Fort Wilderness Cabins

WellingtonR

Earning My Ears
We've always stayed at All Star Sports but this year we're upgrading to the Fort Wilderness Cabins. We're arriving the Saturday right after Thanksgiving. Anything I should plan for or expect? Any suggestions or hints?

WellingtonR said:
We've always stayed at All Star Sports but this year we're upgrading to the Fort Wilderness Cabins. We're arriving the Saturday right after Thanksgiving. Anything I should plan for or expect? Any suggestions or hints?

I always arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving; expect it to be busy, so check out some resorts. Sunday, AK will be dead and the other parks will still be a bit busy.

Expect the weather to be anything. Check it two days before and layer, layer, layer.

Be prepared to feel somewhat more isolated (insulated?) from Disney at the cabins. They are basically rustic looking (but comfortable) cabins in a woods setting. Not much in the way of Disney touches going on.

Also be prepared to spend some time on the bus. There is an internal bus that you need to take to get to the Disney bus stop to get to the parks and such.

I would love to hear your feedback as well. We had a great time visiting Fort Wilderness for a birthday party, but did not stay the night. I would really like to try the cabins as we do not have an RV.

It's a VERY laid back atmosphere. You can feel very comfortable being on your deck in your pajamas in the morning.

You will have daily housekeeping and if you leave even one glass or spoon or whatever in the sink, it will be in the dishwasher (and cleaned) when you get back.

There's only one bathroom but the kitchen sink is fine for an extra.

Appreciate the nature around you because you will have a lot. Enjoy that and relax.

Very cool.....we are planning to spend one day at the cabin w/o going to a park. Any suggestions on what to do there with the kids....ages 7 and 3.

Be prepared to feel somewhat more isolated (insulated?) from Disney at the cabins. They are basically rustic looking (but comfortable) cabins in a woods setting. Not much in the way of Disney touches going on.

Also be prepared to spend some time on the bus. There is an internal bus that you need to take to get to the Disney bus stop to get to the parks and such.

To me, the cabins feel more relaxed, and I think the decor is adorable with many Disney touches. Perfect little cabin in the woods :)

You won't be able to walk to a food court. You'll have to take a bus to the trading post, unless you rent a golf cart. You'll have a full kitchen so bring food. If you have a car you'll be parked right in front of your cabin.

see if you can rent a golf cart, so you dont have to spend all your time on or waiting for the internal bus

There is a lot to do at FW. When we go to FW we don't even go into the parks. Things to do with a 7 and 3 year old include fishing, pony rides, carriage ride, an evening on the beach watching the water parade, and on a separate night the campfire is a must do. Renting a cart is always fun. The camp should be decorated for Christmas and you can drive around at night and look at the decorations. If you haven't already come over the the camping board.

To me, the cabins feel more relaxed, and I think the decor is adorable with many Disney touches. Perfect little cabin in the woods :)

I don't necessarily disagree. There certainly is no resort theming which was my main point. If I'm staying on-site I want Disney.

When we went to HDDR, we thoroughly checked out Ft. Wilderness by foot. We had a lot of time to kill before we had to check into HDDR. We arrived by boat. We stopped and looked at the surrey bikes. Stopped at the trading post, walked up to Crocket's Tavern and sat on the rockers. Saw Trails End Restaurant next door to Crocket's. Pioneer Hall was next to Trails End. Then the Tri-Circle D ranch not much further down the lane to the right. If you went straight the bus stop with the golf carts were located within eye sight. Across the way to left I noticed a cabin not far from the road across the grass. I walked back to check it out. I was always curious about the cabins with a family of 5. I was always curious about the layout of Ft. Wildnerness. Although Ft. Wildnerness is not "Disney" to me and a resort I want to stay, I don't think that it is overwhelming in size at all. I was very surprised how close many things actually were to one another. If you like the camping/Wilderness feel, it is a very nice setup.:thumbsup2

When we went to HDDR, we thoroughly checked out Ft. Wilderness by foot. We had a lot of time to kill before we had to check into HDDR. We arrived by boat. We stopped and looked at the surrey bikes. Stopped at the trading post, walked up to Crocket's Tavern and sat on the rockers. Saw Trails End Restaurant next door to Crocket's. Pioneer Hall was next to Trails End. Then the Tri-Circle D ranch not much further down the lane to the right. If you went straight the bus stop with the golf carts were located within eye sight. Across the way to left I noticed a cabin not far from the road across the grass. I walked back to check it out. I was always curious about the cabins with a family of 5. I was always curious about the layout of Ft. Wildnerness. Although Ft. Wildnerness is not "Disney" to me and a resort I want to stay, I don't think that it is overwhelming in size at all. I was very surprised how close many things actually were to one another. If you like the camping/Wilderness feel, it is a very nice setup.:thumbsup2

You only saw a very small portion of the Fort. Fort Wilderness is huge, it's enormous. If I had never been there your post would make me think I could easily walk the entire place in a short amount of time. It's not like that at all.

Did not mean to cloud anyone's judgment. I stand by what I said. I was surprised how close the key elements of the resort were, including some cabins. Only one person's experience. To be honest, if we decided to stay there after we were at HDDR, we would have booked our vacation based on that exact impression that we had. That is what the boards are about. A culmination of experiences. In the end, people use their own judgement as do I when I book my vacation. Many people hate tattered and torn Poly, but I stay as often as I can as I think it is perfect. I wish people vacationing only the best experiences to make the best memories!

We have stayed in the cabins and really enjoyed having the extra space, inside and outside. Having the full kitchen is a great perk too. I would recommend having a car though. I would drive to all the parks except MK. And drive to the grocery store for food instead of buying at the Fort.

Did not mean to cloud anyone's judgment. I stand by what I said. I was surprised how close the key elements of the resort were, including some cabins.t

I am pretty sure those cabins are not rented to just anyone. According to allearsnet those are used exclusively by Disney management and corporate guests. The cabin loops that everyone stays in are FAR from the pioneer hall area.

If you look at this map the cabin loops are on the left side ( loop numbers 2200 +), the Pioneer Hall area is near Bay Lake on the right side.

http://allears.net/acc/FWMap.pdf

I am pretty sure those cabins are not rented to just anyone. According to allearsnet those are used exclusively by Disney management and corporate guests. The cabin loops that everyone stays in are FAR from the pioneer hall area.

If you look at this map the cabin loops are on the left side ( loop numbers 2200 +), the Pioneer Hall area is near Bay Lake on the right side.

http://allears.net/acc/FWMap.pdf

You're right. Whatever that cabin is that's close to Pioneer Hall it's not the cabin that the average guests stay in.

Very cool.....we are planning to spend one day at the cabin w/o going to a park. Any suggestions on what to do there with the kids....ages 7 and 3.

Walk along the beach, rent a boat, take the trail over to Wilderness Lodge, play games on the deck (get some travel games if they will fit into your luggage), just walk around your loop, at night go to the Chip and Dale campfire program, grill out for dinner (probably a bit more expensive than at home but you can get supplies at the campground - bring your own matches or lighter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter