• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Interesting because I was thinking just the opposite. We will always visit a certain competitor and I've already been strategizing on how to use fastpasses even more wisely to have more time to spend away from the Disney parks. This isn't just to visit that competitor be to perhaps do more hanging out at the resort and resort hopping and such things. Unless I'm missing something (which is possible since we still only have limited knowledge) it might just free up more time.

You are in the minority of their expectations. I expect we all (on the DIS) are.

By guests spending less time wondering what they'll do next within a park, they expect they'll do more while in the park - and they are hoping that translates into more shopping and eating.

I'm not sure why that expectation is any more realistic than when they first came up with Fastpass.

You are in the minority of their expectations. I expect we all (on the DIS) are.

By guests spending less time wondering what they'll do next within a park, they expect they'll do more while in the park - and they are hoping that translates into more shopping and eating.

I'm not sure why that expectation is any more realistic than when they first came up with Fastpass.

Yup.

It's not like I'm at a loss looking for something else to pass the vacant time.
I just use any "extra" time in a park to ride (or re-ride) more attractions and see more shows.

If someone already plans to leave the park then they probably will do so anyway. I don't see this as making much difference when it comes to that group.

I guess that I can see those that are there for the duration possibly shopping more. A person can only eat so much.

If someone already plans to leave the park then they probably will do so anyway. I don't see this as making much difference when it comes to that group.

I guess that I can see those that are there for the duration possibly shopping more. A person can only eat so much.

It is for the group that has not planned to leave the park. If they feel tied to the park through fast passes and meals already booked they are less likely to go drive I-4 to see what's there.

Limiting the quantity of fastpasses that a guest can get is not a method of getting guests to spend more time in gift shops.

If a guest ducks into a gift shop for several minutes, when he comes out he still has to wait the full length of time in a ride line if he does not have a fastpass. Can anyone suggest (or imagine) a way around that?

1. A family gets in line. One (or more) members can leave, duck into a gift shop, then rejoin the rest of the family.

2. (you finish the story).

am really hoping they get to a larger test WITH NON FULL roll out by the time we arrive in September.
When it gets this large, this test should be available to all guests jumping through the same hoops. For example if volunteers are selected only at deluxe and moderate resort concierge desks, then any guest should be able to report there at the appointed hour(s), follow the same instructions, and have an equal chance of participating.

Looks like some MagicBands are indeed in the wild - and some more details about colors and selection:

http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/05/17/first-look-disneys-mymagic-magicband/

Some interesting details:

- You must choose a color at least 5 days in advance. Less than 5 days everyone gets "Iconic Gray" (was to sensationalize a boring color there...)

- If you do it at least 10 days out, they can be shipped to you. I'm betting there is an upcharge for that.

- You can get your name (9-10 characters) printed on the band - I'm going to assume that likewise has to be done in advance. No idea on an upcharge.

Looks like some MagicBands are indeed in the wild - and some more details about colors and selection:

- You must choose a color at least 5 days in advance. Less than 5 days everyone gets "Iconic Gray" (was to sensationalize a boring color there...)

- If you do it at least 10 days out, they can be shipped to you. I'm betting there is an upcharge for that.

- You can get your name (9-10 characters) printed on the band - I'm going to assume that likewise has to be done in advance. No idea on an upcharge.

According to the link, your name goes on the back of the band, the part that sits on your skin. I was thinking it would be on the front, like a fun ID bracelet for kids to wear with their first names. Other than the possibility of having it returned to you if lost, I don't see the appeal of having your name on the band if no one sees it.

"Iconic Gray"? LOL I guess just "grey" was too boring.

MagicBand Guest Reservation Timeline:

• From booking until 10 days prior reservation date: Each guest can choose a specific color for their band and get their name printed. Guests can also choose to either have their MagicBands shipped directly to their house or to their resort to be picked up from the front desk at check-in. If shipped home, the MagicBands will be sent no earlier than 30 days from the reservation date.
  • From 9 days prior until 5 days prior reservation date: Guests can choose their color online and specify a name, but the only option is to have the MagicBands sent to the resort to be picked up from the front desk at check-in.
  • From 5 days prior until reservation date: Guests can no longer select their color and all guests in party will receive ‘Iconic Gray’ MagicBands at check-in.

According to the link, your name goes on the back of the band, the part that sits on your skin. I was thinking it would be on the front, like a fun ID bracelet for kids to wear with their first names. Other than the possibility of having it returned to you if lost, I don't see the appeal of having your name on the band if no one sees it.

I don't think it was meant as decoration, but for knowing whose is whose, especially if someone wants the same color as someone else. I don't think 9-10 characters is going to get a lost band returned to you any easier than a quick scan of the band and your whole profile coming up.

The often hinted at upsell bands may offer customizations on the outside, but those still seem a ways off.

And meanwhile I'm laughing because we always bemoan the lack of quality merchandise available these days at the parks and resorts -- we literally come home with the money that we'd brought to buy things because we can't find anything of decent-enough quality to buy!

Sigh.

Like everyone else, just kind of sitting and waiting and watching. We head down in 21 days (yipee!) and are eager to know what system(s) we'll be working with. I appreciate having the forum for ideas and even the little wisps of information because frankly, it beats working :rotfl2:

I don't think it was meant as decoration, but for knowing whose is whose, especially if someone wants the same color as someone else. I don't think 9-10 characters is going to get a lost band returned to you any easier than a quick scan of the band and your whole profile coming up.

The often hinted at upsell bands may offer customizations on the outside, but those still seem a ways off.

I was thinking the customization would be different. Knowing whose is whose with names printed on the back does make sense.

The link also states :

"... MagicBands and other MyMagic+ features will begin TESTING... For Cast Members and their guests ONLY.... most likely be open to only 'higher up' Cast Members in management roles... "

forgive me if this has been discussed but i can't read all 19 pages of this thread...but is there any indication of what will be in place to keep track of return times? is it expected that you will have a paper ticket like current FP? or will it be up to the guest to keep track of attractions and return times utilizing their own methods?

forgive me if this has been discussed but i can't read all 19 pages of this thread...but is there any indication of what will be in place to keep track of return times? is it expected that you will have a paper ticket like current FP? or will it be up to the guest to keep track of attractions and return times utilizing their own methods?

Pretty much up to the guest and whatever electronic gizmos they may or may not have.

Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.

Honestly, even as an adult, I wouldn't particularly care to be displaying my real name to the entire world. I don't want strangers calling me by my first name like they know me. (But that may be because I have an LD that affects my ability to recognize faces, so I rely on the cues people give me - like them knowing my name - to determine whether I know them or not.)

Standard safety advice is not to have your child's name visible to the public on any item of clothing or jewelry. Otherwise, someone who doesn't know your child can walk up and start talking to them using their name, and easily convince your child that they are a family friend.

Honestly, even as an adult, I wouldn't particularly care to be displaying my real name to the entire world. I don't want strangers calling me by my first name like they know me. (But that may be because I have an LD that affects my ability to recognize faces, so I rely on the cues people give me - like them knowing my name - to determine whether I know them or not.)

That is fine for you. I feel differently about it for myself and my child.

If your child isn't old enough to realize a stranger isn't a family friend, they shouldn't be left alone.

That is fine for you. I feel differently about it for myself and my child.

If your child isn't old enough to realize a stranger isn't a family friend, they shouldn't be left alone.

"Hi Stacy! Your mom's been in a terrible accident. Come with me and my litter of puppies and kittens, and we'll take you to her in our white van filled with candy." :lmao:

FYI This link also says that the information that started this thread (that FP+ is already live in the parks) is incorrect. I suspect that OP made a lot of this up and has been stringing people along for several dozen posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter