Free Dining

When the offer opens to the public (after Disney cc)- are there available rooms left?
We are going within the rumored time frame and we are booked at CR. Historically- will there be any rooms left that offer FD?
We already are planning on paying for the dining plan so wanted to see if it was possible to save any money.
Thanks!

Our family booked free dining in 2011, 2013, & 2014 - all under the general public offer.

I'm not clear what the possible free dining plan offers. Some questions:

• We are annual pass holders - so not buying a "package" - would we get free dining?
  • What is included, usually, in free dining?
  • Should I reserve now, can I make changes later? I have set October travel dates.
  • Should I consider a Disney visa in addition to annual pass,or are offers redundant?
Thanks for your help! I've been researching, but so much info out there.

I'm not clear what the possible free dining plan offers. Some questions:

• We are annual pass holders - so not buying a "package" - would we get free dining?
  • What is included, usually, in free dining?
  • Should I reserve now, can I make changes later? I have set October travel dates.
  • Should I consider a Disney visa in addition to annual pass,or are offers redundant?
Thanks for your help! I've been researching, but so much info out there.

To get free dining, you would have to purchase a 2 day MYW ticket. You could save it for another trip.

If same as prior years, Value resorts get quick service plan, Moderates & Deluxe regular dining plan

No real advantage to booking before the deal comes out. May even hurt.

No, a Visa would get a jump on the reservation dates but it is too late now.

Mid-October has a HUGE amount of visitors due to American school fall breaks - especially schools in the southeast - and a HUGE amount of on-property business conventions are always held during that time frame also. I'm sure Food & Wine plays a part also, but it goes from the end of September through the first week in November, so the black out in mid-October is more due to school fall breaks and business conventions.
MagicalMomma6, I don't know of any public schools getting "Fall Breaks" in the southeast, especially in the month of October? There is a quick break for Thanksgiving in November; a long break for Christmas/New Years in Dec/Jan, but I cannot think of any Fall breaks, especially since the students begin the school year near the end of August. Maybe northern schools get a Columbus Day break? Of course, some people may pull their children out of school because it is a lovely time to visit! In fact, most Disney websites list October as a relatively low-crowd time to visit. I think any "crowds" are a product of great Disney marketing, great weather, and more special events (MNSSHP, F&W, runDisney marathon, S/D F&W Classic). :sunny:

ATL (GA) area has several counties that take fall breaks every year.

We usually stay at a value but would like to try a moderate. We will have a group of 5. Are those rooms at Riverside usually included or excluded?

Last edited:
ATL (GA) area has several counties that take fall breaks every year.

That's definitely going to contribute to park attendance since Atlanta is so close, but that wouldn't do it alone. Until last year when we decided to try out December, we've been October vacationers. What I've noticed is that in mid-October, there are a lot of UK visitors, but also Canadians...Americans tend to forget that Columbus Day is the same day as Canadian Thanksgiving. The UK sends a lot of visitors in late October due to mid-term break. Every single public school is closed in Minnesota mid-October due to a two day teacher convention, and many districts have expanded that to a full week fall break. The week after that, all public schools in Indiana are closed for fall break. Our last October trip fell during the week Indiana schools were out and I swear more than half of the people we talked to in line were from Indiana. Finally, local Orlando schools have their fall breaks in mid-October, which drives up park attendance (though not resort attendance) on those couple of days. All that contributes to parks feeling more crowded than in the past, but I think the real reason you don't see FD offered during this time is the conventions, which fill both resorts AND restaurants. You wouldn't want to overload the non-park restaurants with Free Diners (who tend to be families with kids) if you want to keep your conventioneers happy. The conventioneers may get price breaks on rooms, but they're going to be spending a lot on food and drinks.

That being said, fall break still remains less popular than other break times, and October is totally doable crowd-wise. The real key to a successful October trip is being willing to go against conventional wisdom and go to the MK on party days, and choose other parks on the days the MK doesn't have parties (hopping over to MK in the evening for the parade and fireworks). I'm not worried about crowd levels based on the lack of discounts...in fact, this encourages me. Free Dining is very, very popular and brings in the crowds. It seems to me that you can really tell when you're at Disney during a Free Dining time because everything, from parks to restaurants, is more crowded. When it's not offered, the parks seem less crowded to me.

MagicalMomma6, I don't know of any public schools getting "Fall Breaks" in the southeast, especially in the month of October? There is a quick break for Thanksgiving in November; a long break for Christmas/New Years in Dec/Jan, but I cannot think of any Fall breaks, especially since the students begin the school year near the end of August. Maybe northern schools get a Columbus Day break? Of course, some people may pull their children out of school because it is a lovely time to visit! In fact, most Disney websites list October as a relatively low-crowd time to visit. I think any "crowds" are a product of great Disney marketing, great weather, and more special events (MNSSHP, F&W, runDisney marathon, S/D F&W Classic). :sunny:
That's weird, where do you live? A huge amount of public and private schools in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana get fall breaks and we have some relatives in Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana that also get a fall break around the time we do in Alabama - almost always during Columbus Day/week or the week after. Most of the schools in Alabama are back in school between August 7 and 10th. School Fall breaks play a big roll, along with the other events you have mentioned.

That's weird, where do you live? A huge amount of public and private schools in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Louisiana get fall breaks and we have some relatives in Kentucky, Tennessee and Indiana that also get a fall break around the time we do in Alabama - almost always during Columbus Day/week or the week after. Most of the schools in Alabama are back in school between August 7 and 10th. School Fall breaks play a big roll, along with the other events you have mentioned.
Ohio, too. :wave:

Is there any thoughts on what will happen with Visa offers? Since in the past they released before general pubic offer? Or PIN offers for that matter?

Is there any thoughts on what will happen with Visa offers? Since in the past they released before general pubic offer? Or PIN offers for that matter?
There is no visa offer this time (it's happened before). UOCs could go out as early as today. No way to know.

There is no visa offer this time (it's happened before). UOCs could go out as early as today. No way to know.

Really I did not know that they sometimes have no Visa offer at all. Is a UOC and PIN number? Thanks for the information.

To get free dining, you would have to purchase a 2 day MYW ticket. You could save it for another trip.

If same as prior years, Value resorts get quick service plan, Moderates & Deluxe regular dining plan

No real advantage to booking before the deal comes out. May even hurt.

No, a Visa would get a jump on the reservation dates but it is too late now.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

"Get a Free dining plan when you purchase a non-discounted 6-night/7-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and tickets with Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More Option."

Looks like they upped the ante with a fairly long stay requirement, plus requiring water parks, or park hoppers to be purchased.

Hmm, does this change anything for the minimum requirements for AP holders? Is it still a 2 day MYW?

Dan

"Get a Free dining plan when you purchase a non-discounted 6-night/7-day Magic Your Way package that includes a room at a select Disney Resort hotel and tickets with Park Hopper or Water Park Fun & More Option."

Looks like they upped the ante with a fairly long stay requirement, plus requiring water parks, or park hoppers to be purchased.

Hmm, does this change anything for the minimum requirements for AP holders? Is it still a 2 day MYW?

Dan
2 day with hopper, but still a 3 night minimum

3 night minimum stay
2 day park hopper or 2 day ticket w/WPAM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter