Found white gold diamond bracelet on Dream

I actually agree with the OP's sister. Once I found a diamond tennis bracelet in the parking lot of a 4 star hotel I was staying at. I turned it in at the front desk. A few days later when I was checking out, I noticed that the front desk clerk (the same one I turned it into) was wearing it. I pretended not to notice and asked her if anyone had claimed it. She lied and said someone had while the whole time she was wearing it. It was bizarre, but I learned a lesson. I would tell Guest Services that I had it and then if someone was looking for it, I would ask them to describe it to me. As much as I love Disney, I realize these CMs are actually paid very little and a diamond bracelet is a lot of temptation.

Well, it'd be kind of dumb to wear it to work if it weren't hers, being it was lost in the parking lot where she worked. If it weren't hers, the owner could see it on her, prove it's theirs, and have her fired. Just a though.:duck:

I found a $100 bill in a plastic bag flying around on deck 10 on the Magic. I called guest service and told them I found some money. They called a few hours later and said a guest asked if they had found some money. It was described as a $100 bill folded and in a plascic bag. I returned it to guest services. Didn't even get a thank you from the guest who lost it. If someone would have returned my money I would have at least sent a thank you note.

I found a $100 bill in a plastic bag flying around on deck 10 on the Magic. I called guest service and told them I found some money. They called a few hours later and said a guest asked if they had found some money. It was described as a $100 bill folded and in a plascic bag. I returned it to guest services. Didn't even get a thank you from the guest who lost it. If someone would have returned my money I would have at least sent a thank you note.

Several years ago we were driving down the interstate and saw a suit case in the middle of the highway. We stopped and picked it up and figured it had blown off of someone's car roof. We could not find a name tag so opened it. There were nice clothes for a man and woman and $400 in $1 bills. The one dollar bills were in stacks of ten rapped with a rubber band and 10 of the small bundles were bound, there were 4 of these. My son, who was about 7, looked at the big wad of money and proclaimed, "We're rich!" I told him this was not our money. We needed to find the owners. I told my wife that with all the dollar bills this must belong to a stripper. She gave me a dirty look.

We found a name and address inside but no phone number. I called information but phone could not be found. My wife sent a letter to the address telling them we found their suitcase and a week later they came to our house to claim it.

The suitcase belonged to newlyweds on their honeymoon. The brides mother was a waitress and had saved tips for their wedding gift. They laughed and said whoever found it would probably think it belonged to a stripper. "Oh no, we didn't think that!" :-). They were so grateful. They bought us 2 bottles of brandy as a reward.

Rogillio said:
Several years ago we were driving down the interstate and saw a suit case in the middle of the highway. We stopped and picked it up and figured it had blown off of someone's car roof. We could not find a name tag so opened it. There were nice clothes for a man and woman and $400 in $1 bills. The one dollar bills were in stacks of ten rapped with a rubber band and 10 of the small bundles were bound, there were 4 of these. My son, who was about 7, looked at the big wad of money and proclaimed, "We're rich!" I told him this was not our money. We needed to find the owners. I told my wife that with all the dollar bills this must belong to a stripper. She gave me a dirty look.

We found a name and address inside but no phone number. I called information but phone could not be found. My wife sent a letter to the address telling them we found their suitcase and a week later they came to our house to claim it.

The suitcase belonged to newlyweds on their honeymoon. The brides mother was a waitress and had saved tips for their wedding gift. They laughed and said whoever found it would probably think it belonged to a stripper. "Oh no, we didn't think that!" :-). They were so grateful. They bought us 2 bottles of brandy as a reward.

This made me smile! What a great story!

It is nice to read these posts. Honest people are still out there.

Character is what you do when no one is looking and expecting no reward(my addition). Is what we teach our kids.

:rotfl2: This reminded me I found a drivers license once at the beach parking lot. I mailed it to the address listed but didn't give a return address.

We found the plastic pouch from a lanyard once inside Goofy's Candy Co. There was the room key/ticket, credit card, along with cash folded up inside. I didn't even look to see how much cash was inside, I immediately took it to a CM and hoped that they would return to the proper owner since the room key was inside.

Too bad not everyone is honest :-(

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Thank you all for sharing these wonderful stories! Good to know there are still good, honest people in this world! :)

I actually agree with the OP's sister. Once I found a diamond tennis bracelet in the parking lot of a 4 star hotel I was staying at. I turned it in at the front desk. A few days later when I was checking out, I noticed that the front desk clerk (the same one I turned it into) was wearing it. I pretended not to notice and asked her if anyone had claimed it. She lied and said someone had while the whole time she was wearing it. It was bizarre, but I learned a lesson. I would tell Guest Services that I had it and then if someone was looking for it, I would ask them to describe it to me. As much as I love Disney, I realize these CMs are actually paid very little and a diamond bracelet is a lot of temptation.

Well let's see--Disney takes theft extremely seriously. Any cast member caught stealing would be instantly terminated. So knowing that, a guest services CM would, on the fly, have to make sure that nobody overheard the report that it had been found, fill out a form and then somehow destroy it without anyone noticing, either slip the bracelet into his/her pocket (again without anyone noticing) or place it in the area of lost items to retrieve later and hope nobody else saw it before he/she could come back and get it. Then he/she would have to get it to his/her shared, cramped quarters and hope that none of his/her coworkers saw it, and then somehow get it home. All while hoping there weren't any security cameras trained on him/her at some point in that process. That seems like a pretty big risk and a whole lot of effort to steal something.

It's very easy to lose a piece of jewelry and not notice it until well after the loss. I know I've lots a number of things and couldn't tell you exactly when or where the loss occurred. If the rightful owner didn't realize it was lost on the boat, chances are high he or she would figure it out once they got home and would contact DCL to try to find it. Of course, if the guest who found it decided to take it home at the end of the cruise because of some self-appointed statute of limitations on lost property (being the end of the cruise), the owner would then have absolutely zero chance of recovering their property.

So maybe the CM pockets it or the finder decides to take it home after nobody claims it. Either way, both are taking home something that doesn't belong to them, and neither are doing everything they can to make sure the item is returned to its rightful owner. I don't see how the latter is "better."

Or the CM is honest, follows Disney policy, and the owner has a decent chance of getting their property back.

Well let's see--Disney takes theft extremely seriously. Any cast member caught stealing would be instantly terminated. So knowing that, a guest services CM would, on the fly, have to make sure that nobody overheard the report that it had been found, fill out a form and then somehow destroy it without anyone noticing, either slip the bracelet into his/her pocket (again without anyone noticing) or place it in the area of lost items to retrieve later and hope nobody else saw it before he/she could come back and get it. Then he/she would have to get it to his/her shared, cramped quarters and hope that none of his/her coworkers saw it, and then somehow get it home. All while hoping there weren't any security cameras trained on him/her at some point in that process. That seems like a pretty big risk and a whole lot of effort to steal something.

There are tons of reasons why people should not steal and yet people still do. I've seen people risk a $100k/year job by stealing office supplies. People do steal and not everyone who finds money rushes to turn it in. People cheat on their taxes and fudge chartible deductions and if they get too much change back from a clerk, some people will keep it. I wish every one were honest but that is just not the real world. Let's not be naive like my mom....who once mailed a cash deposit to her bank and naively wrote on the outside of the envelope "CASH".....needless to say, the money never showed up at the bank. She was shocked that someone with the trusted US Postal Service would steal that money.

Even with the possibility of a cast member stealing it, a guest who takes home found property rather than turning it over has NOT done everything they could to make sure the owner has the best possible chance of getting their property back. Leaving a note with Guest Services and then deciding at the end of the cruise "too bad, so sad" and taking it home is not putting forth a best effort. The "Well the cast member is probably going to steal it if nobody steps forward before the end of the cruise so it's better off with me" is a pretty sad justification, IMO.

One day my children will learn "finders-keepers, losers-weepers" but they won't learn it from ME.

Years ago, my daughter dropped her Tinkerbell hat while we were visiting Carowinds (amusement park in Charlotte, NC). Later on that day we saw a teen carrying a big stuffed animal that she had won wearing the hat. We figured she had found it on the ground and just put it on the animals head so I approached her and asked her if she had found the hat. She looked at me like I was crazy and told me, no, she had brought it from home. It was a Disney parks exclusive hat, so we highly doubted that she had really brought a toddlers hat from home just to put on a prize that she had hoped to win. My daughter, who was three at the time was distraught. She was sobbing about this hat while the girl just looked at her. We saw the girl again later and that sparked another round of crying so we found a security guard and told him our story, complete with the size of the hat. He talked to the girl and her friends and told us that the hat was the right size but that she wouldn't admit that she hadn't brought it from home. He said he knew it was our hat but since we didn't have her name it in we couldn't prove it. He then walked my dd into the closest store and let her pick out any hat she wanted. We still have that Dora the Explorer hat. It was a harsh lesson in "finders keepers" for my preschooler, but it was a good life lesson on why you always turn things in. She will be 15 next month and still remembers how dishonest that girl was.

Even with the possibility of a cast member stealing it, a guest who takes home found property rather than turning it over has NOT done everything they could to make sure the owner has the best possible chance of getting their property back. Leaving a note with Guest Services and then deciding at the end of the cruise "too bad, so sad" and taking it home is not putting forth a best effort. The "Well the cast member is probably going to steal it if nobody steps forward before the end of the cruise so it's better off with me" is a pretty sad justification, IMO.

One day my children will learn "finders-keepers, losers-weepers" but they won't learn it from ME.

I strive to be pefectly honest without even the thought of dishonest intent in everything I do and say....but I'm not perfect and often fall short. I don't think I'd of left the ship with the necklace but even if I had, the ship had my name and contact information.

I strive to be pefectly honest without even the thought of dishonest intent in everything I do and say....but I'm not perfect and often fall short. I don't think I'd of left the ship with the necklace but even if I had, the ship had my name and contact information.

Yes, you absolutely did the right thing and your story had a happy ending for both you and the bracelet's owner!!! And as someone posted earlier, the bracelet's owner is known to a DISer (or may even be a DISer themselves) and was very relieved to get the bracelet back. It's been great reading so many stories of returned lost property on this thread. I was speaking more toward the larger issue and a larger generalized attitude.

I once found $100 bill at the local mall. I went straight to guest services and reported that I found some money and left my name/number. I asked that they give my name/number to anyone who claims they lost some money. The person at GS acted like I was being criminal and became rude. He kept asking me how much money I found and I told him that I didn't feel I needed to share that. The man told me that I should tell him how much it was or turn it in because they would try to get the money back to the person it belonged to. I told him that I was also trying to get it back to the rightful owners which is why I was leaving my name/number. I did have a couple of calls for lost money so I knew they were giving out my number but the amounts didn't match. I still have the $100 bill and it has been 2 years. :) I guess what I wanted to share is that sometimes when people keep something they've found, they do so because they think it is the best way to get it back to the rightful owner. I worked at the mall while in college and saw many things that were turned in and went home that night with an employee.

I know you were trying to be honest but it's best that you turn it in right away. I used to work in the hotels and I turned everything in. If no one claimed it after 90 days-you got to keep it. My then boyfriend did that when he found a pair of sapphire & diamonds earrings in an supposedly empty safety deposit box. 90 days later-he got the call that no one had claimed them. He gave them to me. I am still glad I married him!

My DH was a bellman at hotel and found a diamond earring. He turned it in and 90 days later got to keep it. He sold it and used the money for my Christmas gift. My first trip to Disney World! :goodvibes

My 8-year-old DD found a $50 bill at Target. She excitedly picked it up and asked, "What should I do with it?" I asked her, "what do you think?" She thought for a second and said, "I think I should bring it to the counter because if it was my money, I'd be really sad if I lost it and I would want someone would turn it in." She was saving for such a long time to buy an iPod and that would have been enough money for her to buy one. But she didn't even seem to consider keeping the money. Very proud mom moment :) So we brought it to the manager at guest services. I know there is a good chance that person pocketed the money, but at least my DD chose to do the right thing and we both felt good about that!

While on the dream we went to the Atlantis excursion. My father put his license, Ktw card and credit card in the plastic lanyard pouch and wore it on his neck. Sometime during the day the lanyard fell off on one of the water rides. We were frantic and afraid he would not be able to get back on the ship. After contacting several guest service folks at the Atlantis hotel, we gave up and headed to the ship. We were worried, but I figured Disney would not leave him stranded. Well the lanyard was found by another cruiser and they left it with the checkin folks on the ship. After telling them what happened, the CM handed dad back his lanyard. We were so great full it was turned in. I am sure he would not have been stranded in Nassau (especially since his passport was in the room safe) but we were relieved and very grateful to get it back.

and naively wrote on the outside of the envelope "CASH".....needless to say, the money never showed up at the bank.

This made me LOL. I know it isn't funny...I can't help it.

I believe that most people wouldn't set out to steal money. However, you leave money just laying around and even good people can think twice. This is why older folks get taken advantage of so much. They have home care or go to a hospital with cash (that generation is so different from the current one where sometimes I have to hunt around to even find $2 cash for donut day at my kids school :rolleyes1 ) and their cash gets stolen.

Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter