise that I've been on has taken food allergies seriously. They ask about allergies and restrictions as part of the on line check in process as well as at dinner once you are on the cruise. I think you'll find as much variety to suit your needs on most cruise ships.:goodvibes

and now any day Jen.. LMAO jk I know like im one to talk.
Ha! I was just giving her a hard time about it yesterday... I think we'll see an update real soon.:rolleyes1

I think everyone needs to really experience both ships themselves to make a decision on which they prefer. Like you, some people love the Oasis class ships and think they are far and above better than other ships; yet some folks would much prefer a more intimate ship (all Disney ships, regardless of size, would fall into that category just by virtue of their layout). It really is six of one, half of dozen of the other...or comparing apples to oranges - which setting is preferable to each particular cruiser. :goodvibes
:thumbsup2 Exactly! Like I said, I love the larger ships with all the bells and whistles that Royal offers, but there is something special about Disney too! On each of my last four cruises (2 with Royal and 2 with Disney) I left saying, "This was my favorite cruise so far!"

Ron

Oh my gosh you guys are so amazing to be so patient!

NOW WHO WANTS AN UPDATE? :banana:

(I will need a little bit of time, apparently Photobucket has changed since I was here last forever and a day ago.)

I am really happy to get back into a routine and get on with the show!

Hang tight I'll be back in a bit!:goodvibes

(I will need a little bit of time, apparently Photobucket has changed since I was here last forever and a day ago.)

Welcome back!! :):)

Not really patient. ;)

After our playground adventure, and now that we were finally back inside the gates of the high-security pool area, it was time to relax and enjoy this awesome pool complex!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix304.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix255.jpg

Sarah was off to the kiddie area!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix324.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix309.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix392.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix394.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix396.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix332.jpg

She loved it, squirts and splashes galore!

The big kids and Ron headed for the Lazy River first.

You have to have a tube in the Lazy River. They do provide plenty of tubes in both a smaller child size and larger adult size for everyones use.

At first, Sarah was not too happy about leaving the kiddie area to ride the lazy river.

Day1and2Sep2021441.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021439.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021440.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix320.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix321.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix335.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix336.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix337.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix338.jpg

Looking up at the lush tropical landscaping as we float by!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix340.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix400.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix401.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix402.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix406.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix407.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix416.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix424.jpg

When we reached the slide area, we decided to hop on!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix410.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix327.jpg

This slide is serious business. It is 248 feet long and it moves FAST. It’s also a long climb up, Really long! But the payoff is worth it. This is an awesome slide!

And look at the view!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix348.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix350.jpg

Looking down at the huge sundeck from the slide platform:
Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix349.jpg

And beyond, towards the coastline:

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix353.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix351.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix352.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix354.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix355.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix356.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix346.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021431.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021432.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021433.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix358.jpg

Here is a POV video! Enjoy the ride!

We just had so much fun out here! Loved this resort!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix367.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix381.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix428.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix430.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix365.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix368.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix347.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix373.jpg

The view from behind the waterfall:

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix383.jpg

Even the showers are cool-made out of surfboards!
And look- Sarah takes out an “unsuspecting” Ron!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix399.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix397.jpg

For those curious, there is a large pool restroom/locker/changing room building accessible directly from the pool deck (inside the gates):

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix331.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix331.jpg

Here’s a peek inside.

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix391.jpg

And here is that concrete expanse of a sundeck.

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix390.jpg

Way too freakin’ hot to be up there today:

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix325.jpg

The large pool was fairly empty, with the exception of the volleyball area. There were games going on there most of the day. In retrospect it wasn’t the greatest place to have chosen a table and lounge chairs as the balls were flying out all the time. Not a huge deal though because we were mostly in the pool. Ron Jon has 43.000+ square feet of pool area and deck space!

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix323.jpg

As lunch time approaches. Sarah gets a little cranky. OK , she got a lot cranky. Let’s eat already!

Day1and2Sep2021447.jpg

You can order food from the Ron Jon Surf Grill for pickup via the Pool Bar. There is the restaurant proper inside if you prefer a sit-down experience (cover ups/clothing required) but if you just want to eat at your table or chairs outside you can get a menu and order at the bar.

Here is my big TR fail: I forgot to take a picture of the RJR pool bar menu. I’m sorry! The menu itself was a one-page laminated sheet you pick up at and return to the bar. It is rather simple, basic American fare: sandwiches, burgers, chicken tenders, and pizza. The prices were a little bit high but not totally unreasonable (I think a burger might have been around $10, possibly a bit more). The family at the table next to ours had gotten a pizza- it looked and smelled fantastic and the price was great considering the amount of food. It was probably about a 12” pizza. The cost was around $8- not bad at all. We decided to get one of those and share it, along with the snacks we had at the table. It was good!

Day1and2Sep2021455.jpg

Mmm..pizza and cheetos. Healthy, it’s not. <shrug>

Day1and2Sep2021459.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021462.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021461.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021460.jpg

Guess they liked it. No complaints.

We also decided to get a kids’ grilled cheese and fries plate for me (you do have to be with a child under 12 to buy a kids’ meal), the price for that was, I believe $5.99.

Day1and2Sep2021457.jpg

The sandwich alone was enough for me. Grilled cheese is always good as far as I’m concerned, and this one was no exception! It came with a small amount of crispy french fries- (it is a kids meal after all)- perfect portion. Excellent value, you just need a kid with you!

With my kids meal I also opted for a very expensive frou-frou tropical drink. I forget exactly what was called- something like Strawberry Delight. It was basically a Vanilla Slushy (supposedly made with cake flavored Vodka) with a Strawberry Daiquiri swirled in. It was a little weak on the booze and for $12 I wanted it to pack a bit of a punch. It had delicious flavor though. Just not a lot of alcohol.

Day1and2Sep2021453.jpg

So after lunch, we were just hanging out at the table chillaxin’ and all of the sudden something blocked the sun. This was no passing cloud, however. We all looked up and were shocked to see appearing to be gliding by almost directly over us:

Day1and2Sep2021472.jpg

The Carnival Dream!

Day1and2Sep2021473.jpg

We had never seen a ship sail in our out from the Ron Jon and surely had no idea why the Dream (or the CDream as I like to call it- no relation to the DDream) would be sailing by at this time of day. We would find out later is was just pulling in, returning to port from a dry dock (to install the Funship 2.0 upgrades for those of you familiar with Carnival)

Day1and2Sep2021464.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021467.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021468.jpg

This was super exciting! It caused quite a buzz across the pool deck with everyone wondering what was going on. And there she goes, down the channel down to her dock.

Day1and2Sep2021474.jpg

Day1and2Sep2021475.jpg

Days1OKW-3cruiseLumix389.jpg

All this, and it was still only mid-afternoon! How about a trip to the beach?

Up next: Beating the Storm and a Non-Meet Dis-Meet

Yay!!! Although I had to go back and re-read the last post to remember where we left off!!! haha

:yay: You started up again!! That resort has an amazing pool complex. Loved the POV slide video!

Great pics! Looks like SOOOOOO much fun! Sarsh is adorable-even when grumpy! Pov photo looks fun! Thanks for updating!

Total fun surprise to see the CDream! We have often toyed with the idea of staying at Ron Jon, but would really love to have an oceanfront room, which is not happening with less than a week's stay, unfortunately (wish Ron Jon would change that rule!).

Holy updates Batman!!!!

The pool area looks like it could provide lots of hours of fun for kids. Claire would be in HEAVEN!

The pizza looks darn good. My soup I ate earlier is now fading fast and a nice pizza would do the trick! :rotfl:

How cool to see the Dream. That ship isn't that old, I am surprised they had to drydock it already. That is the one Carnival ship I would like to try.

Loved the update!

Looks like y'all were having a terrific time at the resort pool! That place really seems like a destination in itself.

And how cool that you got to see another cruise ship pulling in!

1) finally got my wine issue figures out.:yay:

2) your pool pics are just fab!!:thumbsup2
hmmmmm......makes me wanna re-think 2014 and my vacation plans!!:goodvibes

3) ok....the pizza - regular crust or deep dish??;)

Like yer updates.:)

T.T.F.N.

Wow that resort had a nice looking pool complex! Might have to try to stay there if we ever take a cruise.

I love your report!

Your kids are too cute!!!

what camera do you use for underwater. Ours bite the dust on our last cruise and we are looking at a new "tough" series.

Just a quick pop in to reassure ya'll that I am indeed back for good. I am working on the next part but posting will be a tad sporadic this week as I am finishing up <ahem> an online class. It is boring as all get out and I keep falling asleep during it. :faint:

So, not a tease...more coming! Soon! Now it's time for a nap, I mean class! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter