Forecast - thunderstorms next 10 days

At 7AM Friday, the storm will be over Tallahassee continuing northeast into South GA. I would watch the radar closely, once the storm's center is on I-75, you can leave because the worst will be long gone by the time you make it there. If I had to give you a time, it would be 3-4 in the afternoon. Now your only worry is what condition will that area be in after the storm, flooding etc.

I'm a meteorologist so you can trust me! This is partially a joke and true.

Maybe you can help me. We are supposed to be flying out of JAX on Saturday at 7:30 pm and flying into NYC. We are thinking of cancelling our flights (jetblue is waiving fee) and renting a minivan and driving home, leaving Friday afternoon. We would probably drive 8 hrs Friday and 8 hrs Saturday (and this is not considering any flight delays). We would be saving around $500 between our flight refunds and 1 less night at the Polynesian. If we fly it will take around 8 hrs between our trip up to JAX and then security, flight, 1 1/2 hrs from NYC airport. We would be going I-95. Do you think 95 will be OK to drive on? I am thinking we would be leaving Orlando at around 2pm Friday.

You can't picture this storm as a normal hurricane with two sides. It's one-sided so once the center gets to a point, it will quickly be over with. Say for example, the worst weather will be right over I-75 when the storm center is on Tallahassee at 7 a.m. Friday. By noon Friday, the sun will be shining in Tallahassee and maybe as far east as I-75. I hope I'm not causing more confusion, just trying to indicate no you shouldn't drive through a hurricane but this will be in and out.

Maybe you can help me. We are supposed to be flying out of JAX on Saturday at 7:30 pm and flying into NYC. We are thinking of cancelling our flights (jetblue is waiving fee) and renting a minivan and driving home, leaving Friday afternoon. We would probably drive 8 hrs Friday and 8 hrs Saturday (and this is not considering any flight delays). We would be saving around $500 between our flight refunds and 1 less night at the Polynesian. If we fly it will take around 8 hrs between our trip up to JAX and then security, flight, 1 1/2 hrs from NYC airport. We would be going I-95. Do you think 95 will be OK to drive on? I am thinking we would be leaving Orlando at around 2pm Friday.

If I was you, I would go with the original plan to fly out Saturday from JAX. I hate to say that because it would save you money the other route but you will be driving behind the path of a hurricane or a tropical storm. Chances are at some point flooding will be a problem. In my opinion, it's not worth the worry as the entire drive from Florida through the Carolinas you will have to watch where you get off the interstate since there could be flooding. I'm not familiar with how I-95 can flood as I'm a meteorologist in Louisiana but there could be portions of the interstate that may flood just from rainfall.

If I was you, I would go with the original plan to fly out Saturday from JAX. I hate to say that because it would save you money the other route but you will be driving behind the path of a hurricane or a tropical storm. Chances are at some point flooding will be a problem. In my opinion, it's not worth the worry as the entire drive from Florida through the Carolinas you will have to watch where you get off the interstate since there could be flooding. I'm not familiar with how I-95 can flood as I'm a meteorologist in Louisiana but there could be portions of the interstate that may flood just from rainfall.

Thanks for the advice. I will see what they are saying about the storm tomorrow and then decide. I looked at 95 and it's not real close to the coast along North and South Carolina, only Georgia. I don't like flying as it is and flying thru the storm doesn't sound that great either and who knows what kind of delays will be caused by this as well.

Thanks for the advice. I will see what they are saying about the storm tomorrow and then decide. I looked at 95 and it's not real close to the coast along North and South Carolina, only Georgia. I don't like flying as it is and flying thru the storm doesn't sound that great either and who knows what kind of delays will be caused by this as well.

Flying on Saturday, the storm will be long gone so no bumpiness from weather. I guess if possible, driving by car but leaving Saturday would be better. I know it still doesn't save you money that extra night.

We have cancelled our WDW trips so many time over the years for unforeseen financial reasons and we finally got it together to take this trip and now this storm is threatening it. We are flying from Philadelphia Sat am and from what it looks like the weather in Philly will be beautiful and the weather in Orlando will be beautiful but all heck will be breaking out in between. I have no idea what to do except pray the predicted track most further east over the next 24 hours. Sigh. Need some pixie dust!! Thanks folks!!

2 more days???? :tigger:

We have cancelled our WDW trips so many time over the years for unforeseen financial reasons and we finally got it together to take this trip and now this storm is threatening it. We are flying from Philadelphia Sat am and from what it looks like the weather in Philly will be beautiful and the weather in Orlando will be beautiful but all heck will be breaking out in between. I have no idea what to do except pray the predicted track most further east over the next 24 hours. Sigh. Need some pixie dust!! Thanks folks!!

I think we'll be okay! It will be gone by then and the flight shouldn't be affected by it. Of course Southwest is the only airline that has MCO on their advisory list though for 9/1-9/3 and that is what got me nervous yesterday. No other airline has MCO on their list. I sure hope they update it. I just hope it is gone by Saturday (which it really should be). I am not changing my flight, and I am still checking in at the 24 hour mark tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that we'll be fine and there won't be changes!

Last edited:
We just got in last night with a 2hr delay. First timer going. Would it be better to tour MK today or Friday? No evening party tix for me tomorrow though. My poncho is ready!

I know! I am supposed to check in to the cabins at the fort on Friday! Ack! We are in Tampa and all schools are cancelled for Thursday. I hope this thing just keeps on moving!

Watching Hermine and thought about the DISers heading to the World this weekend. It looks like she's a fast-moving storm, so she should be away from WDW and up in my neighborhood (eastern NC) by tomorrow afternoon/evening, leaving clear skies for everyone to enjoy Mickey!
Hoping for safe travels, on-time flights, and lots of fun for everyone heading down there in the next couple of days!

I have been sweating over Hermine for days, and now my travel day is here. I'm sending happy thoughts and prayers for safe travel out to all those who are going to be trying to thread the needle tonight and tomorrow by land (like me coming down I-95) or by air. I'll see you all at the happiest place on earth!

We just got in last night with a 2hr delay. First timer going. Would it be better to tour MK today or Friday? No evening party tix for me tomorrow though. My poncho is ready!
today doesn't look bad, you might get rain this afternoon but the morning looks clear

We are flying in Saturday morning from Philly, and we aren't changing anything. It should be gone by then hopefully. We're flying Southwest, and they are making me nervous having Sept 3rd on their advisory list and Orlando. Other airlines don't even include Orlando on their list, or 9/3. We are just going to keep our plans as they are and hope nothing needs to change.

So are we Tinkerbella16 but on AA. Crossing my fingers it passes before we arrive, but bring ponchos and extra shoes!

So are we, let's cross our fingers it's gone before we arrive! We only have 3 park days and FINALLY got 7DMT FP+s, so we can't really modify much!

This storm is going to be smack in the middle of southern Georgia Friday morning. Right in the way of the flight corridor from northern states. I can't get an answer if planes will go around it from the airlines. We're thinking of changing flights to tonight when it's still over water. Friday is a travel day but I feel compelled to be at Disney regardless. WHAT KIND OF OBSESSION IS THIS PEOPLE?

Tonight is probably that time you want to be avoiding travel along the northern Florida interstates. Anytime Friday afternoon and beyond looks fine.

This storm is going to be smack in the middle of southern Georgia Friday morning. Right in the way of the flight corridor from northern states. I can't get an answer if planes will go around it from the airlines. We're thinking of changing flights to tonight when it's still over water. Friday is a travel day but I feel compelled to be at Disney regardless. WHAT KIND OF OBSESSION IS THIS PEOPLE?
The only issue with a flight tonight is what about the weather in Orlando? Now it won't be as bad as the northern part of the state but there will be some rough weather this evening into tonight in Orlando. Depending on what time your flight is tomorrow morning and where it's coming from, they might not have to deviate that far. Once the center passes, there really is nothing on the other side of the storm.

...We are flying from Philadelphia Sat am and from what it looks like the weather in Philly will be beautiful and the weather in Orlando will be beautiful but all heck will be breaking out in between. I have no idea what to do except pray the predicted track most further east over the next 24 hours. ...

If you're correct, and right now it sounds like you are as the storm isn't supposed to affect the Philly area until late Saturday at the earliest, you should be in good shape. If you're concerned about a bumpy flight between PHL and MCO, they'll pick a flight path to avoid all or most of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter