"Freeloading" at SSR?

It's been an issue for a long time, I guess how much of a problem it is depends on how crowded the pool area is. Apparently there is an entire culture of people who do this, many who live in the area. OKW has had a problem for years but given it's proximity to DD, I'd expect SSR to be the most affected.

That is what I was thinking...what about the people that live in the area? You wouldn't even need to go to SSR to get on a bus and it is not that far of a walk from CP to DTD anyway.

That is what I was thinking...what about the people that live in the area? You wouldn't even need to go to SSR to get on a bus and it is not that far of a walk from CP to DTD anyway.
I think one of the larger groups is DVC members who live in the area but not staying at the resorts. I'd be willing to venture there are people reading this thread that have done so. There have been numerous posts over the years documenting these things happened. As I noted, the real question from a practical standpoint is how much of an impact it has.

Fence? We don't need no stinking fence. Just some armed guards would do the trick. Leave a few boddies in no man's land and that will deter them. :rotfl2:

Sorry couldn't resist.

I have heard of pool hopping being an issue at BCV, but this is the first time I have heard about it at SSR. When we were at SSR in December 2006, the pool never had many people there.

Well, on our last pool-hopping excursion we did notice that the water at High Rock Spring was about 2 or 3 degrees warmer than any other resort.

That is a good way to make it warmer. Saves us money, good fro the budget, and keeps the yearly dues under control.:rotfl:

Last summer , my family snuck into the main pool at SSR . We were staying at BWV and we went to OKW for the fishing trip for the kids. We did not have a car.

We were meeting friends, after the OKW fishing trip ,at SSR to do a little swimming. We got on the bus to DTD , it was the first one. It went to TL then marketplace. We then got on a SSR bus that went from MP to PI then back to TL and then SSR. We spent more than 2 mores on the bus to enjoy some swimming!!

I know, not the same thing since we were able to pool hop , but its a Pain I.T.A.

I was so aggravated, I never even went into the pool. I'll know better next time.

Last summer , my family snuck into the main pool at SSR . We were staying at BWV and we went to OKW for the fishing trip for the kids. We did not have a car.

We were meeting friends, after the OKW fishing trip ,at SSR to do a little swimming. We got on the bus to DTD , it was the first one. It went to TL then marketplace. We then got on a SSR bus that went from MP to PI then back to TL and then SSR. We spent more than 2 mores on the bus to enjoy some swimming!!

I know, not the same thing since we were able to pool hop , but its a Pain I.T.A.

I was so aggravated, I never even went into the pool. I'll know better next time.

Isn't there a boat to SSR from OKW? I think the DTD boat stops at SSR. It may have saved your nerves.

Bobbi:goodvibes

It's a 10-15 minute walk from Marketplace to SSR pool, or the boat stops at SSR on the way from OKW to DTD. Both shorter options than 2 hours I think.

I think the pool-crashing is probably a bigger issue at the MK-area resorts.

From DTD - a pool crasher could ferry to OKW/SSR/ and POR. If I were an illegal pool crasher, I'd go for POR where you get two pools and a food court.

That said - the only pool we've visited where it seemed like non-guests were using it was the POLY.

I don't know about SSR but when we were staying at BWV in September 2007 we were swimming in the clown pool when I struck up a conversation with two girls that were there with several kids and asked if they were having a good vacation when the one told me that they weren't on vacation that they lived in the area and were just there to swim. I was taken aback as it has always been my understanding that Disney resort pools are for Disney resort guests.!

We are going to need to organize quickly on this. First step is to pick out some badges and a name. How about the PP? Could put that right on the hat. Badges should be water proof, and attire should be flexible and dry quickly. Swim agility is a must for this squad. :lmao:

I guess it's all about timing and location. Summer/certain resorts must get higher traffic than others. We are November people travelers, and don't see much if any of this. However, I am guessing it's an issue in the summer months.

We've heard about people parking at DTD and hopping on the buses for years. Why they would want to use the SSR pool is beyond me. It's OK and we hop there, but I think it would be too much trouble to park at DTD and ferry over.

I think many of us assume that because it would be more trouble than we think it's worth to do an illegal pool hop, or park at DTD to get free parking that no one else would do it. But, I think there are a lot of people who just want to find a way to 'beat the system.' I would never waste my valuable vacation time to save a few dollars, but I know everyone is different.

The two times I have been at SSR I didn't find the pools or buses to be overcrowded, although that doesn't mean there's no impact. I do think that our dues would be impacted by people who elect to use SSR services they aren't entitled to. At some point, the extra people on the bus will impact fuel usage, and might create a need for more buses. If people use pool towels, that will affect laundry or housekeeping fees.

But I think one more thing needs to be addressed, and that would be the lack of security that is demonstrated here. So, anyone can just walk or boat over to SSR from DTD or the DTD hotels and use SSR services. I am equally concerned about the security issues this raises. I think that this can be mostly remedied by a requirement to show a KTTW card at the pools and when getting on the buses. Additionally, the walking paths to DTD should have a gate with key card access (like the gate to the beach at VB). I think these minor adjustments would take care of most issues related to mooching and security.

But I think one more thing needs to be addressed, and that would be the lack of security that is demonstrated here. So, anyone can just walk or boat over to SSR from DTD or the DTD hotels and use SSR services. I am equally concerned about the security issues this raises. I think that this can be mostly remedied by a requirement to show a KTTW card at the pools and when getting on the buses. Additionally, the walking paths to DTD should have a gate with key card access (like the gate to the beach at VB). I think these minor adjustments would take care of most issues related to mooching and security.

Well, Disney has been lucky there have been no serious incidents, or they've been adequately concerned over security on the matter. I was also surprised that there were no gates to access some locations, but seriously, a gate on the path is nothing but an inconvinience to guests and only turns away the least motivated outsiders. Most will simply find a way around the gate, and putting a gate around all of SSR is not going to be easy or cheap. They'd have to check ID on the ferrys and busses as well. A real solution is to have a guard in places and step up security, which is very costly. As long as safety isn't an issue, and overcapacity is limited, then the cost of allowing some freeloaders (and future potential members) is less than the cost of enforcement. We don't want another TSA level intrusion of questionable value.

Oh, and just because some folks aren't "on vacation" doesn't automatically mean they don't belong. They could be someone's guest, even registed in a room, may have permission (rightly or wrongly) from someone at the resort, may be related to employees or be employees themselves, etc. Did those folks admit they were crashing? Were they reported or at least was the possibility brought to the attention of DVC staff?

Were they reported or at least was the possibility brought to the attention of DVC staff?

Re: Security

Honestly, I think is a bigger problem at POLY/GF/CR where tons of people stream in and out throughout the day via. the monorail and for very popular character dining/other popular dining. With the DDP there's an explosion of people dining at resorts around the MK - and Chef Mickeys seems very popular among non-resort guests.

At least the DVC resorts are slightly more "off the beaten path".

The original "policy" for using the Resort transportation, you are SUPPOSED to have to show your key to the world card with a valid date on it. Easy way to fix the parking issue is to start enforcing that "policy". As far as the pool goes, during busy hours maby a pool attendant to issue towels like they have at the Boardwalk... (Wrist bands may be in order for length of stay as well!) This can be fixed if the management gets enough complaints! Squeeky wheel gets the oil...

If people use the facilities of a resort they are not staying at they are STEALING from that resort. Disney is very lax about this and it is NOT fair to the people that PAY to stay at the resorts. DVC owners pay dues to maintain the pools and provide bus transportation. Disney is responsible for security and is not doing the job. All owners at SSR should be complaining to DVC about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter