• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP + What we know and what we want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
KrazeeK120 said:
First of all, I beg everyone's pardon in case these questions have already been answered on one of the FP+ threads. I haven't had time to read them all. I also apologize if I am just dumb, which is also likely.

I'm going to Disney world next week. I did get the new website and mobile app to work and have my reservations linked. I have a package with hotel, tickets, and QSDP. We are also doing 1 TS restaurant, which I was also able to link. So...I've gotten that far.

I can't find anything relating to FP+ on either the website or the mobile app. As far as I can tell, FP+ isn't fully rolled out to everyone yet. Is this true? Or is there somewhere I can go and reserve FP+?

One last question, all rides that have had regular FP still have them for the time being, correct? As in, will I be able to use regular FP next week when I'm there?

I thought I was planning a quick, easy birthday trip for myself but this is turning into a headache!!!

I would expect no changes over the next few weeks.

First of all, I beg everyone's pardon in case these questions have already been answered on one of the FP+ threads. I haven't had time to read them all. I also apologize if I am just dumb, which is also likely.

I'm going to Disney world next week. I did get the new website and mobile app to work and have my reservations linked. I have a package with hotel, tickets, and QSDP. We are also doing 1 TS restaurant, which I was also able to link. So...I've gotten that far.

I can't find anything relating to FP+ on either the website or the mobile app. As far as I can tell, FP+ isn't fully rolled out to everyone yet. Is this true? Or is there somewhere I can go and reserve FP+?

One last question, all rides that have had regular FP still have them for the time being, correct? As in, will I be able to use regular FP next week when I'm there?

I thought I was planning a quick, easy birthday trip for myself but this is turning into a headache!!!

It isn't live yet. Don't worry about it.

It's fine to suggest touring one park in the morning without using FP+ during quiet periods. When it's busy those headliners can fill up really fast even early in the morning. You could spend a lot of time just waiting with this new system.

Personally I like both headliners and less popular rides. The trouble is that others will head for those headliners and it'll be difficult to ride without faspasses. I also love the Haunted Mansion and Star Tours most of all and riding these several times is thrilling for me. I just wonder how likely that will be any more. :(

It's fine to suggest touring one park in the morning without using FP+ during quiet periods. When it's busy those headliners can fill up really fast even early in the morning. You could spend a lot of time just waiting with this new system.

Personally I like both headliners and less popular rides. The trouble is that others will head for those headliners and it'll be difficult to ride without faspasses. I also love the Haunted Mansion and Star Tours most of all and riding these several times is thrilling for me. I just wonder how likely that will be any more. :(

The part we can't predict at this point is the effect the mere presence of FP+ will have on some of these lesser attractions. It used to be that you didn't need FP for most attractions during the first hour. But if people take FP+ slots in that first hour, that will slow down what used to be a very fast moving standby line.

I am 36, and one of the few people left on the planet without a smart phone, (but I do have an iPad).
Just booked a first week of May trip on site, 5 nights with Hoppers.

This is all so confusing to me but my main thought is: what used to be a nicely paced vacation with a few scheduled ADR's and basic touring plan in May will turn into an over-scheduled, overly pre-planned down to the minute "vacation" and that no time in the parks will ever be "low crowds" any more.

I think the primary goal of all of this is to balance out the crowds. It does say that FP+ distribution can vary based on time of the year, day of the week, and park. It sounds to me that there is going to be a way to offer incentives to get patrons to attend certain parks at certain times and funnel people to specific rides.

There is much more to this than 3 FP+ for everyone. That isn't going to cause anybody to do anything Disney wants. And that isn't going to replace EMH and FD offers in filling up the resorts. Something else is coming.

Goal #1 - get EVERYBODY on the bracelet! Goal #2 - fill up the Resorts Goal #3 distribute patrons more evenly over all the parks and throughout different times of the year (I still think will happen with dynamic pricing).

There has to be additional ways to "get" more FP+ whether it is purchasing outright or based on Resort package.

Goal #4 - sell more stuff.

Goal #1 - get EVERYBODY on the bracelet! Goal #2 - fill up the Resorts Goal #3 distribute patrons more evenly over all the parks and throughout different times of the year (I still think will happen with dynamic pricing).

There has to be additional ways to "get" more FP+ whether it is purchasing outright or based on Resort package.

Goal #4 - sell more stuff.

So you're saying the bracelet is the "gateway drug"?

I'm kind of thinking the same thing.

I think the primary goal of all of this is to balance out the crowds. It does say that FP+ distribution can vary based on time of the year, day of the week, and park. It sounds to me that there is going to be a way to offer incentives to get patrons to attend certain parks at certain times and funnel people to specific rides.

There is much more to this than 3 FP+ for everyone. That isn't going to cause anybody to do anything Disney wants. And that isn't going to replace EMH and FD offers in filling up the resorts. Something else is coming.

Not really.. unless your name on a billboard in the Indy Speedway is really "something.. "

Not really.. unless your name on a billboard in the Indy Speedway is really "something.. "

This can't be the whole package. It won't meet the needs of the stated goals.

From NYtimes:
"Mr. Staggs said Disney’s board decided to move ahead with the technology upgrades in February 2011 only after identifying multiple ways in which the initiative could expand profits. “If Disney can drive more value from existing infrastructure by layering on technology, that is extremely powerful,” said Mr. Brown of Lo-Q. “They can’t just compete by building new rides; it’s already a theme-park arms race out there.”

There is no way 3 little FP's to replace the old system is going to gain more value out of the infrastructure or fill the resorts. There are tiers coming.

For some reason I suddenly can't quote, but bcook's post got me thinking...I would LOVE to know what the average FP utilization per guest was.

The ONLY way I can see this getting people out of lines is if they expect FP+ average utilization will be higher than it was with FP. Now, by placing a limit of 3, I expect they believe that the "uberusers" need to be limited but are probably a smaller group than the many they hope will now utilize FP+ who didn't or under-utilized FP before.

But still, to do that, they need to get people to use it. And to use it, they need to understand it, and it needs to be easy.

For some reason I suddenly can't quote, but bcook's post got me thinking...I would LOVE to know what the average FP utilization per guest was.

The ONLY way I can see this getting people out of lines is if they expect FP+ average utilization will be higher than it was with FP. Now, by placing a limit of 3, I expect they believe that the "uberusers" need to be limited but are probably a smaller group than the many they hope will now utilize FP+ who didn't or under-utilized FP before.

But still, to do that, they need to get people to use it. And to use it, they need to understand it, and it needs to be easy.

And if people didn't understand the old system. There's no hope for them understanding the new one.

All I see this doing is rationing FP. If that's all they wanted to do, they could have programmed their computers to limit each ticket to 3 FPs distributed the old way.

We have a reservation with a DVC member on rented points. We we be able tp participate in the FP+?

And if people didn't understand the old system. There's no hope for them understanding the new one.

All I see this doing is rationing FP. If that's all they wanted to do, they could have programmed their computers to limit each ticket to 3 FPs distributed the old way.

But they had to spin the "plus" side...being able to do it in advance, which probably to a lot of people sounds like a great idea...

That is a great point! What is the average FP usage numbers. Based on FP distributions throughout the day - it sure looks like a LOT of people are grabbing FP. I can't imagine 3 FP is significantly better than the average. We still don't even know if all 3 can be used for Headliners. IF EVERYBODY knows how to get a FP for TSMM, then EVERYBODY knows how to get FP for everything. I know there are the funny stories of some people who think FP costs money, but they have to be in the minority.

Yup! That would reach the same goal. But then they wouldn't be able to send out reminders: "No waiting on the Riverboat, come now and you can steer." ;)

I was being negligent on my previous post, I forgot this little nugget:

Mr. Staggs explained that research indicated that guests — particularly mothers with strollers — viewed the turnstiles as an unpleasant barrier. “Small, subtle things can make a big difference,”

3 in a day might be the average for guests that currently use FPs. It could be where the number came from.

That may be. I wonder though, if the average person uses three - How happy will they be by being limited to one park a day, one FP per ride a day, and having to decide to use them for things we didn't use before. No matter what the average person is going to be limited on the headliners.

Initially the average person will be bitter, but with the turnover rate at the parks, it won't take long to build a new fan base.

That may be. I wonder though, if the average person uses three - How happy will they be by being limited to one park a day, one FP per ride a day, and having to decide to use them for things we didn't use before. No matter what the average person is going to be limited on the headliners.

Initially the average person will be bitter, but with the turnover rate at the parks, it won't take long to build a new fan base.

But they'll have that pretty pink bracelet.......:yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter