Four Parks, One Dope: A 2015 Dopey Challenge Trip Report!

Breaking news that only I care about...

I AM IN!!! :cool1:
unnamed.jpg

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

This Dumb Dope is going Coast to Coast in 2015!!! SOOO EXCITED! AHHHHHHHH ALLLL THE MEDALS!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

that is all.

:goodvibes
Hello!

I know this report is old...but here's part 2. My Dumbo Double Dare Trip Report! :)

Final Thoughts

Because I just like hearing myself talk (seeing myself type? :confused:) that much more...

The Boardwalk Inn: This trip made me fall in love with this resort again. Everything was fantastic, and it's a special place for me and Will (we stayed here for our honeymoon in 2009 :lovestruc). Definitely my favorite resort at Walt Disney World.

Food: Let's see...new-to-me places on this trip were The Plaza and Yachtsman Steakhouse. The Plaza was good but Yachtsman was an awesome, awesome surprise. We will be going there again!! ::yes::

The Parks: So many walls! In Magic Kingdom (around the hub), the Studios (around the hat) and in Animal Kingdom (seemingly everywhere - big part of the reason we didn’t go there this trip). But I'm excited for the changes that are coming to WDW, especially at the Studios. :hyper: Can't wait to see what’s moving in!

Final Thoughts - Dopey Challenge

Going Dopey: Zero regrets - overall I loved it and had a blast. The hardest part - and I knew this going into it - was waking up so early 4 days in a row. I might sound like a jerk for saying this, but the races were really not that bad. Part of that is luck, I think (see below) and part of that was by design - I worked hard to prepare for this weekend, and it totally paid off. Beyond that, though, I think experience really helped me a lot. I've been running regularly for about 7 years now and this was my 15th 5K race, 2nd 10K race, 14th half marathon and 3rd marathon. By now I know what kind of training works for me and my body is somewhat used to running this mileage (as used to it as possible, I guess :rotfl2:). Even more than that, though, just knowing that I'd done these distances before gave me such confidence this time - that was a huge, huge help to me. Running is just so very mental.

The Weather: Now...I can pat myself on the back all I want for the training that I did...but I really think that a HUGE reason why this weekend went so well for me is the weather. As much as I whined about being cold, this really was ideal race weather.

In 2013, when I did Goofy + the 5K, there were heat advisories all weekend (temperatures in the mid-60s at the start with almost 100% humidity). The last 14.2 miles of the marathon were tough for me - my feet were cramping and my quads were on fire. I was exhausted when the whole thing was done and it took a few days of sleeping 12+ hours to feel normal. I swore wouldn't do it (Goofy + the 5K) again.

This year everything was easier. I didn't cramp, my quads were sore, but not as bad, and exhaustion-wise, I felt almost completely normal the next day. I think both Will and I were really surprised by that - there were numerous times later on Sunday when Will said I wasn't acting like I'd run a marathon at all that morning. I have to think that the weather had a LOT to do with that - I just didn't sweat as much, so I was better hydrated and didn't lose as many electrolytes. So this is the luck that I was referring to above when I was talking about why I think Dopey went so well for me - the cooler-than-usual weather was, for me, just ideal.

Sometimes I wonder how different things would have been in warmer temperatures...but then I look at my pretty bling and get distracted by the shininess. :)

Dopey as a first marathon? It absolutely works for some people - it would not have worked for me. Before I could do a 10K, I had to know I could do a 5K. Before I could do a 10-miler, I had to know I could do a 10K...and so on. I'm so glad I did Goofy and the 5K in 2013 before taking on the Dopey Challenge - such a huge confidence booster.

Race weekends at Disney: So obviously I am somewhat addicted to these weekends :) This was my third time at Marathon Weekend and my 7th runDisney race weekend overall (including Princess twice and Wine & Dine twice), and I already have my next two planned out. But - and this happened after Goofy + 5K too - I am ready for a non-race trip. Especially when doing the challenges, there's just not a lot of time for anything that isn't running or sleeping. I handled it better this year because knew it was coming, but it stung a bit to see Instagram shots of things I missed when I was running, or taking a nap, or going to bed early. I know that's what I signed myself up for, and I don't regret it...but I'm ready for a non-running trip, for sure.

Going Dopey Again: Yep. ::yes:: It's gonna happen...probably not until 2018 (5th anniversary of the Dopey Challenge and 25th anniversary of the marathon! IMAGINE THE BLING!!!), but it'll happen. :)

Up Next: No Disney for awhile, unfortunately...but the second half of this year will be really fun for me. I've got 2 cruises on the Fantasy booked (and I'll be running the Castaway Cay 5K at least once, as long as it's free, even though I swore I'd never do it again...because they have new medallions...and I need one :eek:) AND 2 trips to Disneyland planned (one for Disneyland Half Weekend and another later in the year - NOT runDisney-related). And then the Disney Princess 5K + the Glass Slipper Challenge in 2016. So the second half of 2015 and the beginning of 2016 should be pretty magical.

16417311356_5760c3aae1_z.jpg

Thanks for reading along, friends! TTFN! :wave:

I just read your entire Trip Report and I loved every second of it. You were phenomenal, great job all weekend! The Bling!! And all the fun you had with your husband & friends. I love this so much! Congrats on your accomplishment!

I just read your entire Trip Report and I loved every second of it. You were phenomenal, great job all weekend! The Bling!! And all the fun you had with your husband & friends. I love this so much! Congrats on your accomplishment!
:) Thank you so much for reading! You are too nice. :) I really appreciate it!

2015 Walt Disney World Marathon! THE FINISH!!

Rather than just running it in, I took a minute-long walk break to sort of collect myself. In the fall I had read a marathon recap from a blogger that I follow, and she said something that has really stuck with me...something that I really agree with: "I've always felt that good races are a victory lap for a successful training cycle." That's what this weekend - this marathon - was for me. It was my victory lap.

I quickly reflected on the ups and downs I'd had in 2014 with running - from PRs (Personal Records) in the spring to disappointing injuries in the fall - and all the work I'd put in for this moment. The 6AM treadmill runs, bundling up for long runs in rain and snow, all of the times when I didn't want to run but did anyway, instances where I could have made excuses, but didn't...and I told myself, "You deserve this. You did the work, and you had an awesome day. This is your victory lap. You did it."

After the minute was up, I began to run again...took a left turn, and then a right turn, and then I was at the straightaway where I could see the finish line.

I've been thoroughly enjoying your Dumbo trip report, and I'm so so happy to have read this one! Wow, what an inspiration you are! I am certainly new to runDisney (princess 2016 will be my first), but having run 6 half marathons I never have had a desire to do a full marathon UNTIL I READ THIS TR!! So thanks, no thanks! ;) Seriously though, the passage above about all you went through in your running year to culminate in the Dopey challenge is beautiful. Thank you for sharing! :)

I've been thoroughly enjoying your Dumbo trip report, and I'm so so happy to have read this one! Wow, what an inspiration you are! I am certainly new to runDisney (princess 2016 will be my first), but having run 6 half marathons I never have had a desire to do a full marathon UNTIL I READ THIS TR!! So thanks, no thanks! ;) Seriously though, the passage above about all you went through in your running year to culminate in the Dopey challenge is beautiful. Thank you for sharing! :)
Well thanks so much for checking out my report! That is so nice of you to say. :)

I never thought I would run a marathon either...now I've done 3. You just never know! Disney really sucks us in. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter