Fourteen Days of Food Booths - Epcot Food & Wine Festival 2014

NejTheLion

Jellyfish Jen
Just moved down to Florida this summer and I have two more weeks until the rest of the family gets here. So I thought I'd see how many of the festival marketplace booths I can knock out in the next 14 days. I mean, I have to eat dinner somewhere, right?

Anyway, I'll be posting my reviews here as I go. Feel free to post if there's something in particular you'd like to hear about!

Oh I cant wait! I am very curious about the new Patagonia booth and the apps at Craft beers, particularly the muffelata pinwheels and the pate`. Also the new slider at Hops & Barley and the new slush drink in France.
Hmmm what else, oh the dessert trio at the dessert & champagne both. I LOVED them last year and this years selections don't sound as good to me but I'm hoping I am wrong!
The Farm Fresh selections are new as well, replaced the Florida Booth I think. So both of those menu selections look interesting, the hash and the yard bird!

163b6b9e23a9587003f6706068c26055.jpg

So, this is one I was interested in trying. I'm far from vegan, but I've enjoyed other "imitation meat" proteins before. While I wouldn't mistake them for meat, it all comes down to preparation and how they're seasoned.

The cake was decently sized. I'd say two would probably make a typical appetizer. It was also cooked well, with good color on the outside. The texture was softer than actual crab meat, and while I wouldn't say it tasted like crab, it did taste like a crab cake, primarily because of the seasoning. I found it to be a touch saltier than it needed to be, and I don't know if that's the protein itself or how it was mixed.

As for the slaw, I'll admit I'm not a fan of bell peppers, so take that into account. The slaw actually didn't taste that much of bell pepper. The ingredients in the slaw were shredded fairly large, so the pepper taste didn't really permeate. My biggest problem with the slaw was that it was far wetter than it needed to be. The vegetables were very overdressed. I also thought it was a bit sweeter than it needed to be if it were paired with real crab. Since this cake was a little too salty, the sweetness of the slaw balanced it out. And I should say that the slaw wasn't overly sweet like some coleslaw I've had. This tasted fresher since the vegetables were kept large.

Thanks for first photo. Veggie daughter may enjoy that one. I'm looking forward to trying the le cellier fillet, the Scottish scallop, New Zealand mussel, Patagonian booth - salmon, Aussie lamb, and Puerto rican carribean conch salad. Never had conch before. And for dessert - the trio dessert paired with Moët :cool1:

Oh and isn't there lobster somewhere :scratchin

While you may not realize it, many wine producers use small amounts of animal products (e.g., gelatin, egg white, milk protein) in their refining process. Most of this is filtered out, but it does mean that wine is not necessarily vegan, although it may appear to just be fermented grape juice.

This Chardonnay was brightly acidic and had slight grassy notes, recalling a Sauvignon Blanc. Crisp and refreshing with a lemony citrus taste, but very light in body. Not as substantial as most Chardonnay.

7980adcfde9e533ca4a1f76c65780a1d.jpg

The escargot have always been a favorite, so I was looking forward to this year's new preparation. This was exactly what I was hoping it would be. For those who dream about escargot drowning in garlicky butter, that's not what this is. While it's a much lighter dish, it is still very rich tasting. The garlic was not over pronounced. It was creamy and savory, and the tart filling was not overly salted. The spinach and escargot gave the dish more of an earthy flavor. I was also pleased that the escargot were incredibly tender, not cooked to the point of becoming chewy. And the tart crust was fantastic. It was light and flaky, but kept its shape when cutting.

I have never tried escargot before and was thinking of getting this. Do you think this is a good escargot dish to start with?

WOW that tart looks ahhhmazing!! I am always really on the fence about escargot but this one I am going to try for sure!!

I have never tried escargot before and was thinking of getting this. Do you think this is a good escargot dish to start with?

Escargot don't have a particularly strong flavor. I think the issue people often have with them is a mental one. If it doesn't bother you to think about eating a snail, you would be fine. Traditionally, escargot are served in a ton of garlic and butter--which is great, mind you--but does have its limits.

I actually think the spinach brought out the earthy, briny flavor of the escargot rather than hiding it.

YAY, it is AWESOME that you are doing these reviews!! Love your pictures and your take on the different dishes. I hope you find time to review everything! This is exactly what those of us who are going later need, thanks for posting! :woohoo:

82e647270f3f73ea66d58fce49256bff.jpg

Any kind of sparkling wine wins in my book. This take on a Kir Royale uses pomegranate instead of the traditional cassis. It might have a been a touch too sweet for me, but it wasn't so much that it wasn't enjoyable. I tend to prefer more acidic drinks than sweet ones. Still nice and refreshing with a beautiful color.

Ooh that pomegranate kir looks nice and refreshing. I just can't eat snails. They eat and destroy my beloved plants :sad2:

ed1ece63fdba18ea357690c03f099f13.jpg

This dish could have been fantastic; there was just one problem. The fish had a very clean taste and was cooked perfectly. I may have lucked out in that regard because they had run out and were cooking more, so I received this one fresh. The big problem is that the fish had no seasoning whatsoever...no salt I could distinguish. Although the sauce was tasty and had that nice, fresh coconut flavor, you have to season your fish. I don't know whether this was an oversight or not. Hopefully it was. The sauce was enough to top everything without drowning the rice. I appreciate good rice on its own, and that was the case here. I can't quite remember now, but I think it was jasmine rice, so it had extra flavor. I'd definitely be willing to give this one another shot.

What wonderful pictures and how much fun is that to enjoy F&W for dinner for 2 weeks. I really enjoyed seeing the Terra careless crab cake as I am newly vegan and when we're there I will be excited to try the vegan offerings!!

Thank you for sharing your journeys with us.

ef3d7f0d74d0f39bbdb3166f5292e696.jpg

I thought they did a nice job with this one. The duck was cooked well, still juicy and not dried out. And the skin had some crispness to it. The hoisin sauce was delicious, and the steamed bun was soft and spongy, as it should be. The fresh spring onions and red onion gave a nice bite to balance the sweet, richness of the sauce.

This juice and tea drink was incredibly refreshing. Mango was definitely the predominant flavor, but the green tea lightened it so that it wasn't straight juice. The bubbles, of course, are the fun part. Bubble tea typically has small tapioca pearls, giving little chewy bites that take on some of the flavor of the drink. The surprise here are the popping bubbles, which are starting to become more prevalent. My assumption is that these are created with a little molecular gastronomy, creating pearls that burst with juice when you bite into them. The one thing I would change here was the amount of these bubbles. I was typically sucking up one or two with each swallow in the large straw. But by the time I finished the drink, there were still 2-3 layers of bubbles at the bottom of the cup. Not sure I needed that many. They're fun to chew on with the drink, but I didn't need to sit there and eat them on their own.

One other note for the China booth: it was around 7:45 on the first night of the festival, and they were apparently out of Mongolian beef. I expect this was just an opening night miscalculation, but it was a little worrisome given the rain kept crowd levels down. Hopefully, they'll correct that moving forward.

b633ca6e59ab18f66d371cbb3bb3a57d.jpg

This was unbelievably good, best of the night by far, and one of the best things I've ever had at one of these booths. First off, the portion was huge, as you can see. The chicken was cooked perfectly, incredibly juicy. And my understanding is that this is pressed like a brick chicken, so the skin is crispy and delicious. The greens were cooked down, but still had texture to them with just the right amount of vinegar. The habanero sauce was great, too. Reminiscent of a buffalo sauce, and even though it used habanero, it wasn't overly spicy - just the right amount of heat. Everything was working with this dish, and I look forward to having it again!

8931ae85523caa80d015eac55693093e.jpg

I'm a fan of corn used in desserts. Its natural sweetness is more than enough for me. Although I'm sure there was probably a little sugar added in this one, it was all about the corn. This was very tasty, with a little whip cream and caramel on top. Now, the cheese cake wasn't quite set in the middle, closer to a pudding. But the outer edges were more firm. A sweet, creamy ending to the night :)

Yum, thanks for those reviews! Heading down in a few weeks and taking note of what to get. I may have missed it, but interested particularly in the last two dishes, but did not see where they were served or what they were called.

Yum, thanks for those reviews! Heading down in a few weeks and taking note of what to get. I may have missed it, but interested particularly in the last two dishes, but did not see where they were served or what they were called.

Look above each photo :) Mmmmm yard bird!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter