"Freeloading" at SSR?

Brenle

DIS Veteran
I've heard of a problem at SSR and was wondering if anyone knows what is being done about it or if anyone has had their own personal experience with this.

I was told during our last stay that non WDW guests are parking at DTD, taking the ferry over to SSR and using the pools there. :scared1: The hardest hit apparently is Congress Park and Grandstand. Not only are they using the pools, but towels, etc.

It seems this has been a problem for awhile but has gotten worse since the word has spread among the Florida community that SSR doesn't know who is staying on site and who actually is entitled to be there.

Has anyone else heard about this?

GS pool area never had more than 8 people the week we were there (but is was end of AUg., mid-week). It is is a problem, someone should suggest that CM walk around and ask for room keys--we stayed in a Hilton in HAwaii and they actually had a check-list of names and room #s and asked for our name and room number.

We had a bus driver tell us that they do the same thing to avoid paying for parking, they will park at DTD then hop on the first resort bus then get a bus to wich ever park they want to go to.It takes alittle bit of time,but they don't care they are saving money:confused3

Seems very unlikely. There are so many hotels in Orlando, alot with really nice pools. Why leave your resort, drive to dtd, take a ferry just to use SSR pools? Then you do it again to go home?

I do know that there is a problem with the hotels across from SSR. The hotel guests walk over to SSR to use the buses to the Theme Parks.

You will really notice it in the morning, at the Congress Park bus stop.

I can't imagine someone going to that much trouble to use a pool - especially all the way over to Grandstand. Plus, how would they go to the bathroom? That's card key access. Too much trouble in my book.

I agree....why???....that seems like a whole lot of trouble for not much entertainment...lets face it the SSR pool is OK, but the same as many pools in the resort

We stayed at Congress park last Dec for 8 nights. Never noticed this situation, in fact the quiet pool was empty most of the times and it was 80 out there! At the bus stop it wasn`t crowded just ordinary guests getting on a bus.
I`ve read of people parking at DTD then using SSR transport however it would add at least 45 mins at the start and end of the day. It can`t be worth it for the saving in parking costs :confused3

it is definitely happening with the parking, several times on our trip in December, we heard people on the Saratoga buses discussing how pleased they were to have saved money on parking by leaving their cars at DDD and then using the Saratoga buses to get to the parks. We were staying at Congress Park and they would ask the driver if this was the correct stop to get back to The MarketPlace.

It's been an issue for a long time, I guess how much of a problem it is depends on how crowded the pool area is. Apparently there is an entire culture of people who do this, many who live in the area. OKW has had a problem for years but given it's proximity to DD, I'd expect SSR to be the most affected.

I agree....why???....that seems like a whole lot of trouble for not much entertainment...lets face it the SSR pool is OK, but the same as many pools in the resort

I agree. What a waste of time :rolleyes:

I am sure that the pool thing happens...but not sure it would be classified as a "problem", I have not heard any reports of the pools being overrun. I also would think that HRS and Grandstand pool would be hit harder than the quiet pools, if you are going to make an effort to sneak into the pool, I doubt you would just go to a quiet pool.

As for the use of buses, I think this would happen a little from people parking at DTD, but seems that the bigger problem would be the other DTD hotels as PP mentioned....

We were staying at Congress Park and they would ask the driver if this was the correct stop to get back to The MarketPlace.

Remember, that the buses also serve as internal transportation for SSR, so guests at more distant locations within the resort might also be on the bus trying to get to the walking path....but I am sure a number of them are also from other DTD hotels or parked at DTD

One way to stop this situation is for SSR to build a "28 mile long virtual fence" to stop the illegals.:laughing:
With virtual card readers on the fence to allow the legals entrance. Maybe electronic body scans to see if they ARE SSR guests or not. If not, ZAP!! Now they are dust. :rotfl:

Told by who?

I have stayed there and (A) the pools were never that crowded and (B) most folks seemed to proudly be displaying thier DVC loot which makes it unlikey they were "freeloaders" LOL!

The pools aren't that great.

...Plus, how would they go to the bathroom?...
Well, on our last pool-hopping excursion we did notice that the water at High Rock Spring was about 2 or 3 degrees warmer than any other resort.

I've not seen this either. The Congress Park pool is our favorite because it is never crowded. My Ds's learned to swim in that pool because there was plenty of room to kick around and not disturb others.

We are at SSR at least 3 times a year.

Last October, I took my girlfriend to BCV for F&W. We hung out at SAB enjoying our adult beverages and witnessed an entire family (Older couple and young adults) climb over the fence from the lake walkway (the low point in the fence behind Hannas), park their stuff on the lounger closest to the fence and spend the rest of the afternoon at the pool, without a challenge.

We are going again this year but staying at OKW and I was telling her we wont be able to chill out at SAB like we did last year and she joked we could climb over the fence like that family!:rotfl:

So there are freeloaders all over the world, not just at SSR:laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter