free dining - low availablility!! (yes, this is embarassing)

missycj96

DIS Veteran
Hello - first, don't laugh at me. We are going down with the free dining for 10 days next week. We are true Disney veterans and have been there many times. But, I have never vacationed with my baby before so I didn't know how or where exactly our days would go so I didn't want the pressure of having to make a dinner reservation. So (unlike all my other trips) I made a decision not to make any adr's. But after reading the posts I got nervous and started calling. I just got off the phone with disney and it was really disturbing. There is almost nothing for good restaurants for anything that sounds like a normal dinner hour for 1 TS credit dinners. Let me be specific - I couldn't get the Kona Cafe, the Concourse Steak house, Boma or Prime Time for any normal dinner in a 10 day period (only 4- and if I'm lucky 5) or after 9:30 or so. The 2 TS seemed more open. If we were still just me and dh, the 9:00 dinners would have been fine, but not with a baby! I am going to call back with some of my second choices after I rethink this. So as embarassing as this post is (after reading all the who would not make ADR posts), I am saying don't let this happen to you - call now.

Try for lunch instead of dinner. Either early lunches before you leave for the afternoon, or late lunches.

Please do not give up!! Just by reading these boards I can see that many make ADR's that will not be kept. Things change and sometimes you just are not hungry on a schedule.

I would call the night before *55 from your room and ask. If they cannot give you what you want you might try asking for other availability.

You can try again from the parks *88 from any phone or even just walk by and ask. It has often worked for us.

Good luck!! :cheer2:

Slightly Goofy

I started making my adrs a couple weeks back. We're stuck with all lunch and breakfast hours for TS. Not a biggie as I don't like to eat heavy in the evening anyway, but a Fantasmic dinner meal would have been nice. :confused3

Just keep trying.

I agree with the others...keep trying. OR, figure out some good places for breakfast and lunch...sometimes a late lunch is nice so that you have your evenings free and you aren't weighted down with heavy food at night.

It is really sad for those that don't make ADR's that everything is crammed during free dining. :guilty:

i read that some of the restaurants are either opening earlier than normal for dinner and/or serving lunch where they did not previously to accomodate all the free diners... personally, w/a baby i'd think lunch would be a great choice!

I don't know how you feel about 'Ohana for dinner, but I called 2 days ago for an ADR for 7 people in mid-September and had my choice of about 8 prime times! She offered me 5, 5:15, 5:30, 7, 7:15, 7:30, etc.
Just a heads up if you would like to eat there.

Yesterday I was able to get a 4:10 pm ADR for 'Ohana. They added earlier times. Also, I know I will probably be cancelling at least one of my ADRs. My schedule always changes when I get there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will probably cancel. So try while you are at the parks or in your resort.

twinklebug, bless your little heart. You can breathe a sigh of relief if the worst thing that is bothering you is not getting a Fantasmic Package. It is greatly overrated IMO. :sunny:

I have been many times and I quickly learned that having to walk all the way back up to the front of the park and then down that long, not to mention boring and with no seating should you or a loved one tire out, walkway and then back UP the steps to whatever seat they assign you is not at all anything special.

There are no bad seats. If you sit down close you will get dripping wet which might be a plus if it is very hot but not if it is cold.

Unless it is high season it is not likely that there will be no seats available.

Stop your worrying and just enjoy. It will be fine. :cheer2:

Slightly Goofy (who prefers to sit near the top as it is easier to get in and OUT of.

3princesses4us said:
I don't know how you feel about 'Ohana for dinner, but I called 2 days ago for an ADR for 7 people in mid-September and had my choice of about 8 prime times! She offered me 5, 5:15, 5:30, 7, 7:15, 7:30, etc.
Just a heads up if you would like to eat there.

Mid-September is WAY different for bookings compared to the time the OP is going - in two weeks. This is still prior to Labour Day, and while the tail end of August does get slower, this is still technically the very end of regular season.

Our family is arriving on Sept. 5th, and we made our ADR's back at the end of June. Admittedly, that is very early for value season, but when I was on the phone, I asked the CM what was available for times for each restaurant - her reply, "what time do you want, everything's open".

Oh, and also as a piece of advice to the people taking a baby for the first time - early dinners are NOT a bad thing - 4:30 can be ideal. Mostly, it depends on the baby's schedule, but having a sitdown dinner when it is less crowded and a baby along might be better in the long run.

If you have an early dinner, do the following -

Have a light breakfast, maybe using a snack credit for some fruit or something. Use your counter service and have an early lunch - around 11 am - it won't be crowded then either. The portions are still big enough that a Counter Service lunch at 11 should hold you until dinner at 4:30.

You'll be done dinner by 6, and have the evening free - with a baby along, you might not be having a late night out anyway.

SlightlyGoofy said:
Please do not give up!! Just by reading these boards I can see that many make ADR's that will not be kept. Things change and sometimes you just are not hungry on a schedule.

I would call the night before *55 from your room and ask. If they cannot give you what you want you might try asking for other availability.

You can try again from the parks *88 from any phone or even just walk by and ask. It has often worked for us.

Good luck!! :cheer2:

Slightly Goofy

This is a good idea. There will also be some no shows too, which doesn't really help you now.

:dance3: :dance3:

SlightlyGoofy said:
twinklebug, bless your little heart. You can breathe a sigh of relief if the worst thing that is bothering you is not getting a Fantasmic Package. It is greatly overrated IMO. :sunny:

I have been many times and I quickly learned that having to walk all the way back up to the front of the park and then down that long, not to mention boring and with no seating should you or a loved one tire out, walkway and then back UP the steps to whatever seat they assign you is not at all anything special.

There are no bad seats. If you sit down close you will get dripping wet which might be a plus if it is very hot but not if it is cold.

Unless it is high season it is not likely that there will be no seats available.
Stop your worrying and just enjoy. It will be fine. :cheer2:

Slightly Goofy (who prefers to sit near the top as it is easier to get in and OUT of.

Good to KNOW!!! Thanks! :wizard: :goodvibes

My daughter's best friend's family is going to be at WDW at the same time as us. Two weeks ago, they had not made an ADR, so I sent them our list, with suggestions for each park, and included MK resorts, too.

DD just reported that the family (arrives 1 week from today), has ressies for:

'Ohana, Grand Floridian Café, Sci Fi, Aloha dinner, CRT, Le Cellier, and...some Italian restaurant (DD wasn't sure). I don't know what the times are, but I think that they did awesome!

I guess what I am saying is: be somewhat flexible (we always eat early!), keep trying, and enjoy your trip!

Having been with a baby several times, I say take those early dinner times :)
When you have an early ADR you are less likely to have to wait for your table, which helps with a baby. Also, the restaurant will most likely have other families who won't be as bothered if baby fusses just a little. And, when you are among the first seatings, the restaurant isn't full and you tend to get great service from the wait staff.
I made all my ADR's for the end of Sept. at 180 days and I still took those early times. Now I am hearing some restaurants are opening up earlier so I guess we won't be the first seatings as I had planned, but I'm happy with what I was able to get.
Have fun with the baby :Pinkbounc

Remember to keep checking back and also checking the cancellation threads. If not, I would also book for lunch, just as good!

I called back - I got a 6:30 for Boma! I got a late lunch at Prime Time (3:45). And I took a 4:30 at Concourse. So, its coming along. Maybe with the baby these early dinners will work out great - so I'm optimistic. The CM who was helping me (who was really teriffic and helpful) told me that the resort is unusually full for this time of year due to all the promotions. For Concourse, he said he had a note telling them to advise people that if they don't have an ADR not to do try to walk in.

one more thing - still no fantasmic dining packages available -not at any time and not at any restaurant for the days that I asked about.

thanks to everyone for all your help and support, especially about dining early with a baby. I am thinking about it and that really will turn out for the best. Now I am sorry I didn't take some offered earlier times (LOL).

I had posted this because I wanted people to realize that availability really is getting very tight the end of August and the ADRs appear absolutely necessary.

thanks again!!!

I think Disney is taking steps now to help lessen what the OP and others will likely face during free dining.
IF all rumors read here are true --
First, the no-ADR buffet at the Noodle Station location in MK. (Seems likely as they did the same thing in Epcot last NYE in the old Millenium Village.)
Second, during free dining is Cast block out dining discount. And even before that the dining discount usually was not good until after 8:30. During free dining it is eliminated entirely.
Third, calling guests to verify if they have ADRs. And even suggesting to guests to book TS meals for breakfast or lunch.
Fourth, extending restaurant hours.
Fifth, allowing guests to convert TS credits for CS and an additional perk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter